Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
123kl
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby 123kl » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:39 pm

Vuvuzela!!! wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Applied 9/7, went under review 10/6, still no JR1. Does this mean I should give up hope or do people get late JR1s?

FYI: LSAT a bit below 25%, GPA above 75%, solid everything else


I'm in a similar situation: LSAT at median, GPA .06 below 25% but with significant cool WE. No JR1 yet.


Same as duckmoney. . . . GPA above 75%, LSAT below 25%. Have some cool work experience, so hoping to get off of a WL someday. . . .

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:44 pm

dulcatis wrote:
oxford_don wrote:This is going to be a fun thread next week.


It's gonna be hilaaaarious :)

Ive already decided that im happy with my options so far and mentally prepared myself for being left out of the JR2 party.

MarcMonday
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby MarcMonday » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:18 pm

can someone please respond to my last post and let me know if all complete emails look the same??

User avatar
slax
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby slax » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:43 pm

duckmoney wrote:Applied 9/7, went under review 10/6, still no JR1. Does this mean I should give up hope or do people get late JR1s?

FYI: LSAT a bit below 25%, GPA above 75%, solid everything else


I've been under review since 10/6 and am at both 75%'s and have WE. I haven't lost hope yet. There is a support group lurking in this thread.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby thecilent » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:46 pm

MarcMonday wrote:can someone please respond to my last post and let me know if all complete emails look the same??

No one answered your question because it is stupid. Why would they send out different complete e-mails? Yes, all complete e-mails look the same.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby WestOfTheRest » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:49 pm

thecilent wrote:
MarcMonday wrote:can someone please respond to my last post and let me know if all complete emails look the same??

No one answered your question because it is stupid. Why would they send out different complete e-mails? Yes, all complete e-mails look the same.


And the dick head strikes again.

Actually, I agree it was retarded question, but you could have just not said anything. Lol

User avatar
mgoblue11
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby mgoblue11 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:49 pm

Any chance we could see the first JR2s tomorrow?

Just hoping to be put out of my misery (one way or the other) a little early...

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:51 pm

mgoblue11 wrote:Any chance we could see the first JR2s tomorrow?

Just hoping to be put out of my misery (one way or the other) a little early...


Historically it doesn't happen, but it's not like anyone ITT has insider info.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby thecilent » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:53 pm

CastleRock wrote:
thecilent wrote:
MarcMonday wrote:can someone please respond to my last post and let me know if all complete emails look the same??

No one answered your question because it is stupid. Why would they send out different complete e-mails? Yes, all complete e-mails look the same.


And the dick head strikes again.

Actually, I agree it was retarded question, but you could have just not said anything. Lol


haha Well, he asked for someone to respond, so I responded.

Edit: And plus, now he has his answer; so he is happy.

dbfriedman
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby dbfriedman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:07 pm

It's actually not a stupid question, given that lots of people on this forum are waiting for phone calls that are supposed to arrive in a couple of days, not emails that are supposed to arrive in a couple of months, as are promised by the "Application Complete" notice, which also claims, "We will not normally provide admission decisions by telephone."

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Confused7 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Congrats to all of you who had your JR1 already!! Hoping to join you all soon even with my sub-par stats...

I didn't get a chance to read through this massive thread, but did anyone just get the "Under Review" status recently? Mine just changed to "UR" this morning. Seems like I'm one of the late applicants in comparison to you guys. :(

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby thecilent » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:31 pm

dbfriedman wrote:It's actually not a stupid question, given that lots of people on this forum are waiting for phone calls that are supposed to arrive in a couple of days, not emails that are supposed to arrive in a couple of months, as are promised by the "Application Complete" notice, which also claims, "We will not normally provide admission decisions by telephone."

I guess you're right.

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby timmna » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:32 pm

Confused7 wrote:Congrats to all of you who had your JR1 already!! Hoping to join you all soon even with my sub-par stats...

I didn't get a chance to read through this massive thread, but did anyone just get the "Under Review" status recently? Mine just changed to "UR" this morning. Seems like I'm one of the late applicants in comparison to you guys. :(


Don't feel bad. I am UR as of two days ago. Applied 11/3.

User avatar
catsparka
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby catsparka » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:38 pm

AHHHH UNDER REVIEW ASFSADFASKD

Okay, sorry about that. I'm just really nervous about this. I submitted on, like, the 12th or something.

I've also been debating whether I should submit a DS. Since I'm already UR, is it too late to submit supplementary materials? (Sorry if the answer is really obvious :( )

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:10 pm

dbfriedman wrote:It's actually not a stupid question, given that lots of people on this forum are waiting for phone calls that are supposed to arrive in a couple of days, not emails that are supposed to arrive in a couple of months, as are promised by the "Application Complete" notice, which also claims, "We will not normally provide admission decisions by telephone."


Was that really the exact wording?

It's not lying---the vast majority of decisions(WL/Reject) are made through e-mail, not telephone.

dbfriedman
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby dbfriedman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:26 pm

That is indeed the exact wording. The email also says, "We will notify you promptly once a decision is made. Those decision notifications will be made via email."

I wasn't really accusing HLS of lying; it's just a somewhat confusing situation.

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby sarahh » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:32 pm

I don't think they are trying to pretend that JR does not call for acceptances. I think they probably don't want people to call and ask what the decision is.

dbfriedman
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby dbfriedman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Yeah, that makes sense.

User avatar
twaswoo
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:16 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby twaswoo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:59 pm

those GPAs on the original post makes me nervous. wasnt the median GPA for harvard mid-high 3.8x?

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby The Stig » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:04 pm

twaswoo wrote:those GPAs on the original post makes me nervous. wasnt the median GPA for harvard mid-high 3.8x?


I would assume that this is because they can make quicker decisions (for JR1s) on those with crazy numbers like that... I'd bet that the numbers will fall as the cycle goes on...

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:11 pm

The Stig wrote:
twaswoo wrote:those GPAs on the original post makes me nervous. wasnt the median GPA for harvard mid-high 3.8x?

I would assume that this is because they can make quicker decisions (for JR1s) on those with crazy numbers like that... I'd bet that the numbers will fall as the cycle goes on...

I think this is what happened in prior years. There is apparently some sorting by GPA/LSAT that happens, and when they start reviewing admissions, they process folks in the top group first, then work their way down through lesser and lesser groups.

I suspect they do the same thing in later batches, but it stands out more in the beginning of the cycle because they haven't called anyone in lower groups at all yet.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:50 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
The Stig wrote:
twaswoo wrote:those GPAs on the original post makes me nervous. wasnt the median GPA for harvard mid-high 3.8x?

I would assume that this is because they can make quicker decisions (for JR1s) on those with crazy numbers like that... I'd bet that the numbers will fall as the cycle goes on...

I think this is what happened in prior years. There is apparently some sorting by GPA/LSAT that happens, and when they start reviewing admissions, they process folks in the top group first, then work their way down through lesser and lesser groups.

I suspect they do the same thing in later batches, but it stands out more in the beginning of the cycle because they haven't called anyone in lower groups at all yet.


You are cruel for keeping our hopes alive!

:)

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby WestOfTheRest » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
The Stig wrote:
twaswoo wrote:those GPAs on the original post makes me nervous. wasnt the median GPA for harvard mid-high 3.8x?

I would assume that this is because they can make quicker decisions (for JR1s) on those with crazy numbers like that... I'd bet that the numbers will fall as the cycle goes on...

I think this is what happened in prior years. There is apparently some sorting by GPA/LSAT that happens, and when they start reviewing admissions, they process folks in the top group first, then work their way down through lesser and lesser groups.

I suspect they do the same thing in later batches, but it stands out more in the beginning of the cycle because they haven't called anyone in lower groups at all yet.

There is also a selection bias. The people with outrageously high numbers are probably more likely to apply in the early stages of the cycle.

123kl
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby 123kl » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:17 am

Any JR1 emails today??

The Real Jack McCoy
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:39 am

123kl wrote:Any JR1 emails today??


Speaking of, have there been any interviews conducted since early in the week (Monday/Tuesday)?

I suspect they are working on finalizing the first batch of acceptances and won't do interviews Thanksgiving week, so I wouldn't worry if there are no JR1s today.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”