USC 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dreamcast11
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby Dreamcast11 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:34 pm

FlanAl wrote:rejected via snail mail. pretty bummed and confused about this but at least im in at better schools.



were you a reverse splitter?

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby Bumi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:47 pm

Rejected. DF 3/31. Splitter, non-URM.

blc36
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby blc36 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:56 pm

1. Anybody get accepted with a sub 165 LSAT?
2. anybody get in who got df on 3/31 or 4/1?

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:58 pm

blc36 wrote:1. Anybody get accepted with a sub 165 LSAT?
2. anybody get in who got df on 3/31 or 4/1?


1. LSN shows that there have been a couple of 165 admits.
2. Not yet and, reading back through the thread at previous batches of admits, there haven't been this many dings with admits. I think, for at least 3/31, this is looking like dings.

EK14
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby EK14 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:08 pm

DF 3/31 ... dinged via snail mail. Only took them 5 months.

blc36
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby blc36 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:33 pm

snichols16 wrote:
blc36 wrote:1. Anybody get accepted with a sub 165 LSAT?
2. anybody get in who got df on 3/31 or 4/1?


1. LSN shows that there have been a couple of 165 admits.
2. Not yet and, reading back through the thread at previous batches of admits, there haven't been this many dings with admits. I think, for at least 3/31, this is looking like dings.


Yeah I guess the amount of dings depends on how many spots they have left to give, as well as how many acceptances they want to give out before their Law School day in two weeks.

blc36
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby blc36 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Anybody have any idea the effectiveness of rec letters from big school members or trustee members? a couple of my friends applying to law schools have gotten some for other schools and they think it helps when your numbers arent quite up to the medians. sorry this doesnt pertain to USC...just curious

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:37 pm

blc36 wrote:Anybody have any idea the effectiveness of rec letters from big school members or trustee members? a couple of my friends applying to law schools have gotten some for other schools and they think it helps when your numbers arent quite up to the medians. sorry this doesnt pertain to USC...just curious


There was a discussion about this over at the Harvard thread. The admissions person at HLS indicated to an applicant that those kinds of letters don't matter at all. At a school like SC I could see maybe them mattering more, given the strength of the alumni base and the mutual attachement between school and alumni. But at least at HLS -- no.

User avatar
sUkNoIrzTforEall
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby sUkNoIrzTforEall » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:38 pm

blc36 wrote:Anybody have any idea the effectiveness of rec letters from big school members or trustee members? a couple of my friends applying to law schools have gotten some for other schools and they think it helps when your numbers arent quite up to the medians. sorry this doesnt pertain to USC...just curious



All I have heard is that high profile recommendations only help if the recommender knows you well and can write a personalized letter.

Dreamcast11
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby Dreamcast11 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:43 pm

_
Last edited by Dreamcast11 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sUkNoIrzTforEall
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby sUkNoIrzTforEall » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:49 pm

i kindof agree, dreamcast, though i think i personally got dinged.

maybe tomorrow for the emails, who knows...

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:15 pm

Bad sign: I'm watching the Rangers/Mariners game and the announcer just said something about a "decision". I became very anxious for about two seconds and couldn't figure out why.

blc36
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby blc36 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:22 pm

sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:
blc36 wrote:Anybody have any idea the effectiveness of rec letters from big school members or trustee members? a couple of my friends applying to law schools have gotten some for other schools and they think it helps when your numbers arent quite up to the medians. sorry this doesnt pertain to USC...just curious



All I have heard is that high profile recommendations only help if the recommender knows you well and can write a personalized letter.


Yeah that makes sense. Anybody get any for USC and get in?

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:23 am

blc36 wrote:
sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:
blc36 wrote:Anybody have any idea the effectiveness of rec letters from big school members or trustee members? a couple of my friends applying to law schools have gotten some for other schools and they think it helps when your numbers arent quite up to the medians. sorry this doesnt pertain to USC...just curious



All I have heard is that high profile recommendations only help if the recommender knows you well and can write a personalized letter.


Yeah that makes sense. Anybody get any for USC and get in?

Charlie Sheen said I have werewolf fangs, and USC seems to have factored that into their decision.

blc36
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby blc36 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:29 am

flexityflex86 wrote:
blc36 wrote:
sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:
blc36 wrote:Anybody have any idea the effectiveness of rec letters from big school members or trustee members? a couple of my friends applying to law schools have gotten some for other schools and they think it helps when your numbers arent quite up to the medians. sorry this doesnt pertain to USC...just curious



All I have heard is that high profile recommendations only help if the recommender knows you well and can write a personalized letter.


Yeah that makes sense. Anybody get any for USC and get in?

Charlie Sheen said I have werewolf fangs, and USC seems to have factored that into their decision.


Ha Ha nice!!

blc36
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby blc36 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:38 am

Do acceptances in the mail come in a packet or in a letter?

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby dpk711 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:42 am

blc36 wrote:Do acceptances in the mail come in a packet or in a letter?

letter comes first

User avatar
crankyankees
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby crankyankees » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:28 am

how long does the e-mail usually come after DF? 167/3.9 and DF 4/1.

As a former 11/22 it'd really suck to get an outright rejection at this point.

User avatar
sUkNoIrzTforEall
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby sUkNoIrzTforEall » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:35 am

4-5 days for some batches. It varies, from what I gather.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby FlanAl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 am

Dreamcast11 wrote:
FlanAl wrote:rejected via snail mail. pretty bummed and confused about this but at least im in at better schools.



were you a reverse splitter?


nope ~3.6 170 I guess they are GPA heavy but since I don't technically have a gpa (and couldn't bring down their gpa median, foreign ugrad) I'm really not sure why they didn't want my 170

adevotchka
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby adevotchka » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Anyone with low numbers get an IR update to 4/1? Just went IR 2/24 -->4/1. "April Fools, you thought we were actually considering you."

Dreamcast11
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby Dreamcast11 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:31 pm

crankyankees wrote:how long does the e-mail usually come after DF? 167/3.9 and DF 4/1.

As a former 11/22 it'd really suck to get an outright rejection at this point.


Your numbers merit at least $60K in scholly money....don't see how you could get rejected.

At least we know 4/1 is probably a mixed batch, as I shouldn't be outright rejected either.

maglialoro
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby maglialoro » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:47 pm

.
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Bumi wrote:Rejected. DF 3/31. Splitter, non-URM.


Same. Except I am URM.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby snichols16 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:50 pm

maglialoro wrote:
Dreamcast11 wrote:
crankyankees wrote:how long does the e-mail usually come after DF? 167/3.9 and DF 4/1.

As a former 11/22 it'd really suck to get an outright rejection at this point.


Your numbers merit at least $60K in scholly money....don't see how you could get rejected.

At least we know 4/1 is probably a mixed batch, as I shouldn't be outright rejected either.


I dont think that is true anymore. 167 is only the median score. I think with a small school like USC it is a toss up. They have the luxury of being a lot more selective. Im 167/3.7 and i expect to be part of the dings in this pile.


This lack of an email for 4/1s re: admitted student website is rather disconcerting as well.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChodeAnalBead, Christinabruin, JD_Kingfish and 9 guests