Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
catsparka

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby catsparka » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:08 pm

Congrats everyone who received JR1s!!! :)

I submitted a couple of days ago, and just received the status checker. Desperately hoping I go complete soon!

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:09 pm

slax wrote:
sunsnow wrote:congrats to all the new JR1s! did anyone *not* get a JR1 today who submitted before November?

Yes, here I am :(

Gotta love being in this wonderful club :roll:

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Gah, I submitted on 11/04, received status checker / application received e-mail the same day, I guess thats why it seems its been too long before it goes to Under Review stage :P If they waited a few days before sending application received e-mail the wait would be easier :P

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:28 pm

lshamlet wrote:welp, this is the third week since i've gone under review and i didn't get a JR1 today. sigh. i guess i'm heading for denied/held city.

Same :cry:

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:36 pm

slax wrote:
sunsnow wrote:congrats to all the new JR1s! did anyone *not* get a JR1 today who submitted before November?

Yes, here I am :(

Me either. But I was a long shot. I'm feeling a waitlist most likely.

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Thats me

123kl

Postby 123kl » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:46 pm

me too. . . hence the earlier question.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:51 pm

Just checked my app status and I'm UR. Not sure how long its been that way, I applied 11/02 so couldn't have been too long. I'm officially nervous.

slax

Postby slax » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:54 pm

I wouldn't be sad if it weren't for the fact that people with the same or worse numbers have gotten jr1's already. It's making me paranoid trying to figure out what makes my app not quite as good as theirs.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:56 pm

slax wrote:I wouldn't be sad if it weren't for the fact that people with the same or worse numbers have gotten jr1's already. It's making me paranoid trying to figure out what makes my app not quite as good as theirs.

I feel this.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:58 pm

slax wrote:I wouldn't be sad if it weren't for the fact that people with the same or worse numbers have gotten jr1's already. It's making me paranoid trying to figure out what makes my app not quite as good as theirs.

better softs or personal statement?

Wannabelawyer101

Postby Wannabelawyer101 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:33 pm

sarahh wrote:

Agreed. I think work experience may have played a big role.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:34 pm

I miss TS. :cry:

slax

Postby slax » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:35 pm

sarahh wrote:

Yep or lor's or did I have typos or who knows what? I thought my softs (work experience) were slightly impressive but perhaps not. I'm also cursing my school for not giving a+'s. I'd have a much better gpa if only they did

penguin1234

Postby penguin1234 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:35 pm

I hate to be a buzzkill to all you awesome applicants who have superb statistics or to send into a spinning cycle of rage those who have been looking at JR1 data, but since I basically just started reading TLS and I feel like giving myself and others like me hope, I haven't noticed one person who has sub-median GPA or LSAT has admitted to getting a JR1. Let me be the first to admit that (unless someone else already has and I simply haven't seen it).

Here is my Harvard App dates:

Submit: 9/15
Acknowledged: 9/19
Under Review: 10/4
JR1: 10/12
Complete: 10/13

For all of those who have better stats than me (look in my profile) but not above the 75% like some people on here, you have hope. For those who have better stats than me and didn't get a JR1.....you have hope. For those who are sitting there crying, perk up; you have hope.

As for the actual phone interview, it lasted 5 minutes; JR asked me how my job was going, why I wanted to go to law school and why I wanted to go to Harvard (pretty simple answer: Learned Hand went there :wink: just kidding). He then asked if I had any questions, I said no but thank you for the opportunity to speak to you, and he then said we will keep reviewing applications and start sending out decisions by late November.

Anyway, now that my post here is probably going to rattle some people (presumptuous of me, I know, but if you have read some of these posts, you know that adding my stats into the mix will make some people start to spin; these people need to relax and remember you will get in somewhere really good anyway), I will look forward to seeing more sub-median people coming out of the woodwork with JR1s.
Last edited by penguin1234 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CreativityKing

Postby CreativityKing » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:55 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:As someone who had a bad Friday last Friday:

Try to keep in mind that there is an inherent bias in who reports what information--those with JR1s are going to be more likely to report they have them than those who don't get them (it is nice sharing good news--if I flub my interview I'll probably want to talk about it as little as possible). It is a long cycle and Harvard keeps admitting for a long while; not getting an immediate JR1 is not necessarily an indication that you won't get one. And from all accounts, it looks like this cycle will be a touch softer than the last, so we might see more acceptances on the back end.

I'm happy to share stats/UR dates etc via PM.

Good luck all :)

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the bolded?

(I'm hoping you're right!)

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:02 pm

penguin1234 wrote:I hate to be a buzzkill to all you awesome applicants who have superb statistics or to send into a spinning cycle of rage those who have been looking at JR1 data, but since I basically just started reading TLS and I feel like giving myself and others like me hope, I haven't noticed one person who has sub-median GPA or LSAT has admitted to getting a JR1. Let me be the first to admit that (unless someone else already has and I simply haven't seen it).

Yes, a few days ago a splitter mentioned getting a JR1, and I posted about getting a JR1 and have mentioned my GPA before. Let's hope we have success.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:03 pm

sarahh wrote:
penguin1234 wrote:I hate to be a buzzkill to all you awesome applicants who have superb statistics or to send into a spinning cycle of rage those who have been looking at JR1 data, but since I basically just started reading TLS and I feel like giving myself and others like me hope, I haven't noticed one person who has sub-median GPA or LSAT has admitted to getting a JR1. Let me be the first to admit that (unless someone else already has and I simply haven't seen it).

Yes, a few days ago a splitter mentioned getting a JR1, and I posted about getting a JR1 and have mentioned my GPA before. Let's hope we have success.

Not to mention this guy is a urm.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:46 pm

CreativityKing wrote:
The Real Jack McCoy wrote:As someone who had a bad Friday last Friday:

Try to keep in mind that there is an inherent bias in who reports what information--those with JR1s are going to be more likely to report they have them than those who don't get them (it is nice sharing good news--if I flub my interview I'll probably want to talk about it as little as possible). It is a long cycle and Harvard keeps admitting for a long while; not getting an immediate JR1 is not necessarily an indication that you won't get one. And from all accounts, it looks like this cycle will be a touch softer than the last, so we might see more acceptances on the back end.

I'm happy to share stats/UR dates etc via PM.

Good luck all :)

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the bolded?

(I'm hoping you're right!)

A few deans of admission are on record saying that this cycle does not look as bad as last. By the numbers, the most promising sign is that 10% fewer people took this year's October LSAT (as compared to last year)--that is ~ 6,000 fewer potential applicants. As for the last clause, I suspect most admissions committees will be a little cautious given how competitive last year turned out to be. Just educated guesses but there is some evidence.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:33 pm

CastleRock wrote:
sarahh wrote:

yeah...if he's URM, then that is more of a URM+ post/hope giving issue, not one for splitters or low numbers lol.

penguin1234

Postby penguin1234 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:38 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
sarahh wrote:

yeah...if he's URM, then that is more of a URM+ post/hope giving issue, not one for splitters or low numbers lol.

Maybe you aren't implying this, but you make it sounds like all submedian people are URM.

Wannabelawyer101

Postby Wannabelawyer101 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:07 pm

penguin1234 wrote:
Maybe you aren't implying this, but you make it sounds like all submedian people are URM.

No, he's just saying that your post gives more hope to other URM's than it does to non-URM's who are submedian and have not gotten a JR1 yet. A non-URM JR1 splitter post would "give hope" for non-URM splitters since that variable is taken out of the equation.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Wannabelawyer101 wrote:
penguin1234 wrote:

No, he's just saying that your post gives more hope to other URM's than it does to non-URM's who are submedian and have not gotten a JR1 yet. A non-URM JR1 splitter post would "give hope" for non-URM splitters since that variable is taken out of the equation.

I am a non-URM splitter. But there are other things in my background that probably explain why I got a JR1. (You can PM if you want more info - I did not cure cancer or have a relative that donated a building to the school.) If you have a lower GPA or LSAT, you probably do have to bring something extra to the table.

haver1234

Postby haver1234 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:38 pm

sarahh wrote:
Wannabelawyer101 wrote:
penguin1234 wrote:

I am a non-URM splitter. But there are other things in my background that probably explain why I got a JR1. (You can PM if you want more info - I did not cure cancer or have a relative that donated a building to the school.) If you have a lower GPA or LSAT, you probably do have to bring something extra to the table.

I, too, as I've said before, am under the 25th GPA and above the 75th LSAT but also have some background things (PM as well if interested) that may explain the JR1 I received.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:10 am

penguin1234 wrote:As for the actual phone interview, it lasted 5 minutes; JR asked me how my job was going, why I wanted to go to law school and why I wanted to go to Harvard (pretty simple answer: Learned Hand went there :wink: just kidding). He then asked if I had any questions, I said no but thank you for the opportunity to speak to you, and he then said we will keep reviewing applications and start sending out decisions by late November.

Just out of pure curiosity, is there any particular reason why didn't you ask any questions? I don't mean this in a rude way at all, but it seems like there is no better of an opportunity at this point in the cycle to learn about HLS than from the dean of admissions himself...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”