USC 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Madison425
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:54 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby Madison425 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:04 pm

...
Last edited by Madison425 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby glitter178 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:05 pm

Madison425 wrote:
glitter178 wrote:
Madison425 wrote:How many people under review have not gotten a rothman?


I don't think that matters this very second because they only sent them out on Friday. I got mine so fast because I live 20 minutes from the campus.


Very true...but you know TLS is short on patience and high on envy :D


haha very true.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:12 pm

Having read the bios of the previous scholars, I have to say, while I'm sure they have better stats than me, their accomplishments (for the most part) are not all that impressive.

User avatar
obrienfa
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby obrienfa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:16 pm

Knock wrote:
Madison425 wrote:How many people under review have not gotten a rothman?


In review, numbers above both 75th's, submitted in Oct. and no Rothman invite, at least so far.


+1

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby vegenator » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Got my Rothman invite via snail mail. 0 chance of winning, may as well apply.

Should note the second page was printed with the watermark upside down.


Got the rothman invite in mn today! Also LOL, my second of has the upside down water mark as well. PrOof that admissions people are human too! :mrgreen:

Edited to add dates. Submitted 10/5.under review since 10/7 then it updated to ur 11/18. Still ur... But I'm pretty optimistic of an acceptance letter 8)

User avatar
forward
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 12:16 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby forward » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:33 pm

vegenator wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Got my Rothman invite via snail mail. 0 chance of winning, may as well apply.

Should note the second page was printed with the watermark upside down.


Got the rothman invite in mn today! Also LOL, my second of has the upside down water mark as well. PrOof that admissions people are human too! :mrgreen:

Edited to add dates. Submitted 10/5.under review since 10/7 then it updated to ur 11/18. Still ur... But I'm pretty optimistic of an acceptance letter 8)


Where are you located? Also, FYI, they apparently strung along one Rothman invitee last cycle - interviewed, but ultimately wasn't accepted. Rare, it seems, but it can happen. :)

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby vegenator » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:47 pm

forward21 wrote:
vegenator wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Got my Rothman invite via snail mail. 0 chance of winning, may as well apply.

Should note the second page was printed with the watermark upside down.


Got the rothman invite in mn today! Also LOL, my second of has the upside down water mark as well. PrOof that admissions people are human too! :mrgreen:

Edited to add dates. Submitted 10/5.under review since 10/7 then it updated to ur 11/18. Still ur... But I'm pretty optimistic of an acceptance letter 8)


Where are you located? Also, FYI, they apparently strung along one Rothman invitee last cycle - interviewed, but ultimately wasn't accepted. Rare, it seems, but it can happen. :)



Wow. That is really odd that they'd do that. And talk about sucky luck for that applicant. But maybe there's something we don't know. Perhaps they confessed to a murder during the interview?
Pmed my location.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby Deuce » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Are all interviews done over in Cali? Would they pay to fly you out, etc.?

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby glitter178 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:52 pm

Deuce wrote:Are all interviews done over in Cali? Would they pay to fly you out, etc.?


yes and yes.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby Deuce » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:53 pm

glitter178 wrote:
Deuce wrote:Are all interviews done over in Cali? Would they pay to fly you out, etc.?


yes and yes.


Awesome, hope I get an invite but not expecting one... same #s as you

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby vegenator » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:54 pm

Deuce wrote:Are all interviews done over in Cali? Would they pay to fly you out, etc.?


Yeah. Says all airfare and lodging will be paid for finalists to interview at USC. Interviews are held march 28,29 and April 4 & 5

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby glitter178 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Deuce wrote:
glitter178 wrote:
Deuce wrote:Are all interviews done over in Cali? Would they pay to fly you out, etc.?


yes and yes.


Awesome, hope I get an invite but not expecting one... same #s as you


you'll probably get one. where do you live?

User avatar
Kswizzie
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby Kswizzie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:05 pm

I got one but with a 3.7 168 I'm not expecting much

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby RTFM » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:18 pm

Kswizzie wrote:I got one but with a 3.7 168 I'm not expecting much


I'm around the same numbers and I got one today too (Southwest).

Does this bode well for admissions?

User avatar
dj666
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:33 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby dj666 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 pm

Got the Rothman invite in the mail today. It does seem curious that they would send this prior to notification of admission, as admission would seem like a very obvious first filter. My wife saw it and said, "Oh, were you accepted at USC?" Uh, not exactly. It also seems curious that the date on the cover of the brochure says 2009, especially given the quality of their prior communications (the viewbook is top-notch). Still, it's very nice to be invited, and I do plan to submit an essay.

MPeterson
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:52 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby MPeterson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:29 pm

Got a Rothman invite in the mail today, in Southeast. I wonder what they're looking for in this essay... It didn't mention anything specifically about USC, but I feel like I should mention them in it.

pereira6
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby pereira6 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:53 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Having read the bios of the previous scholars, I have to say, while I'm sure they have better stats than me, their accomplishments (for the most part) are not all that impressive.


I agree...I don't have very many striking accomplishments, but I think my numbers + what softs I do have make me competitive enough for an interview.

The apparent lack of over-the-top ridiculous softs--that many folks on TLS seem to have--by the scholarship recipients definitely is a positive sign for anyone looking to try to get this scholarship. I think all you need to do is write an essay that indicates you're a pretty quality all-around individual, which is a slightly different theme than the personal statements.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby Knock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Got my Rothman invite today too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. Love the love from California schools :D.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:59 pm

Knock wrote:Got my Rothman invite today too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. Love the love from California schools :D.


I want one!

Congrats, but you probably won't go even if you get it :wink:

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby shanemahsa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:Got my Rothman invite today too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. Love the love from California schools :D.


I want one!

Congrats, but you probably won't go even if you get it :wink:

Nor will you ;)

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby Knock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:02 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:Got my Rothman invite today too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. Love the love from California schools :D.


I want one!

Congrats, but you probably won't go even if you get it :wink:


Ha, not sure about that. Full ride + stipend + guaranteed summer job to a top firm from a top school in my home region? that'd be very, very, very hard to turn down. Especially if i'm looking at sticker from B. I seriously doubt i'd get the Rothman though, my numbers aren't that good and no WE or significant softs at all.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby shanemahsa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:Got my Rothman invite today too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. Love the love from California schools :D.


I want one!

Congrats, but you probably won't go even if you get it :wink:


Ha, not sure about that. Full ride + stipend + guaranteed summer job to a top firm from a top school in my home region? that'd be very, very, very hard to turn down. Especially if i'm looking at sticker from B. I seriously doubt i'd get the Rothman though, my numbers aren't that good and no WE or significant softs at all.

Yah we'll see when u get that SLS admit

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:03 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:Got my Rothman invite today too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. Love the love from California schools :D.


I want one!

Congrats, but you probably won't go even if you get it :wink:

Nor will you ;)


If my choice comes down to B/P sticker or USC full ride, I will have to do some soul searching and visit the beach a few times to decide, and I can't honestly tell you which way I would choose.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: USC 2011

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:06 pm

Knock wrote:Ha, not sure about that. Full ride + stipend + guaranteed summer job to a top firm from a top school in my home region? that'd be very, very, very hard to turn down. Especially if i'm looking at sticker from B. I seriously doubt i'd get the Rothman though, my numbers aren't that good and no WE or significant softs at all.


That's why I applied to USC, purely for a shot at this. I don't know how impressive the finalist has to be, but if they choose me I can assure they can use me and my story to get every dollar's worth ;)

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: USC 2011

Postby mst » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:Got my Rothman invite today too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. Love the love from California schools :D.


I want one!

Congrats, but you probably won't go even if you get it :wink:

Nor will you ;)


If my choice comes down to B/P sticker or USC full ride, I will have to do some soul searching and visit the beach a few times to decide, and I can't honestly tell you which way I would choose.


For me, it would come down to which city I want to practice/study/live in for the next 10 years:

SF: Boalt
Penn followed by NYC: Penn
Make less money and live in LA: USC.

Very distinct choices. But if I had the choice to be in the bay area, you bet your ass I would be there in a heartbeat. <3 SF.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cephaschen, Google Adsense [Bot], Kungfu Wontons, lawschool2017712, simplypara588, vho1791, wishywashy and 28 guests