Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby sarahh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 pm

jcn4 wrote:
Graduates known to be unemployed and seeking work 4.9%


This seems high


Yeah, I wonder what is the story there. People at the very bottom of the class? PI people?

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby mel2010 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:21 pm

sarahh wrote:
jcn4 wrote:
Graduates known to be unemployed and seeking work 4.9%


This seems high


Yeah, I wonder what is the story there. People at the very bottom of the class? PI people?


Biglaw or Bust that didn't quite get Biglaw?

ashleyryan
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby ashleyryan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:32 pm

3/15: application under review

User avatar
misterbingley
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby misterbingley » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:41 pm

what're your impressions on the likelihood of getting in off the harvard waitlist?
will it be like the top colleges, where hardly anyone gets off the WL or does harvard actually go deep into its WL?

(i realize none of us can know for sure. i'm just asking for speculations)

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby chasgoose » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:To give everybody here hope, I got in last year on the 2nd day of orientation. Got a JR2 w/o a JR1


Am I alone in saying HLS probably wouldn't be worth it to me at that point?

kak5n
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby kak5n » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Just had the JR1 today... let the nerve-wracking wait begin... then again, I was UR since October, so I've grown very patient!

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:45 pm

.
Last edited by rundoxierun on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:45 pm

chasgoose wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:To give everybody here hope, I got in last year on the 2nd day of orientation. Got a JR2 w/o a JR1


Am I alone in saying HLS probably wouldn't be worth it to me at that point?


Everything else equal (it ended up costing the same, considering Butler at CLS), my only trouble was moving from NYC to Boston on short notice.

ashleyryan
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby ashleyryan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:45 pm

kak5n wrote:Just had the JR1 today... let the nerve-wracking wait begin... then again, I was UR since October, so I've grown very patient!


how was it?!

kak5n
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby kak5n » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:48 pm

ashleyryan wrote:
kak5n wrote:Just had the JR1 today... let the nerve-wracking wait begin... then again, I was UR since October, so I've grown very patient!


how was it?!


I was expecting some curveball questions, but honestly it is very straightforward and you know exactly what he's going to ask you beforehand: Why law and why Harvard specifically? As long as you have coherent answers to those, it should be fine! It was over in five minutes and he said that they would review my file again before making a decision!

User avatar
miamiman09
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby miamiman09 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:49 pm

misterbingley wrote:what're your impressions on the likelihood of getting in off the harvard waitlist?
will it be like the top colleges, where hardly anyone gets off the WL or does harvard actually go deep into its WL?

(i realize none of us can know for sure. i'm just asking for speculations)


LSN for last year (link) shows quite a few Waitlist -> Accepted, primarily toward the end of May and beginning of June. It's a different cycle so it may be completely irrelevant but at least it's a glimmer of hope.

User avatar
NikaneOkie
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby NikaneOkie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:55 pm

kak5n wrote:Just had the JR1 today... let the nerve-wracking wait begin... then again, I was UR since October, so I've grown very patient!


Were you held or just forgotten?

User avatar
gatorgirl4life
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:56 pm

Don't most schools make you withdraw your other applications when you accept a scholarship? If I end up on the Harvard waitlist, I'd like to ride it for a while, but don't think I'd be able to if I accepted a scholarship from Chicago or NYU in April? Is that correct?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:58 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:Don't most schools make you withdraw your other applications when you accept a scholarship? If I end up on the Harvard waitlist, I'd like to ride it for a while, but don't think I'd be able to if I accepted a scholarship from Chicago or NYU in April? Is that correct?


I checked the fine print on Chicago, and it appears that we can remain on waitlists, but we have to withdraw from any schools we haven't received decisions from. And you can only have 1 deposit or seat reserved at a school.

User avatar
gatorgirl4life
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Knock wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:Don't most schools make you withdraw your other applications when you accept a scholarship? If I end up on the Harvard waitlist, I'd like to ride it for a while, but don't think I'd be able to if I accepted a scholarship from Chicago or NYU in April? Is that correct?


I checked the fine print on Chicago, and it appears that we can remain on waitlists, but we have to withdraw from any schools we haven't received decisions from.


Awesome! Thanks, Knock! :)

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:00 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:
Knock wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:Don't most schools make you withdraw your other applications when you accept a scholarship? If I end up on the Harvard waitlist, I'd like to ride it for a while, but don't think I'd be able to if I accepted a scholarship from Chicago or NYU in April? Is that correct?


I checked the fine print on Chicago, and it appears that we can remain on waitlists, but we have to withdraw from any schools we haven't received decisions from.


Awesome! Thanks, Knock! :)


Np, i'd double check me just to be safe.

ETA: And you can try and get the deadline extended. I might do this depending on how my situation is looking in 2 weeks or so.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:02 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:Don't most schools make you withdraw your other applications when you accept a scholarship? If I end up on the Harvard waitlist, I'd like to ride it for a while, but don't think I'd be able to if I accepted a scholarship from Chicago or NYU in April? Is that correct?


The only promise on the Butler form was that I would matriculate at CLS in the fall, which I did and took 3 weeks of classes before leaving. However I wanted to remain on the WLs so I called and asked before I accepted the scholly. They said it is not against their policy.

You can also mention the pending scholly deadline in your LOCI to HLS. That might prompt some action.

kak5n
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby kak5n » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:47 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:
kak5n wrote:Just had the JR1 today... let the nerve-wracking wait begin... then again, I was UR since October, so I've grown very patient!


Were you held or just forgotten?

I was held in January!

pix
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:58 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby pix » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:57 am

Anyone have an idea of when this week's admits will begin to receive mail correspondence? I don't think I'll believe it until I've got that in my hands.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Confused7 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:04 pm

pix wrote:Anyone have an idea of when this week's admits will begin to receive mail correspondence? I don't think I'll believe it until I've got that in my hands.


I received an email about LRAP from JR earlier this week, but I still haven't gotten the binder or HLS email information in the mail....

whytheface
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby whytheface » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:41 pm

pix wrote:Anyone have an idea of when this week's admits will begin to receive mail correspondence? I don't think I'll believe it until I've got that in my hands.


Take a look at your application status checker. Mine had a note about the package being sent the day after my JR2. It arrived a few days after that.

intheend
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby intheend » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:54 pm

App withdrawn today. Good luck everyone still waiting, especially fellow January holds!

Keeper1125
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:38 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Keeper1125 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:19 pm

pix wrote:Anyone have an idea of when this week's admits will begin to receive mail correspondence? I don't think I'll believe it until I've got that in my hands.


Judging from the mail dates in the status checker and posts in other threads, I get the sense that we'll probably get things tomorrow.

nadopretz
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby nadopretz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 am

Who is ready for Friday dings. I feel like my number is up today.

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby jrose5 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:50 am

nadopretz wrote:Who is ready for Friday dings. I feel like my number is up today.

+1
:(




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, lillawyer2, tinafeyclone and 6 guests