USC 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: USC 2011

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:44 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Would you say bolded if I was looking at a TTT/TTTT? When does that anecdote stop working?

I don't recall you mentioning you want big $ biglaw ever, so if just on the PI angel - TTT will be harder than T14 but it's not impossible, you just have to work really hard to crack the door, but it isn't impossible, especially if you have no debt and can take lower paying entry level positions. If you can't find a JD required PI job you can always find other PI positions. I believe it's easier to lateral in the PI world, so if you get in the door and show dedication you will be fine. I know quite a few people who have, and are going to Rutgers Camden with intention to return to PI. I know it's not TTT but it isn't top of the food chain in Philly's small market. They will definitely be fine.

The gunner mentality on TLS def. distort the truth a bit, especially when it comes to PI. I have almost a decade of experience in the public sector, I can tell you from experience that prestige is a great tool (a really really great tool) but certain not having it isn't going to stop you short.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:53 am

r6_philly wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Would you say bolded if I was looking at a TTT/TTTT? When does that anecdote stop working?

I don't recall you mentioning you want big $ biglaw ever, so if just on the PI angel - TTT will be harder than T14 but it's not impossible, you just have to work really hard to crack the door, but it isn't impossible, especially if you have no debt and can take lower paying entry level positions. If you can't find a JD required PI job you can always find other PI positions. I believe it's easier to lateral in the PI world, so if you get in the door and show dedication you will be fine. I know quite a few people who have, and are going to Rutgers Camden with intention to return to PI. I know it's not TTT but it isn't top of the food chain in Philly's small market. They will definitely be fine.

The gunner mentality on TLS def. distort the truth a bit, especially when it comes to PI. I have almost a decade of experience in the public sector, I can tell you from experience that prestige is a great tool (a really really great tool) but certain not having it isn't going to stop you short.

Interesting... well, fair enough. I am 100% motivated to do this job by my experiences in the Army and that is not going to change no matter how much $ is thrown at me by firms. That said, I would certainly not like to live a pauper's life, either. I'm sure you can relate to that.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:00 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Interesting... well, fair enough. I am 100% motivated to do this job by my experiences in the Army and that is not going to change no matter how much $ is thrown at me by firms. That said, I would certainly not like to live a pauper's life, either. I'm sure you can relate to that.

Best of luck! I have mad respect for you, and I believe in you.

As for $, I am eyeing some ocean front properties with price tags over 2m, so I will have to sell my soul unfortunately :mrgreen: I just hope to make a lot more than what I need (to buy all the luxuries I want) so I can also give back to the community.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:09 am

r6_philly wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Interesting... well, fair enough. I am 100% motivated to do this job by my experiences in the Army and that is not going to change no matter how much $ is thrown at me by firms. That said, I would certainly not like to live a pauper's life, either. I'm sure you can relate to that.

Best of luck! I have mad respect for you, and I believe in you.

As for $, I am eyeing some ocean front properties with price tags over 2m, so I will have to sell my soul unfortunately :mrgreen: I just hope to make a lot more than what I need (to buy all the luxuries I want) so I can also give back to the community.

Whew, 2mill... you definitely will need all those fancy-pants acceptances. :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:14 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Whew, 2mill... you definitely will need all those fancy-pants acceptances. :D

I need a couple years of decent experience then open up my own firm. Count on it! (fancy-pants acceptances or not, although it's moot since I have a couple already).

lhlee

Postby lhlee » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:18 am

r6_philly wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Whew, 2mill... you definitely will need all those fancy-pants acceptances. :D

I need a couple years of decent experience then open up my own firm. Count on it! (fancy-pants acceptances or not, although it's moot since I have a couple already).

can we join? (:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:21 am

lhlee wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

can we join? (:

I would love to meet some like minded people to start a firm with. I've been involved in a few startups so I am very confident. I will have consulting as a part of the service to support legal services while it grows. It's a solid plan. 8)

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:22 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Yeah DF 1/14... I am pretty sure it's a ding. I was way over-reaching with that due to my LSA (<25th) and no hope that my GPA (>75th) will help.

yepp...

lsat at <25th% with no hope that my gpa at 75th% is going to help me at all.

i am resigned to retaking the wretched lsat or attending hastings (at least i can go to giants games again...) :cry:

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:23 am

r6_philly wrote:
lhlee wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

can we join? (:

I would love to meet some like minded people to start a firm with. I've been involved in a few startups so I am very confident. I will have consulting as a part of the service to support legal services while it grows. It's a solid plan. 8)

<------

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:25 am

Lasers wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Yeah DF 1/14... I am pretty sure it's a ding. I was way over-reaching with that due to my LSA (<25th) and no hope that my GPA (>75th) will help.

yepp...

i am resigned to retaking the wretched lsat or attending hastings (at least i can go to giants games again...) :cry:

We can be classmates in our reverse splittage. :D

Hey, look at it this way... It could be GG U or USF!!! =X

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:38 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Lasers wrote:

yepp...

agreed.

there is a semi-bright side if you look for it. 8)

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:40 am

Lasers wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Lasers wrote:

yepp...

agreed.

there is a semi-bright side if you look for it. 8)

Yep! As long as you want to practice in the bay, you're g2g.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 am

Knock wrote:<------

Dude I am a dog person. :P

You should make sure we are classmates.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am

dpk711 wrote:So I'm 3.52/172 (first try) with interesting softs and a former Trojan (undergrad). I turned in app 11/01, my status checker says "in review" since 12/14 and kinda getting nervous since everyone is hearing back now. Am I worrying too much?

A pretty small # of people who applied in Nov/Dec have heard back yet. No worries. Many of us are UR from Dec/Jan. Others are stuck at complete from Oct/Nov still.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:24 pm

JJDancer wrote:
dpk711 wrote:So I'm 3.52/172 (first try) with interesting softs and a former Trojan (undergrad). I turned in app 11/01, my status checker says "in review" since 12/14 and kinda getting nervous since everyone is hearing back now. Am I worrying too much?

A pretty small # of people who applied in Nov/Dec have heard back yet. No worries. Many of us are UR from Dec/Jan. Others are stuck at complete from Oct/Nov still.

so realistically what do you think my chances are? I hear that USC, UCLA, and other West coast schools like high GPAs...

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:33 pm

dpk711 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

so realistically what do you think my chances are? I hear that USC, UCLA, and other West coast schools like high GPAs...

realistically you have a solid chance (85/90%++) of getting in. Your GPA is solid and LSAT are stellar. Relax. You'll be fine

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:48 pm

dpk711 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

USC good, UCLA is a toss up. I got waitlisted by UCLA with similar numbers, but I am OOS.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:00 pm

bdubs wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

USC good, UCLA is a toss up. I got waitlisted by UCLA with similar numbers, but I am OOS.

I am in-state, but I hear for UCLA it doesn't matter as much compared to like UVA...

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:10 pm

dpk711 wrote:I am in-state, but I hear for UCLA it doesn't matter as much compared to like UVA...

Not as much, but it still matters. Your chances are better than mine were.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:17 pm

dpk711 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

Yeah I think UCLA definitely likes high GPAs and has more of a "floor" for non-URMS even with HIGH LSATs. But I think you have a fabulous (over 75%) shot at USC. Though you might need to wait to hear back a little longer than the 3.8/167 ish people who are at/above both medians. Berkeley is likely out due to the GPA.
UCLA is a toss up depending on the rest of your app - might be a WL.

speedyj88

Postby speedyj88 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:28 pm

dpk711 wrote:I am in-state, but I hear for UCLA it doesn't matter as much compared to like UVA...

I would have to think you'd be good since we have the same GPA, same undergrad, and you have 2 more points on your LSAT. I've been admitted to UCLA and I'm fairly confident for USC (although I hope that doesn't come back to might me in the arse, since I'd really love to do a dual degree program at USC).

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:22 pm

speedyj88 wrote:

I would have to think you'd be good since we have the same GPA, same undergrad, and you have 2 more points on your LSAT. I've been admitted to UCLA and I'm fairly confident for USC (although I hope that doesn't come back to might me in the arse, since I'd really love to do a dual degree program at USC).

fellow Trojans and Kobe lovers?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:59 pm

dpk711 wrote:
speedyj88 wrote:

+ 1,000,000
It pains me to say this, but if I have to choose between UCLA and USC...well I think you know where this is going.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 pm

JenDarby wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
speedyj88 wrote:

+ 1,000,000
It pains me to say this, but if I have to choose between UCLA and USC...well I think you know where this is going.

lol, I think placement for LA is not significantly different between both schools but of course UCLA is easier on the wallet...

speedyj88

Postby speedyj88 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:04 pm

dpk711 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
dpk711 wrote:fellow Trojans and Kobe lovers?

+ 1,000,000

lol, I think placement for LA is not significantly different between both schools but of course UCLA is easier on the wallet...

Fellow trojan (for life) and a huge laker fan (although I could kill them for losing to the clippers).

I don't know about UCLA being "easier on the wallet" though, it's a $5k/year difference, so pretty much the same in the grand scheme of things. Plus, with USC being insulated from the California budget crisis, you have some kind of security with where tuition will fall for 2L and 3L years. With UCLA, not so much.

I've also received interesting and quite varied feedback with respect to choosing between the two schools. A judge, and Yale graduate, I met with said I should choose USC hands down without even thinking twice about it. On the other hand, the Northwestern alum I interviewed with told me they usually didn't like their USC hires and had much better success with UCLA ones.

How do you guys feel about being USC undergrad and USC for law? That's one of the biggest things holding me back from commiting myself to going to Gould. I want some diversity on my resume, but I could just be looking into too much and it's actually not a big deal at all.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”