In at South Carolina 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSAT Taker

In at South Carolina 2011

Postby LSAT Taker » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Not sure what to talk about at this point (still so early in the game), but thought it’d be nice to share general thoughts with some other applicants who have also been accepted this season. So anyone?
Last edited by LSAT Taker on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WithoutMe

Re: In at South Carolina (2011)

Postby WithoutMe » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:23 pm

What was your lsat score?

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:29 am

Below the TLS standard, i.e. 170. Hope this helps.

JDLaf

Postby JDLaf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:59 am

I am below the TLS standard as well but quite a few points so no hater here. I applied to USC and am still waiting to hear. when/how did you find out you got in?

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:39 am

10/9 via snail mail. When did you apply?

JDLaf

Postby JDLaf » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:05 am

I applied 9/09 and went complete 9/22...

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:16 am

I think mine went complete a little earlier than yours. So hopefully you will hear from them soon. BTW, I hear that it is SC's policy to announce their decision only via postal mail. Hang in there, my friend.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:30 am

JDLaf,

Just sent you a PM in response to yours. Again, best of luck to you!

j88

Re: In at South Carolina 2011

Postby j88 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Got my letter this week (10/12)..Sent 9/24 Complete 10/1

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:43 pm

Congrats and welcome, j88! Is South Carolina your top choice? Also, any plans to visit the school?

j88

Postby j88 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks and you too!! I don't know that it is my top choice but depending on $$ offers come March I think I will have a better idea. I think I will try and visit at some point because it is a strong possibility for me and living in NC makes it an easy drive to check out the school. I am just glad to have an acceptance in hand it is going to make the rest of the cycle a little less crazy I think. How about you (top choice)?

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:14 pm

j88 wrote: How about you (top choice)?

Not 100% sure yet, but positively considering (also hoping for some $$$). I've already visited the school a couple of times, but haven't done a tour/official office visit yet. Have you contacted them for any reason since you received the letter? I'm a little tempted to sign up for a class visit.

It's so nice to finally have someone on the same boat (accepted, and in the Carolinas) in the thread.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:

Not 100% sure yet, but positively considering (also hoping for some $$$). I've already visited the school a couple of times, but haven't done a tour/official office visit yet. Have you contacted them for any reason since you received the letter? I'm a little tempted to sign up for a class visit.

It's so nice to finally have someone on the same boat (accepted, and in the Carolinas) in the thread.

I've thought about applying and have a fee waiver. I've heard some really bad things about the undergrad... that the area is "nasty" or "trashy" and full of "drunk 18 year olds"... but I've never been. Also, you said you have a 170? I don't know how you wouldn't get a full scholarship...

JDLaf

Postby JDLaf » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 am

j88 nice avatar! Go Sabres! (Bills are a whole other story). Hope to be joining you at USC as the Carolinas are both great palces to live and go to school.

j88

Postby j88 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:59 am

Barbie wrote:I've thought about applying and have a fee waiver.

I was pretty much the same situation and had the same thought. It was def worth the $12. I haven't really heard anything bad about the area but have not visited yet. A friend I work with knows someone that is about to start 2L so I will try and pick his brain and relay any useful info.

j88

Postby j88 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:01 am

JDLaf wrote:j88 nice avatar! Go Sabres! (Bills are a whole other story).

Thanks!! Yeah I'm a huge Sabres fan (Bills not so much). Are you from WNY? Good luck this cycle!

JDLaf

Postby JDLaf » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:30 am

I am from WNY and ended going to undergrad at a SUNY school. Good luck with all your other applications!

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:58 pm

Barbie wrote:I've thought about applying and have a fee waiver. I've heard some really bad things about the undergrad... that the area is "nasty" or "trashy" and full of "drunk 18 year olds"... but I've never been. Also, you said you have a 170? I don't know how you wouldn't get a full scholarship...

I didn't think the area was that bad, but that's only based on my two short visits, so I would be interested in hearing thoughts from 1-3Ls there. That said, I have been to Five Points and Vista (not too close to the campus/Law Center, fortunately), where I'm sure inebriated 18-year-olds are not hard to find. IMO, if the area reputation is the sole reason for not applying, you should probably consider investing $12.

Just to clarify, what I meant by the previous post is that I am sub-170 on LSAT (with a 170 being my perception of the TLS minimum). Sorry I wasn't clear enough. BTW, Barbie, any word from UTK yet? I've been under review since 10/1.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:32 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:
Barbie wrote:I've thought about applying and have a fee waiver. I've heard some really bad things about the undergrad... that the area is "nasty" or "trashy" and full of "drunk 18 year olds"... but I've never been. Also, you said you have a 170? I don't know how you wouldn't get a full scholarship...

I didn't think the area was that bad, but that's only based on my two short visits, so I would be interested in hearing thoughts from 1-3Ls there. That said, I have been to Five Points and Vista (not too close to the campus/Law Center, fortunately), where I'm sure inebriated 18-year-olds are not hard to find. IMO, if the area reputation is the sole reason for not applying, you should probably consider investing $12.

Just to clarify, what I meant by the previous post is that I am sub-170 on LSAT (with a 170 being my perception of the TLS minimum). Sorry I wasn't clear enough. BTW, Barbie, any word from UTK yet? I've been under review since 10/1.

No word at all from FSU or Tennessee!! My heart is breaking.. :( and yea but I will assume most people applying to S.Carolina is sub 170.... and just because everyone SAYS they are above 170 doesn't mean they are ALL telling the truth ;)

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Barbie wrote:No word at all from FSU or Tennessee!! My heart is breaking.. :( and yea but I will assume most people applying to S.Carolina is sub 170.... and just because everyone SAYS they are above 170 doesn't mean they are ALL telling the truth ;)

I'm thinking Billy Joel.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:36 pm

Found out this afternoon. Thrilled. Loved it when I visited, students seemed upbeat about the job market in the state, Columbia wasn't as bad as I expected, there was a decent amount going on, which is to be expected in a state capital with 30k+ students.

Hoping for UTK also, we'll see.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:36 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:Found out this afternoon. Thrilled. Loved it when I visited, students seemed upbeat about the job market in the state, Columbia wasn't as bad as I expected, there was a decent amount going on, which is to be expected in a state capital with 30k+ students.

Hoping for UTK also, we'll see.

Congrats on South Carolina!
Welcome to this thread!
Good luck with UTK (I too am waiting to hear from them.)!
Cheers!

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Barbie wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:

I've thought about applying and have a fee waiver. I've heard some really bad things about the undergrad... that the area is "nasty" or "trashy" and full of "drunk 18 year olds"... but I've never been. Also, you said you have a 170? I don't know how you wouldn't get a full scholarship...

1. I hate, hate Columbia. I don't just say that because I have a pro-Clemson bias. Five points at least is absolutely full of scum. It was nasty, and I did not enjoy it at all. I went with friends who attend the undergrad, and they said that it was typical.
2. USC is very stingy with in-state scholarships, just as an FYI/PSA.
3. While it shouldn't be a huge factor, let's face it: there are TTTs everywhere. Pick one where you at least like the area and would be happy there for an extended period of time.
4. Not to troll, but when I was there for the UGA-USC game, I was hit on by two unemployed USC Law grads in one night. Interpret that however you like. :lol: I think it reflects more on my ability to attract fail than South Carolina's amount of fail, but you never know!

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:47 am

eandy wrote:
Barbie wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:

1. I hate, hate Columbia. I don't just say that because I have a pro-Clemson bias. Five points at least is absolutely full of scum. It was nasty, and I did not enjoy it at all. I went with friends who attend the undergrad, and they said that it was typical.
2. USC is very stingy with in-state scholarships, just as an FYI/PSA.
3. While it shouldn't be a huge factor, let's face it: there are TTTs everywhere. Pick one where you at least like the area and would be happy there for an extended period of time.
4. Not to troll, but when I was there for the UGA-USC game, I was hit on by two unemployed USC Law grads in one night. Interpret that however you like. :lol: I think it reflects more on my ability to attract fail than South Carolina's amount of fail, but you never know!

Any law schools/areas you'd recommend?

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:26 am

Any 1Ls to chime in and share thoughts here?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”