Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
arkansawyer

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby arkansawyer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:35 pm

There was only one piece of pertinent info in today's entire conversation:

Slax is not going to Harvard, there's another open spot.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:41 pm

arkansawyer wrote:There was only one piece of pertinent info in today's entire conversation:

+1.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:07 pm

arkansawyer wrote:There was only one piece of pertinent info in today's entire conversation:

Yeah, but since we don't know if we have been waitlisted or rejected yet, this is still only semi-useful information

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:22 pm

I would like to make a request to the crowd at large, both posters and lurkers:

How many of you have above median scores and are still held?

If you don't feel comfortable posting, please PM me.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:27 pm

arkansawyer wrote:I would like to make a request to the crowd at large, both posters and lurkers:

Splitter here... Above 75% LSAT median, way lower than 25% GPA median. Hoping H accepted too many "lower" LSAT scores.

Weirdlog

Postby Weirdlog » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:29 pm

arkansawyer wrote:I would like to make a request to the crowd at large, both posters and lurkers:

I think I'm basically exactly at the medians, maybe slightly above.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Above LSAT median and basically at GPA median.

PMed my #s (in a dissertation) to you arkansawer.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Weirdlog wrote:

I think I'm basically exactly at the medians, maybe slightly above.

Roughly median GPA, 25% LSAT

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:05 pm

LSAT slightly above; GPA below. URM.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:41 pm

slax wrote:I think everyone is missing the point. The question is does Harvard make a difference once you are hired? The answer is no, and if anything it is a negative ONCE YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN HIRED.

This is not about students being nice and getting along. It is not about where Harvard grads can get hired. It is not about the unique opportunities Harvard provides.

The point is that being a Harvard grad does not help you be a better lawyer, even if it may help you get hired. RC people. RC.

WTF?? that doesnt even make sense. So they hire Harvard grads disproportionately just so they can fire them disproportionately?

ETA: Im sorry I missed this debate. That had to have been the strangest series of posts ever by a poster who thought he/she was legitimately making some kind of point.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:51 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
slax wrote:I think everyone is missing the point. The question is does Harvard make a difference once you are hired? The answer is no, and if anything it is a negative ONCE YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN HIRED.

This is not about students being nice and getting along. It is not about where Harvard grads can get hired. It is not about the unique opportunities Harvard provides.

The point is that being a Harvard grad does not help you be a better lawyer, even if it may help you get hired. RC people. RC.

WTF?? that doesnt even make sense. So they hire Harvard grads disproportionately just so they can fire them disproportionately?

ETA: Im sorry I missed this debate. That had to have been the strangest series of posts ever by a poster who thought he/she was legitimately making some kind of point.

K, well we know your opinion. Now for those of us who aren't in yet, can we please just let this die. Or at least do us a favour and move it to a different thread.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:57 pm

CastleRock wrote:K, well we know your opinion. Now for those of us who aren't in yet, can we please just let this die. Or at least do us a favour and move it to a different thread.

Lol.. my bad. I was just dumbfounded. I guess I will hold on to my illustration of why going to school isnt what is bad for people who die in school shootings but guns are.

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Do the data you collected make for any interesting implications?

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Tagging the lucky 180th page.

Also @misterbingley: do your work. I'm calling you out.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:32 pm

mister bingsley did well! it's late. he shouldn't still be at work. i'm proud of you bingsley!

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 pm

ha i appreciate you taking my request (3 pages ago [my word!] this thread hasn't moved this fast in a while...) to heart, neon, but my self-ban was to the end of the business day. don't worry though, it'll go into effect come 9am tomorrow!

sonervous, thanks for the defense. you're the first numbers twin that i've found! i got your back!

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:18 pm

So I'm calling movement tommorrow. I think we see waitlists.

Any other predictions?

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:20 pm

CastleRock wrote:So I'm calling movement tommorrow. I think we see waitlists.

Any other predictions?

They snail mail you and it will take 3 weeks again for you to find out what they decided to do to you.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Knock wrote:
CastleRock wrote:So I'm calling movement tommorrow. I think we see waitlists.

Any other predictions?

They snail mail you and it will take 3 weeks again for you to find out what they decided to do to you.

You my friend, are an asshole. :P

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:58 am

misterbingley wrote:

Hey, just got back to the computer!

I was expecting a lot of subpar #s to be thrown my way, but most of the people waiting have at least one statistic over median. A few have very, very high lsats. I would say that a fair number of the waiting seem to be mild splitters, but only in the sense that 3.8 is a soft gpa floor. Also, there are a few retakes, but I don't know how JR views those.

To tell the truth I'm a bit disheartened, there are a lot of competitive apps still out there and most people seem content to ride out the waitlist. It's going to be an interesting summer.

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:02 am

arkansawyer wrote:
misterbingley wrote:

I was expecting a lot of subpar #s to be thrown my way, but most of the people waiting have at least one statistic over median. A few have very, very high lsats. I would say that a fair number of the waiting seem to be mild splitters, but only in the sense that 3.8 is a soft gpa floor. Also, there are a few retakes, but I don't know how JR views those.

To tell the truth I'm a bit disheartened, there are a lot of competitive apps still out there and most people seem content to ride out the waitlist. It's going to be an interesting summer.

My numbers are both below the median; I will gladly take a wait list at this point.

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:07 am

neonx wrote:
arkansawyer wrote:
misterbingley wrote:

My numbers are both below the median; I will gladly take a wait list at this point.

As you should. One person noted that last years WL-> admits typically had lower numbers. It makes sense that HLS would have attained their ideal medians and then have the lee-way to choose competitive candidates with lower numbers. I'd say those of us with lower numbers have probably been passed over for specific reasons.

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:10 am

If I had even .1 higher on my GPA, I feel like I would have had a much more predictable cycle.

rocktower3

Postby rocktower3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:11 am

Median GPA, way below median LSAT. I'm not even held.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:13 am

NikaneOkie wrote:If I had even .1 higher on my GPA, I feel like I would have had a much more predictable cycle.

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”