In at South Carolina 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pokerlaw

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby pokerlaw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:47 am

Gamecock227 wrote:Got that magical miniature white letter today! Just to make sure has anyone seen anything in their letters about scholarships or are they all strictly acceptances thus far?

My acceptance mentioned I would be placed in consideration for scholarship.

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Does anyone think they have cracked how USC decides on the instate equalizer scholarship. It seems like LSN shows people from all over the board getting the "scholarship." USC is my top choice with that $$ 41K is not worth it but I loved Columbia as an undergrad and regret leaving or I wouldn't be asking this.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:30 am

1. Has anyone heard anything from SC recently?
2. How many of you have already secured $$?
3. Are you planning on attending ASD? (When is their ASD anyway? I feel too lazy to look it up.)

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:16 am

LSAT Taker wrote:1. Has anyone heard anything from SC recently?
3. Are you planning on attending ASD? (When is their ASD anyway? I feel too lazy to look it up.)

I'm still waiting on my scholly. I don't think they are going to get anything out before ASD which is in the beginning of March(can't remember the exact date and don't have my acceptance letter at work).

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:09 pm

pokerlaw wrote:

I'm still waiting on my scholly. I don't think they are going to get anything out before ASD which is in the beginning of March(can't remember the exact date and don't have my acceptance letter at work).

Thannks, pokerlaw. I guess they are more focused on the new dean now than their incoming class.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:48 am

Last year I didn't receive any information about a scholarship until late March (I was accepted in early January). After ASD there really wasn't that much information released until the summer about everything involved in enrolling. So for you not to be hearing anything is on par for USC . . . the information is held forever and then dumped on you all at the same time (atleast from what happened last year)

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:52 am

I was wrong. ASD is March 26th.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:06 am

pokerlaw wrote:I was wrong. ASD is March 26th.

Thanks. It seems that we still have some time to kill.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:09 am

SAOJD10 wrote:Last year I didn't receive any information about a scholarship until late March (I was accepted in early January). After ASD there really wasn't that much information released until the summer about everything involved in enrolling. So for you not to be hearing anything is on par for USC . . . the information is held forever and then dumped on you all at the same time (atleast from what happened last year)

As always, many thanks to you, SAOJD10!

So what are your general thoughts on UofSC after spending the first six months of LS there?

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:05 am

I'm generally happy about my decision to come to USC, although law school itself can be a drag. But at least your upcoming class has the benefit from a brand new curriculum . . . which all of us are jealous of.

140orBust

Postby 140orBust » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:11 am

How do you think job prospects look coming out of USC? Do you feel like the larger law firms in Charleston and Hilton head recruit heavily out of USC, as opposed to just Columbia firms? If somebody was dead set on practicing in S.C would you recommend they attend USC over say a better but regional school like FSU, Miami, or Tenn.? Thanks

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:12 am

SAOJD10 wrote:I'm generally happy about my decision to come to USC, although law school itself can be a drag. But at least your upcoming class has the benefit from a brand new curriculum . . . which all of us are jealous of.

Can you please elaborate? I'm totally in the dark on that one.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:13 am

140orBust wrote:How do you think job prospects look coming out of USC? Do you feel like the larger law firms in Charleston and Hilton head recruit heavily out of USC, as opposed to just Columbia firms? If somebody was dead set on practicing in S.C would you recommend they attend USC over say a better but regional school like FSU, Miami, or Tenn.? Thanks

FTFY.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:44 am

LSAT Taker wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote:I'm generally happy about my decision to come to USC, although law school itself can be a drag. But at least your upcoming class has the benefit from a brand new curriculum . . . which all of us are jealous of.

1L's here usually take first semester: tort I, propert I, contract I, legal writing I, and legal research. For the second semester they take: torts II, propert II, contracts II, con law I, civ pro I, and legal writing II. Then as a 2L civ pro II, con law II and crim procedure are mandatory (for graduation).

For you lucky upcoming 1L's all these classes are being merged into only 1 semester each, and legal research and writing are being merged into 1 class also (although I am unsure about if you will still have legal writing I and II). Basically it just frees up more space for you to be able to take more classes (that you want to take) during 2L year and less of a course load during 1L.

edit: you still have to take crim procedure

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:44 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:

1L's here usually take first semester: tort I, propert I, contract I, legal writing I, and legal research. For the second semester they take: torts II, propert II, contracts II, con law I, civ pro I, and legal writing II. Then as a 2L civ pro II, con law II and crim procedure are mandatory (for graduation).

For you lucky upcoming 1L's all these classes are being merged into only 1 semester each, and legal research and writing are being merged into 1 class also (although I am unsure about if you will still have legal writing I and II). Basically it just frees up more space for you to be able to take more classes (that you want to take) during 2L year and less of a course load during 1L.

edit: you still have to take crim procedure

How interesting! Do you think this change has anything to do with the USNWR rankings or other factors over which the school has been mulling with respect to "overhaul?" Thanks so much for sharing all this.

BTW, how was this announced? It would give me some vicarious pleasure if I can access the original source (a press release, news articles, etc.)

case0403

Postby case0403 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:10 pm

My status checker changed to "Decision in the mail." After reading most of the post it seems a change to this status is a good thing, am I right? Has anyone heard how USC dings people?

jazzmastersc

Postby jazzmastersc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:58 pm

In today with a full ride via snail mail!!!
I will probably attend the ASD. If anyone has questions PM me as I went to South Carolina for undergrad.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:10 pm

jazzmastersc wrote:

In today with a full ride via snail mail!!!
I will probably attend the ASD. If anyone has questions PM me as I went to South Carolina for undergrad.

Congrats, and "WOW" on the full-ride offer! I'm still awaiting ANY scholly offer from SC.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:13 pm

case0403 wrote:My status checker changed to "Decision in the mail." After reading most of the post it seems a change to this status is a good thing, am I right? Has anyone heard how USC dings people?

I'm under the impression that it is still too early for SC (i.e. UofSC) to send out rejections, so hopefully what your SC (i.e. status checker, no pun intended) indicates is that you're in.

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:16 pm

I'm waiting for my $$$ as well. Nice to see they have started handing it out.

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:30 pm

The money they have handed out thus far based on LSN and here is only for the candidates that have extremely high numbers for USC. And from years past if you are a non URM there's basically two scholarships. In state equalizer and the dean's full
Ride. I am guessing the vast majority is still staring 2-3 weeks in the face to wait after calling the office and looking over past years on lsn. Which sucks bc I'm down to LSU (1st deposit due 4/1) or USC money is the ONLY factor that will determine where I go.

140orBust

Postby 140orBust » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:06 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:
140orBust wrote:How do you think job prospects look coming out of USC? Do you feel like the larger law firms in Charleston and Hilton head recruit heavily out of USC, as opposed to just Columbia firms? If somebody was dead set on practicing in S.C would you recommend they attend USC over say a better but regional school like FSU, Miami, or Tenn.? Thanks

FTFY.

FTFY? FSU isn't regional?

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:25 am

140orBust wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:

FTFY.

What I meant was that I do not find FSU or Miami necessarily better than UofSC.

140orBust

Postby 140orBust » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:56 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:
140orBust wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:

FTFY.

What I meant was that I do not find FSU or Miami necessarily better than UofSC.

But Tenn. You do? I meant ranking wise.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:47 pm

But Tenn. You do? I meant ranking wise.

I see what you mean. Frankly, I don't see much significance in USNWR rankings alone. Rather, the quality of education/life (I know this is too broad a concept, but I am excluding the quality of facilities here.) and employment prospects are what I mostly see. When I fixed your previous post, I had those two aspects in mind. Based on my limited research, I find it hard to say that either FSU or Miami would provide better options (The FL market in general is highly saturated, and I personally don't see any remarkable superiority in quality of education/life from either of them.). UTK, however, seems to be a solid school when both aspects are considered. That could be just me, but I hope this makes some sense to you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”