Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
smscat

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby smscat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:29 pm

I looked in the abbreviations thread, but I can't find out what JR1 means. Sorry for the annoying question, but could someone please explain?

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:32 pm

smscat wrote:I looked in the abbreviations thread, but I can't find out what JR1 means. Sorry for the annoying question, but could someone please explain?

JR1 is the first phone interview with Josh Rubenstein, an admissions director at Harvard. It is required for admission. You will receive an email to let you know that it has been scheduled. JR2 is the acceptance phone call.

Also, make sure to check the first post of this thread, as it has pretty much all the info you could want.

smscat

Postby smscat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:48 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
smscat wrote:I looked in the abbreviations thread, but I can't find out what JR1 means. Sorry for the annoying question, but could someone please explain?

JR1 is the first phone interview with Josh Rubenstein, an admissions director at Harvard. It is required for admission. You will receive an email to let you know that it has been scheduled. JR2 is the acceptance phone call.

Also, make sure to check the first post of this thread, as it has pretty much all the info you could want.

Thank you! So if I haven't gotten one, that's bad at this point, right? Harvard is a reach for me so I'm not at all surprised.

slax

Postby slax » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:04 pm

hotshot234512 wrote:could someone please link last year's thread. I'm in the high numbers long time under review club and want to scour that thread for pieces of hope. I know of plenty of cases of low numbers getting JR1s after long periods of UR, but that seems natural e.g. they like an applicant, but want to make sure they can justify admitting them within the context of the applicant pool. I feel like with high numbers people if they are hesitating it means they don't like us :( because they could justify taking us from a numerical standpoint, but something else must be holding them back. I know there are a few of us, SLAX for one (how are you doing btw?)

Hello new friend. Yeah, I've kinda just been lurking. Waiting to hear if any JR1's go out. I'm not hopeless because there are still many months ahead in the cycle, and I know I had a solid app. It's not as though I would be crushed by a ding, but it is frustrating knowing that I am qualified but not worthy. Especially when numbers twins and others with lower numbers have been admitted. I assumed Harvard was more numbers based, but I was wrong.

Calla Lily

Postby Calla Lily » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:19 pm

hotshot234512 wrote:could someone please link last year's thread.

The links are in the OP, along with some data from LSN.

playdough wrote:Does anyone know from previous cycles if early apps (Sep) can get held in January too? Or it is only people who applied later that get held? It seems like if you applied early, they have had enough time to think about you, no?

I think while looking through LSN I did see a few cases of people with early submission dates that got held prior to getting final decisions. I definitely know there were a few that had early JR1s and then got held, but I think there may also have been some without JR1s that also got held.

jap

Postby jap » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Does anyone know how many people get into HLS straight off with no JR1? Is this even possible or to get in do you pretty much have to have a JR1 first?

Also, I got the complete email after being UR for about a week, as well...glad to see I am not the only one who panicked.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:21 pm

jap wrote:Does anyone know how many people get into HLS straight off with no JR1? Is this even possible or to get in do you pretty much have to have a JR1 first?

Also, I got the complete email after being UR for about a week, as well...glad to see I am not the only one who panicked.

You have to have a JR1 in order to be accepted. Not sure how the waitlist works though.

gerbal

Postby gerbal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:57 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
leeronalda wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Spykuh wrote:
hahah this was the first thing i saw when i got up this morning and panicked, glad to see that it's already been answered.

Yup, when I saw the email my heart skipped a couple beats. Not as bad as two days ago with another school I've applied to: after being complete with them and in review for weeks, I received a package in the mail . . . open it up and it is a view book and invitation to apply :evil: .

Oh well, I'm sure dealing with thousands of applications can cause processes to get a little haywire.

That is so funny doode lolll really unfortunate but still funny. I'm in the same boat for the UR then complete email. I'm subpar numbers so maybe they are officially starting to look at us?

Interesting thought. Could be right.

I think if you were under review, they are probably looking over your file already. It makes sense since you have to be complete in order to be under review. Also, since the complete email seems to get sent out in batches, it probably doesn't mean much. I was under-review for awhile and had a JR1 but just got the complete email today.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:01 pm

When was the last JR1 sent out. Maybe I haven't been following closely, but it feels like it has been a REALLY long time.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:05 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:When was the last JR1 sent out. Maybe I haven't been following closely, but it feels like it has been a REALLY long time.

If last year is a good indication, there should be a round tomorrow.

I got my JR1 email on 12/19 last year with the interview scheduled for 12/23.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:09 pm

GeePee wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:When was the last JR1 sent out. Maybe I haven't been following closely, but it feels like it has been a REALLY long time.

When does Harvard's admissions office close for the break? I am guess I am just working off the assumption that most of them are closed next week.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:21 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
GeePee wrote:

When does Harvard's admissions office close for the break? I am guess I am just working off the assumption that most of them are closed next week.

You should know better than to expect any JR1's this early!

Good luck nonetheless though

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
GeePee wrote:

You should know better than to expect any JR1's this early!

Good luck nonetheless though

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Hahahaha, jkjk. Although I do not expect a JR1, it is always nice to know when they ABSOLUTELY cannot come.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:53 pm

hi everyone,
I've been lurking in this thread from the beginning but haven't posted yet. wanted to share that I just got my JR1 email and ask people who have already had theirs--was the hour time frame relatively accurate?

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:56 pm

ebeth wrote:hi everyone,
I've been lurking in this thread from the beginning but haven't posted yet. wanted to share that I just got my JR1 email and ask people who have already had theirs--was the hour time frame relatively accurate?

CONGRATS! When did you submit?

JeNeRegretteRien

Postby JeNeRegretteRien » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:59 pm

Congrats!

In my case, yes. JR called right after the beginning of the window.

Weirdlog

Postby Weirdlog » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Congrats!

Well, another round of JR1 emails, another round of disappointment.

Looks like it's time for another round of drinks!

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:08 pm

Weirdlog wrote:

Congrats!

+219734097204

123kl

Postby 123kl » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:14 pm

My call was in the middle of the time frame

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Weirdlog wrote:

Congrats!

Nothing here either. Sigh*

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:11 pm

daisyduke--submitted 12/1

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:16 pm

Argh, why can't HLS just reject me now? It's been 4 weeks since my UR to date...

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Confused7 wrote:Argh, why can't HLS just reject me now? It's been 4 weeks since my UR to date...

Patience man. Patience. I have a youtube link if you need motivation.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:26 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Argh, why can't HLS just reject me now? It's been 4 weeks since my UR to date...

Haha, I am a (wo)man, but much appreciated and will take the Youtube link to take my mind off this agony. :D

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:29 pm

Confused7 wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:

Haha, I am a (wo)man, but much appreciated and will take the Youtube link to take my mind off this agony. :D

I knew it was going to end up being a female LOL. I thought saying man was a little more ambiguous than dude, but I failed.

But all I have to say is NEVER forget to wear sunscreen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJew4fxHl1U

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”