Page 10 of 194

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:38 pm
by r6_philly
tkgrrett wrote:
Interesting.. for some reason I assumed that JR was the only one who reviewed the apps for the JR1 stage and then they were sent to other ppl for review.. Makes sense that it isnt the case though.


If this is the same lady that visited my school, then she did mention that she reviews a pile by herself first. Maybe JR reviews the highly qualified ones and she reviews the ok ones, and the rest are thrown in the fireplace? :lol:

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:44 pm
by Deuce
CastleRock wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:I applied. Lulz.

Good luck.


Haha thanks, I'd need all the luck in the world combined to even have a 1% chance, but hey people still win the lottery these days so...

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:47 pm
by r6_philly
acrossthelake wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Interesting.. for some reason I assumed that JR was the only one who reviewed the apps for the JR1 stage and then they were sent to other ppl for review.. Makes sense that it isnt the case though.


If this is the same lady that visited my school, then she did mention that she reviews a pile by herself first. Maybe JR reviews the highly qualified ones and she reviews the ok ones, and the rest are thrown in the fireplace? :lol:


Well this is odd. I thought JR reviewed everything first, then sent it on to other people.


This is purely guessing: but I would prioritize by letting JR review all the auto-admit type numbers first, then let the rest of the staff review the borderline files, filter/screen them, then submit the better ones on to JR for review. There is no point to have JR review everything first. I think Yale does that, and their late late late decision date (and the lower volume) reflect that.

If this is true, then it would explain why last year borderline applicants got JR1's after they got the complete emails, a few more weeks longer than auto-admit number types.

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 pm
by DoubleChecks
from what I've heard, or rather what JR and a few adcomms seemed to say, was that usually someone looks at files first and then JR goes over them...and then he passes it on to other people to review.

but sometimes, if a file "catches his attention"...whatever that means, he may review it earlier (i.e. out of order) and give them a call

thats why complete emails have little positive correlation w/ JR1 email timings. some got it before, some got it after, some got it together.

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:54 pm
by thecilent
mydogteddy wrote:Encouraging news for those of us yet to receive JR1 invitations!!!!

The director of admissions visited my school today, and mentioned, as an aside, that due to her computer "crashing," she JUST began reviewing her pile of applications TODAY.

Here's hoping I'm in that pile!

Submitted 9/15
Under Review 10/6

Good luck everyone!

:shock: I have a little bit of hope left!

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:55 am
by 4102011
Went complete today. Ahhh!

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:10 am
by oxford_don
[]

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:49 am
by 4102011
oxford_don wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Went complete today. Ahhh!


When did you submit?


Received 10/12/10

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:52 am
by r6_philly
Any JR1 today? About that time.

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:09 pm
by abitaman6363
dulcatis wrote:
oxford_don wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Went complete today. Ahhh!


When did you submit?


Received 10/12/10


Went complete as well today. Submitted around the same time. Good luck to everybody!

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:41 pm
by playdough
r6_philly wrote:Any JR1 today? About that time.


Just repeating your question r6_philly. Any JR1s yet?

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:43 pm
by zworykin
Hmm. I got my "application complete" email today, though I was complete according to the status checker back on the 19th.

Wish you all would stop talking about the possibility of JR1s going out today. I'm checking my email compulsively enough without you adding that motivation! :lol:

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:04 pm
by sarcasticswede
I submitted last week on 10/19 been under review since yesterday according to the status checker...Good luck to everyone on getting that JR1 email today or tomorrow! I'm sure I'll kill my iphone battery refreshing my email as many times as I'm going to the next few days : /

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 pm
by WestOfTheRest
acrossthelake wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote:I submitted last week on 10/19 been under review since yesterday according to the status checker...Good luck to everyone on getting that JR1 email today or tomorrow! I'm sure I'll kill my iphone battery refreshing my email as many times as I'm going to the next few days : /


No need. The JR1 invites go out on Thurs & Fris, I think usually in the mornings, so no need to really check during any other time.

Latest person to get one so far was tkgrrett, he got it at like 2:00pm eastern. But for the most part it's been in the morning.

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:38 pm
by r6_philly
I got one in my dreams, does that count? Around 3:57 am. The interview will take place tonight I believe.

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:43 pm
by WestOfTheRest
r6_philly wrote:I got one in my dreams, does that count? Around 3:57 am. The interview will take place tonight I believe.

Nope, I'm sorry, it doesn't count unles you plan on sleeping the rest of your life.

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:49 pm
by r6_philly
CastleRock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I got one in my dreams, does that count? Around 3:57 am. The interview will take place tonight I believe.

Nope, I'm sorry, it doesn't count unles you plan on sleeping the rest of your life.


What's the difference between that and death?

But I hope to wake up to a real one tomorrow though.

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:52 pm
by WestOfTheRest
r6_philly wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I got one in my dreams, does that count? Around 3:57 am. The interview will take place tonight I believe.

Nope, I'm sorry, it doesn't count unles you plan on sleeping the rest of your life.


What's the difference between that and death?


It's like being in the matrix while leonardo dicaprio tries to incept you.

But I hope to wake up to a real one tomorrow though.

+1

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:29 pm
by mydogteddy
Let's all cross our fingers, toes, eyes, etc for a large (and TLS-member inclusive) batch of JR1 emails tomorrow. I feel like it's about time for that to happen.

Who knows, maybe the power of our collective wishful thinking will be enough to make it a reality...

Good luck everyone!!!

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:31 pm
by WestOfTheRest
mydogteddy wrote:Let's all cross our fingers, toes, eyes, etc for a large (and TLS-member inclusive) batch of JR1 emails tomorrow. I feel like it's about time for that to happen.

Who knows, maybe the power of our collective wishful thinking will be enough to make it a reality...

Good luck everyone!!!

I'm sick of people posting in this thread. Every time it has a new post I get anxious that someone is coming to report that they got a JR1 today.

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:31 pm
by rundoxierun
CastleRock wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote:I submitted last week on 10/19 been under review since yesterday according to the status checker...Good luck to everyone on getting that JR1 email today or tomorrow! I'm sure I'll kill my iphone battery refreshing my email as many times as I'm going to the next few days : /


No need. The JR1 invites go out on Thurs & Fris, I think usually in the mornings, so no need to really check during any other time.

Latest person to get one so far was tkgrrett, he got it at like 2:00pm eastern. But for the most part it's been in the morning.


hmm.. didnt realize I was abnormal in timing. IIRC, someone else got their JR1 around the same time as me.

Sidenote: Just looked at the COA of Duke while filling out scholarship app. Made me lol and simultaneously start somewhat seriously considering finishing up pre-med track next semester.

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:05 pm
by mydogteddy
[/quote]
I'm sick of people posting in this thread. Every time it has a new post I get anxious that someone is coming to report that they got a JR1 today.[/quote]

Sounds like you should take a TLS hiatus... or maybe some valium

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:24 pm
by invisiblesun
mydogteddy wrote:
Sounds like you should take a TLS hiatus... or maybe some valium


As someone who spent way too much time worrying about apps after they were sent in- I recommend remedying this through time-consuming fun activities that take your mind off apps as much as possible. Case in point- my friend started to burn Js every day after submitting apps. He started at a T10 this year and has been refreshed and motivated. I, on the other hand, busted my ass in my senior classes (fearing that it would come down to a WL decision and that my grades might make a difference.) Now I'm taking a year off and wondering how prepared I'll be.

Not advocating drug use, but law school applicants in general really need to find ways to chill- none of that stress is at all productive or beneficial.

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 pm
by thecilent
invisiblesun wrote:
mydogteddy wrote:
Sounds like you should take a TLS hiatus... or maybe some valium


As someone who spent way too much time worrying about apps after they were sent in- I recommend remedying this through time-consuming fun activities that take your mind off apps as much as possible. Case in point- my friend started to burn Js every day after submitting apps. He started at a T10 this year and has been refreshed and motivated. I, on the other hand, busted my ass in my senior classes (fearing that it would come down to a WL decision and that my grades might make a difference.) Now I'm taking a year off and wondering how prepared I'll be.

Not advocating drug use, but law school applicants in general really need to find ways to chill- none of that stress is at all productive or beneficial.


lol This is a weird comment

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 pm
by r6_philly
Now I don't know if he was serious or not. This process is fun for me this year.