Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eaa1537

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby eaa1537 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:21 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:Just got the email for my JR1--it's next week. I'm pretty impressed at how fast things are moving. I submitted on 1/7 and went UR 1/19. Of course I know that my good luck will now run out and it will take three months after my JR1 for me to hear a final decision...

I have a 3.8x/174 (retake) in case anyone's interested.

congratssss... but no fairrr- we have basically identical stats anddd my LSAT is also a retake. Why no love for me Harvard :(

Weirdlog

Postby Weirdlog » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:37 pm

eaa1537 wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:Just got the email for my JR1--it's next week. I'm pretty impressed at how fast things are moving. I submitted on 1/7 and went UR 1/19. Of course I know that my good luck will now run out and it will take three months after my JR1 for me to hear a final decision...

I have a 3.8x/174 (retake) in case anyone's interested.

congratssss... but no fairrr- we have basically identical stats anddd my LSAT is also a retake. Why no love for me Harvard :(

Dammit, thinking the same thing. This is getting tougher and tougher to swallow.

(That's what she said.)

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:47 pm

LSN is really depressing...apart from 123kl earlier this cycle, only URMs have gotten in with an LSAT at/below mine. LONG SIGH

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:49 pm

Can someone from US call HLS Admissions and ask them nicely if they really started sending out another batch of JR1 e-mails or we are getting trolled?

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:51 pm

Update, for those of you doing LOCIs --

I fedexed mine to Harvard with a sealed/signed across the flap LOR. It arrived in Cambridge and turned up on my status check on the same day, so they clearly process the LOCI/LOR pretty quickly. Now if only they would send out JR1s as fast....
Last edited by whathojeeves on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whytheface

Postby whytheface » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Has anyone who submitted a LOCI and included a stamped postcard received their postcard yet?

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:18 pm

whytheface wrote:Has anyone who submitted a LOCI and included a stamped postcard received their postcard yet?

I did, it had "LOL" written on the back. :( :( :(

(kiddin)

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:19 pm

whathojeeves wrote:Update, for those of you doing LOCIs --

I fedexed mine to Harvard with a sealed/signed across the flap LOR. It arrived in Cambridge and turned up on my status check on the same day, so they clearly process the LOCI/LOR pretty quickly. Now if only they would send out JR1s as fast....

I'm VERY tempted at this point to just mail my LOR directly to them. Can I ask if you had exceeded your rec limit on LSAC? And did you include the LSAC rec form?

Also, I have not received the postcard I included in my LOCI to HLS last week.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Confused7 wrote:

I'm VERY tempted at this point to just mail my LOR directly to them. Can I ask if you had exceeded your rec limit on LSAC? And did you include the LSAC rec form?

Also, I have not received the postcard I included in my LOCI to HLS last week.

Yes, had maxed it out. I didn't send my recommender the LSAC form for this, though he had been given a copy previously, so have no idea if he included that one (I doubt it though).

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:24 pm

nullisecundus wrote:
whytheface wrote:Has anyone who submitted a LOCI and included a stamped postcard received their postcard yet?

I did, it had "LOL" written on the back. :( :( :(

(kiddin)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As far as the confirmation goes, I just fedexed it and had a required direct signature. So I am just assuming it made it to the right place.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:34 pm

ARe you saying that the LOCI showed up on your status checker?

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:35 pm

CastleRock wrote:

I sent a sealed LOR with my LOCI -- the LOR is showing up now under the "Recommendations" section, which leads me to believe they have processed both it and the LOCI.

Edited for typing too fast.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:36 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

I sent a sealed LOR with my LOCI -- the LOR is showing up now under the "Recommendations" section, which leads me to believe they have processed both it and the LOCI.

Edited for typing too fast.

Thank you. Makes sense.

playdough

Postby playdough » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 pm

What is an LOCI?

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:51 pm

playdough wrote:What is an LOCI?

Letter of Continued Interest

LHC

Postby LHC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:02 pm

Wondering if anyone else here got the encourage-you-to-apply-to-Harvard-but-of-course-no-fee-waiver email last week. The best line was this: "Every year, we end up admitting students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard."

Looking at the stats on LSN, I feel like they're just playing with your head. Looking at Harvard's 25-75 ranges I'm a major splitter (175 LSAT, 3.6 GPA). I keep on toying with the idea of applying but honestly don't know if it's worth the effort/money.

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:07 pm

LHC wrote:Wondering if anyone else here got the encourage-you-to-apply-to-Harvard-but-of-course-no-fee-waiver email last week. The best line was this: "Every year, we end up admitting students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard."

Looking at the stats on LSN, I feel like they're just playing with your head. Looking at Harvard's 25-75 ranges I'm a major splitter (175 LSAT, 3.6 GPA). I keep on toying with the idea of applying but honestly don't know if it's worth the effort/money.

Worst case scenario is you're out 100 bucks. But at least you don't have to deal with asking yourself "what if." To me, even if I get rejected, knowing the outcome is worth the money, but if it's not for you, then don't apply.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:36 pm

LHC wrote:Wondering if anyone else here got the encourage-you-to-apply-to-Harvard-but-of-course-no-fee-waiver email last week. The best line was this: "Every year, we end up admitting students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard."

I got the email. I am not applying, I'm a 167/3.82. Not URM. Maybe, just maybe, every year 5 people out of the 5,000 who thought they had no chance get in, but I'm thinking that's not a bet worth $100. And maybe, just maybe, Harvard really likes that $100 from thousands of people who have NO CHANCE.

hjag

Postby hjag » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:50 pm

sidhesadie wrote:

I got the email. I am not applying, I'm a 167/3.82. Not URM. Maybe, just maybe, every year 5 people out of the 5,000 who thought they had no chance get in, but I'm thinking that's not a bet worth $100. And maybe, just maybe, Harvard really likes that $100 from thousands of people who have NO CHANCE.

Not saying this about the people who get that email but...
+1

Law schools just want your money+help boosting their rankings.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:51 pm

I don't understand why I haven't got a jr1? :( my numeros are terrible. In fact everyone who is claiming to have got one recently has worse numbers than me. WHY JR? WHYYYYYYY!

hjag

Postby hjag » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:04 am

CastleRock wrote:I don't understand why I haven't got a jr1? :( my numeros are terrible. In fact everyone who is claiming to have got one recently has worse numbers than me. WHY JR? WHYYYYYYY!

FWIW, I've seen so many applicants with lower #s getting into schools before those with much higher #s. Maybe I'm not understanding the admissions process correctly, but perhaps the committee members reviewing your app are just taking longer than is usual.

Harvard really seems to be very #s oriented, so if your stats really are so high, you will probably get in! Cheer up!

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:15 am

hjag wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I don't understand why I haven't got a jr1? :( my numeros are terrible. In fact everyone who is claiming to have got one recently has worse numbers than me. WHY JR? WHYYYYYYY!

FWIW, I've seen so many applicants with lower #s getting into schools before those with much higher #s. Maybe I'm not understanding the admissions process correctly, but perhaps the committee members reviewing your app are just taking longer than is usual.

Harvard really seems to be very #s oriented, so if your stats really are so high, you will probably get in! Cheer up!

It's just stressful being here since september. ugh.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:37 am

One and a half hour to another day of the below progression:

Anxiety

Hope

Doubt

Fear

Frustration

Realization: its weekend now

And finally,

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:43 am

I would do it. I am not going to get in off my "hold" but at least I am not kicking myself like I am about not applying to Stanford and Columbia.

playdough

Postby playdough » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:32 pm

I got the hold email a little while ago.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”