In at South Carolina 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSAT Taker

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby LSAT Taker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:43 pm

lilliea wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:
lilliea wrote:Anyone else who had a decision letter mailed on 11/29 not received it yet? It shouldn't take this long for a letter to go from South Carolina to Michigan, should it?

I'd expect it to take 3 or 4 days, not longer than a week.

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to call and annoy them if there were others who hadn't received their letter yet. *sigh* I hate calling admissions offices, I always feel like I'm annoying them.

As a non-caller myself I see what you mean, but you really shouldn't feel bad calling them under the circumstance.

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:21 pm

Congrats to everyone!

Got my letter at the end of October, which definitely helped ease the stress of the rest of this cycle. Wish they would make scholarship decisions sooner, though.

I've lived in Cola for the last three years with lots of contact with the university (my husband was in the IMBA program) and have worked at a downtown law firm, and I can say that if you want to live and practice in South Carolina, you really shouldn't go anywhere else. South Carolina's a proudly insular state, and they like to promote their own ("their own" being folks that went to USC).

That said, we moved to NC back in the summer, and I probably want to practice there, so I'm holding out for Chapel Hill.

Still, if anyone has questions about Cola/places to live/etc., let me know. I've seen both the good and the bad.

lilliea

Postby lilliea » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:47 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:
lilliea wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:
lilliea wrote:Anyone else who had a decision letter mailed on 11/29 not received it yet? It shouldn't take this long for a letter to go from South Carolina to Michigan, should it?

I'd expect it to take 3 or 4 days, not longer than a week.

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to call and annoy them if there were others who hadn't received their letter yet. *sigh* I hate calling admissions offices, I always feel like I'm annoying them.

As a non-caller myself I see what you mean, but you really shouldn't feel bad calling them under the circumstance.

They were really nice when I called, the dean ended up scanning the decision and emailing it to me. Oddly enough, the actual letter, postmarked 11/30, showed up yesterday.

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:31 pm

lvsmithmarsh wrote:Congrats to everyone!

Got my letter at the end of October, which definitely helped ease the stress of the rest of this cycle. Wish they would make scholarship decisions sooner, though.

I've lived in Cola for the last three years with lots of contact with the university (my husband was in the IMBA program) and have worked at a downtown law firm, and I can say that if you want to live and practice in South Carolina, you really shouldn't go anywhere else. South Carolina's a proudly insular state, and they like to promote their own ("their own" being folks that went to USC).

That said, we moved to NC back in the summer, and I probably want to practice there, so I'm holding out for Chapel Hill.

Still, if anyone has questions about Cola/places to live/etc., let me know. I've seen both the good and the bad.

Question! What do you think of the "undergradness" of the campus? Is it all beer pong and FOOOOOOOTBAAAAALL or do the graduate schools manage to get away from all that? That's been the number one concern I have with USC.

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:
lvsmithmarsh wrote:Congrats to everyone!

Question! What do you think of the "undergradness" of the campus? Is it all beer pong and FOOOOOOOTBAAAAALL or do the graduate schools manage to get away from all that? That's been the number one concern I have with USC.

To be honest, I feel like the business school and law school skew a little more toward "undergradness" than perhaps the other graduate programs (I knew some folks in the lit. Ph.D. program, and they seemed more normal). But I get the feeling that law schools/business schools in general skew that way, so I'm not sure if it's just South Carolina or a general trend.

There were a fair number of keg races that I heard of, lots of partying in Five Points (one guy I knew passed out on the railroad tracks more than once), and the tailgating for football games is pretty legend. But I think it's a big enough place that you can pick and choose, and there seem to be enough people in both programs that are older/married that you can find cool, moderate folks.

Was that equivocal enough for you?? :-)

eandy

Postby eandy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:32 pm

lvsmithmarsh wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:

To be honest, I feel like the business school and law school skew a little more toward "undergradness" than perhaps the other graduate programs (I knew some folks in the lit. Ph.D. program, and they seemed more normal). But I get the feeling that law schools/business schools in general skew that way, so I'm not sure if it's just South Carolina or a general trend.

There were a fair number of keg races that I heard of, lots of partying in Five Points (one guy I knew passed out on the railroad tracks more than once), and the tailgating for football games is pretty legend. But I think it's a big enough place that you can pick and choose, and there seem to be enough people in both programs that are older/married that you can find cool, moderate folks.

lol that is law school in general, not just South Carolina. I think though that every school has a younger crowd that does that and an older crowd that sort of keeps to itself.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:57 pm

eandy wrote:
lvsmithmarsh wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:

lol that is law school in general, not just South Carolina. I think though that every school has a younger crowd that does that and an older crowd that sort of keeps to itself.

I doubt that there exists any noteworthy establishment in Five Points that would attract law students, but you never know.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Saloon attracts law students . . . . and Salty Nut is the classic five points law school hang out

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:19 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:Saloon attracts law students . . . . and Salty Nut is the classic five points law school hang out

Seriously? A law school hangout in Five Points? I'm pleasantly surprised if that denotes the amount of time in the hands of law students there. How about 1Ls? Do many of them actually get to check out a bar sometimes? This is a serious question.

140orBust

Postby 140orBust » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:19 pm

Im curious too. Also how do out of staters fair as one 1l's since they arent familiar with the area and bars, do you think the USC law environment is welcoming of out of staters, especially peers from other SEC schools?

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:53 pm

In today via snail mail. I'm definitely interested in South Carolina (despite bleeding orange), but I would have to get the OOS scholarship to seriously consider attending. I've heard that the scholarship is fairly easy to get, but my acceptance letter doesn't mention anything other than need-based scholarships. Should I be concerned about that? Is the OOS scholarship likely with 3.0/160?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:16 pm

EricBerry wrote:In today via snail mail. I'm definitely interested in South Carolina (despite bleeding orange), but I would have to get the OOS scholarship to seriously consider attending. I've heard that the scholarship is fairly easy to get, but my acceptance letter doesn't mention anything other than need-based scholarships. Should I be concerned about that? Is the OOS scholarship likely with 3.0/160?

I think my letter mentioned that scholarship info wouldn't come for a while...February or March? I could be making that up, I tend to confuse letters in my head. The OOS scholarship would be necessary for me, too.

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:19 pm

swilson215 wrote:
EricBerry wrote:In today via snail mail. I'm definitely interested in South Carolina (despite bleeding orange), but I would have to get the OOS scholarship to seriously consider attending. I've heard that the scholarship is fairly easy to get, but my acceptance letter doesn't mention anything other than need-based scholarships. Should I be concerned about that? Is the OOS scholarship likely with 3.0/160?

I think my letter mentioned that scholarship info wouldn't come for a while...February or March? I could be making that up, I tend to confuse letters in my head. The OOS scholarship would be necessary for me, too.

I think I remember seeing March as well. I'm in the same boat (OOS), as I would really like to have a scholarship offer on the table as soon as possible.

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Damn, my acceptance doesn't say a thing about merit scholarships. It mentions need-based scholarships, the ASW, and the date they'll determine tuition rate. Am I already out of the running for the OOS scholarship? In the past few years, people with my numbers usually got the scholly. Maybe they just changed the acceptance letter or something. Can anyone who's been accepted in the past week or so let me know if their letter mentions merit scholarships?

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:51 am

Just applied. Got in last year but decided to take another year off. Hope they won't hold it against me.

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:20 pm

How's everyone doing out there? This board is awfully quiet...

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:30 pm

So does USC not send any sort of recruitment materials or anything other than the acceptance letter? I've literally gotten nothing from them and am debating about whether I should withdraw before even hearing about scholarship info. A lot of schools I've been accepted to have accepted students newsletters, websites, viewbooks, etc. and are constantly sending more info. USC has sent nothing and it's as if they aren't even trying. In either case, I feel like a know very little about the school which doesn't bode to well.

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:19 pm

hurricane10 wrote:So does USC not send any sort of recruitment materials or anything other than the acceptance letter? I've literally gotten nothing from them and am debating about whether I should withdraw before even hearing about scholarship info. A lot of schools I've been accepted to have accepted students newsletters, websites, viewbooks, etc. and are constantly sending more info. USC has sent nothing and it's as if they aren't even trying. In either case, I feel like a know very little about the school which doesn't bode to well.

Yeah, it's a little disconcerting. I did get an email from a faculty member not long after I was accepted, but since then I've received nothing. USC isn't my top choice because I would rather practice in North Carolina, but I have a lot of ties to the university and the legal community in Columbia, so I'd like to see what kind of scholarship money they offer... still, I'm not particularly disposed to wait until March for any communication from them.

I wonder if any admissions folks are lurking out there... hello?

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:01 pm

I haven't received a single thing since my acceptance. But I'm familiar with USC and not surprised.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:22 pm

pokerlaw wrote:I haven't received a single thing since my acceptance. But I'm familiar with USC and not surprised.

When I got accepted last year back in Feb. I didn't receive any other communication with the university till my scholarship letter which came almost in the middle of April . . . and after that nothing till the middle of the summer.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:46 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:I haven't received a single thing since my acceptance. But I'm familiar with USC and not surprised.

When I got accepted last year back in Feb. I didn't receive any other communication with the university till my scholarship letter which came almost in the middle of April . . . and after that nothing till the middle of the summer.

Wait, did you say April? Not in March? If that's the case, I may have to change my game plan. Seriously.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:53 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote:

Wait, did you say April? Not in March? If that's the case, I may have to change my game plan. Seriously.

yeah they kept pushing it further back, at the admitted students day in the middle of march they told us the letters would be sent in the beginning of april, and it came around the second week in april if i can remember, just in time for seat deposits in May.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:01 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote:

yeah they kept pushing it further back, at the admitted students day in the middle of march they told us the letters would be sent in the beginning of april, and it came around the second week in april if i can remember, just in time for seat deposits in May.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am highly disheartened to hear that though. Surely, this is going to discourage many from seriously considering South Carolina unless one is fully committed to SC even at the sticker price. Mid-April is way too late for such a critical notice. :x

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:24 am

Just applied with a 2.9/160 went to USC undergrad but moved to California since which seems foolish since in state is so cheap...Shoulda stayed, but if anyone has any questions I know a bit about Columbia....as For 5 Points law school Hang Outs you have Jakes...by far the biggest crowd of Law students with no fraternity affiliation. Its the most expensive bar and has an extremely nice patio. Salty Nut and Pavlov's share both a parking lot and alot of fraternity types. The Vista tends to tailor more towards the social scene for the professional/graduate crowd. Students will be able to choose 3 more years of Undergrad or 3 years of Graduate intensive studies. The library is also 24 hours on campus which is a huge upside to me, leaves an extremely quiet place to study if you end up living in an apartment without stellar conditions for academics.

Any other questions about Columbia, please let me know.

Does anyone know why South Carolina is not on LawSchoolPredictor.com btw or did I just miss it?

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:29 am

In w/ undefined scholly. Hope it's a good one.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”