In at South Carolina 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
americanbreadco

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby americanbreadco » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:20 am

I got into South Carolina a couple weeks ago--in-state tuition and me wanting to practice in South Carolina means I'm probably gonna end up going there unless I get into UVA (I won't, haha). Anybody have any definite plans yet or is everybody still waiting for scholarships?

AfroThunder1212

Postby AfroThunder1212 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:37 am

GentlemanJim wrote:In w/ undefined scholly. Hope it's a good one.

How were you notified of your scholarship? Also, what are your numbers?

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:15 pm

Anyone going to the admitted students day?

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Does scholarship info come out before or after the ASD?

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:28 pm

pokerlaw wrote:Does scholarship info come out before or after the ASD?

My guess is after, which is major suck. I only live two hours away so it's not a huge deal for me, but for the people who have to fly in...again, major suck.

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:32 pm

I'll probably go regardless since it is only an hour for me.

ReneeLaw

Postby ReneeLaw » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:28 am

Since I live in SC the only law school I thought about applying to was USC. I saw where USC was in the top 100, so I thought, great! Go to law school, pass the bar and then let the games begin. I took the LSAT, scored 170. My GPA is 3.8 (I mention this because people on these boards tend to ask). I applied to USC and was given the green light. BTW: During the last month my mailbox has been stuffed with letters and broachers from lots of other schools. . . I figured they just wanted the $75 application fee (surprisingly enough several schools waved their fee).

Earlier today I found this TLS site (which is a bit difficult to navigate, due to the hundreds of acronyms). If I am understanding this right, the big deal is HYS (I figured that one out), Ivies and Tier-14. . . especially Tier-14. What’s the big deal? If I go to a Tier-14 I must be a superstar, but not so much if I go to USC. Am I missing something, or did I forget to drink the Kool-Aid?

Bless

Postby Bless » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 am

ReneeLaw wrote:Since I live in SC the only law school I thought about applying to was USC. I saw where USC was in the top 100, so I thought, great! Go to law school, pass the bar and then let the games begin. I took the LSAT, scored 170. My GPA is 3.8 (I mention this because people on these boards tend to ask). I applied to USC and was given the green light. BTW: During the last month my mailbox has been stuffed with letters and broachers from lots of other schools. . . I figured they just wanted the $75 application fee (surprisingly enough several schools waved their fee).

Earlier today I found this TLS site (which is a bit difficult to navigate, due to the hundreds of acronyms). If I am understanding this right, the big deal is HYS (I figured that one out), Ivies and Tier-14. . . especially Tier-14. What’s the big deal? If I go to a Tier-14 I must be a superstar, but not so much if I go to USC. Am I missing something, or did I forget to drink the Kool-Aid?

Obvious flame. Was it really worth all that time and effort? At least make it humorous. This wasn't even the slightest bit funny. Fail.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:10 am

I checked my status this morning and it says Decision Letter Mailed! So excited! Hoping this is my first acceptance.

Mattfl88

Postby Mattfl88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:19 am

pinkcamellia wrote:I checked my status this morning and it says Decision Letter Mailed! So excited! Hoping this is my first acceptance.

When did you submit and go complete?

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:21 am

I'd be really surprised if these mailings weren't acceptances. I was WL last year with a 154 and reapplied with a 165. Unless they send out mixed batches. Does anyone know how they send out decisions?
Last edited by Moral_Midgetry on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:40 am

Mattfl88 wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:I checked my status this morning and it says Decision Letter Mailed! So excited! Hoping this is my first acceptance.

When did you submit and go complete?

I submitted on the 18th and went complete on the 25th. HTH!

AfroThunder1212

Postby AfroThunder1212 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:09 am

Dean's Scholarship letter came today, full tuition. Just visited Friday and wasn't expecting to hear until at least late February. This definitely makes my decision interesting.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:10 am

AfroThunder1212 wrote:Dean's Scholarship letter came today, full tuition. Just visited Friday and wasn't expecting to hear until at least late February. This definitely makes my decision interesting.

You must have some sick softs with the accepts and scholly offers you have (according to your TLS stats).

AfroThunder1212

Postby AfroThunder1212 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:22 am

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
AfroThunder1212 wrote:Dean's Scholarship letter came today, full tuition. Just visited Friday and wasn't expecting to hear until at least late February. This definitely makes my decision interesting.

You must have some sick softs with the accepts and scholly offers you have (according to your TLS stats).

College: fraternity president, RA, orientation leader, community service
Work experience: 3 years teaching in an underprivileged rural school, sponsor a community service based student group

I'm fairly certain with your numbers you have OOS tuition waived at USC + a nice scholarship and probably at least 60K from Wake.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:40 am

AfroThunder1212 wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:

College: fraternity president, RA, orientation leader, community service
Work experience: 3 years teaching in an underprivileged rural school, sponsor a community service based student group

I'm fairly certain with your numbers you have OOS tuition waived at USC + a nice scholarship and probably at least 60K from Wake.

We have some similar softs. I was also my fraternity's president, RA, and did some good community service. I also have 3 years work experience, but in a legal office. It gave me some great stuff for my PS and other essays, to be honest.

My decision letter is on the way from USC (I went complete, UR, to decision mailed in about three days at USC) and I went UR at Wake today. How long before you heard about schollys from both?

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:02 am

Congrats on your scholarship! I haven't heard a peep from them since I was accepted back in October, and I was under the impression they weren't making scholarship awards until March... do you think this is any indication that others will start hearing soon about merit aid?

AfroThunder1212

Postby AfroThunder1212 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:54 am

lvsmithmarsh wrote:

Congrats on your scholarship! I haven't heard a peep from them since I was accepted back in October, and I was under the impression they weren't making scholarship awards until March... do you think this is any indication that others will start hearing soon about merit aid?

I think my conversation with Dean Hutchinson may have expedited the process. After I dropped in on a class and toured the school I met with him and brought up the possible timeline for scholarships. He responded that it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for them to come out earlier than March for people with competitive numbers. Still, I was very surprised to receive an offer dated the same day as my visit.

j88

Postby j88 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:14 am

Haven't heard anything since my acceptance either. It would be nice to get schools info in the next couple weeks to get an idea of what's going on. Already have offers from
some other schools and would like a little time to figure things out before deposits are due.

legalprincess

Postby legalprincess » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:35 pm

j88 wrote:Haven't heard anything since my acceptance either. It would be nice to get schools info in the next couple weeks to get an idea of what's going on. Already have offers from
some other schools and would like a little time to figure things out before deposits are due.

+1
I swear, it feels like Carolina has completely forgotten that they accepted me back in November!

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:59 pm

legalprincess wrote:
j88 wrote:Haven't heard anything since my acceptance either. It would be nice to get schools info in the next couple weeks to get an idea of what's going on. Already have offers from

+1
I swear, it feels like Carolina has completely forgotten that they accepted me back in November!

+1! Well, +2 I guess... :)

Bless

Postby Bless » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Accepted. Received the letter in the mail today.

Heard some pretty negative things about the school from a friend of mine. I very likely will not be attending, even if I get a good scholly. I'll share if anyone is interested, although I do feel guilty shitting on the school like that. That certainly wouldn't be my intention.

legalprincess

Postby legalprincess » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:01 pm

Bless wrote:Accepted. Received the letter in the mail today.

Heard some pretty negative things about the school from a friend of mine. I very likely will not be attending, even if I get a good scholly. I'll share if anyone is interested, although I do feel guilty shitting on the school like that. That certainly wouldn't be my intention.

Do share, please. A part of me would love to go there, but I admit, the total lack of communication since has been a little been of a turn off:(

Bless

Postby Bless » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:21 pm

This is copy/pasted verbatim from a buddy of mine:

haha do I know anything... I was a USC undergrad, many of my best friends are graduates of USC Law, I lived in Columbia for 15 years, my dad is a professor there, and my mom holds a very high position within the university. Much of what follows is information I've received from her (she would not let me or my brother apply to USC LAW, fyi):

USC's law school is falling apart. The legislature continues to slash higher education funding b/c the recession has left huge holes in the budget, but even before that they were cutting back b/c we're one of the reddest of the red states and we don't believe in subsidies or taxes. The lack of funding has meant that professors and administrative staff are leaving the school for greener pastures, and have been for some time. They've raised tuition substantially (USC Law is far more expensive than, say, UGA Law) to try to cover the shortfall, but all it has succeeded in doing is driving away out of state students who don't want to pay 35k a year. Aside from that fact that the facilities are aging, the performance of the students has declined as well. USC recently fell out of the top 100, and alumni are fucking pissed. They're so pissed at the decade long slide, in fact, that the law school's development office can't get any of them to donate money (many recent graduates are also resentful of what they see as a system that insulates professors from criticism by the students, and as such are distrustful of the bureaucracy and have no compelling reason to give). This sort of cycle perpetuates itself: lack of performance b/c of lack of money, but lack of money b/c of lack of performance. There have been dozens of proposals for partially subsidized construction of a new law school, but the money isn't there, and it won't be for some time, and USC's undergraduate program likely isn't going to pony up for it since so much of their money is being funneled into a research campus much like North Carolina's Research Triangle outside Raleigh. To top things off a second law school (mine) was opened 8 years ago by prominent, frustrated USC Law grads w/ lots of money, and they poached the best professors and staff. A consulting firm was hired late last year to review the law school and make recommendations. The report was bleak: almost every area of the school received the equivalent of a D+ grade. There are ways to turn it around, but that ship won't be righted for a decade at best.

So uh... don't go, lol. Nah but seriously now is not the time to be entering USC Law. They've got a lot of restructuring coming up and its going to be a tumultuous few years to say the least as they adjust to new competition, a restricted budget, and a complete staff overhaul.

judicialdreams

Postby judicialdreams » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Decision letter sent yesterday. Hoping to hear good news by the end of the week.

For those accepted, does your seat deposit requirements show up on your status checker? That section doesn't have anything listed, so I am trying not to take that as a bad sign.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”