Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby ahduth » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:
glitched wrote:The forgotten are people who got the complete email a long time ago but don't have any update whatsoever...


I go back and forth between envisioning us as "the forgotten," and us actually being some pile that JR has set aside as people he wants to mess with particularly thoroughly. I'm approaching a couple months of radio silence here, and I'm an auto-ding anyways, so... yeah. I'm okay with it though - resigned to my fate.


You are not auto-ding. I'd rather be in the "forgotten" files than the hold files I think. I take it to mean you are still in active contention while the rest are deferred.


lol, You didn't read my app file philly. I think JR keeps the forgotten pile around, and periodically picks through it, picks one out. He thinks to himself, "where do these weirdos come from? Why do they send me these applications? Why did I take this job again?"

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:25 pm

ahduth wrote:
lol, You didn't read my app file philly. I think JR keeps the forgotten pile around, and periodically picks through it, picks one out. He thinks to himself, "where do these weirdos come from? Why do they send me these applications? Why did I take this job again?"


And you didn't read mine :lol: No one, including myself would even imagine the thought that I would be applying to law school 2 years ago. As a matter of fact, I went back to college and started down this road partially because my wife laughed at me when I say I could be a lawyer.

Boogaloo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Boogaloo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Hey guys! I just thought I'd post this because I think this is pretty funny. I mean, I'm chuckling anyway:

Just sent in a serious Hail-Mary application to good, old HLS (yes, my friends, on 01/29). I just couldn't let the cycle end and fold. So I sucked it up, and put some dolla dolla bills on the table. Both my LSAT and my GPA are below 25.

I'm not going to lie - I'm still pretty happy I did it. :mrgreen:

User avatar
LinzerTorte
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby LinzerTorte » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Checking in: Sent 12/3, UR 12/15, survived another friday with no news...

User avatar
TheGreatWait
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby TheGreatWait » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:45 pm

Sent end of Nov, UR since roughly 12/3, and I've heard nothing. I assume JR likes to read my application for a laugh when he's feeling sad.

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby champsound » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:31 pm

TheGreatWait wrote:Sent end of Nov, UR since roughly 12/3, and I've heard nothing. I assume JR likes to read my application for a laugh when he's feeling sad.


Love your avatar. Bob Loblaw law blog.

Anyways... the more I think about it the more I feel know I won't be getting a JR1.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby law_monkey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:37 pm

Boogaloo wrote:Hey guys! I just thought I'd post this because I think this is pretty funny. I mean, I'm chuckling anyway:

Just sent in a serious Hail-Mary application to good, old HLS (yes, my friends, on 01/29). I just couldn't let the cycle end and fold. So I sucked it up, and put some dolla dolla bills on the table. Both my LSAT and my GPA are below 25.

I'm not going to lie - I'm still pretty happy I did it. :mrgreen:


No worries. I think a lot of people actually do that. It's what I did. I personally felt that with Harvard it was something I at least had to try for.

Boogaloo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Boogaloo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:52 am

law_monkey wrote:
Boogaloo wrote:Hey guys! I just thought I'd post this because I think this is pretty funny. I mean, I'm chuckling anyway:

Just sent in a serious Hail-Mary application to good, old HLS (yes, my friends, on 01/29). I just couldn't let the cycle end and fold. So I sucked it up, and put some dolla dolla bills on the table. Both my LSAT and my GPA are below 25.

I'm not going to lie - I'm still pretty happy I did it. :mrgreen:


No worries. I think a lot of people actually do that. It's what I did. I personally felt that with Harvard it was something I at least had to try for.


Makes me feel even better about it. GL with your cycle - you've got some great schools already!

User avatar
slax
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby slax » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:11 pm

Boogaloo wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Boogaloo wrote:Hey guys! I just thought I'd post this because I think this is pretty funny. I mean, I'm chuckling anyway:

Just sent in a serious Hail-Mary application to good, old HLS (yes, my friends, on 01/29). I just couldn't let the cycle end and fold. So I sucked it up, and put some dolla dolla bills on the table. Both my LSAT and my GPA are below 25.

I'm not going to lie - I'm still pretty happy I did it. :mrgreen:


No worries. I think a lot of people actually do that. It's what I did. I personally felt that with Harvard it was something I at least had to try for.




Look up ladyjustice on lsn

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby law_monkey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:20 pm

slax wrote:
Boogaloo wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Boogaloo wrote:Hey guys! I just thought I'd post this because I think this is pretty funny. I mean, I'm chuckling anyway:

Just sent in a serious Hail-Mary application to good, old HLS (yes, my friends, on 01/29). I just couldn't let the cycle end and fold. So I sucked it up, and put some dolla dolla bills on the table. Both my LSAT and my GPA are below 25.

I'm not going to lie - I'm still pretty happy I did it. :mrgreen:


No worries. I think a lot of people actually do that. It's what I did. I personally felt that with Harvard it was something I at least had to try for.




Look up ladyjustice on lsn


OMG. I'm not a fan of the people who make fun of those with lower numbers, but even I will admit that her whole cycle deserves one giant facepalm. In that girl's case it was her whole approach to the process and not just a low score. Her argument about switching to part time because she would still graduate at the same time if she waited a year and retook should have convinced her to do the exact opposite. Anyway I didn't say everyone should apply to Harvard, just that a lot of people do even if their numbers are low. And in my case I would have been slashing my wrists right about now if I hadn't even tried. I can't speak for Boogaloo, but I'm not quite as far away from the Harvard standards as ladyjustice was. Although she did have a 4.0...still stumped on how she managed that one.

User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby whathojeeves » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:18 pm

law_monkey wrote:
slax wrote:
Look up ladyjustice on lsn


OMG. I'm not a fan of the people who make fun of those with lower numbers, but even I will admit that her whole cycle deserves one giant facepalm. In that girl's case it was her whole approach to the process and not just a low score. Her argument about switching to part time because she would still graduate at the same time if she waited a year and retook should have convinced her to do the exact opposite. Anyway I didn't say everyone should apply to Harvard, just that a lot of people do even if their numbers are low. And in my case I would have been slashing my wrists right about now if I hadn't even tried. I can't speak for Boogaloo, but I'm not quite as far away from the Harvard standards as ladyjustice was. Although she did have a 4.0...still stumped on how she managed that one.


Agreed. "No, I did not take any LSAT prep course, nor put forth much effort in answering the LSAT questions. Why? Because I think the alleged test is ridiculous. I have performed extensive research and found that the ACT, SAT, and LSAT are only about 25 percent accurate in determining a student's success in college or law school."

Priceless.

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby The Stig » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:25 pm

whathojeeves wrote:Agreed. "No, I did not take any LSAT prep course, nor put forth much effort in answering the LSAT questions. Why? Because I think the alleged test is ridiculous. I have performed extensive research and found that the ACT, SAT, and LSAT are only about 25 percent accurate in determining a student's success in college or law school."

Priceless.


Ha. I wonder if her research showed that it is worth a bit more than 25 percent in the admissions process???

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 pm

The Stig wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:Agreed. "No, I did not take any LSAT prep course, nor put forth much effort in answering the LSAT questions. Why? Because I think the alleged test is ridiculous. I have performed extensive research and found that the ACT, SAT, and LSAT are only about 25 percent accurate in determining a student's success in college or law school."

Priceless.


Ha. I wonder if her research showed that it is worth a bit more than 25 percent in the admissions process???


There is also the possibility that she couldn't have scored any higher so she is just making up excuse?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Knock » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
The Stig wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:Agreed. "No, I did not take any LSAT prep course, nor put forth much effort in answering the LSAT questions. Why? Because I think the alleged test is ridiculous. I have performed extensive research and found that the ACT, SAT, and LSAT are only about 25 percent accurate in determining a student's success in college or law school."

Priceless.


Ha. I wonder if her research showed that it is worth a bit more than 25 percent in the admissions process???


There is also the possibility that she couldn't have scored any higher so she is just making up excuse?


How can she get a 4.0 in undergrad but not be capable of scoring above a 141?

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby cardinals1989 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:38 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
The Stig wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:Agreed. "No, I did not take any LSAT prep course, nor put forth much effort in answering the LSAT questions. Why? Because I think the alleged test is ridiculous. I have performed extensive research and found that the ACT, SAT, and LSAT are only about 25 percent accurate in determining a student's success in college or law school."

Priceless.


Ha. I wonder if her research showed that it is worth a bit more than 25 percent in the admissions process???


There is also the possibility that she couldn't have scored any higher so she is just making up excuse?


How can she get a 4.0 in undergrad but not be capable of scoring above a 141?


Thinking she is entitled because of her GPA, so she doesn't have to study for the LSAT?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:38 pm

Knock wrote:
How can she get a 4.0 in undergrad but not be capable of scoring above a 141?


Depend on the UG, the major, and how bad she takes tests. Some bottom tier private colleges have very bad grade inflation. CJ and Ed majors from a bottom tier are very easy majors - pretty much if you follow directions and do all the work you can get a 4.0. I don't doubt her work ethics since she got the grade, but essentially those 2 majors don't teach/train you much in the way of logical and analytical abilities. I don't know much about CJ, but I was very heavily involved with educating UG/Grad Ed majors.

ETA I have a friend who has almost a 4.0 but will not score higher than a 150 (I helped her study).

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby law_monkey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:40 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
The Stig wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:Agreed. "No, I did not take any LSAT prep course, nor put forth much effort in answering the LSAT questions. Why? Because I think the alleged test is ridiculous. I have performed extensive research and found that the ACT, SAT, and LSAT are only about 25 percent accurate in determining a student's success in college or law school."

Priceless.


Ha. I wonder if her research showed that it is worth a bit more than 25 percent in the admissions process???


There is also the possibility that she couldn't have scored any higher so she is just making up excuse?


How can she get a 4.0 in undergrad but not be capable of scoring above a 141?


Well judging by her LSN comments her reasoning skills aren't exactly going to help her on the LSAT.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:41 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
Knock wrote:
How can she get a 4.0 in undergrad but not be capable of scoring above a 141?


Thinking she is entitled because of her GPA, so she doesn't have to study for the LSAT?


Are we, ummm, in the wrong thread?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:42 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Well judging by her LSN comments her reasoning skills aren't exactly going to help her on the LSAT.


Like I said above, those skills are not really needed to do well in her majors if she goes to one of the few colleges around here.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby law_monkey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Well judging by her LSN comments her reasoning skills aren't exactly going to help her on the LSAT.


Like I said above, those skills are not really needed to do well in her majors if she goes to one of the few colleges around here.


Yeah that's what I was saying. Who knows how much logic she needed for her major, but she was clearly rationalizing poorly when applying for law school. If that's any indication of her reasoning skills it's not a surprise that she got a 141.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 pm

Are you guys certain it's not a troll?

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:57 pm

CastleRock wrote:Are you guys certain it's not a troll?


IN THE DUNGEON??

(I forget who started that in one of the waiting threads, but now it's ALL I CAN THINK OF whenever anyone mentions a troll on here. <3)

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:11 am

dulcatis wrote:
CastleRock wrote:Are you guys certain it's not a troll?


IN THE DUNGEON??

(I forget who started that in one of the waiting threads, but now it's ALL I CAN THINK OF whenever anyone mentions a troll on here. <3)


It's a great reference to not forget!

User avatar
bleedblue
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby bleedblue » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:09 am

Anybody feeling a tremendously large batch of TLS JR1s today FTW? GG us.

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby juliachild-ish » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:28 am

bleedblue wrote:Anybody feeling a tremendously large batch of TLS JR1s today FTW? GG us.


I thought JR1s usually went out mid-week? I'm predicting a bunch of JR2s today...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, alex114, Assasindowntheavenue, Baidu [Spider], BrainsyK, chili_davis, curry1, genjustice, guybourdin, jtawil, laowhynot109, mccracal, NotAGolfer, pandaaa, Pugnax, Sawtooth and 37 guests