USC 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BrightLine

Re: USC 2011

Postby BrightLine » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:42 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:
BrightLine wrote:Are we thinking that "decision finalized" today means good news, bad news, or either?

Last time was a mixed batch, so we really don't know. Although the users posting DF look promising :)

Interesting. Is there any rhyme or reason as to who gets decisions finalized when?

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:43 pm

BrightLine wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:
BrightLine wrote:Are we thinking that "decision finalized" today means good news, bad news, or either?

Last time was a mixed batch, so we really don't know. Although the users posting DF look promising :)

Interesting. Is there any rhyme or reason as to who gets decisions finalized when?

All speculation my friend, best not to get involved with it and become invested in trying to figure out what dates/statuses mean.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:44 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:

I wish there was a box to check on the application that says "I really am very interested in coming to your school, I am sick of living in the cold"

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:
BrightLine wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:

All speculation my friend, best not to get involved with it and become invested in trying to figure out what dates/statuses mean.

Oh I haven't at all, hence my questions. I sent out my applications Mid-January and committed not to come here and look at status pages for a while so I am definitely out of the loop on all of this stuff.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:51 pm

BrightLine wrote:I wish there was a box to check on the application that says "I really am very interested in coming to your school, I am sick of living in the cold"

You and me both, although I visited the school recently and am a little torn between USC and UCI. USC is not the place I want to live in or near (I like the suburbs) and I've heard the employment is iffy (generally top 40-50% securing summer anything). While they do offer a blind OCI, employers still get a hold of the data for the interview so you will still be judged the same. Maybe i'm just trying to make a case for UCI since i've already been admitted haha.....It's good you haven't been addicted to status pages though, I wish I could say the same...

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:52 pm

I can't believe another batch of decisions went out today and I'm still IR 2/7. I submitted in October!

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:52 pm

WarioLaw wrote:DF 02/28 as well. In an interesting turn of events, I received an invite in the mail today from USC to the Alumni and Newly Admitted Students reception in Chicago on March 2. I am going to venture to guess that this means I have been accepted and they wanted to get this invite out on time for me to actually make the event. Unfortunately I can't make it, but hopefully this means the 02/28 batch was a good one!

CONGRATS!

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:54 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:
BrightLine wrote:I wish there was a box to check on the application that says "I really am very interested in coming to your school, I am sick of living in the cold"

You and me both, although I visited the school recently and am a little torn between USC and UCI. USC is not the place I want to live in or near (I like the suburbs) and I've heard the employment is iffy (generally top 40-50% securing summer anything). While they do offer a blind OCI, employers still get a hold of the data for the interview so you will still be judged the same. Maybe i'm just trying to make a case for UCI since i've already been admitted haha.....It's good you haven't been addicted to status pages though, I wish I could say the same...

I say that because, if yield protection does exist I feel like I would be a prime candidate for that (my numbers+location). As far as the status checking, it is good I have kept away but that is over now :(

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:02 am

BrightLine wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:

I say that because, if yield protection does exist I feel like I would be a prime candidate for that (my numbers+location). As far as the status checking, it is good I have kept away but that is over now :(

USC has not tended to employ YP as often as many other schools, so long as you have conveyed your interest in attending I think you will be fine :)

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:04 am

jamiLAW wrote:I can't believe another batch of decisions went out today and I'm still IR 2/7. I submitted in October!

Borderline applicants get late decisions. That's the way it works. You'd be foolish to expect otherwise.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:11 am

Cade McNown wrote:
jamiLAW wrote:I can't believe another batch of decisions went out today and I'm still IR 2/7. I submitted in October!

Borderline applicants get late decisions. That's the way it works. You'd be foolish to expect otherwise.

Please explain your username. Hysterical.

Escuate

Postby Escuate » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:17 am

Another 3 plus weeks of waiting...FML.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:28 am

BrightLine wrote:Please explain your username. Hysterical.

Cade McNown = My desired career path. Be a beast in school (LA preferably), secure a top draft pick (in Chicago preferably), spend ~4 years in the game enjoying my guaranteed cush salary, retire to a lower effort profession (used car salesman??).

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:30 am

Cade McNown wrote:

Do you consider yourself borderline as well?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:34 am

Still IR 12/14.....this is getting annoying.

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:37 am

jamiLAW wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:

Do you consider yourself borderline as well?

I'm IR since 1/3 and 169/3.75. I don't think I'm a borderline applicant, but then again what do I know.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:44 am

Cade McNown wrote:
BrightLine wrote:Please explain your username. Hysterical.

Cade McNown = My desired career path. Be a beast in school (LA preferably), secure a top draft pick (in Chicago preferably), spend ~4 years in the game enjoying my guaranteed cush salary, retire to a lower effort profession (used car salesman??).

Ok, i think you may have created the perfect username.

KirkwoodGAO

Postby KirkwoodGAO » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 am

Last edited by KirkwoodGAO on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:55 am

TheOcho wrote:I'm IR since 1/3 and 169/3.75. I don't think I'm a borderline applicant, but then again what do I know.

jamiLAW wrote:Do you consider yourself borderline as well?

Well, I'm 75th LSAT and median GPA, so I consider myself an admit, but certainly no auto-admit. I also did not say that only borderline applicants wait Ocho, many strong applicants wait well into March too (just check the LSN data from recent cycles).

Full disclosure, this aint my first rodeo with USC law: waited until April 5 to get my waitlist last year. I know it's frustrating but just keep patient and realize that with median numbers a little extra wait time might actually bode well for you.

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:24 am

Cade McNown wrote:
TheOcho wrote:I'm IR since 1/3 and 169/3.75. I don't think I'm a borderline applicant, but then again what do I know.

jamiLAW wrote:Do you consider yourself borderline as well?

Well, I'm 75th LSAT and median GPA, so I consider myself an admit, but certainly no auto-admit. I also did not say that only borderline applicants wait Ocho, many strong applicants wait well into March too (just check the LSN data from recent cycles).

Full disclosure, this aint my first rodeo with USC law: waited until April 5 to get my waitlist last year. I know it's frustrating but just keep patient and realize that with median numbers a little extra wait time might actually bode well for you.

You're right, and I wasn't trying to imply you were saying anything of the sort. Just adding some more information. Any thought on if being accepted this late decreases scholarship opportunities?

mdfreeman

Postby mdfreeman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:11 am

Still haven't heard, submitted at the end of November/Early December. My GPA is above their 75% but my LSAT is around their 25% so who knows?

pixytree

Postby pixytree » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:13 am

mdfreeman wrote:Still haven't heard, submitted at the end of November/Early December. My GPA is above their 75% but my LSAT is around their 25% so who knows?

same here. submitted end of October. Just went to review in January and have been sitting there with no movement for a month. I've already heard from both Berkeley and UCLA. What gives USC?!

mdfreeman

Postby mdfreeman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:25 am

pixytree wrote:
mdfreeman wrote:Still haven't heard, submitted at the end of November/Early December. My GPA is above their 75% but my LSAT is around their 25% so who knows?

same here. submitted end of October. Just went to review in January and have been sitting there with no movement for a month. I've already heard from both Berkeley and UCLA. What gives USC?!

Same haha, I did ED with UCLA so I heard back very early. Berkeley I think auto-rejected me so that was a quick decision too.

I think USC is less "WL-happy" than other schools since it seems like they're working backwards through their apps instead of just WL everyone their iffy about like UCLA seems to be doing. I prefer this since at least I can still believe I have a chance rather than waiting until June/July to find out if I got in to a given school.

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:49 am

this is purely based on speculation but my numbers are similar(ish) to yours. most of the other reverse splitters were rejected already. but i think its a good sign that they are holding onto our applications.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:18 am

swimmergirl1303 wrote:

this is purely based on speculation but my numbers are similar(ish) to yours. most of the other reverse splitters were rejected already. but i think its a good sign that they are holding onto our applications.

Reverse splitter here still waiting on 'SC. By the way, the longer the wait, the more likely it is that you will be WL.

That's how it was for someone I knew last cycle, at least.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”