USC 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
spacepenguin

Re: USC 2011

Postby spacepenguin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:02 pm

lazyapplicant wrote:Just came on here to offer my own personal story for those of you still waiting and inexorably anxious. I applied in mid-January, went "complete" Jan 19. (On top of that, on March 4 they informed me I neglected to include my resume in my application package via LSAC, so I emailed it to them that morning) Application was lazily put together, didn't put much effort into customizing the essay for USC. I just got in today via snail mail. Letter is dated at the top March 16, 2011, signed by Associate Dean. IT IS A SMALL ENVELOPE, so don't die of a heart attack if you get a small envelope (though it does say a larger package is on the way.) I live about 30 minutes away from campus. So the letter took about 2 days to get here even though I'm really close FWIW. So I hope this gives some of you hope, or at least gives you more information. BTW its nowhere near my top choice. If i get into some other schools, i'm not going here.

So what you're saying is that you're notorious for being on top of things.

lazyapplicant

Postby lazyapplicant » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:05 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
lazyapplicant wrote:Just came on here to offer my own personal story for those of you still waiting and inexorably anxious. I applied in mid-January, went "complete" Jan 19. (On top of that, on March 4 they informed me I neglected to include my resume in my application package via LSAC, so I emailed it to them that morning) Application was lazily put together, didn't put much effort into customizing the essay for USC. I just got in today via snail mail. Letter is dated at the top March 16, 2011, signed by Associate Dean. IT IS A SMALL ENVELOPE, so don't die of a heart attack if you get a small envelope (though it does say a larger package is on the way.) I live about 30 minutes away from campus. So the letter took about 2 days to get here even though I'm really close FWIW. So I hope this gives some of you hope, or at least gives you more information. BTW its nowhere near my top choice. If i get into some other schools, i'm not going here.

You must be a former professor of mine.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:08 pm

lazyapplicant wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:

You must be a former professor of mine.

Where are you headed instead?

lazyapplicant

Postby lazyapplicant » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:12 pm

snichols16 wrote:

Cornell most likely. In the even I get into Columbia or Michigan, then either of those. Too soon to tell.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:14 pm

lazyapplicant wrote:
snichols16 wrote:

Cornell most likely. In the even I get into Columbia or Michigan, then either of those. Too soon to tell.

Cornell over 'SC and you live in LA? Are you looking to come back to SoCal or just open to whatever?

lazyapplicant

Postby lazyapplicant » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:22 pm

snichols16 wrote:
Cornell over 'SC and you live in LA? Are you looking to come back to SoCal or just open to whatever?

I grew up in the Northeast and went to school here at UCLA ug. Definitely would prefer to be back home not only for the sake of being back home but to actually work back home. In high school SoCal was like the coolest thing but today I can say I've gotten it out of my system so to speak.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:27 pm

lazyapplicant wrote:
snichols16 wrote:

I grew up in the Northeast and went to school here at UCLA ug. Definitely would prefer to be back home not only for the sake of being back home but to actually work back home. In high school SoCal was like the coolest thing but today I can say I've gotten it out of my system so to speak.

Cornell it is.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:44 pm

When was your DF date?

Additionally, I have some trouble believing you were "complete" on 1/19, and they told you, you forgot your resume on 3/4. I'm not saying you're a liar, but are you sure it said complete? That just seems like such a huge fail on their part. I know they get 1000s of apps, but how hard is it to check for a resume and PS - just to see if it exists.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:46 pm

snichols16 wrote:
lazyapplicant wrote:
snichols16 wrote:

Cornell it is.

I would have prob take USC > Cornell. Cornell is just so cold, and the decent placement in SoCal is better the Northeastern big law portability of Cornell IMO. I would just be worried the cold weather would influence my ability to perform well in school as I lose my assertiveness in cold weather, but dominate in hot weather so I feel I'd be at a disadvantage at such a frigid school.

lazyapplicant

Postby lazyapplicant » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:50 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:When was your DF date?

Additionally, I have some trouble believing you were "complete" on 1/19, and they told you, you forgot your resume on 3/4. I'm not saying you're a liar, but are you sure it said complete? That just seems like such a huge fail on their part. I know they get 1000s of apps, but how hard is it to check for a resume and PS - just to see if it exists.

Don't worry I don't take offense. I was giving my story to give people waiting here hope. I got the email from USC saying Complete 1/19. I was expecting a decision soon, but then, on March 4, I found out why one hadn't come. I don't want to give out names (I can, in a PM, if you want) but an Admissions Person sent me the following

Dear Mr. (My Name),

Thank you for your application to the University of Southern California Law School. We are unable to continue processing your application due to the following reason(s):

Missing Resume.

We will hold your application until we receive the requested material(s). Should you have any questions, please contact our office at (213) 740-2523. Thank you for your interest in USC Law School.

Sincerely,

(Name)
(Position)
USC Law School
699 Exposition Blvd., Room #
Los Angeles, CA 90089

Nothing until today, the acceptance letter.
Last edited by lazyapplicant on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:52 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
lazyapplicant wrote:
snichols16 wrote:

Cornell it is.

I would have prob take USC > Cornell. Cornell is just so cold, and the decent placement in SoCal is better the Northeastern big law portability of Cornell IMO. I would just be worried the cold weather would influence my ability to perform well in school as I lose my assertiveness in cold weather, but dominate in hot weather so I feel I'd be at a disadvantage at such a frigid school.

It's funny that you say that. While I really, really, really, really, really want the LA weather, I'm afraid that it's going to distract me from studying. I'd be too tempted to go outside and do stuff. It's much easier to be cooped up inside with a hot cup of coffee and study when it's freezing outside.

lazyapplicant

Postby lazyapplicant » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:54 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:I would have prob take USC > Cornell. Cornell is just so cold, and the decent placement in SoCal is better the Northeastern big law portability of Cornell IMO. I would just be worried the cold weather would influence my ability to perform well in school as I lose my assertiveness in cold weather, but dominate in hot weather so I feel I'd be at a disadvantage at such a frigid school.

I can certainly understand that but I think the cold and lack of things to do outside helps my focus. Goodness knows I could have used it the past few years. And you may be right about employment, not sure I'll have to look into that.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Little sister called and checked the mail. In @ SC.

Applied 12/1. IR 1/26 (Infamous URM group). DF 3/16. Letter 3/18.

Good luck to the rest of you guys.

lazyapplicant

Postby lazyapplicant » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:35 pm

RJ127 wrote:Little sister called and checked the mail. In @ SC.

Are you going?

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:38 pm

lazyapplicant wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Little sister called and checked the mail. In @ SC.

Are you going?

Depends on the $$$. I'm from LA originally and all of my family is out here, so it's a very attractive offer.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:27 am

I submitted 11/25, went complete 12/14, and just noticed my application is FINALLY in review 3/18.

njgal

Postby njgal » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:17 am

went DF on 3/15. Got an email at 1 am today with login information for the accepted student portal.

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:21 am

IN! Just got an email invitation to the admitted students website, came in at 1:00am ET...this is my first acceptance of the cycle so I'm pretty stoked!

best of luck to everyone else!

3.4/170 URM

Complete sometime in mid/late Feb
UR 2/26-->3/15
DF 3/15

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:11 am

INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN VIA ADMITTED STUDENT'S WEBSITE.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

this is the first school i've been realllllllllly excited to get into. i can't believe how it feels. when i first applied, usc was a school i hoped i'd wind up in. hopefully i get $...... idk omg so cool!

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:23 am

In via ASW e-mail at around midnight CST. Submitted 10/21, complete 11/1, UR in December and 3/2, DF 3/15. 170/3.6. Congrats to the other new admits!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:28 am

^ these GPAs are making me feel better about my 3.6 and my chances. Congrats guys.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:30 am

my gpa is <3.6.

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:11 am

congrats everyone!

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:43 am

In via email! While not an official acceptance, I think it's pretty legit.

Klogon

Postby Klogon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:34 am

LttleBlakDress wrote:Just went IR 3/18 after sitting at complete 11/22 for months. Bracing myself for the ding.

Just went IR on 3/18 as well. And I'm a splitter like you. Applied Jan 7 and went complete late Jan.

Think 3/18 is the splitter pile?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”