In at South Carolina 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sstufken

New

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Post by sstufken » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:40 am

Finally got my letter yesterday! In-state equalizer + 4k/yr, no stipulations... South Carolina you are back in the running!

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:52 am

sstufken wrote:Finally got my letter yesterday! In-state equalizer + 4k/yr, no stipulations... South Carolina you are back in the running!
I recieved this as well and quite frankly as a USC grad, given my numbers, it was a little insulting. 18k/year for a TTT? I don't think so. Withdrawing. good luck to everyone else.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:16 pm

sstufken wrote:Finally got my letter yesterday! In-state equalizer + 4k/yr, no stipulations... South Carolina you are back in the running!
+1. But I'm thinking I'll withdraw this week. SMU gave me a better offer.

bendtheslurry

New

Post by bendtheslurry » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Anyone else attend asd? I really liked the school and think I may be going here. If anyone has any questions about asd feel free to ask.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:41 pm

I thought a lot of what they were saying about the rankings was total bull, but they are correct that lawyers in SC will draw from USC, sometimes even over higher ranked schools (except for T14s). The law building wasn't as bad as everyone was saying it would be; I didn't see any duct tape anyway. The courtrooms were pretty standard compared to what I've seen at other law schools (from undergraduate mock trial competitions), and the professors seemed pretty cool (though it's hard to make a judgment after 25 minutes). But what really impressed me was just how dang friendly everyone was. There was always someone to talk to and no one tried to make you feel excluded...well, with the exception of during the breakfast:

Me to a few girls sitting at a table with an empty seat: Excuse me, is someone sitting here?
Girls: ........
Me: ............
Girls: *look at each other, then look at me*
Me: ........
Girl on the left: ....yeah I guess you can sit here.

I gotta admit that exchange had me real nervous, but it turns out those bitches were the only unfriendly ones there. Everyone else was really nice and the ones from Columbia had some great advice about apartments and parking. As for the city itself, eh. I'll get used to it. At least it's easier to navigate than Charleston.

Anyone else?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:50 pm

gogamecocks wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:Anyone interested in attending the Law Alumni Reception on 4/7?
I'll most likely be there
Great! Perhaps I'll see you there.

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Anyone spotted gunners at ASD today? There certainly were more than a few.

bendtheslurry

New

Post by bendtheslurry » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Haha there were certainly gunners! Two girls sitting in front of me were almost falling out of their chairs to raise their hands during the mock class. Anyone stick around for the q and a where someones dad asked " well y'all keep saying there is only one test at the end, so can someone explain all this reading and writing you say you do"

Gamecock227

New

Post by Gamecock227 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:12 pm

I was just offered 18K at LSU bringing their tuition to a full ten thousand dollars cheaper than USC as much as I wish I could meet all of you and watch Jadeveon reek havoc, Ill be torn every saturday. Withdrawing monday I hope someone gets this seat!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:28 pm

bendtheslurry wrote:Haha there were certainly gunners! Two girls sitting in front of me were almost falling out of their chairs to raise their hands during the mock class. Anyone stick around for the q and a where someones dad asked " well y'all keep saying there is only one test at the end, so can someone explain all this reading and writing you say you do"
Frankly, I was a little surprised to see those gunners manifest their dedication to their duties so unabashedly at ASD. I'm glad that I am not the only one that recognized that though. Yes, I was there when that question was asked.... :shock: The last session was by far the most informative and exhilarating one, which I should have skipped entirely as many prescient participants chose to do. May I ask where you were sitting? :mrgreen:

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:I thought a lot of what they were saying about the rankings was total bull, but they are correct that lawyers in SC will draw from USC, sometimes even over higher ranked schools (except for T14s). The law building wasn't as bad as everyone was saying it would be; I didn't see any duct tape anyway. The courtrooms were pretty standard compared to what I've seen at other law schools (from undergraduate mock trial competitions), and the professors seemed pretty cool (though it's hard to make a judgment after 25 minutes). But what really impressed me was just how dang friendly everyone was. There was always someone to talk to and no one tried to make you feel excluded...well, with the exception of during the breakfast:

Me to a few girls sitting at a table with an empty seat: Excuse me, is someone sitting here?
Girls: ........
Me: ............
Girls: *look at each other, then look at me*
Me: ........
Girl on the left: ....yeah I guess you can sit here.
I gotta admit that exchange had me real nervous, but it turns out those bitches were the only unfriendly ones there. Everyone else was really nice and the ones from Columbia had some great advice about apartments and parking. As for the city itself, eh. I'll get used to it. At least it's easier to navigate than Charleston.

Anyone else?
That's lamentable. If it makes you feel any better, I was the hapless target of 4 disparate deep tackles that usurped my privilege to get more coffee.

bendtheslurry

New

Post by bendtheslurry » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:22 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:
bendtheslurry wrote:Haha there were certainly gunners! Two girls sitting in front of me were almost falling out of their chairs to raise their hands during the mock class. Anyone stick around for the q and a where someones dad asked " well y'all keep saying there is only one test at the end, so can someone explain all this reading and writing you say you do"
Frankly, I was a little surprised to see those gunners manifest their dedication to their duties so unabashedly at ASD. I'm glad that I am not the only one that recognized that though. Yes, I was there when that question was asked.... :shock: The last session was by far the most informative and exhilarating one, which I should have skipped entirely as many prescient participants chose to do. May I ask where you were sitting? :mrgreen:
I was sitting in the back near the guy who asked what everyones best and worst decisions were. I walked out when the students tried to answer dads reading and writing question

PHC

New

Post by PHC » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Yeah, I was there for that Q&A. I got up and left when that dad asked that question. It was just running way too long and that question just sent it over the top. The mock class was quite hilarious though. I wasn't aware Zach Galifianakis was a prof at USC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:11 pm

so liked professor samuels?

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:13 pm

so liked professor samuels?

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:24 am

Double post. Nice.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am

I stayed for part of the Q@A, but I had to get back to Charleston so I left a little after 2:00. Did they say anything else that was interesting?

Also, was anyone else concerned when that guy asked how hard it is to break into Charleston (during the presentation right before lunch)? Getting back to Charleston eventually is high on my priority list, and though I expected CSL would make things more difficult, I was surprised to hear it's always been fairly hard to get jobs there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:49 am

bendtheslurry wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:
I was sitting in the back near the guy who asked what everyones best and worst decisions were. I walked out when the students tried to answer dads reading and writing question
I was in the back as well, but on the opposite side. I almost never looked at the area where you were seated. Too bad.

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:01 am

Rikkugrrl wrote:I stayed for part of the Q@A, but I had to get back to Charleston so I left a little after 2:00. Did they say anything else that was interesting?

Also, was anyone else concerned when that guy asked how hard it is to break into Charleston (during the presentation right before lunch)? Getting back to Charleston eventually is high on my priority list, and though I expected CSL would make things more difficult, I was surprised to hear it's always been fairly hard to get jobs there.
1. No, and it would hard for any reasonable person to recall anything interesting from that session.

2. As someone said during the job session, "Charleston is Charleston." It's a different world. I wouldn't be particularly concerned about the existence or rise of CLS, but would avoid even attempting to break into that market unless I establish something rock solid in the next couple of years. That is because (1)I was neither born nor raised in Charleston. (2)No one in my family either runs a large firm or is well known otherwise in the legal field there. Hyper-insular is the adjective I keep hearing when the Charleston market is described. I hear that even YHS, let alone t14, would struggle without strong connections.

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Gotta admit that UofSC is a keeper at this point. Will be withdrawing from 5-6 schools tomorrow. Anyone 100% set on SC?

GC_Law

New

Post by GC_Law » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm set on USC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Got my letter Friday: In-state equalizer + 6,000...if only they would have sent out the letter in time for me to go to ASD:(
Looks like USC, LSU, and Ole Miss will all be about the same price. This is going to be a tough decision!
I've got to ask, why does everyone seem to dislike Columbia?

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:23 pm

legalprincess wrote:Got my letter Friday: In-state equalizer + 6,000...if only they would have sent out the letter in time for me to go to ASD:(
Looks like USC, LSU, and Ole Miss will all be about the same price. This is going to be a tough decision!
It certainly seems that Columbia is not the most popular city among TLSers. I can't speak for everyone, but Columbia is rather boring. Dining options are seriously limited, for example, and I can think of only two establishments that resemble a bona fide wine place (with a wine list of 25 or more pages). Other than that, however, positive aspects abound: (1)generally safe (2)COL is quite low (3)only a two-hour drive to either nice beaches or beautiful mountains. IMHO, it's not as bad as Columbia MO.

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:25 am

Thanks! I'm starting to think other people just have higher standards for places than I do--I'm from a town that just recently got an Olive Garden. If it has decent weather, cheap bars, and a Waffle House, I'm good! Throw in a few tennis courts, a Lilly Pulitzer store, and a "gourmet" restaraunt that doesn't serve chicken wings, and you have a far classier town than I have ever lived in!

Gamecock227

New

Post by Gamecock227 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:25 am

LSAT Taker wrote:
legalprincess wrote:Got my letter Friday: In-state equalizer + 6,000...if only they would have sent out the letter in time for me to go to ASD:(
It certainly seems that Columbia is not the most popular city among TLSers. I can't speak for everyone, but Columbia is rather boring. Dining options are seriously limited, for example, and I can think of only two establishments that resemble a bona fide wine place (with a wine list of 25 or more pages). Other than that, however, positive aspects abound: (1)generally safe (2)COL is quite low (3)only a two-hour drive to either nice beaches or beautiful mountains. IMHO, it's not as bad as Columbia MO.

It just depends on where you come from, a wine list of 25 pages is a pretty steep order for any restaurant especially from a city so small. There's garibaldi, blue marlin, Diane's on Divine, Ruths Chris, Ristorante Divino all of which are "nice" restaurants. The nicest mall in Columbia will disappoint also if your looking for boutiques (I.e. Louis V, Burberry, coach, etc). The city is fine it's just small! I lived there through undergrad and if you have realistic expectations of a SMALL city you'll be absolutely happy! Look at granby mills If you want upscale style living, there's tons of brand new apartments otherwise throughout the city. The sports scene gives you alot to do paired with the school offering a few shows a year: Lupe fiasco, gym class heros, Jim gaffigan, and Bob Saget all came while I was there. Headliners, may not still be there, has various smaller bands come as well for live music. And everyone knows about 5 points a pretty good bar scene with low class bars that smell like puke and jakes patio which is where all the law students hung out while I was there, unless they were alums from SC with friends in fraternities then they went to salty nut and pavlovs. I have lived in Pittsburgh and Sacramento and both have a little more to offer than Columbia but they're substantially larger. Neither had the hospitality of Columbia.

Go to Moe's Monday too it's always happenin' lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”