Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nulli Secundus

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:Why are H admits shy? The total number of people in Class of 2014 Facebook groups (over 2 groups) is 48 and I guess at least 650 or so people are accepted by now.

EDIT: By comparison Yale 2014 group has 100+ out of a much smaller class size.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:14 pm

shoop wrote:I get through the day by telling myself that HLS has already decided to admit me in spite of the 170, but is making me wait longer than usual between JR1 and JR2 so that I don't get cocky and start thinking that I can keep underperforming on major measures of ability and still get everything I want in life. They're looking out for me, really. It's for my own good.

:lol: :lol:

That's a nice thought.

hoopla14

Postby hoopla14 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:26 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:Why are H admits shy? The total number of people in Class of 2014 Facebook groups (over 2 groups) is 48 and I guess at least 650 or so people are accepted by now.

EDIT: By comparison Yale 2014 group has 100+ out of a much smaller class size.

Don't think this applies all that widely, but I'm not on FB, so I don't have the option.

Seems like the Yale thread though is "official": you get it with the email accepting you, and get access to some info that way. I think the Harvard group, by contrast, is rogue.

sghall

Postby sghall » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi all. I just recently discovered TLS and have been reading various threads for a week or so now, but I finally decided to actually join the conversation. I got my JR2 from Harvard yesterday (174/3.91). I wanted to hopefully relieve some of the stress of those of you who did a JR1 and are waiting for JR2. People on this forum have been saying that the JR2 usually comes on the Monday after your JR1, but mine didn't so I was freaking out. But mine ended up coming 2 Mondays after my JR1. So I don't think there's a hard and fast rule about how long it takes to get a JR2. So if you're still waiting, don't give up hope!

misspoopers

Postby misspoopers » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:13 pm

sghall wrote:Hi all. I just recently discovered TLS and have been reading various threads for a week or so now, but I finally decided to actually join the conversation. I got my JR2 from Harvard yesterday (174/3.91). I wanted to hopefully relieve some of the stress of those of you who did a JR1 and are waiting for JR2. People on this forum have been saying that the JR2 usually comes on the Monday after your JR1, but mine didn't so I was freaking out. But mine ended up coming 2 Mondays after my JR1. So I don't think there's a hard and fast rule about how long it takes to get a JR2. So if you're still waiting, don't give up hope!

...so potential JR2s next Monday (28th) for those that JR1'd Feb 14th-18th.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:36 pm

By comparison Yale 2014 group has 100+ out of a much smaller class size.

I think this is at least partly due to the fact that Craig Jacenek includes a link to the Facebook group in his Yale welcome email and encourages people to join (this is according to the Yale thread). By contrast, H admits have to search out the group.

ETA: Didn't realize someone had already answered this, sorry.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:20 pm

sghall wrote:Hi all. I just recently discovered TLS and have been reading various threads for a week or so now, but I finally decided to actually join the conversation. I got my JR2 from Harvard yesterday (174/3.91). I wanted to hopefully relieve some of the stress of those of you who did a JR1 and are waiting for JR2. People on this forum have been saying that the JR2 usually comes on the Monday after your JR1, but mine didn't so I was freaking out. But mine ended up coming 2 Mondays after my JR1. So I don't think there's a hard and fast rule about how long it takes to get a JR2. So if you're still waiting, don't give up hope!

thanks for the positive encouragement!
--ImageRemoved--

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:22 pm

So, nothing on the day we had some JR1 e-mails last week. I guess we entered "The Great Silence" until March.

MaxWeber

Postby MaxWeber » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Last edited by MaxWeber on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

123kl

Postby 123kl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:49 pm

MaxWeber wrote:had the JR1 yesterday. it was mostly me talking, whole call was about 10 minutes, of which i was probably speaking for 8. i explained why i was applying to law school (i.e. why i decided not to pursue a phd, how i really took to the law and legal theoretical courses i've taken), and then talked about the various things harvard offered that made it the best opportunity for my interests and ambitions....i'm concerned that i shoulda let him talk more? efffffffffff

Nah. My call was over thirteen and a half minutes. Got my JR2 4 days later. You're fine.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:55 pm

MaxWeber wrote:had the JR1 yesterday. it was mostly me talking, whole call was about 10 minutes, of which i was probably speaking for 8. i explained why i was applying to law school (i.e. why i decided not to pursue a phd, how i really took to the law and legal theoretical courses i've taken), and then talked about the various things harvard offered that made it the best opportunity for my interests and ambitions....i'm concerned that i shoulda let him talk more? efffffffffff

Don't worry about it. JR hardly said anything during my interview (except when I asked him a question at the end, which he answered thoroughly). The point is for him to hear what YOU have to say and it sounds like you had very thoughtful and substantive answers. So try to relax as much as possible, though I know it's hard.

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 pm

I have my JR1 tomorrow and have this same concern that I will be talking too much- it's good to know others feel the same way and that it should work out to be ok. Did he throw any curve balls?

Hope we both get our JR2 soon!

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:25 pm

eaa1537 wrote:

I have my JR1 tomorrow and have this same concern that I will be talking too much- it's good to know others feel the same way and that it should work out to be ok. Did he throw any curve balls?

I think something important to remember is don't be afraid to show how excited you are. I read in an interview JR did that it really stands out when he can tell how enthusiastic an applicant is about HLS. I knew that I would sound super nervous in my interview, but I was excited, too. It worked for me. Maybe I actually sounded silly and got in in spite of this? Who knows, but I think enthusiasm is key.

Best of luck to you tomorrow eaa!

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:29 pm

ebeth wrote: I think something important to remember is don't be afraid to show how excited you are. I read in an interview JR did that it really stands out when he can tell how enthusiastic an applicant is about HLS. I knew that I would sound super nervous in my interview, but I was excited, too. It worked for me. Maybe I actually sounded silly and got in in spite of this? Who knows, but I think enthusiasm is key.

Good to know and thanks!!!! Maybe we'll be classmates :D

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:33 pm

eaa1537 wrote:
ebeth wrote: I think something important to remember is don't be afraid to show how excited you are. I read in an interview JR did that it really stands out when he can tell how enthusiastic an applicant is about HLS. I knew that I would sound super nervous in my interview, but I was excited, too. It worked for me. Maybe I actually sounded silly and got in in spite of this? Who knows, but I think enthusiasm is key.

Good to know and thanks!!!! Maybe we'll be classmates :D

Good luck eaa!!! And make sure you watch Damon and Stefan tomorrow night to celebrate! :wink:

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Finally UR! My app was received 1/27 and the status checker shows me UR as of today. Nowhere near as exciting as getting a JR1, but at least I know I'm not lost.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:37 pm

pkt63 wrote:Finally UR! My app was received 1/27 and the status checker shows me UR as of today. Nowhere near as exciting as getting a JR1, but at least I know I'm not lost.

With those stats and WE, I think you will get a JR1.

misspoopers

Postby misspoopers » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:47 pm

i wish i could just go to sleep and wake up and have it be Monday lol

Good luck to those who just had your JR1s :) I had mine last week, and Ive been a nervous wreck ever since. On one hand Im super excited I got a chance to interview which so many people don't get, but on the other, if i get rejected, the sting is going to be a lot worse :( :(

delusional

Postby delusional » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:16 pm

eaa1537 wrote:

Had my JR1 recently and I've been mulling it ever since. I think I did poorly, and I think the reason was I overthought it. I knew he'd ask "Why law school" and "why Harvard" but I approached it like I was defending myself to the snarkiest TLSers. It's just a simple question - looking back, I don't think he actually meant "oh, yeah? the economy sucks, There are too many lawyers, so you think you used to argue a lot and you're a general smartass so the world owes you a scholarship and $160,000 starting salary?" I think he just meant, "hey guy, what is it that you see yourself gaining from law school, and why Harvard in particular?"

miamiman09

Postby miamiman09 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:40 pm

delusional wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:

Had my JR1 recently and I've been mulling it ever since. I think I did poorly, and I think the reason was I overthought it. I knew he'd ask "Why law school" and "why Harvard" but I approached it like I was defending myself to the snarkiest TLSers. It's just a simple question - looking back, I don't think he actually meant "oh, yeah? the economy sucks, There are too many lawyers, so you think you used to argue a lot and you're a general smartass so the world owes you a scholarship and $160,000 starting salary?" I think he just meant, "hey guy, what is it that you see yourself gaining from law school, and why Harvard in particular?"

I'd just try not to replay it over and over in your head. I keep catching myself doing just that and picking apart what I should have said or should have left out. I'm sure nearly everyone on a JR1 is nervous and feels like they could have done better. Not worth beating yourself up about it now...

delusional

Postby delusional » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:46 pm

miamiman09 wrote:
delusional wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:

I'd just try not to replay it over and over in your head. I keep catching myself doing just that and picking apart what I should have said or should have left out. I'm sure nearly everyone on a JR1 is nervous and feels like they could have done better. Not worth beating yourself up about it now...

Yeah, no worries. I'm just trying to make it easier for those who follow. I had the devil of a time finding advice on TLS - what little there is is buried intermittently in the yearly Harvard threads.

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:16 am

So I noticed a few people commented that their JR1s lasted 10+ minutes. My JR1 was incredibly short; I talked for maybe 3 mins, and then asked him a question, that took him maybe one minute to answer. After my JR1, I looked around and saw that a lot of people reported similarly short JR1s, and so I felt alright. But after seeing these posts, I have to ask, what did you guys talk about for ten mins? He asked me why Harvard, I told him why Harvard (and in particular why Harvard and not (insert other competitive law school here); he asked me what I wanted to do with a law degree, and I told him what I wanted to do, both short run and long run (he didn't ask why I wanted to do that stuff, so I didn't tell him--that info was neatly set out in my personal statement and some interviewers hate when people answer questions that are not asked).

I'm not really that worried, and I certainly don't mean to suggest that people with longer JR1s talked too long (i.e. that they made a mistake). I subscribe to the theory that the JR1 is about not dropping the ball (with a possible exception for people with borderline stats). Mostly what I wanted to do is report my experience so that people didn't think "My JR1 lasted a few mins, these ppl reported 10-15 mins, FML."

All that said, I wouldn't mind knowing how people managed to answer JR's questions over the course of 10+ mins without repeating themselves, resorting to saying cliches like "I want to work with (insert awesome faculty member)", or otherwise inserting their foot into their mouth. Feel free to PM if you are more comfortable with that.

miamiman09

Postby miamiman09 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:51 am

thecynic69 wrote:So I noticed a few people commented that their JR1s lasted 10+ minutes. My JR1 was incredibly short; I talked for maybe 3 mins, and then asked him a question, that took him maybe one minute to answer. After my JR1, I looked around and saw that a lot of people reported similarly short JR1s, and so I felt alright. But after seeing these posts, I have to ask, what did you guys talk about for ten mins? He asked me why Harvard, I told him why Harvard (and in particular why Harvard and not (insert other competitive law school here); he asked me what I wanted to do with a law degree, and I told him what I wanted to do, both short run and long run (he didn't ask why I wanted to do that stuff, so I didn't tell him--that info was neatly set out in my personal statement and some interviewers hate when people answer questions that are not asked).

I'm not really that worried, and I certainly don't mean to suggest that people with longer JR1s talked too long (i.e. that they made a mistake). I subscribe to the theory that the JR1 is about not dropping the ball (with a possible exception for people with borderline stats). Mostly what I wanted to do is report my experience so that people didn't think "My JR1 lasted a few mins, these ppl reported 10-15 mins, FML."

All that said, I wouldn't mind knowing how people managed to answer JR's questions over the course of 10+ mins without repeating themselves, resorting to saying cliches like "I want to work with (insert awesome faculty member)", or otherwise inserting their foot into their mouth. Feel free to PM if you are more comfortable with that.

My JR1 lasted about 8 minutes. I think it just comes down to how succinct you manage to be while answering the standard questions (Why law school? Why Harvard?). I was a bit worried that I had talked too much but I'm guessing that more important than call length is whether or not your answers were coherent rather than nervous rambling (though I probably had a bit of a latter thrown into the mix).

Superiordesign

Postby Superiordesign » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:32 am

Hey guys, I had my JR1 yesterday afternoon, but I just received the email that my application was complete and being forwarded to the admissions committee today and would take no longer than 2 mos to review. I'm confused. Is this normal? Is the interview info and the application forwarded to the adcom?

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:01 am

Superiordesign wrote:Hey guys, I had my JR1 yesterday afternoon, but I just received the email that my application was complete and being forwarded to the admissions committee today and would take no longer than 2 mos to review. I'm confused. Is this normal? Is the interview info and the application forwarded to the adcom?

Cue Nulli rant..

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”