Harvard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Weirdlog
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Weirdlog » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:48 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
Vuvuzela!!! wrote:For those of you who--like me--have not received a JR1, any idea when we'll hear if we've been held or rejected?


of course not
but when did you go UR... you may very well still be in line for a JR1


Yeah people get JR1s at different intervals.

I was looking at LSN and there are a good number people who didn't get JR1s until over a month after being UR. Then again, there are some people who get them within 2 days of being UR.

Don't give up hope--who knows when a JR1 could be coming your way?!

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby arism87 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Vuvuzela!!! wrote:For those of you who--like me--have not received a JR1, any idea when we'll hear if we've been held or rejected?


I'd also like to know this- debating retaking my LSAT in the event that I'm held. (I've been UR for a LONG time, before you suggest I might still get a JR1 lol)

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby eaa1537 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:02 pm

I've given up hope I've been UR since 11/9. I took the LSAT twice with a huge gap between the 2 and although my LSAT is now above median I'm not holding my breath... :(

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:25 pm

arism87 wrote:
Vuvuzela!!! wrote:For those of you who--like me--have not received a JR1, any idea when we'll hear if we've been held or rejected?


I'd also like to know this- debating retaking my LSAT in the event that I'm held. (I've been UR for a LONG time, before you suggest I might still get a JR1 lol)


Agree with you, I may take the Feb again.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Confused7 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:36 pm

eaa1537 wrote:I've given up hope I've been UR since 11/9. I took the LSAT twice with a huge gap between the 2 and although my LSAT is now above median I'm not holding my breath... :(


Do HYS really look less favorably on LSAT retakers? Looking at the people who have already gotten JR2, I'm beginning to think I have no chance unless I take it again...

User avatar
hiddenfist
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby hiddenfist » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:55 pm

UR since 11/6 = give up hope?

prt86a
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby prt86a » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:02 pm

I received an email inviting me to chat online with someone from admissions. Has anyone gotten this? Is this the same as the JR1?

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby starrydreamz3 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:08 pm

hiddenfist wrote:UR since 11/6 = give up hope?


I've been UR since 11/8. I already have.

I guess if we don't get a JR 1 by like the second or third week of December then we'll likely get a ding/hold in mid January.

Hopefully just in time for a pick-me-up from Columbia.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Confused7 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:22 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
hiddenfist wrote:UR since 11/6 = give up hope?


I've been UR since 11/8. I already have.

I guess if we don't get a JR 1 by like the second or third week of December then we'll likely get a ding/hold in mid January.

Hopefully just in time for a pick-me-up from Columbia.


We're number twins! Best of luck :D

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby eaa1537 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:35 pm

Confused7 wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:I've given up hope I've been UR since 11/9. I took the LSAT twice with a huge gap between the 2 and although my LSAT is now above median I'm not holding my breath... :(


Do HYS really look less favorably on LSAT retakers? Looking at the people who have already gotten JR2, I'm beginning to think I have no chance unless I take it again...



This is just what I've heard, and the fact that I have not yet received a JR1 seems to support this unless there is something else horribly wrong with my application, which I hope there isn't. My first LSAT was way below their 25%, but my retake is a 174, and my gpa is a 3.88 from a top 20 undergrad. People who have submitted after me with the same stats have already either received a JR1 and or JR2, so I'm thinking they don't look favorably upon retakers, someone please correct me if i'm wrong...

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby thecilent » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:40 pm

eaa1537 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:I've given up hope I've been UR since 11/9. I took the LSAT twice with a huge gap between the 2 and although my LSAT is now above median I'm not holding my breath... :(


Do HYS really look less favorably on LSAT retakers? Looking at the people who have already gotten JR2, I'm beginning to think I have no chance unless I take it again...



This is just what I've heard, and the fact that I have not yet received a JR1 seems to support this unless there is something else horribly wrong with my application, which I hope there isn't. My first LSAT was way below their 25%, but my retake is a 174, and my gpa is a 3.88 from a top 20 undergrad. People who have submitted after me with the same stats have already either received a JR1 and or JR2, so I'm thinking they don't look favorably upon retakers, someone please correct me if i'm wrong...


No one can really be sure. Especially just talking about your one case, because who knows what the rest of your app looks like. For Harvard, it isn't strictly a numbers game; people who had the same stats as you (albeit no retake), may just have a more impressive app. It's just hard to tell whether the retake has hurt you - I would guess maybe slightly, but not significantly.

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby eaa1537 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks for the correction guys. The reason why I suggested that the retake may have hurt me personally was because Harvard says they judge you based on your average score, which in my case is still below their 25%. Other than that I'm sure the reason why people with similar stats to me have gotten a JR1/JR2 already, is because they just had a better overall application. Nonetheless, at this point I'm hoping I don't get rejected :( ... I'll take a hold/waitlist

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:54 pm

I just realized a typo at the end of my second essay...SMH. it's not even a spelling error I just typed the exact same words two times in a row in a sentence. I must've pressed undo or something and didn't catch it...wow.

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby starrydreamz3 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Confused7 wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:
hiddenfist wrote:UR since 11/6 = give up hope?


I've been UR since 11/8. I already have.

I guess if we don't get a JR 1 by like the second or third week of December then we'll likely get a ding/hold in mid January.

Hopefully just in time for a pick-me-up from Columbia.


We're number twins! Best of luck :D


To you too! Do you have a LSN I can stalk? =D

prt86a
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby prt86a » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:01 pm

You realize I'm talking about one of the online chat sessions not a JR1, right?

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby thecilent » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:05 pm

prt86a wrote:You realize I'm talking about one of the online chat sessions not a JR1, right?

Yeah, I'm not too sure about these. Someone else mentioned receiving that invite ITT a little bit ago, but that's pretty much all I've ever heard about it..

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:42 pm

prt86a wrote:You realize I'm talking about one of the online chat sessions not a JR1, right?


why don't you have one and tell us all about it :)

It can't be bad. Means you're a border candidate I'm sure, or it means there is something particularly interesting on your application they feel they need to know more about before they can make a decision about your file.
Not an auto-reject at least- congrats on that!

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Ragged » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:43 pm

eaa1537 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:I've given up hope I've been UR since 11/9. I took the LSAT twice with a huge gap between the 2 and although my LSAT is now above median I'm not holding my breath... :(


Do HYS really look less favorably on LSAT retakers? Looking at the people who have already gotten JR2, I'm beginning to think I have no chance unless I take it again...



This is just what I've heard, and the fact that I have not yet received a JR1 seems to support this unless there is something else horribly wrong with my application, which I hope there isn't. My first LSAT was way below their 25%, but my retake is a 174, and my gpa is a 3.88 from a top 20 undergrad. People who have submitted after me with the same stats have already either received a JR1 and or JR2, so I'm thinking they don't look favorably upon retakers, someone please correct me if i'm wrong...


We are really close stats-wise except your GPA is that crucial .01 higher and I've taken the LSAT 3 times. So you will probably go before me. (Damn you! :evil:) J/K :mrgreen: From looking at LSN data from the past few cycles we seem to have a decent shot, although still borderline.

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby eaa1537 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Ragged wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:I've given up hope I've been UR since 11/9. I took the LSAT twice with a huge gap between the 2 and although my LSAT is now above median I'm not holding my breath... :(


Do HYS really look less favorably on LSAT retakers? Looking at the people who have already gotten JR2, I'm beginning to think I have no chance unless I take it again...



This is just what I've heard, and the fact that I have not yet received a JR1 seems to support this unless there is something else horribly wrong with my application, which I hope there isn't. My first LSAT was way below their 25%, but my retake is a 174, and my gpa is a 3.88 from a top 20 undergrad. People who have submitted after me with the same stats have already either received a JR1 and or JR2, so I'm thinking they don't look favorably upon retakers, someone please correct me if i'm wrong...


We are really close stats-wise except your GPA is that crucial .01 higher and I've taken the LSAT 3 times. So you will probably go before me. (Damn you! :evil:) J/K :mrgreen: From looking at LSN data from the past few cycles we seem to have a decent shot, although still borderline.




Lol in that case best of luck to the both of us! :D

User avatar
tgir
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby tgir » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but I figured I'd post my stats and time line to add to the summary data for pre-Thanksgiving JR2's for posterity.

176, 3.9x, non-URM
Application received email: 9/20
JR1 email: 10/8
JR1 interview: 10/13
Application complete email: 10/14
JR 2: 11/22 (Josh called, but I couldn't answer where I was at that moment, so he sent me an email literally a minute later.)

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:33 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
prt86a wrote:You realize I'm talking about one of the online chat sessions not a JR1, right?


why don't you have one and tell us all about it :)

It can't be bad. Means you're a border candidate I'm sure, or it means there is something particularly interesting on your application they feel they need to know more about before they can make a decision about your file.
Not an auto-reject at least- congrats on that!


This is incorrect. An online chat session has nothing to do with your application.

User avatar
catsparka
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby catsparka » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Post-JR1 I am now listening to The Smiths - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want on infinite repeat, because I'm convinced that if I listen to this song enough times I will, in fact, get what I want (namely a JR2).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:47 pm

catsparka wrote:Post-JR1 I am now listening to The Smiths - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want on infinite repeat, because I'm convinced that if I listen to this song enough times I will, in fact, get what I want (namely a JR2).


Good luck getting a call soon!

Now can you hand-me-down the JR1? Pretty please? :lol:

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby Confused7 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:53 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:
hiddenfist wrote:UR since 11/6 = give up hope?


I've been UR since 11/8. I already have.

I guess if we don't get a JR 1 by like the second or third week of December then we'll likely get a ding/hold in mid January.

Hopefully just in time for a pick-me-up from Columbia.


We're number twins! Best of luck :D


To you too! Do you have a LSN I can stalk? =D


Thanks! And haha, no I don't...at least not yet. But feel free to PM!

User avatar
4for44
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Postby 4for44 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:55 pm

No movement today?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Baidu [Spider], chili_davis, danid83, Dodocogon, godinacup, hamburg, hangold, Keilz, lawdude31, proteinshake, Smallville, Thelaw23, TudoBem, Yahoo [Bot] and 36 guests