USC 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
trudat15

Silver

Re: USC 2011

Post by trudat15 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:07 pm

That guaranteed 1L SA at Skadden makes USC well worth passing over other top ranked schools. If you look at bios of previous winners, they all seem to parlay that experience into solid 2L SA's (including a lot doing skadden again or 1/2 summer skadden) and then into good jobs, which is the whole point of LS anyways.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:10 pm

mst wrote:
For me, it would come down to which city I want to practice/study/live in for the next 10 years:

SF: Boalt
Penn followed by NYC: Penn
Make less money and live in LA: USC.

Very distinct choices. But if I had the choice to be in the bay area, you bet your ass I would be there in a heartbeat. <3 SF.
My wife wants nothing to do with NYC, and Berkeley caters more to my background. My wife is going to Penn UG, but wants to live in a warmer climate. I have great reasons to choose all 3 markets, but obviously anything less than a full ride at USC is going to be hard to choose. B vs. P is much tougher for me/us. So I am hoping $$$ will determine it for me. But Berkeley has a matching program, so I don't know...

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:14 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:Got my Rothman invite today too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. Love the love from California schools :D.
I want one!

Congrats, but you probably won't go even if you get it :wink:
Ha, not sure about that. Full ride + stipend + guaranteed summer job to a top firm from a top school in my home region? that'd be very, very, very hard to turn down. Especially if i'm looking at sticker from B. I seriously doubt i'd get the Rothman though, my numbers aren't that good and no WE or significant softs at all.
Yah we'll see when u get that SLS admit
Haha, if I get SLS i'd probably take that over USC full ride I think. I'm just too in love with S :oops:.

Post subject: Re: USC 2011 Reply with quote
shanemahsa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
Got my Rothman invite today too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. Love the love from California schools :D.

I want one!

Nor will you ;)

If my choice comes down to B/P sticker or USC full ride, I will have to do some soul searching and visit the beach a few times to decide, and I can't honestly tell you which way I would choose.
shanemahsa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:Got my Rothman invite today too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. Love the love from California schools :D.
I want one!

Nor will you ;)
r6_philly wrote:If my choice comes down to B/P sticker or USC full ride, I will have to do some soul searching and visit the beach a few times to decide, and I can't honestly tell you which way I would choose.

Same. B sticker vs USC full ride would be a very difficult choice, I can't even imagine.
trudat15 wrote:That guaranteed 1L SA at Skadden makes USC well worth passing over other top ranked schools. If you look at bios of previous winners, they all seem to parlay that experience into solid 2L SA's (including a lot doing skadden again or 1/2 summer skadden) and then into good jobs, which is the whole point of LS anyways.
Exactly. Very well put.
Last edited by Knock on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

culinaryorlawschool

New

Post by culinaryorlawschool » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:17 pm

I got my rothman letter but I didn't understand what it was and what it meant for my chances of admission so I checked TLS and of course the answers are here. Thank you all for being on top of your game so I don't have to!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:19 pm

culinaryorlawschool wrote:I got my rothman letter but I didn't understand what it was and what it meant for my chances of admission so I checked TLS and of course the answers are here. Thank you all for being on top of your game so I don't have to!
I'd love to hear the story behind your username!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:19 pm

culinaryorlawschool wrote:I got my rothman letter but I didn't understand what it was and what it meant for my chances of admission so I checked TLS and of course the answers are here. Thank you all for being on top of your game so I don't have to!
:mrgreen:. Your welcome :D.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:24 pm

At this point, I'd probably only attend USC if I won the Rothman or I got substantial scholly money outside it. But the way I look at it, applying can only help you get other money.

culinaryorlawschool

New

Post by culinaryorlawschool » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Its pretty simple really, I'm just not sure if I want to be a senator or spend my days making croquembouche.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 pm

culinaryorlawschool wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Its pretty simple really, I'm just not sure if I want to be a senator or spend my days making croquembouche.
Both?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:13 am

Rothman invite today. #s at or above both 75s

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:16 am

To the poster that asked about admissions chances when invited for Rothman: I read on the AD Know a Dean series at USC they invite Rothman applicants through a CRS search, so it doesnt seem like it has any bearing to your application (though, their CRS search probably would be parameters that make most invites probably Auto Admits). This explains the one person that got stringed along and ultimately dinged.

calilaw

Bronze

Post by calilaw » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:18 am

forward21 wrote:Rothman invite today. #s at or above both 75s
Same, both numbers above 75's. Although I really have no expectation of getting the scholarship.

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:21 am

Knock wrote:
His welcome? (sorry...I couldn't resist :oops: )

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:24 am

shanemahsa wrote:
Knock wrote:
His welcome? (sorry...I couldn't resist :oops: )
:cry:. You're*

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:40 am

Got the Rothman invite today in Colorado. The quality of USC's booklets continues to impress me. Also, I would probably take a full ride + stipend at USC over sticker at a T10.

sojuteacher

Bronze

Post by sojuteacher » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:05 am

just found out from my parents that I was sent the rothman application -- I'm in Korea but they are in Oregon.

Doubt my stats or softs are enough for it -- but certainly doesnt hurt to apply. Plus, getting flown out from Korea would be sweet in the off chance I get interviewed! (would they actually pay for that expensive of a flight?)

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:31 am

sojuteacher wrote:just found out from my parents that I was sent the rothman application -- I'm in Korea but they are in Oregon.

Doubt my stats or softs are enough for it -- but certainly doesnt hurt to apply. Plus, getting flown out from Korea would be sweet in the off chance I get interviewed! (would they actually pay for that expensive of a flight?)
If you have a legitimate reason to be in Korea (assuming you're not Korean), I think that's a pretty good soft haha.

Imagine their surprise when they are expecting an applicant flying in from Korea...I would be immediately intrigued.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:36 am

trudat15 wrote:To the poster that asked about admissions chances when invited for Rothman: I read on the AD Know a Dean series at USC they invite Rothman applicants through a CRS search, so it doesnt seem like it has any bearing to your application (though, their CRS search probably would be parameters that make most invites probably Auto Admits). This explains the one person that got stringed along and ultimately dinged.
But that person had an interview?? Isn't that pretty far along the process..I mean they flew him/her out. That sucks.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:53 am

JJDancer wrote:
trudat15 wrote:To the poster that asked about admissions chances when invited for Rothman: I read on the AD Know a Dean series at USC they invite Rothman applicants through a CRS search, so it doesnt seem like it has any bearing to your application (though, their CRS search probably would be parameters that make most invites probably Auto Admits). This explains the one person that got stringed along and ultimately dinged.
But that person had an interview?? Isn't that pretty far along the process..I mean they flew him/her out. That sucks.
Free trip to LA is far from "sucks". There is 1 spot per year right? No one should count on it.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:06 pm

i think people are just flattered to be under consideration, and use view it as a sign that usc really likes them.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
Free trip to LA is far from "sucks". There is 1 spot per year right? No one should count on it.
lol true about the free trip to LA. I was referring to the one person who was flown out for an interview for Rothman but wasn't accepted to USC at all..?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 pm

JJDancer wrote: lol true about the free trip to LA. I was referring to the one person who was flown out for an interview for Rothman but wasn't accepted to USC at all..?
Ya I know, but if you get flown out at least you got a free trip out of it. And that person has to have better options anyway?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
JJDancer wrote: lol true about the free trip to LA. I was referring to the one person who was flown out for an interview for Rothman but wasn't accepted to USC at all..?
Ya I know, but if you get flown out at least you got a free trip out of it. And that person has to have better options anyway?
I see your point. :)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:48 pm

JJDancer wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I see your point. :)
So when they take you out to dinner, order lobster.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Still only complete after applying in early October. This is disappointing, as USC is really a top choice of mine. Should I reach out to them?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”