Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:57 pm

sdz wrote:170 is a burden! lol. I actually realized the question I got wrong right as time was called. I was in the first row so there was no way I could sneak a quick erase-and-bubble.

And now I'm stuck in limbo. grrrrrr


lol not to fuel the already rampant paranoia on TLS, i dont know if you should publicize the fact that you wanted to cheat but lacked the opportunity to do so haha [sn changed]

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:57 pm

mydogteddy wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
MM326 wrote:
lshamlet wrote:sigh...Beginning to lose hope. Oh well!


When did you go complete and UR? Someone today got a JR1 after a few weeks! Don't lose hope!


3 weeks for me. So that's a long time in these things.


FWIW, I went UR 10/6 and just got my JR1 email this morning. That's one day less than a month of being under review. You still have a shot- I know it's miserable, but try to hang in there!

Thank you god. That is very encouraging. Thanks for sharing!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:59 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
sdz wrote:170 is a burden! lol. I actually realized the question I got wrong right as time was called. I was in the first row so there was no way I could sneak a quick erase-and-bubble.

And now I'm stuck in limbo. grrrrrr


lol not to fuel the already rampant paranoia on TLS, i dont know if you should publicize the fact that you wanted to cheat but lacked the opportunity to do so haha [sn changed]


Maybe it shows a lot of maturity not to attempt it?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:02 pm

r6_philly wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
sdz wrote:170 is a burden! lol. I actually realized the question I got wrong right as time was called. I was in the first row so there was no way I could sneak a quick erase-and-bubble.

And now I'm stuck in limbo. grrrrrr


lol not to fuel the already rampant paranoia on TLS, i dont know if you should publicize the fact that you wanted to cheat but lacked the opportunity to do so haha [sn changed]


Maybe it shows a lot of maturity not to attempt it?


it shows competence, not maturity -- it'd be like saying it is mature to be able to refrain from stealing because, in that circumstance, you had realized you'd never get away w/ the theft haha

but i dont think there's even a need to put a spin on it.

User avatar
calvmpv
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby calvmpv » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:13 pm

slax wrote:The worst is checking the spam folder in gmail and seeing hooray, no spam here! No gmail. Not hooray. Give me spam from Harvard.


This describes how I have felt every day since sending out my apps.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:14 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
r6_philly wrote:it shows competence, not maturity -- it'd be like saying it is mature to be able to refrain from stealing because, in that circumstance, you had realized you'd never get away w/ the theft haha

but i dont think there's even a need to put a spin on it.


I am just being funny. But you have to realize that we teach kids not to do things because they would get caught, not because they shouldn't do them. I don't agree with that. But with that sort of logic the action at question here is not wrong because an infraction didn't happen.

If we have to punish people for wanting to do wrong but decided not to ... well you can imagine.

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby starrydreamz3 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
r6_philly wrote:it shows competence, not maturity -- it'd be like saying it is mature to be able to refrain from stealing because, in that circumstance, you had realized you'd never get away w/ the theft haha

but i dont think there's even a need to put a spin on it.


I am just being funny. But you have to realize that we teach kids not to do things because they would get caught, not because they shouldn't do them. I don't agree with that. But with that sort of logic the action at question here is not wrong because an infraction didn't happen.

If we have to punish people for wanting to do wrong but decided not to ... well you can imagine.


See I don't fully agree with your first point. I think we do teach kids that there is some intrinsic value in doing the right thing. Fear of consequences isn't the only thing that stops us from doing wrong.

But I do agree that we can't punish people for their thoughts. You have control over your actions, and can be accountable for those only. Because last time I check, there were no thought-police.

PS. Are we all so stressed out over JR1's that we're turing to a philosophic debate? Umm...actually I guess so.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:25 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
r6_philly wrote:it shows competence, not maturity -- it'd be like saying it is mature to be able to refrain from stealing because, in that circumstance, you had realized you'd never get away w/ the theft haha

but i dont think there's even a need to put a spin on it.

e
I am just being funny. But you have to realize that we teach kids not to do things because they would get caught, not because they shouldn't do them. I don't agree with that. But with that sort of logic the action at question here is not wrong because an infraction didn't happen.

If we have to punish people for wanting to do wrong but decided not to ... well you can imagine.


See I don't fully agree with your first point. I think we do teach kids that there is some intrinsic value in doing the right thing. Fear of consequences isn't the only thing that stops us from doing wrong.

But I do agree that we can't punish people for their thoughts. You have control over your actions, and can be accountable for those only. Because last time I check, there were no thought-police.

PS. Are we all so stressed out over JR1's that we're turing to a philosophic debate? Umm...actually I guess so.

Shut up, what does this have to do with harvard? I think we should punish you all for having an off-topic debate in here. BANHAMMER

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:29 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
r6_philly wrote:it shows competence, not maturity -- it'd be like saying it is mature to be able to refrain from stealing because, in that circumstance, you had realized you'd never get away w/ the theft haha

but i dont think there's even a need to put a spin on it.


I am just being funny. But you have to realize that we teach kids not to do things because they would get caught, not because they shouldn't do them. I don't agree with that. But with that sort of logic the action at question here is not wrong because an infraction didn't happen.

If we have to punish people for wanting to do wrong but decided not to ... well you can imagine.


See I don't fully agree with your first point. I think we do teach kids that there is some intrinsic value in doing the right thing. Fear of consequences isn't the only thing that stops us from doing wrong.

But I do agree that we can't punish people for their thoughts. You have control over your actions, and can be accountable for those only. Because last time I check, there were no thought-police.

PS. Are we all so stressed out over JR1's that we're turing to a philosophic debate? Umm...actually I guess so.


lol when did I say anyone should be punished? much less for thoughts or "would-have-beens." All I said was, one should be careful what they say in public forums (online or not) <- imo, this will serve everyone well regardless of what law school they go to

maggie29
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:24 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby maggie29 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:43 am

Hi-

Just for encouragement for those of you with "lower" lsat scores, I got my email about an interview yesterday. 171/3.94
I am completely surprised given that I was under the impression that only super high numbers would get interviews this early... or at all. Good luck to all-- don't lose hope:-)

User avatar
mgoblue11
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby mgoblue11 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:41 am

So for those of you who have already had your JR1, I'm wondering if I could get some general feedback on how you thought it went.

When I got off the phone, I was very happy with the conversation, but I've basically been self-doubting into despair since then. What everybody said about JR held true for me - seems like an incredibly nice guy, but the interview is very fast-paced and kind of abrupt. I was worried that my answers were overly long and meandering. I guess I'm just concerned that I didn't make a strong enough impression for someone with bubble numbers (3.8x, 177).

Anybody feel like they completely hit their JR1 out of the park? Or, alternatively, atom-bombed their chances for a JR2?

philat87
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby philat87 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:48 am

mgoblue11 wrote:So for those of you who have already had your JR1, I'm wondering if I could get some general feedback on how you thought it went.

When I got off the phone, I was very happy with the conversation, but I've basically been self-doubting into despair since then. What everybody said about JR held true for me - seems like an incredibly nice guy, but the interview is very fast-paced and kind of abrupt. I was worried that my answers were overly long and meandering. I guess I'm just concerned that I didn't make a strong enough impression for someone with bubble numbers (3.8x, 177).

Anybody feel like they completely hit their JR1 out of the park? Or, alternatively, atom-bombed their chances for a JR2?


I don't think anybody's really happy with their JR1. :lol: Mine was pretty abrupt too. JR seemed pretty chill but mostly he just asked one line questions, so it wasn't a chatty sort of interview or anything. My answers were probably long and a bit rushed. But whatever, I can't do anything more about it, so I'm trying to forget about it. Although I guess obsessively logging into TLS isn't helping.

Oh, and one thing: the call lasted 5:37. The number is indelibly printed on my brain at this point from staring at my recent call list. *facepalm* I'm not sure how long that is compared to the average JR1.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:47 am

starrydreamz3 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
r6_philly wrote:it shows competence, not maturity -- it'd be like saying it is mature to be able to refrain from stealing because, in that circumstance, you had realized you'd never get away w/ the theft haha

but i dont think there's even a need to put a spin on it.


I am just being funny. But you have to realize that we teach kids not to do things because they would get caught, not because they shouldn't do them. I don't agree with that. But with that sort of logic the action at question here is not wrong because an infraction didn't happen.

If we have to punish people for wanting to do wrong but decided not to ... well you can imagine.


See I don't fully agree with your first point. I think we do teach kids that there is some intrinsic value in doing the right thing. Fear of consequences isn't the only thing that stops us from doing wrong.

But I do agree that we can't punish people for their thoughts. You have control over your actions, and can be accountable for those only. Because last time I check, there were no thought-police.

PS. Are we all so stressed out over JR1's that we're turing to a philosophic debate? Umm...actually I guess so.


We mean our society in general. This is one of my biggest frustration about this country. The norm for this world around me is just to stop kids from doing wrong, it's not quite far enough.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:50 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
lol when did I say anyone should be punished? much less for thoughts or "would-have-beens." All I said was, one should be careful what they say in public forums (online or not) <- imo, this will serve everyone well regardless of what law school they go to


So you advocate people crafting their answers? Wouldn't you rather know people as how they really are and not how they want you to know them? Don't want to hear what the politicians really think rather than the speeches their staffers wrote for that campaign occasion?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:51 am

maggie29 wrote:Hi-

Just for encouragement for those of you with "lower" lsat scores, I got my email about an interview yesterday. 171/3.94
I am completely surprised given that I was under the impression that only super high numbers would get interviews this early... or at all. Good luck to all-- don't lose hope:-)


Thank you! But some of us are even "lower" :cry:

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:27 am

philat87 wrote:
mgoblue11 wrote:So for those of you who have already had your JR1, I'm wondering if I could get some general feedback on how you thought it went.

When I got off the phone, I was very happy with the conversation, but I've basically been self-doubting into despair since then. What everybody said about JR held true for me - seems like an incredibly nice guy, but the interview is very fast-paced and kind of abrupt. I was worried that my answers were overly long and meandering. I guess I'm just concerned that I didn't make a strong enough impression for someone with bubble numbers (3.8x, 177).

Anybody feel like they completely hit their JR1 out of the park? Or, alternatively, atom-bombed their chances for a JR2?


I don't think anybody's really happy with their JR1. :lol: Mine was pretty abrupt too. JR seemed pretty chill but mostly he just asked one line questions, so it wasn't a chatty sort of interview or anything. My answers were probably long and a bit rushed. But whatever, I can't do anything more about it, so I'm trying to forget about it. Although I guess obsessively logging into TLS isn't helping.

Oh, and one thing: the call lasted 5:37. The number is indelibly printed on my brain at this point from staring at my recent call list. *facepalm* I'm not sure how long that is compared to the average JR1.


Mine was about the same length and I had the same feeling. Felt like I didnt effectively get any of my points across and at times it seemed like he was rushing it along. I really felt like it wouldve been bad to pause and think so I just jumped into the questions as they came. I had an outline of answers in front of me but I deviated from the specifics quite a bit. But phone interviews are just more stressful to me in general than face to face interviews.

User avatar
oxford_don
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:06 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby oxford_don » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:40 am

[]
Last edited by oxford_don on Mon May 12, 2014 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dbrddr
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby dbrddr » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:48 am

oxford_don wrote:So I'm going to be doing some prep work this weekend for my interview. Are there any other questions I should be thinking about besides "Why law school?" and "Why Harvard?". Thanks.


Odds are he isn't going to ask the first question in the form of "why do you want to go to law school?". He may ask what your primary academic interests are and why you think law school is the best route for you to develop and pursue those interests. Definitely think about how you'll respond to the questions he's likely to ask, but don't rehearse your answers so much that you'll get thrown off if he phrases a particular question differently than you expected. Good luck!

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
lol when did I say anyone should be punished? much less for thoughts or "would-have-beens." All I said was, one should be careful what they say in public forums (online or not) <- imo, this will serve everyone well regardless of what law school they go to


So you advocate people crafting their answers? Wouldn't you rather know people as how they really are and not how they want you to know them? Don't want to hear what the politicians really think rather than the speeches their staffers wrote for that campaign occasion?


oh of course that'd be better...but we dont live in a fantasy world. when we arrive at a reality where people no longer craft answers to present an image and no longer lie (which, actually in the grand scheme of things may NOT be an 'ideal' world per se...), let me know.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:02 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:oh of course that'd be better...but we dont live in a fantasy world. when we arrive at a reality where people no longer craft answers to present an image and no longer lie (which, actually in the grand scheme of things may NOT be an 'ideal' world per se...), let me know.


lol I try my hardest to say what I mean no matter what the forum is (I hope you have noticed).

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:oh of course that'd be better...but we dont live in a fantasy world. when we arrive at a reality where people no longer craft answers to present an image and no longer lie (which, actually in the grand scheme of things may NOT be an 'ideal' world per se...), let me know.


lol I try my hardest to say what I mean no matter what the forum is (I hope you have noticed).


that's a good motto to live by, for the most part. for example, i personally dont lie. just realize the world is what it is, and context always matters lol.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:44 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:oh of course that'd be better...but we dont live in a fantasy world. when we arrive at a reality where people no longer craft answers to present an image and no longer lie (which, actually in the grand scheme of things may NOT be an 'ideal' world per se...), let me know.


lol I try my hardest to say what I mean no matter what the forum is (I hope you have noticed).


that's a good motto to live by, for the most part. for example, i personally dont lie. just realize the world is what it is, and context always matters lol.


I am coarse and blunt. Serves me well in the sense that I don't have much stress. Context absolutely matters, so I am always learning to not say something at certain times. But I will absolutely not say something I don't mean/won't be willing to back up.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:00 pm

Wow. Just attempted to do a URM search for Harvard on LSN. Ridiculously small sample size. All it did was tell me I should expect to hear something between 11/22 and April lol. Also, I didnt realize this is only JRs second cycle.

User avatar
dbrddr
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby dbrddr » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Can we please stay on topic here? Future applicants are going to come here to learn about applying to Harvard, and they'll have to plod through pages of philosophical musings and irrelevant arguments in order to find what they're looking for. This thread's already 24 pages long.

User avatar
oxford_don
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:06 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby oxford_don » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:22 pm

[]
Last edited by oxford_don on Mon May 12, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Bing [Bot], champagnepapi, hwwong, Rosa Parks, smashbash, sre08 and 20 guests