Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lakerfanimal

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Held too (slightly above both 25ths, non-URM)

Admissions is so weird.. I'm not hearing back from places I thought I might, and then not getting rejected quickly from Harvard, which I expected :?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:42 pm

ilovemulch wrote:HOLY MOLY, held as well! I am in complete shock - I'm definitely an auto-ding with my #s alone (~ @ both 25ths and non-URM). Think it could possibly be legacy status? I'd be interested in knowing stats on likelihood of getting in afte rbeing held - is this basically a straight path to the WL/Ding?

They could just straight ding/WL us now... They dinged enough people in the last week.

saito816

Postby saito816 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:45 pm

I got held as well, so is this better than being waitlisted or not really?

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ilovemulch wrote:HOLY MOLY, held as well! I am in complete shock - I'm definitely an auto-ding with my #s alone (~ @ both 25ths and non-URM). Think it could possibly be legacy status? I'd be interested in knowing stats on likelihood of getting in afte rbeing held - is this basically a straight path to the WL/Ding?

They could just straight ding/WL us now... They dinged enough people in the last week.

True, although they haven't begun WL yet, have they? I've only seen Dings...so that's why I thought maybe this means a likely WL? I'm sure some will get in from being held but probably more likely the ones who already had JR1s. I already sent in 2 academic LORs and 1 professional so I don't think I'll send another LOR. Really wish I could win a nobel peace prize in the next couple of months!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:57 pm

ilovemulch wrote:True, although they haven't begun WL yet, have they? I've only seen Dings...so that's why I thought maybe this means a likely WL? I'm sure some will get in from being held but probably more likely the ones who already had JR1s. I already sent in 2 academic LORs and 1 professional so I don't think I'll send another LOR. Really wish I could win a nobel peace prize in the next couple of months!

This is pure speculations: if you had JR1, then you must have the numerical qualities they are looking for. For whatever reason if you are held after JR1 there must be some reservations/weaknesses about your file that you must address before getting in. On the other hand, if you are complete in Oct but now held without a JR1, the opposite may be true: you may have the necessary qualities but lack numerical quality (I'd like to think that's my case). So I don't really know if one have advantage over the other other than we are not strong enough to be admitted at this time. We all have a gap that we need to bridge. We are really all non-autoadmit -> reconsideration, they may be a bit more holistic which may benefit us with no JR1's.

Just random guessing and self-assurance, don't take it even for resemblance of truth.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ilovemulch wrote:True, although they haven't begun WL yet, have they? I've only seen Dings...so that's why I thought maybe this means a likely WL? I'm sure some will get in from being held but probably more likely the ones who already had JR1s. I already sent in 2 academic LORs and 1 professional so I don't think I'll send another LOR. Really wish I could win a nobel peace prize in the next couple of months!

This is pure speculations: if you had JR1, then you must have the numerical qualities they are looking for. For whatever reason if you are held after JR1 there must be some reservations/weaknesses about your file that you must address before getting in. On the other hand, if you are complete in Oct but now held without a JR1, the opposite may be true: you may have the necessary qualities but lack numerical quality (I'd like to think that's my case). So I don't really know if one have advantage over the other other than we are not strong enough to be admitted at this time. We all have a gap that we need to bridge. We are really all non-autoadmit -> reconsideration, they may be a bit more holistic which may benefit us with no JR1's.

Just random guessing and self-assurance, don't take it even for resemblance of truth.

R6, you're awesome haha. I never thought my softs were that great, but maybe they're not so bad after all :lol:

bringbackfirefly

Postby bringbackfirefly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:59 pm

ilovemulch wrote:Really wish I could win a nobel peace prize in the next couple of months!

Tough to do with the Nobel Prize schedule...
but you could just cure cancer. (Which will probably win you the prize eventually.)

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Just random guessing and self-assurance, don't take it even for resemblance of truth.[/quote

I like your speculation R6 (was kind of hoping someone would post something reassuring like you did haha)! I wonder how many people get held...ahhh this suspense is killing me!

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Truth. Additionally, if there were no chance of admittance (or at least a WL/WL --> admit) at this point, they would have rejected our asses already. Otherwise, why keep all of those files around to clutter up your office?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:09 pm

They just pulled my LSAC transcript update after I got the Hold email. Good coincidence? I am updating my file already :lol:

HLA

Postby HLA » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:11 pm

lawpuppy wrote:A great deal of holds in the last few days. Has anyone received a JR2 in this period? And has anyone who received a JR1 been held in the newest batch?

Yeah, I had a JR1 and was held today. I was expected as the interview was...interesting.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:12 pm

jd2014! wrote:Truth. Additionally, if there were no chance of admittance (or at least a WL/WL --> admit) at this point, they would have rejected our asses already. Otherwise, why keep all of those files around to clutter up your office?

This is specially true since I was straight rejected last cycle. If they didn't like my new application a little bit more they'd just reject me again since I didn't retake.

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:14 pm

jd2014! wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Truth. Additionally, if there were no chance of admittance (or at least a WL/WL --> admit) at this point, they would have rejected our asses already. Otherwise, why keep all of those files around to clutter up your office?

True..I guess in my case I was thinking they might be trying to be nice given my legacy status even though they have no intention to ever let me in. (although parent DEFINITELY does not have his name on a bldg AT ALL!)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:15 pm

ilovemulch wrote:True..I guess in my case I was thinking they might be trying to be nice given my legacy status even though they have no intention to ever let me in. (although parent DEFINITELY does not have his name on a bldg AT ALL!)

There is still time! Donate a bench or something... :mrgreen: (I will do that if I don't get rich enough to name a wing :lol: )

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Has anyone stalked the past HLS thread yet and figured out if a hold means a good or bad thing?? Like, have people gotten accepted after getting held?
Maybe I should go do that.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:20 pm

I guess at this point Harvard doesn't even know what the hell to do with me. Maybe they just tossed my file to the side of the room and hoped I would forget about it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:22 pm

kazu wrote:Has anyone stalked the past HLS thread yet and figured out if a hold means a good or bad thing?? Like, have people gotten accepted after getting held?

If you could, I can't do it until after work.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:22 pm

So it looks like no one with a November UR date got a hold email yet.

UR 11/3 here...maybe after lunch.

And cardinal - hold strong my twin!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:23 pm

All who have been held: did everyone's status checker update?

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
kazu wrote:Has anyone stalked the past HLS thread yet and figured out if a hold means a good or bad thing?? Like, have people gotten accepted after getting held?

If you could, I can't do it until after work.

I don't think I'll be able to do it until tonight either.... :|

Also, my status checker did update. Pretty sure it hadn't done that yesterday.
Last edited by kazu on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:All who have been held: did everyone's status checker update?

Kind of? UR 1/10 now instead of 10/something.

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:27 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:I guess at this point Harvard doesn't even know what the hell to do with me. Maybe they just tossed my file to the side of the room and hoped I would forget about it.

haha, this.

Edit: last UR date was 10/13, now 1/10

funkytown

Postby funkytown » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:32 pm

What's the difference between getting held and just not getting a response?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:34 pm

funkytown wrote:What's the difference between getting held and just not getting a response?

They haven't gotten to you yet? I think the holds/dings will continue for a while. I guess since Dec. score is out, they are holding all the leftovers from earlier to compare to the new apps soon to come in.

fishdude

Postby fishdude » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:34 pm

And my first acceptance to law school is ..... Harvard!! Just got the call.
JR1 was 12/22.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”