Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jcn4

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby jcn4 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:59 pm

Are there stats for people last year who got a JR1 after a hold (or just after being UR for more than a month or so)? It seems like it was pretty rare and there's not much to go on.

misspoopers

Postby misspoopers » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:01 am

jcn4 wrote:Are there stats for people last year who got a JR1 after a hold (or just after being UR for more than a month or so)? It seems like it was pretty rare and there's not much to go on.

i think there were a few people in this thread that were on hold for a while that got JR1s recently. I'm not sure about last year though.

shoop

Postby shoop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:14 am

bistduverrueckt wrote:
Knock wrote:
tristanlxboyd wrote:I did not hear anything today and had my JR1 on February 11th, if that makes you feel better.

178/3.85

Yeah, it seems like the only people who heard back today were early February JR1's.

That means a LOT of hope for those JR1 people from the 11th, 14th, and 17th for next week :)

The rest of the 2/2 JR1--->? crowd can join me in this corner. Plenty of room for crying folks.

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:24 am

shoop wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote:
Knock wrote:
tristanlxboyd wrote:I did not hear anything today and had my JR1 on February 11th, if that makes you feel better.

178/3.85

Yeah, it seems like the only people who heard back today were early February JR1's.

That means a LOT of hope for those JR1 people from the 11th, 14th, and 17th for next week :)

The rest of the 2/2 JR1--->? crowd can join me in this corner. Plenty of room for crying folks.

That corner is for JR1s to cry over no JR2s. This corner is for no-JR1s to drink ourselves into a stupor.

jcn4

Postby jcn4 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:26 am

misspoopers wrote:
jcn4 wrote:Are there stats for people last year who got a JR1 after a hold (or just after being UR for more than a month or so)? It seems like it was pretty rare and there's not much to go on.

i think there were a few people in this thread that were on hold for a while that got JR1s recently. I'm not sure about last year though.

I'm actually wondering if the hold (or long UR) -> JR1 people have the same chance at a JR2 as the general population of JR1s (70-85%).

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:30 am

jcn4 wrote: I'm actually wondering if the hold (or long UR) -> JR1 people have the same chance at a JR2 as the general population of JR1s (70-85%).

My logic (which is very biased because I'm one of these people and want to get in) is that we probably either have the same chances or maybeeee slightly better. I mean why give us a JR1 now unless JR was seriously considering finally admitting us??
Absurd optimism? Yeah probably... lol

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:32 am

eaa1537 wrote:
jcn4 wrote: I'm actually wondering if the hold (or long UR) -> JR1 people have the same chance at a JR2 as the general population of JR1s (70-85%).

My logic (which is very biased because I'm one of these people and want to get in) is that we probably either have the same chances or maybeeee slightly better. I mean why give us a JR1 now unless JR was seriously considering finally admitting us??

Well, the general population of JR1s that get JR2s is 75%, but that includes people who were held -> JR1 -> JR2.

If I had to guess though, i'd say it's probably similar. I can't think of a worse fate than held -> JR1 -> waitlist though haha. Talk about a roller coaster ride.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:35 am

Knock wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:

Well, the general population of JR1s that get JR2s is 75%, but that includes people who were held -> JR1 -> JR2.

If I had to guess though, i'd say it's probably similar. I can't think of a worse fate than held -> JR1 -> waitlist though haha. Talk about a roller coaster ride.

Worst fate is no JR1 for someone with hls stats. You can argue all you like, but in the end at least you had a sniff.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:37 am

Knock wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:

+1 ughhh i have a sickening feeling that that will happen to me. :(

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:38 am

Knock wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:

I think I would cry... that would be the worst tease :(

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:40 am

My JR1 was the week of Feb 7th. Nothing but crickets since then.

chiedisevuoi

Postby chiedisevuoi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:46 am

A question for y'all: I had a late January JR1 that was, let's say, not a train wreck... but at least a fender bender...

and, surprise, surprise, i haven't heard back yet (except the uber-significant complete email the day afterwards...). So I'm wondering what I can do to increase my chances:

1) I figure it's too soon to send a LOCI--I need to wait to be held or WLed (but am I wrong about this?)...

2) I have a prof whose recommendation might really help me, if JR/the committee read it. He says he's happy to write for me if I get waitlisted, but he is convinced that writing a letter now won't make a difference unless they do tell me I've been WLed. I presume it is too soon to have him do this, correct? If this is so, will it be appropriate if I am held, or only if I am waitlisted?

3) Other ideas?

Or should I just call Harvard and ask if they want an extra LOR? I feel like I need to do something-- clearly they were (are??) interested!

misspoopers

Postby misspoopers » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:49 am

chiedisevuoi wrote:A question for y'all: I had a late January JR1 that was, let's say, not a train wreck... but at least a fender bender...

and, surprise, surprise, i haven't heard back yet (except the uber-significant complete email the day afterwards...). So I'm wondering what I can do to increase my chances:

1) I figure it's too soon to send a LOCI--I need to wait to be held or WLed (but am I wrong about this?)...

2) I have a prof whose recommendation might really help me, if JR/the committee read it. He says he's happy to write for me if I get waitlisted, but he is convinced that writing a letter now won't make a difference unless they do tell me I've been WLed. I presume it is too soon to have him do this, correct? If this is so, will it be appropriate if I am held, or only if I am waitlisted?

3) Other ideas?

Or should I just call Harvard and ask if they want an extra LOR? I feel like I need to do something-- clearly they were (are??) interested!

What happened during your JR1 to consider it a fender-bender, if you don't mind sharing? :(

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:02 am

chiedisevuoi wrote:A question for y'all: I had a late January JR1 that was, let's say, not a train wreck... but at least a fender bender...

3) Other ideas?

Would also like to know the fender bender if you don't mind pleaseeee.

But I'd wait until you get held or wait listed (assuming you weren't already held). I don't think sending anything in until then will really make a difference because chances are they probably already decided what pile to put you in. But to be fair, I sent a LOCI before being held and ended up being held the day they received my letter, so maybe sending them an update will remind them that you exist... who really knows? Lol Also I'm pretty sure the complete email is not important at all...

shoop

Postby shoop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:00 am

misterbingley wrote:
shoop wrote:

That corner is for JR1s to cry over no JR2s. This corner is for no-JR1s to drink ourselves into a stupor.

Our corners should host a mixer. Misery loves company.

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:08 am

shoop wrote:
misterbingley wrote:
shoop wrote:

Let's do it. Shall we meet...in the middle of the room?

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:40 am

misterbingley wrote:
shoop wrote:
misterbingley wrote:
shoop wrote:

Let's do it. Shall we meet...in the middle of the room?

I propose a corner in between our two corners. The middle is just........ just so... open.

miamiman09

Postby miamiman09 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:30 am

Hey all. I've been lurking for about a week and finally felt compelled to jump in.

LSAT/UGPA: 176/3.79
Applied: 12/3
Complete: 12/22
JR1: 2/16

I'm so anxious that I haven't been able to sleep well since JR1!

misspoopers

Postby misspoopers » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:49 am

miamiman09 wrote:Hey all. I've been lurking for about a week and finally felt compelled to jump in.

hopefully we can all get some sleep this week, whether it's good or bad news! I just want to know one way or another :(

miamiman09

Postby miamiman09 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:16 pm

misspoopers wrote:
miamiman09 wrote:Hey all. I've been lurking for about a week and finally felt compelled to jump in.

hopefully we can all get some sleep this week, whether it's good or bad news! I just want to know one way or another :(

I didn't really dig into TLS or LSN until I started freaking out after my JR1. I know there is a strong consensus that JR2s are restricted to Mondays (though President's Day has us all hoping for an exception this week). However, from LSN it seems that rejection notices come out almost exclusively on Fridays. Is this accurate? Does there appear to be a designated day that people receive hold notices? Are rejection and hold notices sent out by email?

I really need to stop sitting here refreshing this page...

tristanlxboyd

Postby tristanlxboyd » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:29 pm

FWIW, last year LSN shows only one acceptance on Presidents Day (2/15/10), and none for the following Tuesday. I wouldn't put too much stock in hearing today :) .

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:38 pm

Trying to figure out if I should bother sending in a letter to update my resume, or form it into a LOCI, or nothing.
I've been UR since 1/24, no JR1.
I realize thats not too long ago. However, since my app I have finished UG and been nominated for a few academic awards.
More significantly, a career accomplishment 3 years in the making (M&A related) has just come to fruition this past week. In my industry its pretty substantial, if I were staying in the business field it would be a huge feather in my cap going forward.
Should I bother, and if I do, will it even be read?!

miamiman09

Postby miamiman09 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:43 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Trying to figure out if I should bother sending in a letter to update my resume, or form it into a LOCI, or nothing.
I've been UR since 1/24, no JR1.
I realize thats not too long ago. However, since my app I have finished UG and been nominated for a few academic awards.
More significantly, a career accomplishment 3 years in the making (M&A related) has just come to fruition this past week. In my industry its pretty substantial, if I were staying in the business field it would be a huge feather in my cap going forward.
Should I bother, and if I do, will it even be read?!

I'd say with significant changes (finishing UG, new academic rewards, etc.) you can definitely send an updated resume. I know many of the schools to which I applied specifically requested updated resumes should there be any changes of that nature. Regardless, I don't think sending an updated resume can hurt in any way.

I had about 2 months between UR and JR1, so don't lose hope!

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Why are H admits shy? The total number of people in Class of 2014 Facebook groups (over 2 groups) is 48 and I guess at least 650 or so people are accepted by now.

EDIT: By comparison Yale 2014 group has 100+ out of a much smaller class size.

shoop

Postby shoop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:47 pm

I get through the day by telling myself that HLS has already decided to admit me in spite of the 170, but is making me wait longer than usual between JR1 and JR2 so that I don't get cocky and start thinking that I can keep underperforming on major measures of ability and still get everything I want in life. They're looking out for me, really. It's for my own good.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”