Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
misterbingley

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby misterbingley » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:56 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:
misterbingley wrote:
chasgoose wrote:
Yeah actually I like Mr. Bingley better because I am too lazy to deal with Mr. Darcy's bullshit, but I was mostly trying to get a good fight going. Apparently I failed...

I appreciate the attempt though. :) It had the makings of another 3 page debate. but i'm satisfied with almost pushing it to 183

ps: it is never stated that he's red-headed in the novel. and i'm team bingley (obvi) because i love his dorkiness

I'm sorry to report though, that he is officially out, so if you're female, all hope is gone.

nope, male. so all is good. :D

i dont agree that darcy is more intelligent than bingley. bingley (foolishly) trusts darcy's (bad) judgment. there are very few places in the novel where we can compare their intelligences that i can recall off the top of my head. i'll concede that darcy is more articulate and verbose, but in such an arrogant manner that it actually decreases his attractiveness by 2 pts.

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm strangely comforted by the P&P talk. But I had to have my gf translate.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:02 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:Well it's about how they both have a flaw, although each of them really projects their own flaw onto the other in the beginning, before realizing they were mistaken, and in so doing, mending their actual character defects.--> thus "Pride and Prejudice."
Yes, the book makes Mr. Darcy's worth much more apparent than the movie.

I don't agree with this totally. Mr. Darcy's flaw is pride and that's the flaw Elizabeth sees in him. Also, I don't think she's prejudiced, because (most of) her conclusions were just at the time they were drawn. Furthermore, he doesn't see her as either being proud or prejudiced, but rather as being below his dignity.

I think a better interpretation is that the book was released following Sense and Sensibility (which was a huge commercial success), and Austen (or, more likely, her publisher) sought to capitalize on that.

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:04 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:Well it's about how they both have a flaw, although each of them really projects their own flaw onto the other in the beginning, before realizing they were mistaken, and in so doing, mending their actual character defects.--> thus "Pride and Prejudice."
Yes, the book makes Mr. Darcy's worth much more apparent than the movie.

I don't agree with this totally. Mr. Darcy's flaw is pride and that's the flaw Elizabeth sees in him. Also, I don't think she's prejudiced, because (most of) her conclusions were just at the time they were drawn. Furthermore, he doesn't see her as either being proud or prejudiced, but rather as being below his dignity.

I think a better interpretation is that the book was released following Sense and Sensibility (which was a huge commercial success), and Austen (or, more likely, her publisher) sought to capitalize on that.

It's true that Pride and Prejudice was not initially entitled as such, but Pride and Prejudice was also written before Sense and Sensibility, I believe (although published after).
Nevertheless, Lizzy is proud and Darcy is prejudiced, but Lizzy thinks Darcy is proud and Darcy, in the book, accuses her of being prejudiced.

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:26 pm

arkansawyer wrote:I'm strangely comforted by the P&P talk. But I had to have my gf translate.

i'm glad we're not annoying all the straight guys out there!

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:52 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:It's true that Pride and Prejudice was not initially entitled as such, but Pride and Prejudice was also written before Sense and Sensibility, I believe (although published after).
Nevertheless, Lizzy is proud and Darcy is prejudiced, but Lizzy thinks Darcy is proud and Darcy, in the book, accuses her of being prejudiced.

I think this is more of an attempt to shoehorn the plot into a pat concept than an accurate reading of the book. TBF, I haven't read it in several years. Be a tragedy if I had to read it again to find out :P

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Guys, WTF is Harvard doing this year?

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:20 pm

CastleRock wrote:Guys, WTF is Harvard doing this year?

I think a lot of people would love to know the answer to that question.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:23 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:I think a lot of people would love to know the answer to that question.

Sooo, set to stalk this thread now?

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:24 pm

looking closely at the graph, there is a huge spike of WLs and dings after the second week of April (WLs on third week/dings on fourth), and assuming we are counting on this being the third week, I'd guess that we will have a wave on decisions (most likely WL) on this Friday, then more next week (most likely dings) ...

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:I think a lot of people would love to know the answer to that question.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:27 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:It's true that Pride and Prejudice was not initially entitled as such, but Pride and Prejudice was also written before Sense and Sensibility, I believe (although published after).

I think this is more of an attempt to shoehorn the plot into a pat concept than an accurate reading of the book. TBF, I haven't read it in several years. Be a tragedy if I had to read it again to find out :P

haha Well, if by 'shoehorn' you mean summarize, then yes, indeed, I am summarizing, because posting a 10 page long paper on this forum would probably, I'm not sure, but probably, be really obnoxious :lol:

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:29 pm

The Stig wrote:

looking closely at the graph, there is a huge spike of WLs and dings after the second week of April (WLs on third week/dings on fourth), and assuming we are counting on this being the third week, I'd guess that we will have a wave on decisions (most likely WL) on this Friday, then more next week (most likely dings) ...

Well I'm going to have to say you're wrong, seeing as this friday is Good Friday. But I expect you are right in saying we can expect it this week (hopefully tommorrow). If not this week, next week for sure.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:34 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I was starting to feel left out since I DLS'd early. (Wait, did I really just imply getting a decision after 6 months is early?)

mmm I guess it is since it's going to be 7 months here soon.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:I was starting to feel left out since I DLS'd early. (Wait, did I really just imply getting a decision after 6 months is early?)

They've had a lot of time to reject you but they HAVEN'T. Why? Because they want you and they can't let go and sooner or later they're going to have to face that.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:40 pm

ebeth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I was starting to feel left out since I DLS'd early. (Wait, did I really just imply getting a decision after 6 months is early?)

They've had a lot of time to reject you but they HAVEN'T. Why? Because they want you and they can't let go and sooner or later they're going to have to face that.

I wish that was true. UR since October 6th and haven't heard anything.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:42 pm

ebeth wrote:

That's what I thought until I got a thin white letter from Stanford. So now all my beliefs are crushed.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:That's what I thought until I got a thin white letter from Stanford. So now all my beliefs are crushed.

Stanford made a foolish choice. I have faith that Harvard will make a better one :)

ETA: And best of luck to you castlerock!

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ebeth wrote:

That's what I thought until I got a thin white letter from Stanford. So now all my beliefs are crushed.

Well we can sulk together r6.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I was starting to feel left out since I DLS'd early. (Wait, did I really just imply getting a decision after 6 months is early?)

The worst part is my wait continues....

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:52 pm

This is the saddest thread. =(

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 pm

neonx wrote:This is the saddest thread. =(

Now that most of the SLS regulars are over here...time to brighten this thread up! :D

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ebeth wrote:

r6... What happened to your self-imposed ban to preserve the '8888'???

cbp3443

Postby cbp3443 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:59 pm

There's a group of us hanging out over in Columbia 2011 that's pretty sad too. :(

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 pm

cbp3443 wrote:

There's a group of us hanging out over in Columbia 2011 that's pretty sad too. :(

TLS in general is pretty sad at the moment.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”