USC 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jamiLAW

Bronze

Re: USC 2011

Post by jamiLAW » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:05 pm

xqhp82 wrote:Hey guys, I submitted my app on 10/14 but my LSAT score is still pending. However I got an email from the admissions office saying that I have my social security number missing (I'm an international applicant, was issued a number by LSAC but didn't want to put that on my app.). I just wonder whether USC is already looking at my application? I thought they won't look at it until the file is complete?
You should probably call them; most law schools are very helpful over the phone.

Plus, you won't be putting your future legal career in the hands of a bunch of people on Top-Law-Schools.com' forums lol

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Just checked status check, in review as of 10/19

SHarry3666

New

Post by SHarry3666 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:34 am

Just received this FB post about an interview with USC's dean of admissions. It provides some insights -- I didn't realize that 35% of their incoming class were USC, UCLA and Berkeley undergrads.

Edit: used correct link

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Just submitted. I liked their viewbook.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:04 pm

I just submitted mine today. USC is definitely a stretch for me (161/3.88) but it is also my dream school (was for undergrad as well) so I had to apply.

UCI graduate. Hoping the fact that I waited a year and good WE will boost me a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:06 pm

r6_philly wrote:Just submitted. I liked their viewbook.
Submitted a while ago, tagging this thread.

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:07 pm

:lol: Last year's was prettier.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:10 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
:lol: Last year's was prettier.
I think I have both. :D One from UCI's Law School Fair last year in November (my senior year) and one from this year's LSAC sponsored forum in Los Angeles.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 pm

I was on the fence about applying until I got the viewbook :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:28 pm

RTFM wrote:
Misleading stats ftw!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:38 pm

The gold on the cover is nice. The letter was hand signed (yes, hand signed, not a printed signature).

Who cares about stats (they are misleading anyway). There was a photo of frolicking at the beach. Many palm trees. Mention of a scholar program and firm fellowships. Ok, maybe it is the Southern California that sold me, but I would not have jumped up and started listening to California Dreaming if not for their viewbook. Nice.

A nice scholly and travel stipend would make it really interesting :mrgreen:

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:29 am

r6_philly wrote:The gold on the cover is nice. The letter was hand signed (yes, hand signed, not a printed signature).

Who cares about stats (they are misleading anyway). There was a photo of frolicking at the beach. Many palm trees. Mention of a scholar program and firm fellowships. Ok, maybe it is the Southern California that sold me, but I would not have jumped up and started listening to California Dreaming if not for their viewbook. Nice.

I live in socal. Pics are totes a misrepresentation of USC. Beach in traffic = 45 mins to 1hr away. It is pretty beautiful tho.

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:30 am

With my new LSAT, I'll be applying next week! Pumped

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:32 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:With my new LSAT, I'll be applying next week! Pumped
Congrats Burg! what'd you get?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:34 am

shanemahsa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:The gold on the cover is nice. The letter was hand signed (yes, hand signed, not a printed signature).

I live in socal. Pics are totes a misrepresentation of USC. Beach in traffic = 45 mins to 1hr away. It is pretty beautiful tho.
Yeah I live in SoCal too. The pics are a bit misleading (I think almost all viewbooks are). UCI's makes it seem so pretty. While it is modern and very clean and nice, I personally think it looks a bit too sterile? Like it lacks depth and charm. I love older looking buildings though so maybe I'm biased. My favorite UC campus is Cal.

But even so USC is USC. Great tradition and you cannot beat the California weather. Though actually I'm looking at more out of state schools. I need a change. But if I get into USC then I think I would definitely stay in Cali

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:44 am

shanemahsa wrote:

It took me 45 minutes to drive to work yesterday, then 45 minutes to drive to Penn for class after work. The distance combined in both trips are 69 city blocks.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:45 am

shanemahsa wrote:
RTFM wrote:
Misleading stats ftw!
That viewbook was ridiculous. It was like 70 pages long. It hurt my hands to turn through all the pages. I mean, does anyone actually read 90% of the stuff in viewbooks?? I look at the pictures and read a few pages that catch my eye.

I actually liked the USC stats, fairly good breakdowns.. they were just a response rate away from greatness and I did notice one place in the viewbook where they used "average" when it clearly shouldve been median. Still, their numbers actually match up fairly well with reality for the most part (80% in private practice with median 160k= at least ~40% biglaw)

P.S. school is ruining my life.. scientific paper on a friday night.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:45 am

BTW I used to be a homeless teen in LA. It's beautiful even when you are dirty poor :D

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:47 am

tkgrrett wrote: That viewbook was ridiculous. It was like 70 pages long. It hurt my hands to turn through all the pages. I mean, does anyone actually read 90% of the stuff in viewbooks?? I look at the pictures and read a few pages that catch my eye.

I actually liked the USC stats, fairly good breakdowns.. they were just a response rate away from greatness and I did notice one place in the viewbook where they used "average" when it clearly shouldve been median. Still, their numbers actually match up fairly well with reality for the most part (80% in private practice with median 160k= at least ~40% biglaw)

Yes I read all the pages. I just happened to take a nonprofit marketing class yesterday dealing with direct mailing materials, USC Viewbook would score very high - I think the highest of all the examples we had yesterday. Great job. I seriously, seriously applied because of the viewbook + letter. They spent $6-10 on me, I returned the favor :lol:

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:49 am

Knockglock wrote:
169. super pumped!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:51 am

r6_philly wrote:
tkgrrett wrote: That viewbook was ridiculous. It was like 70 pages long. It hurt my hands to turn through all the pages. I mean, does anyone actually read 90% of the stuff in viewbooks?? I look at the pictures and read a few pages that catch my eye.

Yes I read all the pages. I just happened to take a nonprofit marketing class yesterday dealing with direct mailing materials, USC Viewbook would score very high - I think the highest of all the examples we had yesterday. Great job. I seriously, seriously applied because of the viewbook + letter. They spent $6-10 on me, I returned the favor :lol:
Seriously?? I never read them. I know from the outset that the anecdotes in them aren't representative, I cant afford any of the overseas programs, and I love pretty pictures. I actually hated the Duke viewbook because it barely had any pictures. And LOL at putting USC law in the category of nonprofit. They didnt spend 6-10 bucks on you. They spent 6-10 bucks on marketing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:57 am

tkgrrett wrote: Seriously?? I never read them. I know from the outset that the anecdotes in them aren't representative, I cant afford any of the overseas programs, and I love pretty pictures. I actually hated the Duke viewbook because it barely had any pictures. And LOL at putting USC law in the category of nonprofit. They didnt spend 6-10 bucks on you. They spent 6-10 bucks on marketing.
How are they going to raise the 6-10 bucks to spend on marketing if they don't spend on marketing??? lol

I do read them, I read everything, I enjoy taking in information, it's an addiction. I would go to wikipedia and read until I go to bed by following random links, so I may just be crazy.

But since I am a leftover from last cycle, this is the best view book. Having worked in publishing, I appreciate the round edge (non-standard die), glossy throughout, weight of paper, the binding, and the embossing on the front.

I still especially like the pen-signed letter. Even I use digital sigs, that is a nice touch.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:08 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
169. super pumped!
That is a great score. Congrats!

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:25 pm

Anyone know anything about the Rothmann scholarship or know anyone who got one?

LawLucy

Bronze

Post by LawLucy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Anyone know anything about the Rothmann scholarship or know anyone who got one?
You are selected by the Admissions commitee at which point you have two weeks to fly to USC (on their dime) and interview as well as writing a really kick ass statement as to why you deserve it over the other 100 people they also selected. Go onto the USC site. there is an entire page dedicated to it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”