Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dpase22

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby dpase22 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:51 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:This is crazy I sent in a last minute app to Harvard on 2/1 and wasn't even thinking I had a chance (actually only checked my status checker once) and now I have a JR1, next week. I getting nervous now. Is he a cool guy to talk to? How long did your conversations last? I'm going to look through the thread now to see if there are any tips but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm still amazed I got the email.

In my JR1, he asked very basic questions: (a) What are you going to do with a JD?; (b) Why Harvard?; (c) Do you have any questions for me about Harvard?. Everything he said was straightforward, clearly spoken, and friendly. It lasted about 5 minutes.

The only tricky aspect of the conversation is that he does not acknowledge your points as you speak. Each time I finished my answer, he did not give any sign that he thought I was done, and so I felt compelled to continue. It is easy to ramble in such a situation, and I did so to a degree. This is how he subtly keeps you off balance, while never actually saying anything. It felt like a mediocre conversation, but I got my JR2 a few days later.

---

Congratulations and Good Luck!

miamiman09

Postby miamiman09 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:I guess they aren't holding / dinging anyone today.

(I know that according to slasher movie rules, I just signed my own death warrant. Oh well, so long and thanks for all the fish!)

You've doomed us all! :shock:

But it does seem they are taking the day off. I just hope I don't have to go through this for another week! Come ooooon, good-news Monday!

123kl

Postby 123kl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:57 pm

dpase22 wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:This is crazy I sent in a last minute app to Harvard on 2/1 and wasn't even thinking I had a chance (actually only checked my status checker once) and now I have a JR1, next week. I getting nervous now. Is he a cool guy to talk to? How long did your conversations last? I'm going to look through the thread now to see if there are any tips but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm still amazed I got the email.

In my JR1, he asked very basic questions: (a) What are you going to do with a JD?; (b) Why Harvard?; (c) Do you have any questions for me about Harvard?. Everything he said was straightforward, clearly spoken, and friendly. It lasted about 5 minutes.

The only tricky aspect of the conversation is that he does not acknowledge your points as you speak. Each time I finished my answer, he did not give any sign that he thought I was done, and so I felt compelled to continue. It is easy to ramble in such a situation, and I did so to a degree. This is how he subtly keeps you off balance, while never actually saying anything. It felt like a mediocre conversation, but I got my JR2 a few days later.

---

+1 on him not really acknowledging your answers.....

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:59 pm

123kl wrote:
dpase22 wrote:

---

+1 on him not really acknowledging your answers.....

This is what makes it an interview and not a conversation, right? I hate when people do this . . .

moneko

Postby moneko » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Last edited by moneko on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcdonrb

Postby mcdonrb » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:07 pm

miamiman09 wrote:

(I know that according to slasher movie rules, I just signed my own death warrant. Oh well, so long and thanks for all the fish!)

But it does seem they are taking the day off. I just hope I don't have to go through this for another week! Come ooooon, good-news Monday!

They're waiting until the Friday before Spring Break, that way nobody can call the office until 10 days after they've got the bad news. Very clever, Harvard.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:16 pm

mcdonrb wrote:
miamiman09 wrote:

They're waiting until the Friday before Spring Break, that way nobody can call the office until 10 days after they've got the bad news. Very clever, Harvard.

Yep they are taking a page from LSAC's playbook. At 04:59 PM EST, our mailboxes will collectively go (1) and BOOM.

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Held today :(

at least I wasn't an autoreject!

and now I hope for a JR1

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:46 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:Held today :(

and now I hope for a JR1

Just now?

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:47 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:Held today :(

and now I hope for a JR1

:(

Mind sharing when you went complete?

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:56 pm

Didn't have access to my computer today but looks like I got the email at around 4.

Got the complete email 1/13, but my checker said UR 1/5 which I did think was kinda strange.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:04 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:Didn't have access to my computer today but looks like I got the email at around 4.

Got the complete email 1/13, but my checker said UR 1/5 which I did think was kinda strange.

I don't believe it ever changes from UR, even if you go complete. It's what I've heard from this forum - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:10 pm

jrose5 wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:Didn't have access to my computer today but looks like I got the email at around 4.

I don't believe it ever changes from UR, even if you go complete. It's what I've heard from this forum - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

How could it be under review if they didn't have my dec. lsat though? Maybe they just decided to review me with the September lsat even though I sent them a letter asking them not to. :shock:

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:13 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:
jrose5 wrote:

How could it be under review if they didn't have my dec. lsat though? Maybe they just decided to review me with the September lsat even though I sent them a letter asking them not to. :shock:

I have no idea... but since you got that "Hold," you should be glad that they'll look at your application again... with the new LSAT?

I take the hold email to be a good thing, for Harvard. I guess in my mind there's no such thing as an auto admit for HLS (probably not true), so the fact that they're willing to consider your app more is a positive thought... just my take. :) Best of luck to you.

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:19 pm

jrose5 wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:
jrose5 wrote:

I have no idea... but since you got that "Hold," you should be glad that they'll look at your application again... with the new LSAT?

I take the hold email to be a good thing, for Harvard. I guess in my mind there's no such thing as an auto admit for HLS (probably not true), so the fact that they're willing to consider your app more is a positive thought... just my take. :) Best of luck to you.

couldn't agree more!

i can now definitively say that i wasn't an autoreject, and hey, that has to count for something!

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:20 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:
jrose5 wrote:

Just as an fyi, I went UR at Harvard on 1/4. I also had a dec. lsat retake. (When I submitted my app Dec. 15th, I asked that my app would be held for the new dec. score) When I called to make sure they had received my new score before reviewing my app, they said the law school received the score... I questioned that at first, but now I see I'm not the only one who went UR before the Dec. score showed up on 1/6. (My JR1 was a ~couple weeks ago).

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:22 pm

It is always so silent on Sunday nights...I can't be the only one here incapable of doing work due to the possibility of a Harvard admit tomorrow?

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm

thecynic69 wrote:It is always so silent on Sunday nights...I can't be the only one here incapable of doing work due to the possibility of a Harvard admit tomorrow?

actually Sunday is the only day i can do work! (despite my presence on TLS) I have successfully cleaned my apartment, done laundry, gone grocery shopping and written a LOCI :D

I <3 non status-checker days.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:37 pm

thecynic69 wrote:It is always so silent on Sunday nights...I can't be the only one here incapable of doing work due to the possibility of a Harvard admit tomorrow?

Good luck to all those waiting for JR2!!

misspoopers

Postby misspoopers » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:17 am

Confused7 wrote:

Good luck to all those waiting for JR2!!

Ive had a surprisingly productive day today too (gym, groceries, cleaned). Tomorrow is going to be brutal I am in meetings from 8:30 am until 2pm and checking my phone every 5 minutes is going to piss off my clients and boss.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! :mrgreen:

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:39 am

I managed to watch a season of scrubs...

dot

Postby dot » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 am

Oh man, I hate being so many hours ahead.. makes my Monday mornings and afternoons soooo unproductive as I know it will soon be Monday morning in MA.

Especially today. 3/8/10 was the last big day of admits in last year's LSN data... Plus last week's tweet

Up to our eyeballs in applications, so no admit calls today. Big day early next week though!
12:15 AM Mar 1st via web

ahhh

mcdonrb

Postby mcdonrb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:32 am

Sorry if this has been posted before, but does anyone know, ballpark, when they make JR2 calls?

123kl

Postby 123kl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:46 am

mcdonrb wrote:Sorry if this has been posted before, but does anyone know, ballpark, when they make JR2 calls?

He usually starts around nine am.

dot

Postby dot » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:56 am

123kl wrote:
mcdonrb wrote:Sorry if this has been posted before, but does anyone know, ballpark, when they make JR2 calls?

He usually starts around nine am.

5min!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”