In at South Carolina 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby eandy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Bless wrote:This is copy/pasted verbatim from a buddy of mine:

They've raised tuition substantially (USC Law is far more expensive than, say, UGA Law) to try to cover the shortfall, but all it has succeeded in doing is driving away out of state students who don't want to pay 35k a year. Aside from that fact that the facilities are aging, the performance of the students has declined as well.

So uh... don't go, lol. Nah but seriously now is not the time to be entering USC Law. They've got a lot of restructuring coming up and its going to be a tumultuous few years to say the least as they adjust to new competition, a restricted budget, and a complete staff overhaul.

This This THIS.
With schools like UGA giving OOS students instate, it's hard for South Carolina to keep good instate students. Unless South Carolina steps up and starts giving its instate students more $$$, they're not going to get them at all. Despite wanting to practice in SC, UGA was just as cheap--making the decision to reject South Carolina much easier.

workerdrone
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby workerdrone » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 pm

What is the progression of the status checker at S Carolina? How long are others waiting at "File Complete; ready for review"

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Got the admit letter in the mail today. Most likely I will be withdrawing after getting the scholly info.

User avatar
lvsmithmarsh
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Bless wrote:This is copy/pasted verbatim from a buddy of mine:

haha do I know anything... I was a USC undergrad, many of my best friends are graduates of USC Law, I lived in Columbia for 15 years, my dad is a professor there, and my mom holds a very high position within the university. Much of what follows is information I've received from her (she would not let me or my brother apply to USC LAW, fyi):

USC's law school is falling apart. The legislature continues to slash higher education funding b/c the recession has left huge holes in the budget, but even before that they were cutting back b/c we're one of the reddest of the red states and we don't believe in subsidies or taxes. The lack of funding has meant that professors and administrative staff are leaving the school for greener pastures, and have been for some time. They've raised tuition substantially (USC Law is far more expensive than, say, UGA Law) to try to cover the shortfall, but all it has succeeded in doing is driving away out of state students who don't want to pay 35k a year. Aside from that fact that the facilities are aging, the performance of the students has declined as well. USC recently fell out of the top 100, and alumni are fucking pissed. They're so pissed at the decade long slide, in fact, that the law school's development office can't get any of them to donate money (many recent graduates are also resentful of what they see as a system that insulates professors from criticism by the students, and as such are distrustful of the bureaucracy and have no compelling reason to give). This sort of cycle perpetuates itself: lack of performance b/c of lack of money, but lack of money b/c of lack of performance. There have been dozens of proposals for partially subsidized construction of a new law school, but the money isn't there, and it won't be for some time, and USC's undergraduate program likely isn't going to pony up for it since so much of their money is being funneled into a research campus much like North Carolina's Research Triangle outside Raleigh. To top things off a second law school (mine) was opened 8 years ago by prominent, frustrated USC Law grads w/ lots of money, and they poached the best professors and staff. A consulting firm was hired late last year to review the law school and make recommendations. The report was bleak: almost every area of the school received the equivalent of a D+ grade. There are ways to turn it around, but that ship won't be righted for a decade at best.

So uh... don't go, lol. Nah but seriously now is not the time to be entering USC Law. They've got a lot of restructuring coming up and its going to be a tumultuous few years to say the least as they adjust to new competition, a restricted budget, and a complete staff overhaul.


Buddy makes some really salient points, I think - many of which are very true. It's worth noting, however, that Buddy likely goes to Charleston, which is geographically South Carolina's competitor but doesn't - to my knowledge - hold as much sway in the Columbia legal market as South Carolina. No idea about its reputation in Charleston.

The reality, as I've said before, is that South Carolina likes to hang on to its own. Browse some of the big firms in Columbia... 85-90% of their associates and partners came out of the University of South Carolina. Of course, this kind of insularity says something about the state as a whole, but that's another issue altogether.

If you want to live and practice in South Carolina, go to the University of South Carolina. Going to a higher-ranked regional school (like Georgia or Alabama) might give you some street cred but wouldn't give you the same entree to the South Carolina legal market you'd get from U. of South Carolina... you'd have to do just as much legwork, I think, as you would with any other out-of-state market.

If you don't have strong feelings about staying in South Carolina, however... well, that's another matter.

User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby Bless » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:08 am

Yes, he goes to Charleston. Good call.


However, it is obvious that him going to Charleston didn't provide a bias, given his strong ties to USC.

User avatar
legalprincess
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby legalprincess » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:13 am

Yeah, I think he has some good points, but at the same time, for people planning to practice in South Carolina, it's still the best bet.
I, on the other hand, have no idea where I want to practice!

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:16 am

Got IN this morning via little white envelope. Good luck to those still waiting!

judicialdreams
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby judicialdreams » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:40 am

pinkcamellia wrote:Got IN this morning via little white envelope. Good luck to those still waiting!


Congratulations! I am still waiting on my little white envelope. I only live an hour up the road, but it is still not here (sent 2/1). Do you think you will attend?

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:44 am

I
judicialdreams wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:Got IN this morning via little white envelope. Good luck to those still waiting!


Congratulations! I am still waiting on my little white envelope. I only live an hour up the road, but it is still not here (sent 2/1). Do you think you will attend?


I'm not sure yet. I've never been to Columbia, so I think a visit + scholarship offer would help me decide. Is USC your first choice? I bet the deal for in-state is unbeatable.

judicialdreams
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby judicialdreams » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:28 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:I
judicialdreams wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:Got IN this morning via little white envelope. Good luck to those still waiting!


Congratulations! I am still waiting on my little white envelope. I only live an hour up the road, but it is still not here (sent 2/1). Do you think you will attend?


I'm not sure yet. I've never been to Columbia, so I think a visit + scholarship offer would help me decide. Is USC your first choice? I bet the deal for in-state is unbeatable.


I think it is my first choice because I plan to work and live in South Carolina. I applied to a few schools in the midwest, but I don't see myself living there permanently. In-state tuition is still fairly expensive, but hopefully a little scholarship would help. Where are you from?

I know there has been some discussion about areas of improvement for USC and so I went ahead and read the Blue Ribbon Panel Review Report- http://www.sc.edu/provost/newsdetail.php?nid=113

It was completed in September and can highlight some of the issues discussed in previous posts. It is 8 pages, but definitely worth the read.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 pm

judicialdreams wrote: I think it is my first choice because I plan to work and live in South Carolina. I applied to a few schools in the midwest, but I don't see myself living there permanently. In-state tuition is still fairly expensive, but hopefully a little scholarship would help. Where are you from?

I know there has been some discussion about areas of improvement for USC and so I went ahead and read the Blue Ribbon Panel Review Report- http://www.sc.edu/provost/newsdetail.php?nid=113

It was completed in September and can highlight some of the issues discussed in previous posts. It is 8 pages, but definitely worth the read.


I'm from Georgia, but most of my family is in North Carolina or Florida now, so South Carolina seemed like a good place to apply.

Thanks for that link! I skimmed over a few things but that's a really thorough report. The part about leaving the leaking bag there for days on end is pretty disgusting. I think the facilities are a real concern, as well as the lack of leadership they addressed. It's making me lean towards withdrawing.

User avatar
lvsmithmarsh
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:21 pm

judicialdreams wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:I
judicialdreams wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:Got IN this morning via little white envelope. Good luck to those still waiting!


Congratulations! I am still waiting on my little white envelope. I only live an hour up the road, but it is still not here (sent 2/1). Do you think you will attend?


I'm not sure yet. I've never been to Columbia, so I think a visit + scholarship offer would help me decide. Is USC your first choice? I bet the deal for in-state is unbeatable.


I think it is my first choice because I plan to work and live in South Carolina. I applied to a few schools in the midwest, but I don't see myself living there permanently. In-state tuition is still fairly expensive, but hopefully a little scholarship would help. Where are you from?

I know there has been some discussion about areas of improvement for USC and so I went ahead and read the Blue Ribbon Panel Review Report- http://www.sc.edu/provost/newsdetail.php?nid=113

It was completed in September and can highlight some of the issues discussed in previous posts. It is 8 pages, but definitely worth the read.


Thanks for linking to the report. It's a good piece of info for anyone considering South Carolina.

I also wanted to say that, despite some of the institutional problems of the law school, because of its situation as THE South Carolina school, it does draw some really bright and excellent students. I had the privilege to work with many South Carolina Law graduates in my previous job, and they were intelligent, capable attorneys who were also just really good people. I'm sure you'll find your duds at South Carolina like you'll find at any school, but I imagine you'll also find yourself going to school with many great, smart people. Don't underrate that.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby soullesswonder » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:39 pm

lvsmithmarsh wrote:
Bless wrote:This is copy/pasted verbatim from a buddy of mine:

haha do I know anything... I was a USC undergrad, many of my best friends are graduates of USC Law, I lived in Columbia for 15 years, my dad is a professor there, and my mom holds a very high position within the university. Much of what follows is information I've received from her (she would not let me or my brother apply to USC LAW, fyi):

USC's law school is falling apart. The legislature continues to slash higher education funding b/c the recession has left huge holes in the budget, but even before that they were cutting back b/c we're one of the reddest of the red states and we don't believe in subsidies or taxes. The lack of funding has meant that professors and administrative staff are leaving the school for greener pastures, and have been for some time. They've raised tuition substantially (USC Law is far more expensive than, say, UGA Law) to try to cover the shortfall, but all it has succeeded in doing is driving away out of state students who don't want to pay 35k a year. Aside from that fact that the facilities are aging, the performance of the students has declined as well. USC recently fell out of the top 100, and alumni are fucking pissed. They're so pissed at the decade long slide, in fact, that the law school's development office can't get any of them to donate money (many recent graduates are also resentful of what they see as a system that insulates professors from criticism by the students, and as such are distrustful of the bureaucracy and have no compelling reason to give). This sort of cycle perpetuates itself: lack of performance b/c of lack of money, but lack of money b/c of lack of performance. There have been dozens of proposals for partially subsidized construction of a new law school, but the money isn't there, and it won't be for some time, and USC's undergraduate program likely isn't going to pony up for it since so much of their money is being funneled into a research campus much like North Carolina's Research Triangle outside Raleigh. To top things off a second law school (mine) was opened 8 years ago by prominent, frustrated USC Law grads w/ lots of money, and they poached the best professors and staff. A consulting firm was hired late last year to review the law school and make recommendations. The report was bleak: almost every area of the school received the equivalent of a D+ grade. There are ways to turn it around, but that ship won't be righted for a decade at best.

So uh... don't go, lol. Nah but seriously now is not the time to be entering USC Law. They've got a lot of restructuring coming up and its going to be a tumultuous few years to say the least as they adjust to new competition, a restricted budget, and a complete staff overhaul.


Buddy makes some really salient points, I think - many of which are very true. It's worth noting, however, that Buddy likely goes to Charleston, which is geographically South Carolina's competitor but doesn't - to my knowledge - hold as much sway in the Columbia legal market as South Carolina. No idea about its reputation in Charleston.

The reality, as I've said before, is that South Carolina likes to hang on to its own. Browse some of the big firms in Columbia... 85-90% of their associates and partners came out of the University of South Carolina. Of course, this kind of insularity says something about the state as a whole, but that's another issue altogether.

If you want to live and practice in South Carolina, go to the University of South Carolina. Going to a higher-ranked regional school (like Georgia or Alabama) might give you some street cred but wouldn't give you the same entree to the South Carolina legal market you'd get from U. of South Carolina... you'd have to do just as much legwork, I think, as you would with any other out-of-state market.

If you don't have strong feelings about staying in South Carolina, however... well, that's another matter.


I'm from Columbia and I think you're slightly misrepresenting the state's parochialism. If you're a native of SC and/or attended USC for undergrad, you will not be appreciably disadvantaged by going to law school elsewhere, especially if you attend in a neighboring state. The reason that the majority of partners and associates in Columbia are from USC, beyond the fact that it's the local school where you can literally walk from the offices to the campus is 1) Columbia is not the type of market that draws major interest from law students without a connection to the state and 2) Typically you don't see a lot of "boomerang" South Carolinians who leave the state for UG and/or LS and then return to start their professional careers. I don't dispute the main thrust of your argument - the good ole boys' club is a huge deal in SC - but if you've grown up in the state and know the culture you aren't going to be "locked out" b/c you went elsewhere for law school, particularly in light of the recent turmoil. I'm not trying to slight USC Law (I know some good people there), but I think locals now understand why an enterprising student might want to get a law degree elsewhere.

judicialdreams
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby judicialdreams » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Received acceptance letter today. I cannot attend admitted students day due to a wedding in another state, but hope to visit the campus soon.

wamaxey
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby wamaxey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:30 pm

workerdrone wrote:What is the progression of the status checker at S Carolina? How long are others waiting at "File Complete; ready for review"


I'm there too. Submitted 1/25, went complete 2/2. In-state, non-URM, 3.35/160 - really hope I get in, I'd love to be at USC Law.

wamaxey
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby wamaxey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:37 pm

It says decision letter mailed 2/8 and since i'm in SC i should get that letter tomorrow. Hope it's a yes.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby swilson215 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Just in case anyone is wondering, I called the office today to see what the timeline is for scholarship offers -- the sweet lady I spoke with said she wished she could tell me it would be in the next few days, but that it might take until March.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:41 pm

swilson215 wrote:Just in case anyone is wondering, I called the office today to see what the timeline is for scholarship offers -- the sweet lady I spoke with said she wished she could tell me it would be in the next few days, but that it might take until March.


Thanks for the update! I was wondering the same thing.

wamaxey
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby wamaxey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:26 pm

I'm in. Got the letter in the mail today. Definitely amped.

User avatar
Mattfl88
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby Mattfl88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Congrats! My status changed to decision letter sent yesterday morning. I'm hoping I get the letter tomorrow but I am in Florida. I'm 3.6 163 so I'm hoping for an acceptance.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby swilson215 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:Congrats! My status changed to decision letter sent yesterday morning. I'm hoping I get the letter tomorrow but I am in Florida. I'm 3.6 163 so I'm hoping for an acceptance.


I'd wager money you're in! Good luck!

User avatar
sstufken
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby sstufken » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:59 pm

In at SC! I received my letter literally 3 days after my file went complete- thanks for the quick decision USC! My first acceptance letter... I also applied to Wake Forest, UGA, GA State, Mercer and Washington & Lee. Is anyone going to the admitted students day?

User avatar
SAOJD10
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby SAOJD10 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Hey congrats to everyone who got in . . . I'm a 1L message me if you guys have any specific questions about the school or anything else

User avatar
Gamecock227
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby Gamecock227 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:55 am

Got that magical miniature white letter today! Just to make sure has anyone seen anything in their letters about scholarships or are they all strictly acceptances thus far?

User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby Bless » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:31 am

Gamecock227 wrote:Got that magical miniature white letter today! Just to make sure has anyone seen anything in their letters about scholarships or are they all strictly acceptances thus far?

I haven't heard anything about scholarships yet. I was accepted just over two weeks ago.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., Baby Gaga, cyclawps, dddddd90, texteach, TudoBem and 8 guests