Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:12 pm

I am just shortening my applications lifespan. The video below describes a likely scenario, the main character being JR and me the guy bumping into him (which represents my annoying posts).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EzU9sL ... re=related

snowkat
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby snowkat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Just got held. Complete email 2/10. UR 2/1.

nadopretz
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby nadopretz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:25 pm

snowkat wrote:Just got held. Complete email 2/10. UR 2/1.


So so sorry SnowKat. That sucks. Also, wtf? People are still getting held?

snowkat
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby snowkat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm

nadopretz wrote:
snowkat wrote:Just got held. Complete email 2/10. UR 2/1.


So so sorry SnowKat. That sucks. Also, wtf? People are still getting held?


Actually, totally the best I could hope for at this point, so I'll consider it a good thing.

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby champsound » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:27 pm

snowkat wrote:Just got held. Complete email 2/10. UR 2/1.

+1 also held. The wait continues.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:34 pm

They are still holding?

I guess they are reading over there.

User avatar
Lisi
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Lisi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:35 pm

I also just got held. I applied for the 'fun' of it, since both my numbers are below their medians. Why am I being held in the beginning of April? Has Harvard waitlisted anyone yet? This is the first I've heard from them since I went UR 1/28 and complete a few days after that.

User avatar
mcweanis
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby mcweanis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:56 pm

held todaayyyy

pkt63
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby pkt63 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Have we checked in on who has been waiting the longest with not a peep? I have only been waiting since UR 2/23, and I know there are applicants who have waited longer. But I am getting frustrated!!! I guess I got overconfident when Berkeley called me 3 days after they got my app. Harvard is soooooo not impressed. And that's fine...I just want to hear it!

rocktower3
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:33 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby rocktower3 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:10 pm

pkt63 wrote:Have we checked in on who has been waiting the longest with not a peep? I have only been waiting since UR 2/23, and I know there are applicants who have waited longer. But I am getting frustrated!!! I guess I got overconfident when Berkeley called me 3 days after they got my app. Harvard is soooooo not impressed. And that's fine...I just want to hear it!


I'm in a similar position, UR (I think) 2/2 and nothing. I'm choosing to take it as a good sign that I've survived a couple waves of rejections, but I wonder why I haven't gotten a hold or anything! Perhaps we're borderline and are being pushed to the back of the stack until they figure out what the rest of their class will look like?

User avatar
misterbingley
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby misterbingley » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:09 pm

this is what we were thinking around december/january. but by now, they must already know what the rest of the class looks like. their holds at this point are nonsensical!

cold_logic
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:14 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby cold_logic » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:13 pm

Would it be ridiculous to send a second LOCI? I have a few resume updates and an even better rationale for wanting to attend after other law school visits.

User avatar
arkansawyer
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby arkansawyer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:25 pm

Seems like a hold is just a precursor to a waitlist right now.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby law_monkey » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:42 pm

I'm going to have to withdraw due to scholarship stipulations at another school. :( Kind of sucks to get out of the game without ever knowing how it would've finished.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:42 pm

law_monkey wrote:I'm going to have to withdraw due to scholarship stipulations at another school. :( Kind of sucks to get out of the game without ever knowing how it would've finished.


You got one? Congrats!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Knock » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm

law_monkey wrote:I'm going to have to withdraw due to scholarship stipulations at another school. :( Kind of sucks to get out of the game without ever knowing how it would've finished.


Definitely sucks to never get a final decision after applying early and paying $80 haha. But you gotta do it, can't pass up that scholly!

Kiwi917
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Kiwi917 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:26 pm

law_monkey wrote:I'm going to have to withdraw due to scholarship stipulations at another school. :( Kind of sucks to get out of the game without ever knowing how it would've finished.


Same here. I keep telling myself this is better than a WL --> reject over the summer. It's a little frustrating, but I'm getting excited about finalizing my decision and starting to make real plans for next year.

DHB
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby DHB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Got my hold email this afternoon.

User avatar
ShuckingNotJiving
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:17 pm

law_monkey wrote:I'm going to have to withdraw due to scholarship stipulations at another school. :( Kind of sucks to get out of the game without ever knowing how it would've finished.


.
Last edited by ShuckingNotJiving on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mcweanis
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby mcweanis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:21 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
law_monkey wrote:I'm going to have to withdraw due to scholarship stipulations at another school. :( Kind of sucks to get out of the game without ever knowing how it would've finished.






lawmonkey has a named scholly that requires you to withdraw from all other schools. normal schollys just require you to withdraw from schools you have already been accepted to - you can ride waitlists. it says so on the intent to enroll form.
Last edited by mcweanis on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiwi917
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Kiwi917 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:52 pm

mcweanis wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
law_monkey wrote:I'm going to have to withdraw due to scholarship stipulations at another school. :( Kind of sucks to get out of the game without ever knowing how it would've finished.



Not to bring NYU up in hurr, but i'm not seeing where it says you need to withdraw from other schools. It states you can't accept any other offers, but nothing about having to withdraw from all schools. (one could leave apps open, just to see how things pan out, without any real intention of accepting an offer elsewhere). Did you contact someone directly?

To be more on topic, I was also held at Harvard.


love welcome to the dollhouse!!

lawmonkey has a named scholly that requires you to withdraw from all other schools. normal schollys just require you to withdraw from schools you have already been accepted to - you can ride waitlists. it says so on the intent to enroll form.


Berkeley's matching scholly is another that requires withdrawing all other apps: "If you accept the Matching Scholarship award, you must also accept our offer of admission. That means you must decline all other admissions offers, withdraw your applications from all other schools (regardless of whether you have received a decision from that school), and release your wait-list or "hold" spots from all other law schools where you have applied or been admitted." (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm#AcceptingAward)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:11 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:
Berkeley's matching scholly is another that requires withdrawing all other apps: "If you accept the Matching Scholarship award, you must also accept our offer of admission. That means you must decline all other admissions offers, withdraw your applications from all other schools (regardless of whether you have received a decision from that school), and release your wait-list or "hold" spots from all other law schools where you have applied or been admitted." (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm#AcceptingAward)


Yup that's why I haven't applied for a match. Waiting out H/S.

Kiwi917
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Kiwi917 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Kiwi917 wrote:
Berkeley's matching scholly is another that requires withdrawing all other apps: "If you accept the Matching Scholarship award, you must also accept our offer of admission. That means you must decline all other admissions offers, withdraw your applications from all other schools (regardless of whether you have received a decision from that school), and release your wait-list or "hold" spots from all other law schools where you have applied or been admitted." (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm#AcceptingAward)


Yup that's why I haven't applied for a match. Waiting out H/S.


Yeah, that's tough. I don't think I would take H at sticker over the Berkeley match, and I was rejected by S months ago...

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:25 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:
Yeah, that's tough. I don't think I would take H at sticker over the Berkeley match, and I was rejected by S months ago...


I think I stand to get more need-based at H/S than I can get in merit at Berkeley, to be honest. Also, since Berkeley matches COA other than $ amount, I think they won't offer me much more even if they match it. Even if I actually have to pay sticker at H/S, I think the $60-90k difference is worth the incremental benefit in the brands - to me.

Kiwi917
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Kiwi917 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Kiwi917 wrote:
Yeah, that's tough. I don't think I would take H at sticker over the Berkeley match, and I was rejected by S months ago...


I think I stand to get more need-based at H/S than I can get in merit at Berkeley, to be honest. Also, since Berkeley matches COA other than $ amount, I think they won't offer me much more even if they match it. Even if I actually have to pay sticker at H/S, I think the $60-90k difference is worth the incremental benefit in the brands - to me.


That seems like a good choice, then. My income and savings are too high to qualify for any need based aid, unfortunately. Minor point - Berkeley doesn't necessarily only match COA - they matched $ amount for me, and with in-state tuition it will be a much better deal than the other school. I also went to H for undergrad (now given up on not outing myself on these boards) and that might be influencing my opinion that the brand isn't worth it to me.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], YoungSimba and 11 guests