Harvard 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nulli Secundus

Gold

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Post by Nulli Secundus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:12 pm

I am just shortening my applications lifespan. The video below describes a likely scenario, the main character being JR and me the guy bumping into him (which represents my annoying posts).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EzU9sL ... re=related

snowkat

New

Post by snowkat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Just got held. Complete email 2/10. UR 2/1.

nadopretz

Bronze

Post by nadopretz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:25 pm

snowkat wrote:Just got held. Complete email 2/10. UR 2/1.
So so sorry SnowKat. That sucks. Also, wtf? People are still getting held?

snowkat

New

Post by snowkat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm

nadopretz wrote:
So so sorry SnowKat. That sucks. Also, wtf? People are still getting held?
Actually, totally the best I could hope for at this point, so I'll consider it a good thing.

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:27 pm

+1 also held. The wait continues.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:34 pm

They are still holding?

I guess they are reading over there.

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:35 pm

I also just got held. I applied for the 'fun' of it, since both my numbers are below their medians. Why am I being held in the beginning of April? Has Harvard waitlisted anyone yet? This is the first I've heard from them since I went UR 1/28 and complete a few days after that.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:56 pm

held todaayyyy

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Have we checked in on who has been waiting the longest with not a peep? I have only been waiting since UR 2/23, and I know there are applicants who have waited longer. But I am getting frustrated!!! I guess I got overconfident when Berkeley called me 3 days after they got my app. Harvard is soooooo not impressed. And that's fine...I just want to hear it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rocktower3

Bronze

Post by rocktower3 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:10 pm

pkt63 wrote:Have we checked in on who has been waiting the longest with not a peep? I have only been waiting since UR 2/23, and I know there are applicants who have waited longer. But I am getting frustrated!!! I guess I got overconfident when Berkeley called me 3 days after they got my app. Harvard is soooooo not impressed. And that's fine...I just want to hear it!
I'm in a similar position, UR (I think) 2/2 and nothing. I'm choosing to take it as a good sign that I've survived a couple waves of rejections, but I wonder why I haven't gotten a hold or anything! Perhaps we're borderline and are being pushed to the back of the stack until they figure out what the rest of their class will look like?

misterbingley

Bronze

Post by misterbingley » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:09 pm

this is what we were thinking around december/january. but by now, they must already know what the rest of the class looks like. their holds at this point are nonsensical!

cold_logic

New

Post by cold_logic » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:13 pm

Would it be ridiculous to send a second LOCI? I have a few resume updates and an even better rationale for wanting to attend after other law school visits.

arkansawyer

Bronze

Post by arkansawyer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:25 pm

Seems like a hold is just a precursor to a waitlist right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:42 pm

I'm going to have to withdraw due to scholarship stipulations at another school. :( Kind of sucks to get out of the game without ever knowing how it would've finished.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:42 pm

law_monkey wrote:I'm going to have to withdraw due to scholarship stipulations at another school. :( Kind of sucks to get out of the game without ever knowing how it would've finished.
You got one? Congrats!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm

law_monkey wrote:I'm going to have to withdraw due to scholarship stipulations at another school. :( Kind of sucks to get out of the game without ever knowing how it would've finished.
Definitely sucks to never get a final decision after applying early and paying $80 haha. But you gotta do it, can't pass up that scholly!

Kiwi917

Bronze

Post by Kiwi917 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Same here. I keep telling myself this is better than a WL --> reject over the summer. It's a little frustrating, but I'm getting excited about finalizing my decision and starting to make real plans for next year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DHB

New

Post by DHB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Got my hold email this afternoon.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:17 pm

Last edited by ShuckingNotJiving on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:21 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:

lawmonkey has a named scholly that requires you to withdraw from all other schools. normal schollys just require you to withdraw from schools you have already been accepted to - you can ride waitlists. it says so on the intent to enroll form.
Last edited by mcweanis on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiwi917

Bronze

Post by Kiwi917 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:52 pm

mcweanis wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:

Not to bring NYU up in hurr, but i'm not seeing where it says you need to withdraw from other schools. It states you can't accept any other offers, but nothing about having to withdraw from all schools. (one could leave apps open, just to see how things pan out, without any real intention of accepting an offer elsewhere). Did you contact someone directly?

To be more on topic, I was also held at Harvard.
love welcome to the dollhouse!!

lawmonkey has a named scholly that requires you to withdraw from all other schools. normal schollys just require you to withdraw from schools you have already been accepted to - you can ride waitlists. it says so on the intent to enroll form.
Berkeley's matching scholly is another that requires withdrawing all other apps: "If you accept the Matching Scholarship award, you must also accept our offer of admission. That means you must decline all other admissions offers, withdraw your applications from all other schools (regardless of whether you have received a decision from that school), and release your wait-list or "hold" spots from all other law schools where you have applied or been admitted." (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm#AcceptingAward)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:11 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:
Berkeley's matching scholly is another that requires withdrawing all other apps: "If you accept the Matching Scholarship award, you must also accept our offer of admission. That means you must decline all other admissions offers, withdraw your applications from all other schools (regardless of whether you have received a decision from that school), and release your wait-list or "hold" spots from all other law schools where you have applied or been admitted." (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm#AcceptingAward)
Yup that's why I haven't applied for a match. Waiting out H/S.

Kiwi917

Bronze

Post by Kiwi917 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Kiwi917 wrote:
Yup that's why I haven't applied for a match. Waiting out H/S.
Yeah, that's tough. I don't think I would take H at sticker over the Berkeley match, and I was rejected by S months ago...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:25 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:
Yeah, that's tough. I don't think I would take H at sticker over the Berkeley match, and I was rejected by S months ago...
I think I stand to get more need-based at H/S than I can get in merit at Berkeley, to be honest. Also, since Berkeley matches COA other than $ amount, I think they won't offer me much more even if they match it. Even if I actually have to pay sticker at H/S, I think the $60-90k difference is worth the incremental benefit in the brands - to me.

Kiwi917

Bronze

Post by Kiwi917 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Kiwi917 wrote:
I think I stand to get more need-based at H/S than I can get in merit at Berkeley, to be honest. Also, since Berkeley matches COA other than $ amount, I think they won't offer me much more even if they match it. Even if I actually have to pay sticker at H/S, I think the $60-90k difference is worth the incremental benefit in the brands - to me.
That seems like a good choice, then. My income and savings are too high to qualify for any need based aid, unfortunately. Minor point - Berkeley doesn't necessarily only match COA - they matched $ amount for me, and with in-state tuition it will be a much better deal than the other school. I also went to H for undergrad (now given up on not outing myself on these boards) and that might be influencing my opinion that the brand isn't worth it to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”