USC 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jwmalone87

Re: USC 2011

Postby jwmalone87 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Their website says they expect all decisions to be made by May 1, and their first deposit deadline is just a day later...that leaves just 2 months for them to get ALL these apps done. Something tells that ain't happening, especially for all those (like me) still not even IR.

grayfoxx13

Postby grayfoxx13 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:05 pm

I am now in review 2/26. First update since December, so hopefully they will get this done quickly!

Escuate

Postby Escuate » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:34 pm

To be optimistic, maybe they have made a bit more progress and haven't been diligent on updating the online status checkers. If that is the case, I wish they would just get rid of the online checker. I'm so tempted to call them and ask what's going on.

I applied a bit later than a lot of people, (early Jan.) so I can't be too anxious, but a lot of schools that I've applied to seem a bit slower than they were for previous cycles

Perch

Postby Perch » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:37 pm

grayfoxx13 wrote:I am now in review 2/26. First update since December, so hopefully they will get this done quickly!

+1

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Perch wrote:
grayfoxx13 wrote:I am now in review 2/26. First update since December, so hopefully they will get this done quickly!

+1

Jealous, my dates still lingering in early Dec

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:49 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Their website says they expect all decisions to be made by May 1, and their first deposit deadline is just a day later...that leaves just 2 months for them to get ALL these apps done. Something tells that ain't happening, especially for all those (like me) still not even IR.

Meh people have said that the past couple years too. There are always some folks who don't get decisions until absurdly late in the game (as in, past the first seat deposit late). It's the beginning of March now, they've got to be gearing up for a pretty big wave of decisions. But if there are no DFs this week I'll be agreeing with you I guess.

I shouldn't be upset, I've gotten into some Matches. But I won't be able to sleep at night until I hear from my slight reaches and act of god reaches. Damn you slow schools!

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:23 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Perch wrote:

+1

Jealous, my dates still lingering in early Dec

also still December (but late december)

njn3

Postby njn3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:57 pm

If it's any consolation to anyone, I'm still on my first IR date (2/1) as well...given I applied a bit later than many on here...
I guess many of us will be waiting awhile...

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Anyone else still sitting at complete?

1/21 complete here. I am a splitter.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:17 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Their website says they expect all decisions to be made by May 1, and their first deposit deadline is just a day later...that leaves just 2 months for them to get ALL these apps done. Something tells that ain't happening, especially for all those (like me) still not even IR.

I think they'll get them all done. They most likely review people based on index numbers, and once they reach what they consider a satisfactory amount of acceptances, they'll review the rest looking for diamonds in the rough but largely WL/reject people.

Should their yield be less than expected, they'll tap into WL

In TLS opinion, has the USC admission process been the most drawn-out/puzzling? Seems like Cornell is up there, ditto WUSTL and Emory to an extent, but...idk, I think USC might take the cake.

ew4877a

Postby ew4877a » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:26 pm

helloperson wrote:Anyone else still sitting at complete?

I'm sitting at complete as of 1/19. Also a splitter. Argh.

m dot m

Postby m dot m » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:28 pm

ew4877a wrote:

Apparently they hate splitters? Complete 12/2...

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:43 pm

m dot m wrote:
ew4877a wrote:

Apparently they hate splitters? Complete 12/2...

This January complete splitter (175/3.33) from 2 cycles ago didn't hear back until April 26th: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/riordan262/jd

And this November complete splitter (173/3.26) from that cycle didn't hear back until March 19th: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/twinkletoes/jd

Yeah, I think we have a while to go. But things aren't completely bleak.

apple1234

Postby apple1234 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Perch wrote:

+1

Hallelujah, me too!

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:46 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:

I think they'll get them all done. They most likely review people based on index numbers, and once they reach what they consider a satisfactory amount of acceptances, they'll review the rest looking for diamonds in the rough but largely WL/reject people.

In TLS opinion, has the USC admission process been the most drawn-out/puzzling? Seems like Cornell is up there, ditto WUSTL and Emory to an extent, but...idk, I think USC might take the cake.

Longest process, IMHO:
1. Cornell
2. Emory
3. USC

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:48 pm

neonx wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:

Longest process, IMHO:
1. Cornell
2. Emory
3. USC

USC? Got back to me really quick.

Emory? Do you have a 166 or over LSAT? Then you know you got in :D

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:50 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
neonx wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:

Longest process, IMHO:
1. Cornell
2. Emory
3. USC

USC? Got back to me really quick.

Emory? Do you have a 166 or over LSAT? Then you know you got in :D

I think I submitted relatively early.
Emory: Sending EVERY decision out after mid-February is absurd.
USC: didn't get my acceptance until late mid-February.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:51 pm

At least we both agree no one can compare to Cornell. Took over 2 months just for me to go complete.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

FiveSermon wrote:At least we both agree no one can compare to Cornell. Took over 2 months just for me to go complete.

RE: USC: USC is taking forever for high-numbers applicants who applied pre-Thanksgiving. Those who applied around January seem to be receiving decisions quickly. Odd.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:58 pm

neonx wrote:I think I submitted relatively early.
Emory: Sending EVERY decision out after mid-February is absurd.
USC: didn't get my acceptance until late mid-February.

Why? Just because it's abnormal?

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Anyone have an idea how long it takes for USC to send out scholarship information? FWIW, I was accepted on 2/7 and filled out the scholarship application on 2/15.

bobthebuilder

Postby bobthebuilder » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:59 pm

When i visited USC a few weeks ago the admissions officer said that they are working through all the apps and they have sent out a small chunk of acceptances. This year they want to keep acceptances below 1400 and that the admissions committee makes the recommendations, however the DEAN has to go through and make the final decision on EVERY single application which is why it takes so long compared to other schools. She said that she expected for another wave of acceptances to go out in the coming weeks which should be around now or a week or 2.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:00 pm

pereira6 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:At least we both agree no one can compare to Cornell. Took over 2 months just for me to go complete.

RE: USC: USC is taking forever for high-numbers applicants who applied pre-Thanksgiving. Those who applied around January seem to be receiving decisions quickly. Odd.

Those who applied later wouldn't have been eligible for the Rothman. I think it's likely that anyone still under consideration for that has not yet been dealt with (i.e., some were but have since been accepted; I assume they're out of the running, but that could be completely wrong...).

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:02 pm

mr_toad wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Those who applied later wouldn't have been eligible for the Rothman. I think it's likely that anyone still under consideration for that has not yet been dealt with (i.e., some were but have since been accepted; I assume they're out of the running, but that could be completely wrong...).

As an 11/22 UR, I hope you're right! :mrgreen:

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:03 pm

mr_toad wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

I had the same reasoning. Rothman applicants probably are getting a top-to-bottom review, and a decision for them will include a Rothman decision AND the acceptance decision. Therefore, Rothman applicants who were accepted (and, obviously, WL/rejected) without word on the Rothman wouldn't be invited for the Rothman interview (were they perhaps given a scholarship application form for regular dean's schollies?)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”