USC 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby lawandi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Pricer wrote:Odd. WL with a 3.69/169. That is between median and 75th GPA and 75th LSAT. My cycle has been terrible.


When? Just now?

NotImportant
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:56 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby NotImportant » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. At least you got Texas! That's a HUGE win!

When did USC send you the WL?

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby Pricer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:03 pm

lawandi wrote:
Pricer wrote:Odd. WL with a 3.69/169. That is between median and 75th GPA and 75th LSAT. My cycle has been terrible.


When? Just now?


NotImportant wrote:I'm sorry to hear that. At least you got Texas! That's a HUGE win!

When did USC send you the WL?


Thanks for the UT comment. Looks like I am going there. They gave me a $76.5k scholarship and everyone else gave me the shaft.

It changed sometime today on the status checker. This morning when I got to work it was still In Review, and just now it changed to Waitlisted. I didn't get an email or anything.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby glitter178 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Pricer wrote:Odd. WL with a 3.69/169. That is between median and 75th GPA and 75th LSAT. My cycle has been terrible.

edit: http://usc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
Look at the LSN graph. What the fuck?


there's no doubt that your numbers are competitive for USC. I think applying late hurt you. May have been other factors as well-- something wrong with your PS or a LOR?

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby Pricer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:18 pm

glitter178 wrote:
Pricer wrote:Odd. WL with a 3.69/169. That is between median and 75th GPA and 75th LSAT. My cycle has been terrible.

edit: http://usc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
Look at the LSN graph. What the fuck?


there's no doubt that your numbers are competitive for USC. I think applying late hurt you. May have been other factors as well-- something wrong with your PS or a LOR?


I had two strong LoRs and one mediocre one, but I sent all three. My PS was fine according to Dean Ingram at UT. I know I was initially WLed at UT for the late application and not writing a Why Texas essay. They thought UT was an afterthought to me when it was actually a top choice. I'm sure the late application is what hurt me with USC, but I figured my numbers were still strong enough to warrant an admit. I fully expect a WL at Cornell now, meaning I was only offered admission to one school I applied to during the first round, despite being over 50% on LSP at all of them. LSP actually gave me like 91% at USC.

pimpsdontcry
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby pimpsdontcry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:23 pm

any IR 3/13's in the hizz house?

maglialoro
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby maglialoro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:27 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ew4877a
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby ew4877a » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:29 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:any IR 3/13's in the hizz house?


Almost. IR 3/12.

ku1185
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby ku1185 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Pricer wrote:Odd. WL with a 3.69/169. That is between median and 75th GPA and 75th LSAT. My cycle has been terrible.

edit: http://usc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
Look at the LSN graph. What the fuck?


Sorry to hear that. That is odd indeed. But congrats on UT!

hellohello
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby hellohello » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:45 pm

So does anyone know what the next steps are for waitlisted people...?

simonesa
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby simonesa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:55 pm

Did anyone else who submitted in mid-December jump from 3/25 to 3/28?

yale2011
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:52 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby yale2011 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:21 pm

.
Last edited by yale2011 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ktg808
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby ktg808 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:22 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:any IR 3/13's in the hizz house?



3/16 here

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby lawandi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:26 pm

ew4877a wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:any IR 3/13's in the hizz house?


Almost. IR 3/12.


Me too.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:27 pm

$25k/yr no contingency scholarship. Not enough for me to go, but thought I'd share for those interested.

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby lawandi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:$25k/yr no contingency scholarship. Not enough for me to go, but thought I'd share for those interested.


A lot of movement today and yesterday. I've checked the status checker like 5 times today...

happygolucky
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 11:19 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby happygolucky » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:33 pm

I am a 1L at USC Law, and I was waitlisted for a considerable period of time. Two pieces of advice.

1. Write LOCIs [letters of continued interest] which are specific and 'worth reading' for the AdComms, they really like that and I got feedback after acceptance that it made a considerable difference in my 'priority' on their WL. [I got a copy of the USC Law magazine and wrote specific LOCIs tailored to their new Business-Law program, for example]

2. Visit the school, go on a tour, sit in on a class, talk to an AdComm member. They really want to get to know who you are beyond the paper '411.' I know people who work for the admissions office and they are very friendly and approachable!

**if you have any further questions that I can be of assistance with, please feel free to PM me**

User avatar
planQ
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:00 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby planQ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:39 pm

hellohello wrote:So does anyone know what the next steps are for waitlisted people...?


+1 waitlisted today, last ir 3/16 3.2/174

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby jwmalone87 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:11 pm

happygolucky wrote:1. Write LOCIs [letters of continued interest] which are specific and 'worth reading' for the AdComms, they really like that and I got feedback after acceptance that it made a considerable difference in my 'priority' on their WL. [I got a copy of the USC Law magazine and wrote specific LOCIs tailored to their new Business-Law program, for example]

If you've already addressed specific areas of interest in a "Why USC," what do you recommend writing about in a LOCI?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:13 pm

yale2011 wrote:YP WL via status checker.

I didn't think USC practiced YP...

happygolucky
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 11:19 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby happygolucky » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:24 pm

well, in regards to your question, my "why USC" essay aka "diversity" essay was a very general overview of my "fitness" for the school. When I grabbed a copy of the USC Law magazine, I carefully read articles and addressed them specifically. Naturally, one generally doesn't know for sure what they want to do in practice prior to going into law school, thus you can candidly write on a wide variety of topics without feeling like you're 'stretching the truth.' If you're 'dry' on material, visit the school and sit in on a class and write about it afterwards. I wrote a LOCI the very same day after sitting in on a class and they appreciated the promptness of my feedback.

Example topics of interest: newly revamped entertainment law program, new business & law intersection curriculum, small-business clinic [designed to help start-ups draft contracts], Alumni network, smaller class sizes, class dynamic [if sufficient exposure on visit], Professor Saks' MacArthur Grant for studies on intersection between psychological disorders & the law, how beautiful our building is*

PM me if you need more specific advice! USC Law was my #1 choice and i'm more than willing to help those who feel the same way, or at least seriously want to attend.


*this is a lie.

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby jwmalone87 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks! Not WL'd yet or anything, but I can sense it coming and want to get ready :lol:

Just out of curiousity, did you get any money coming off the waitlist? How common do you think that is?

Del Fin
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby Del Fin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:39 pm

happygolucky wrote:well, in regards to your question, my "why USC" essay aka "diversity" essay was a very general overview of my "fitness" for the school. When I grabbed a copy of the USC Law magazine, I carefully read articles and addressed them specifically. Naturally, one generally doesn't know for sure what they want to do in practice prior to going into law school, thus you can candidly write on a wide variety of topics without feeling like you're 'stretching the truth.' If you're 'dry' on material, visit the school and sit in on a class and write about it afterwards. I wrote a LOCI the very same day after sitting in on a class and they appreciated the promptness of my feedback.

Example topics of interest: newly revamped entertainment law program, new business & law intersection curriculum, small-business clinic [designed to help start-ups draft contracts], Alumni network, smaller class sizes, class dynamic [if sufficient exposure on visit], Professor Saks' MacArthur Grant for studies on intersection between psychological disorders & the law, how beautiful our building is*

PM me if you need more specific advice! USC Law was my #1 choice and i'm more than willing to help those who feel the same way, or at least seriously want to attend.


*this is a lie.


hahaha.. ya, I took a tour a little while back and was severely disappointed at the law building. Regardless, I've always wanted to be a Trojan (went to high school with Mark Sanchez)...

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Waiting on aid too.

I am not going to get my package before I need to make a call on other schools, but I do prefer USC. What have people who have received aid apackages seen in relation to schools such as WUSTL,ND, Emory, etc.? I figure I will guesstimate off what people with similar #'s have, and go from there?

Also, do softs count or is it like WUSTL - all #'s? I know they said financial circumstances matter as well.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby snichols16 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:14 pm

Just went under my 3rd review since Jan 10. Decision seems imminent. Would love SC as an option and don't want to make the drive from Santa Monica to Irvine...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”