In at South Carolina 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
emlawi

New

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Post by emlawi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:21 pm

sstufken wrote:
emlawi wrote:
sstufken wrote:I really want to go, especially since I've never been to Columbia, but I have a prior commitment to another ASW. I think us TLSers who can't attend should make our own ASD and all get together and maybe sit in on a class & check out Columbia another weekend haha

+1!

South Carolina is my #1 right now. Buttt all my friends and family are in Texas and I don't know a soul in SC. Kinda scary to me :/
Yeah all my friends are in Georgia & Virginia so I don't either! South Carolina is in my top 3 for sure, I just need to go check it out. When are you planning to go?

Probably Thursday 4/14 to Saturday 4/16.. I'm looking at flights right now.

jazzmastersc

New

Post by jazzmastersc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:11 pm

emlawi wrote:
sstufken wrote:
emlawi wrote:
sstufken wrote:I really want to go, especially since I've never been to Columbia, but I have a prior commitment to another ASW. I think us TLSers who can't attend should make our own ASD and all get together and maybe sit in on a class & check out Columbia another weekend haha

+1!

South Carolina is my #1 right now. Buttt all my friends and family are in Texas and I don't know a soul in SC. Kinda scary to me :/
Yeah all my friends are in Georgia & Virginia so I don't either! South Carolina is in my top 3 for sure, I just need to go check it out. When are you planning to go?
I also have a commitment but would be up for a DYI ASD! I am a South Carolina alum a few years out of undergrad. I'm weighing my options and would like to see what's new happening on campus. I'd be glad to answer any questions about USC or life in Columbia.

sstufken

New

Post by sstufken » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:26 pm

Okay! I'm absolutely serious about this, I want to visit before I make any kind of commitment. I can't until the weekend of the 15th-17th, which is seems to be when emlawi is planning to go as well. what about you jazzmastersc?

silver7

New

Post by silver7 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:47 am

Got the OOS scholarship today, but my acceptance letter said nothing about consideration for a scholly... hope they got the right person! Happen to anyone else?

Only reason I ask is that I was burned earlier in this cycle by a fake acceptance.

Gamecock227

New

Post by Gamecock227 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:24 am

silver7 wrote:Got the OOS scholarship today, but my acceptance letter said nothing about consideration for a scholly... hope they got the right person! Happen to anyone else?

Only reason I ask is that I was burned earlier in this cycle by a fake acceptance.
This same thing happened to me. Should be the real deal!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gogamecocks

New

Post by gogamecocks » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:30 am

Got a 10k/yr scholarship in the mail yesterday, in-state. USC is keeping it interesting for me.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:05 am

Just withdrew - freed up about 75k. Hope it goes to one of you.

bendtheslurry

New

Post by bendtheslurry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Yay! Equalizer came today so I'll be driving up for ASD.

gogamecocks

New

Post by gogamecocks » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:13 pm

Gamecock227 wrote:So who in this thread is looking forward to working out at the strom? And creeping cardio row? Lol
I took my little brother (a senior in high school at the time) on a tour of the campus during his spring break because he was considering going here. I ended by taking him to the cardio deck and the outdoor pool at the Strom.

Needless to say, he's a freshman at USC this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gamecock227

New

Post by Gamecock227 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:26 pm

gogamecocks wrote:
Gamecock227 wrote:So who in this thread is looking forward to working out at the strom? And creeping cardio row? Lol
I took my little brother (a senior in high school at the time) on a tour of the campus during his spring break because he was considering going here. I ended by taking him to the cardio deck and the outdoor pool at the Strom.

The strom is a beacon of hope in so many ways! Unfortunately Strom Thurmond's daughter is actually responsible for several of the traffic lights in 5 points after she was hit by a drunk driver.

jazzmastersc

New

Post by jazzmastersc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 pm

sstufken wrote:Okay! I'm absolutely serious about this, I want to visit before I make any kind of commitment. I can't until the weekend of the 15th-17th, which is seems to be when emlawi is planning to go as well. what about you jazzmastersc?
Sorry guys, I am out of town that weekend as well. If you are definitely going that weekend, try to visit the National Advocacy Center as well as the law school. It's an impressive facility, and we used it for some mock trial events.

Gamecock227

New

Post by Gamecock227 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:32 pm

If there are any current law students or anyone who can clarify the in state equalizer scholarship. It says if you establish residency you will pay a lower resident fee. Does this mean you will pay the number posted on their website for real residents, approx 1500 less than the equalizer tuition OR do we get that in state tuition minus a prorated scholarship amount? I still have my SC license voter registration and many other necessities yet no South Carolina domicile... Yet.

Mpeterson4

New

Post by Mpeterson4 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Got scholly info today. Instate equalizer (+$2000? The letter was kind of confusing). I will withdraw in hopes that someone gets the money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Aargh, 163/3.6 OOS and still no word on a scholarship...actually, no word on anything since they accepted me! I'm starting to feel like my acceptance letter was an accident:( lol

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:29 pm

legalprincess wrote:Aargh, 163/3.6 OOS and still no word on a scholarship...actually, no word on anything since they accepted me! I'm starting to feel like my acceptance letter was an accident:( lol
I'd think you'll get one. I did with similar numbers.

sstufken

New

Post by sstufken » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:32 pm

legalprincess wrote:Aargh, 163/3.6 OOS and still no word on a scholarship...actually, no word on anything since they accepted me! I'm starting to feel like my acceptance letter was an accident:( lol
we have very similiar numbers & I'm OOS as well and STILL havent gotten any scholarship info either... or heard anything besides an email about ASD since my acceptance letter!

ChiCubs14

Bronze

Post by ChiCubs14 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:37 pm

My numbers are lower than both of yours and I got the scholarship...

It's probably just a timing issue (when you were accepted, etc)...I'd be expecting to get the letter in the mail soon if I were you two...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

silver7

New

Post by silver7 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Gamecock227 wrote:If there are any current law students or anyone who can clarify the in state equalizer scholarship. It says if you establish residency you will pay a lower resident fee. Does this mean you will pay the number posted on their website for real residents, approx 1500 less than the equalizer tuition OR do we get that in state tuition minus a prorated scholarship amount? I still have my SC license voter registration and many other necessities yet no South Carolina domicile... Yet.
I just called to : A.) Verify my OOS scholly; everything checks out.

and

B) Ask about how the scholarship would be effected if I became a resident. The sweet lady on the phone told me that tuition would just become in-state = only around $1500 reduction in cost. So no real rush to become an instate resident.
I got the OOS scholly with the same LSAT and quite a bit lower GPA. I would call and see if you either leverage money, or ask if you are being considered. An LOCI explaining how you really want to attend but can't afford it never hurts. I've had quite a bit of contact with Dean Palmer regarding an error in my application (she's awesome) so a call to her would prob be beneficial.

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Gamecock227 wrote:
gogamecocks wrote:

The strom is a beacon of hope in so many ways! Unfortunately Strom Thurmond's daughter is actually responsible for several of the traffic lights in 5 points after she was hit by a drunk driver.
Thanks for all the info on Strom, which I can hardly wait to check out.

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:06 pm

sstufken wrote:
we have very similiar numbers & I'm OOS as well and STILL havent gotten any scholarship info either... or heard anything besides an email about ASD since my acceptance letter!
UofSC appears to be the polar opposite of URichmond in terms of its communications policy, which presumably is based on the "less is more" doctrine. I have been keeping all the junk from UR (for no clearly explainable reason), and that folder is about to explode.
Last edited by LSAT Taker on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Anyone interested in attending the Law Alumni Reception on 4/7?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:05 pm

I just got the out of state equalizer + 6,000 a year (the letter was kind of confusing but I'm pretty sure that's what they meant). I'm going to be withdrawing though.. I wish they could have gotten back to us sooner about scholarships/been more communicative during the admissions process because I still know little about SC law and the website isn't that helpful either.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Got an in state scholly today, 4K per year and no GPA requirement. I'll take it :). See y'all in Columbia next year!

erw0331

New

Post by erw0331 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:55 pm

I've read my scholly letter over several times, and just out of curiosity I have to ask: Did anyone get any stipulations for their awards?

gogamecocks

New

Post by gogamecocks » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:47 am

LSAT Taker wrote:Anyone interested in attending the Law Alumni Reception on 4/7?
I'll most likely be there

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”