In at South Carolina 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSAT Taker

Bronze

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Post by LSAT Taker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:54 pm

Ok, so who has RSVPed for ASD (I assume every AS received an email from Dean Palmer today.)? I haven't yet, but since most other ASDs I've got are on March 19, I will likely attend the one in Columbia. Also, do TLSers generally get together separately at ASDs?

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:28 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:
But Tenn. You do? I meant ranking wise.
I see what you mean. Frankly, I don't see much significance in USNWR rankings alone. Rather, the quality of education/life (I know this is too broad a concept, but I am excluding the quality of facilities here.) and employment prospects are what I mostly see. When I fixed your previous post, I had those two aspects in mind. Based on my limited research, I find it hard to say that either FSU or Miami would provide better options (The FL market in general is highly saturated, and I personally don't see any remarkable superiority in quality of education/life from either of them.). UTK, however, seems to be a solid school when both aspects are considered. That could be just me, but I hope this makes some sense to you.

just wait till 1L OCI and then you will learn about the cut throat competition and lack of jobs that surrounds this state!

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:46 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:
But Tenn. You do? I meant ranking wise.
I see what you mean. Frankly, I don't see much significance in USNWR rankings alone. Rather, the quality of education/life (I know this is too broad a concept, but I am excluding the quality of facilities here.) and employment prospects are what I mostly see. When I fixed your previous post, I had those two aspects in mind. Based on my limited research, I find it hard to say that either FSU or Miami would provide better options (The FL market in general is highly saturated, and I personally don't see any remarkable superiority in quality of education/life from either of them.). UTK, however, seems to be a solid school when both aspects are considered. That could be just me, but I hope this makes some sense to you.

just wait till 1L OCI and then you will learn about the cut throat competition and lack of jobs that surrounds this state!
It is unfortunate, but I think most of us ITT are already anticipating that. All I'm saying is that such a situation can hardly be avoided by opting for one of the two other schools 140orbust mentioned.

bmili

Bronze

Post by bmili » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:59 am

Last edited by bmili on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gamecock227

New

Post by Gamecock227 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:16 pm

bmili wrote:Anyone have an idea on getting accepted from the waitlist at SC? Also, what about establishing in state residency? If I had a wife that worked full time in SC would that be sufficient? Applying next cycle and am 157/3.08 with 6 years work experience. Based on LSAT/GPA alone I see on LSN im right on the edge of the waitlist/acceptance line. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I went to USC undergraduate and basically what the main things they want are in order of importance: TAXES, 12 Months of Continually Residence, Drivers License, Voter Registration. I assume since you are married then either you or your spouse needs to have this taken care of. As soon as I showed them a tax return from SC I got in-state tuition two days later. Many schools are like this, they say your sole purpose of living in state __ cannot be College etc. but if you work and pay taxes you now have TWO reasons to live in that state and of course taxes fund state schools. I got in - state tuition the start of my 4th semester only because I didnt get a license 12 months ahead of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bmili

Bronze

Post by bmili » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Last edited by bmili on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

sstufken

New

Post by sstufken » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:52 pm

anyone hear anything about scholarships yet?

140orBust

New

Post by 140orBust » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:03 am

March is all they're saying for now. Anyone going to admit students day March 25th?

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:30 am

sstufken wrote:anyone hear anything about scholarships yet?
Nothing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:42 am

Aargh, South Carolina, hurry up with your dang scholarship info!!!!!
There's no way I can justify the cost of out of state to a third tier when I have significant scholarships to second tiers, yet I do have a weakness for South Carolina:( I live too far away to justify going to the ASW unless I know I'll get scholarship money, so I really need to hear something soon!
Okay, enough of my whining:)

140orBust

New

Post by 140orBust » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Official Date for Scholarship notification has been set for Friday March 19. Good Luck

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:16 pm

140orBust wrote:Official Date for Scholarship notification has been set for Friday March 19. Good Luck
They email this or something?

140orBust

New

Post by 140orBust » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:29 pm

Thats the word from a board member.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gamecock227

New

Post by Gamecock227 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:42 pm

So are you saying we will never get scholarships since Friday March 19th isn't a date on the 2011 calendar? Lol jk I'm sure it was a typo next weekend makes sense since ASD is the following week.

judicialdreams

New

Post by judicialdreams » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Any advice from current students about places to look for housing off-campus? I would really like to be within walking/biking distance to avoid the parking and gas prices. Also, I'm married, so at least a two bedroom apartment or house.

gogamecocks

New

Post by gogamecocks » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:33 pm

judicialdreams wrote:Any advice from current students about places to look for housing off-campus? I would really like to be within walking/biking distance to avoid the parking and gas prices. Also, I'm married, so at least a two bedroom apartment or house.
I went to UG at USC and work for the University now, and live less than a mile from campus. There are tons of houses available within walking/biking distance to the campus. Some are more undergrady, but there's a solid mix of families around. I'd scan property management places, you probably won't have many listings until summer though. Don't live behind the park behind 5 points. Unless you don't value your electronics.

Any questions, send me a PM
Last edited by gogamecocks on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:17 pm

judicialdreams wrote:Any advice from current students about places to look for housing off-campus? I would really like to be within walking/biking distance to avoid the parking and gas prices. Also, I'm married, so at least a two bedroom apartment or house.
Quite a bit of information from last year's thread:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=100740
You'd have to winnow out some irrelevant posts, but the entire thread consists of only 12 pages. So are you 100% set on South Carolina?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

judicialdreams

New

Post by judicialdreams » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:37 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:
You'd have to winnow out some irrelevant posts, but the entire thread consists of only 12 pages. So are you 100% set on South Carolina?
Yes, I am set on South Carolina. I am in-state and I would like to practice in the state after law school.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:49 am

LSAT Taker wrote:Ok, so who has RSVPed for ASD (I assume every AS received an email from Dean Palmer today.)? I haven't yet, but since most other ASDs I've got are on March 19, I will likely attend the one in Columbia. Also, do TLSers generally get together separately at ASDs?
Just RSVPed! I'm wondering what I should wear now...yeah yeah I know that question has been covered in other threads, but it's still on my mind. Pencil skirt and cardigan? Casual, but conservative dress? I don't have a lot of pants other than jeans (no particular reason why; I just prefer skirts). Too many choices...ladies or 1Ls who have been to USC's ASD, what do you recommend? Also, will there be a lot of walking (I just spent Spring Break running all over Disney World, so I definitely don't mind walking, I just need to know if it's a heel day or a comfy flats day)?

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:Ok, so who has RSVPed for ASD (I assume every AS received an email from Dean Palmer today.)? I haven't yet, but since most other ASDs I've got are on March 19, I will likely attend the one in Columbia. Also, do TLSers generally get together separately at ASDs?
Just RSVPed! I'm wondering what I should wear now...yeah yeah I know that question has been covered in other threads, but it's still on my mind. Pencil skirt and cardigan? Casual, but conservative dress? I don't have a lot of pants other than jeans (no particular reason why; I just prefer skirts). Too many choices...ladies or 1Ls who have been to USC's ASD, what do you recommend? Also, will there be a lot of walking (I just spent Spring Break running all over Disney World, so I definitely don't mind walking, I just need to know if it's a heel day or a comfy flats day)?
I doubt that there will a lot of walking. The building is relatively small in size, and they already told us that the faculty/staff parking lot (only a dozen steps away from the building) will be open to the attendees. So there shouldn't be a huge issue with your Manolo Blahnik Ivanovna and Chanel skirt only if you get there early enough to find a decent parking spot. FWIW, I would most likely wear my running short from Kmart and Flip Flops from CVS, if I end up attending.

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:01 pm

judicialdreams wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:
Yes, I am set on South Carolina. I am in-state and I would like to practice in the state after law school.
It seems that you have solid reasons to go for UofSC. I would recommend that you start by crossing off any housing options near Five Points. Once that is accomplished, you should be in good shape.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:34 am

My file just went to committee, so excited!

Gamecock227

New

Post by Gamecock227 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:57 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:My file just went to committee, so excited!
Is this for General Admittance or Scholarships?

Status Checker doesnt show scholoarship meetings does it?

jazzmastersc

New

Post by jazzmastersc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:06 pm

I live in Charleston and would like to have the option to practice here in the future. The market is over-saturated, and most of my friends that have jobs here were either high in their class @ USC or went to higher ranked schools like W&M, Wake, or Emory. I was a Gamecock for undergrad and am weighing $$$ at USC versus partial scholarship offers from W&L and Emory. A disproportionate amount of my decision will be based on how much I want to see Jadaveon Clowney play and the ability to play basketball at the Strom.

gogamecocks

New

Post by gogamecocks » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:59 pm

jazzmastersc wrote:I live in Charleston and would like to have the option to practice here in the future. The market is over-saturated, and most of my friends that have jobs here were either high in their class @ USC or went to higher ranked schools like W&M, Wake, or Emory. I was a Gamecock for undergrad and am weighing $$$ at USC versus partial scholarship offers from W&L and Emory. A disproportionate amount of my decision will be based on how much I want to see Jadaveon Clowney play and the ability to play basketball at the Strom.
DOO DOO!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”