Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ElvisAaron

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:02 pm

jrose5 wrote:
tikiman6 wrote:My thoughts on this: Insofar as it behoves you to act prudently, then to the extent that you think it is doubtful that you get in (statistically), then incorporate that in your decisions to act on opportunities with an approaching expiration date. As to giving up hope, it stands to reason that the borderline cases would be the ones appealed to last. Therefore if you had a shot, you are likely straddling the border, and honestly are justified in holding onto the idea that there still is a chance that they will get to you. Even if you are the last one picked for the team, what you really wanted to be was on the team.

Also: any thoughts on correlation between duration of JR1 vs. shots at getting admitted?

+1

I've noticed this, too.

To be clear, I wasn't saying hey everyone is fucked, shows over, go home. I'm saying that there are obvious facts and trends evident now that indicate its the time to start seriously making and/or considering alternate plans.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:05 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
jrose5 wrote:
tikiman6 wrote:My thoughts on this: Insofar as it behoves you to act prudently, then to the extent that you think it is doubtful that you get in (statistically), then incorporate that in your decisions to act on opportunities with an approaching expiration date. As to giving up hope, it stands to reason that the borderline cases would be the ones appealed to last. Therefore if you had a shot, you are likely straddling the border, and honestly are justified in holding onto the idea that there still is a chance that they will get to you. Even if you are the last one picked for the team, what you really wanted to be was on the team.

Also: any thoughts on correlation between duration of JR1 vs. shots at getting admitted?

+1

I've noticed this, too.

To be clear, I wasn't saying hey everyone is fucked, shows over, go home. I'm saying that there are obvious facts and trends evident now that indicate its the time to start seriously making and/or considering alternate plans.

Hey, no need to feel defensive! (If you were, that is.) I got the idea and I agree with you - your honesty is appreciated.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Hah maybe a bit.
Felt the need to clarify since I'm getting bombed with PMs from lurkers who want to argue with me privately based on this thread so they can retain some illusion of the My Little Pony and Care Bear world where everyone gets in and there's always hope for every little boy and girl, always! :lol:

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:34 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Hah maybe a bit.
Felt the need to clarify since I'm getting bombed with PMs from lurkers who want to argue with me privately based on this thread so they can retain some illusion of the My Little Pony and Care Bear world where everyone gets in and there's always hope for every little boy and girl, always! :lol:

I generally agree with what you've been saying- truthfully for anyone without auto-admit numbers making alternate plans is probably the most sensible route. With a single digit admissions rate, Harvard is a reach for just about anyone. However, let's not get carried away and say that a few similarities between this year and last year constitute "obvious facts and trends". We have too small a sample size and too little information to be able to draw that conclusion.

We do know from the population that there are fundamental and significant differences in this applicant pool vs. in years past (or at least we can infer since we only have data through December). Yale extended its application deadline, Columbia was giving out last minute FWs to numerically hopeless candidates- I'm not saying we see 5-point drops in LSAT medians across the board, just that it would make sense for the cycle to lag a little behind years past given the smaller and less numerically qualified applicant pool.

So while I concur completely that starry-eyed UGs with breathless dreams of My Little Pony and "I <3 Harvard" written all over their diaries probably need to get a grip, I don't think it's necessarily correct to turn the lights out simply because "that's what happened last year".

tikiman6

Postby tikiman6 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:39 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
tikiman6 wrote:Even if you are the last one picked for the team, what you really wanted to be was on the team.

....either the profundity, relevance, and logical progression of this statement is way over my head, or it really is derp derp derp coming from someone who just had a JR1.. :|

Bitter?

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:43 pm

tikiman6 wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:
tikiman6 wrote:Even if you are the last one picked for the team, what you really wanted to be was on the team.

....either the profundity, relevance, and logical progression of this statement is way over my head, or it really is derp derp derp coming from someone who just had a JR1.. :|

Bitter?

I meant it to imply the JR1 fried your brain and you are now spouting derp.
C'mon, you must admit that comment makes no sense.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:46 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
tikiman6 wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:

Bitter?

Makes pretty decent sense to me. But sometimes I say things like, "What I don't even toaster strudel love affair." :wink:

Weirdlog

Postby Weirdlog » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:54 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
tikiman6 wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:

Bitter?

I totally understand all the doom and gloom feelings of despair going around. As someone with pretty good numbers who has not gotten a JR1 yet in what is "supposed" to be a weaker applicant pool (I'm still not convinced on this, by the way), I have been wrestling with these feelings myself, especially in the past few weeks, which seemed like the last chance for any of us still looking for JR1s.

But I'm not convinced we're out of the game, yet. There's still a lot of time left in the cycle and who knows what can happen on a waitlist?

Still too early to give up, friends.

degibogen214

Postby degibogen214 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Does anybody know from past cycles how Hold in Jan. --> JR1 in early march usually turns out for applicants? Or when they might get a JR2?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:01 pm

I have my JR1 soon...... I didn't apply until the deadline and I never even thought Harvard was a serious possibility and now I have a JR1. I feel like this might be a tease. I just figured I'd apply they'd reject me and I'd say well at least I gave it a shot. That still might happen but I don't buy into all this doom and gloom. Of course you have to prepare for other things but I'm going to say I have a chance until I get that rejection letter. Does anyone know what is the average wait between a JR1 and JR2 (or rejection letter).

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:02 pm

degibogen214 wrote:Does anybody know from past cycles how Hold in Jan. --> JR1 in early march usually turns out for applicants? Or when they might get a JR2?

They all get in! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, you'd have to root through a lot of individual profiles to get that info since hold dates aren't logged, only listed in notes if the applicant shares like that. If you've got the time, make LSN you home for the rest of the day.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:03 pm

degibogen214 wrote:Does anybody know from past cycles how Hold in Jan. --> JR1 in early march usually turns out for applicants? Or when they might get a JR2?

Only looking at last year's thread, it seems that most Jan. Hold --> JR1 got their J2s on March 8th, the last big batch of acceptances. But the timeline may not map onto this year's exactly since some Jan. Holds have their JR1s scheduled for this week.

JR2s can come anywhere from a few days to a few weeks or even months after the JR1. At this point in the cycle, I'm sure we'll hear back within a month (lol, please sooner) since there will be a massive wave of WLs/Rejections in April.

degibogen214

Postby degibogen214 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Confused7 wrote:

Only looking at last year's thread, it seems that most Jan. Hold --> JR1 got their J2s on March 8th, the last big batch of acceptances. But the timeline may not map onto this year's exactly since some Jan. Holds have their JR1s scheduled for this week.

JR2s can come anywhere from a few days to a few weeks or even months after the JR1. At this point in the cycle, I'm sure we'll hear back within a month (lol, please sooner) since there will be a massive wave of WLs/Rejections in April.

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, my JR1 is scheduled for this Friday. So. I guess we will just wait and see!

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:05 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:I have my JR1 soon...... I didn't apply until the deadline and I never even thought Harvard was a serious possibility and now I have a JR1. I feel like this might be a tease. I just figured I'd apply they'd reject me and I'd say well at least I gave it a shot. That still might happen but I don't buy into all this doom and gloom. Of course you have to prepare for other things but I'm going to say I have a chance until I get that rejection letter. Does anyone know what is the average wait between a JR1 and JR2 (or rejection letter).

based on your success so far, I´d say you´re justified in holding out hope. congrats on a great cycle, I´m glad to see a URM candidate do so well. the world needs more diversity in lawyers! best of luck wherever you choose to attend!

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:05 pm

degibogen214 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, my JR1 is scheduled for this Friday. So. I guess we will just wait and see!

Same here! Best of luck!!

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:06 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Hah maybe a bit.

psh Impossible things happen every day! ...I'm watching Cinderella now and it just seemed appropriate. Disney <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsm_FA2iSaI

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:08 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:I have my JR1 soon...... I didn't apply until the deadline and I never even thought Harvard was a serious possibility and now I have a JR1. I feel like this might be a tease. I just figured I'd apply they'd reject me and I'd say well at least I gave it a shot. That still might happen but I don't buy into all this doom and gloom. Of course you have to prepare for other things but I'm going to say I have a chance until I get that rejection letter. Does anyone know what is the average wait between a JR1 and JR2 (or rejection letter).

based on your success so far, I´d say you´re justified in holding out hope. congrats on a great cycle, I´m glad to see a URM candidate do so well. the world needs more diversity in lawyers! best of luck wherever you choose to attend!

Thanks man!

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:14 pm

Weirdlog wrote:I totally understand all the doom and gloom feelings of despair going around. As someone with pretty good numbers who has not gotten a JR1 yet in what is "supposed" to be a weaker applicant pool (I'm still not convinced on this, by the way), I have been wrestling with these feelings myself, especially in the past few weeks, which seemed like the last chance for any of us still looking for JR1s.

But I'm not convinced we're out of the game, yet. There's still a lot of time left in the cycle and who knows what can happen on a waitlist?

Still too early to give up, friends.

Looking at your great numbers and solid softs, unless there is something seriously wrong that we don't know about (LORs, statements, something), I think this actually gives credence to my theory that they're taking things a little slower this year. I'm not expecting the floodgates to open mid-March, nor do I realistically believe I'm going to be on the JR1 train, but it does seem like there's a good amount of movement still to come. Pointless speculation isn't good for my health, so I'm out.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:15 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:

Thanks man!

I read through your profile on LSN. Aside from being URM, you have a pretty badass work history. Good luck man!

If you don't get Harvard, which of those very fine scholarship offers will you be taking? My money is on Berk or UVA

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:17 pm

bhan87 wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:

Thanks man!

I read through your profile on LSN. Aside from being URM, you have a pretty badass work history. Good luck man!

If you don't get Harvard, which of those very fine scholarship offers will you be taking? My money is on Berk or UVA

haha yeah I also read the history and felt rather inadequate :) At least I know I´m fairly beaten! lol I didn´t get into Berk, much less get that outrageous scholarship!

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:50 pm

leaning toward Berkeley but NYU or Harvard would put up a good fight. Esp Harvard. I can't wait for this JR1

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:10 pm

The worst interview I've ever had.... He must think I'm a stumbling idiot. He wouldn't say anything and I just kept rambling on and on making myself seem like more of an idiot... I really messed this up :( . I'm normally so good at interviews but he was just so quiet....

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:13 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:The worst interview I've ever had.... He must think I'm a stumbling idiot. He wouldn't say anything and I just kept rambling on and on making myself seem like more of an idiot... I really messed this up :( . I'm normally so good at interviews but he was just so quiet....

Don't worry about it--one of the things we know is that JR writes notes while we talk, so he can use those notes in his later messages. Hence why some often find him to be "quiet" or distracted. So it might mean he was prepping your acceptance letter.

Good luck!

dot

Postby dot » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:14 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:The worst interview I've ever had.... He must think I'm a stumbling idiot. He wouldn't say anything and I just kept rambling on and on making myself seem like more of an idiot... I really messed this up :( . I'm normally so good at interviews but he was just so quiet....

Also felt this way. And have heard many feel the same way... and then get JR2s

So, he must not judge on it - I mean, some of those stumbling idiots have to turn out to be filling the seats at HLS (and turn out to be bright, capable people after all)

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:16 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:

Don't worry about it--one of the things we know is that JR writes notes while we talk, so he can use those notes in his later messages. Hence why some often find him to be "quiet" or distracted. So it might mean he was prepping your acceptance letter.

Good luck!

I bet it wasn´t as bad as you thought. I thought my Northwestern interview was crap and they admitted me three days later :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”