Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahh

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby sarahh » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:11 pm

fishdude wrote:In general, as someone who has had firsthand experience at Harvard, there is a certain douchebaggery that pervades the whole campus. It can't be entirely avoided, but to a large degree it can be made tolerable if you maintain a sense of humor. My thinking is that while Harvard is far from the perfect place, it just opens too many doors to pass up. I'm pretty confident I can find some good people there -- I did this weekend, including both current students and admits.

I am not sure if douchebaggery is the right word. It can feel intimidating, and there is not an overall sense of a happy little community. If you don't put in any effort, I think it is pretty easy to fall through the cracks and not make a connection to anyone. But if you put in the effort, you will find some pretty friendly, down-to-earth people. I made some amazing friends in undergrad (and met my husband!) who were very supportive and not at all egotistical.

The cost of the housing is a negative, but I think that Boston is a nice place to be and it has pretty good public transportation. For those that want to live near campus, don't forget about HRES.

A side note: I laughed when I saw that they were having an event at the Kong. I feel that it is the place you think that everyone goes to when you are a freshman, but after you turn 21, you realize that it sucks and there are much better places to go have a drink.
Last edited by sarahh on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:16 pm

Confused7 wrote:
moneko wrote:
Confused7 wrote:JR1 this week as well, and nervous as heck....HLS is most definitely my first choice, and it would be a dream come true if I could get in before the April ASW to check it out!

me too... are we near the last batch of JR1s handed out? :/

According to last year's thread, there were a scattered few JR1s in the beginning of April. And then if I remember correctly, the rest were joint JR1 + JR2 after waitlists began. =/ Good luck on your JR1!

Any idea about JR2s?

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:27 pm

Knock wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
moneko wrote:
Confused7 wrote:JR1 this week as well, and nervous as heck....HLS is most definitely my first choice, and it would be a dream come true if I could get in before the April ASW to check it out!

me too... are we near the last batch of JR1s handed out? :/

According to last year's thread, there were a scattered few JR1s in the beginning of April. And then if I remember correctly, the rest were joint JR1 + JR2 after waitlists began. =/ Good luck on your JR1!

Any idea about JR2s?

I don't remember there being any right after Spring Break, but there might have been a few in early April. Since spring break is 1 week later this year, I don't how that affects the timeline. All I know is I don't want to wait a whole month to hear. >.>

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Haha. Well I have to withdraw in about a month if I don't get in anyways so hopefully I hear back one way or the other before then.

fishdude

Postby fishdude » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:28 pm

sarahh wrote:
fishdude wrote:In general, as someone who has had firsthand experience at Harvard, there is a certain douchebaggery that pervades the whole campus. It can't be entirely avoided, but to a large degree it can be made tolerable if you maintain a sense of humor. My thinking is that while Harvard is far from the perfect place, it just opens too many doors to pass up. I'm pretty confident I can find some good people there -- I did this weekend, including both current students and admits.

I am not sure if douchebaggery is the right word. It can feel intimidating, and there is not an overall sense of a happy little community. If you don't put in any effort, I think it is pretty easy to fall through the cracks and not make a connection to anyone. But if you put in the effort, you will find some pretty friendly, down-to-earth people. I made some amazing friends in undergrad (and met my husband!) who were very supportive and not at all egotistical.

The cost of the housing is a negative, but I think that Boston is a nice place to be and it has pretty good public transportation. For those that want to live near campus, don't forget about HRES.

A side note: I laughed when I saw that they were having an event at the Kong. I feel that it is the place you think that everyone goes to when you are a freshman, but after you turn 21, you realize that it sucks and there are much better places to go have a drink.

I should clarify that the above comment was based on my experience in GSAS, where my department was full of huge egos (and not just among the faculty). The law students were surprisingly friendly and normal, which reassured me about HLS.

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:38 am

Pssst, Harvard. Please look at the new February LSAT scores.

Yours truly,
E.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:47 am

Does H only accept snail mail stuff? I have a scholarship deadline I need to inform them of in about a month, but if it's snail mail I got to get it mailed fairly soon.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:48 am

Knock wrote:Does H only accept snail mail stuff? I have a scholarship deadline I need to inform them of in about a month, but if it's snail mail I got to get it mailed fairly soon.

No, you can email them. They just won't open attachments. So if they want proof of your scholly, you are going to have to snail mail it to them.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:49 am

CastleRock wrote:
Knock wrote:Does H only accept snail mail stuff? I have a scholarship deadline I need to inform them of in about a month, but if it's snail mail I got to get it mailed fairly soon.

No, you can email them. They just won't open attachments. So if they want proof of your scholly, you are going to have to snail mail it to them.

Gotcha. Do they ever ask for that? I'm not asking them to match or anything just need a decision by a certain date.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:52 am

Knock wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Gotcha. Do they ever ask for that? I'm not asking them to match or anything just need a decision by a certain date.

Lol, like I'd know knock? I doubt they will ask for confirmation. A couple other people have informed them and I didn't see anything about providing documentation. So you're probably fine.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:53 am

CastleRock wrote:
Knock wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Lol, like I'd know knock? I doubt they will ask for confirmation. A couple other people have informed them and I didn't see anything about providing documentation. So you're probably fine.

Okay, I won't email them for a few weeks then.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:38 am

Confused7 wrote:
Knock wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
moneko wrote:me too... are we near the last batch of JR1s handed out? :/

Any idea about JR2s?

I don't remember there being any right after Spring Break, but there might have been a few in early April. Since spring break is 1 week later this year, I don't how that affects the timeline. All I know is I don't want to wait a whole month to hear. >.>

Last year =/= this year. Ergo, I'm not sure how much we can realistically lean on last year's cycle as relevant and predictive precedent.

tikiman6

Postby tikiman6 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:52 am

Just got done with JR1. Hands are shaking. I think I stammered more than Bertie in the King's Speech. JR probably thinks I'm a bleeding idiot.

As a side note, hello to everybody else in limbo. I look forward to my stay here until we are sent to Paradise or the Inferno. (Literary nitpickers - yes, Purgatory was different from limbo)

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:55 am

[/quote]

I'm not sure how much we can realistically lean on last year's cycle as relevant and predictive precedent.[/quote]

And last year was JR's first year. A sample size of one does not have very great predictive power, imo.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:04 pm

All very true. But it's good to feel some semblance of order even when there's none. :) Anyone think medians will change this year?

Also tikiman, I'm sure you did great! Everyone underestimates themselves on these things. I'll be joining you shortly. :| Hope good news is on the way!

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 pm

jrose5 wrote:
I'm not sure how much we can realistically lean on last year's cycle as relevant and predictive precedent.

And last year was JR's first year. A sample size of one does not have very great predictive power, imo.

Really its not significantly different from the year before though, and the volume patterns match even if the timing isnt exact. One big bunch of admits in late Feb/early March, then everyone else gets the ding or WL at the end of March and April with VERY FEW exceptions, and some of those may easily be date punch errors in LSN.

Lets face it. As of now, those of us without a JR1 need to quit thinking about it and make plans to go elsewhere. Those with a JR1/No JR2 still have reason to hope...but not much.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:50 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Really its not significantly different from the year before though, and the volume patterns match even if the timing isnt exact. One big bunch of admits in late Feb/early March, then everyone else gets the ding or WL at the end of March and April with VERY FEW exceptions, and some of those may easily be date punch errors in LSN.

Lets face it. As of now, those of us without a JR1 need to quit thinking about it and make plans to go elsewhere. Those with a JR1/No JR2 still have reason to hope...but not much.

That post has the effect of "Let's face it, you have cancer, AIDS, syphillis, antibiotic-resistant strain of tuberculosis and EBOLA."

Just fyi.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:53 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:Really its not significantly different from the year before though, and the volume patterns match even if the timing isnt exact. One big bunch of admits in late Feb/early March, then everyone else gets the ding or WL at the end of March and April with VERY FEW exceptions, and some of those may easily be date punch errors in LSN.

That post has the effect of "Let's face it, you have cancer, AIDS, syphillis, antibiotic-resistant strain of tuberculosis and EBOLA."

Just fyi.

Hm, well to continue on with the analogy, I feel like a patient with "cancer, AIDS, syphillis..." who has been told that he/she has "cancer, AIDS, syphillis"....

I love Harvard and it would be my absolute #1 choice, but no way would I ever get a JR1, barring a miracle. I know people who have gotten in with similar credentials as my own, but that was back in the days of Toby Stock.

Those of you with JR1s + no JR2s yet, I wouldn't feel down. You may very likely be the few people accepted after early March.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:

Just fyi.

Just tryin to keep it real, yo.

but yeah, I know. It feels like that to me too. But I'm tired of hoping and holding off other plans in the face of solid statistics, and with this last round of admits the pattern fits too well. Its cathartic for me to write it, face it, and move on, sorry if it depresses others.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:07 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:

Just fyi.

but yeah, I know. It feels like that to me too. But I'm tired of hoping and holding off other plans in the face of solid statistics, and with this last round of admits the pattern fits too well. Its cathartic for me to write it, face it, and move on, sorry if it depresses others.

Meh, I wouldn't be so quick to completely discount the significance of the drop in volume given that a.) the 23% YoY decrease in 175+ scorers and b.) substantial number of people getting held, including those with very solid numbers who have then been trickling out into JR1s, I think things may be a bit slower this year as schools (yes, even Magic H) play it cautiously in the face of a smaller and less numerically qualified applicant pool.

Obviously I have no real statistics to support this theory and it could be blatant wishful thinking, but I know that a 12% decline in applications is not a drop in the bucket, nor is it business as usual as adcomms have gotten used to over the past decade or so. Given the twin mandates of maintaining/improving numbers while admitting candidates who seem actually interesting, I think the logical reaction would be for law schools to take a little longer thus pushing the cycle back a bit vs. last year.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:17 pm

swampthang wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:

Just fyi.

Meh, I wouldn't be so quick to completely discount the significance of the drop in volume given that a.) the 23% YoY decrease in 175+ scorers and b.) substantial number of people getting held, including those with very solid numbers who have then been trickling out into JR1s, I think things may be a bit slower this year as schools (yes, even Magic H) play it cautiously in the face of a smaller and less numerically qualified applicant pool.

Obviously I have no real statistics to support this theory and it could be blatant wishful thinking, but I know that a 12% decline in applications is not a drop in the bucket, nor is it business as usual as adcomms have gotten used to over the past decade or so. Given the twin mandates of maintaining/improving numbers while admitting candidates who seem actually interesting, I think the logical reaction would be for law schools to take a little longer thus pushing the cycle back a bit vs. last year.

Hey people gotta believe what they want to keep em going, you can justify pretty much anything. But I for one don't wanna be a chump waiting around by the phone while Harvard is out banging all kinds of hot chicks and the evidence is right in front of me. I figure facing reality sooner rather than later is prudent.
Do I want to go to Harvard? Hell yes. If they call me in August I'll still go. But for now, the seat deposit and my plans are going elsewhere.

tikiman6

Postby tikiman6 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:25 pm

My thoughts on this: Insofar as it behoves you to act prudently, then to the extent that you think it is doubtful that you get in (statistically), then incorporate that in your decisions to act on opportunities with an approaching expiration date. As to giving up hope, it stands to reason that the borderline cases would be the ones appealed to last. Therefore if you had a shot, you are likely straddling the border, and honestly are justified in holding onto the idea that there still is a chance that they will get to you. Even if you are the last one picked for the team, what you really wanted to be was on the team.

Also: any thoughts on correlation between duration of JR1 vs. shots at getting admitted?

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:44 pm

tikiman6 wrote:Even if you are the last one picked for the team, what you really wanted to be was on the team.

....either the profundity, relevance, and logical progression of this statement is way over my head, or it really is derp derp derp coming from someone who just had a JR1.. :|

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:49 pm

tikiman6 wrote:
Also: any thoughts on correlation between duration of JR1 vs. shots at getting admitted?

I think this has too much variance. Didn't JR say that sometimes he calls to clarify something about your application, to ask something specific to you, and/or to ask you the standard questions? It would also depend on the questions you ask him in the end. I think as long as you answer all questions coherently and pose 1-2 of your own, you did well regardless of time (at this point prolly taking you to around the 5 minute mark).

Any thoughts on the chances of those with JR1s this late in the game?

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:53 pm

tikiman6 wrote:My thoughts on this: Insofar as it behoves you to act prudently, then to the extent that you think it is doubtful that you get in (statistically), then incorporate that in your decisions to act on opportunities with an approaching expiration date. As to giving up hope, it stands to reason that the borderline cases would be the ones appealed to last. Therefore if you had a shot, you are likely straddling the border, and honestly are justified in holding onto the idea that there still is a chance that they will get to you. Even if you are the last one picked for the team, what you really wanted to be was on the team.

+1

I've noticed this, too.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”