Harvard 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Post by r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:32 pm

dbrddr wrote:Can we please stay on topic here? Future applicants are going to come here to learn about applying to Harvard, and they'll have to plod through pages of philosophical musings and irrelevant arguments in order to find what they're looking for. This thread's already 24 pages long.
I see you are new to TLS and the acceptance threads. You must have looked through last year's thread before applying?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:34 pm

oxford_don wrote:
dbrddr wrote:Can we please stay on topic here? Future applicants are going to come here to learn about applying to Harvard, and they'll have to plod through pages of philosophical musings and irrelevant arguments in order to find what they're looking for. This thread's already 24 pages long.
Agreed. What are peoples thoughts on where to take the call? I work in a small office with little privacy and am considering asking to come home for an hour to do the interview. I hate the idea of giving a public performance for my co-workers and don't think the coffee shop next door would be much better.
tbf, last yr's Harvard 2010 app thread ended up at 204 pages and was actually around 24 pages on 11/6 as well! lol you guys are right on track!

but to not further derail the thread...ive heard from a lot of ppl that taking the time off is a big stress reducer. you dont have to worry about the setting and background noise. you wouldnt want to have a hard time hearing JR or vice versa. the call is only like 10min long, but taking an hour off would buy you peace of mind.

be thankful that JR at least gives you an hour window...TS in the past never really gave a heads up on what types of questions he'd ask (they werent the standard 3 all the time), nor a window of opportunity as precise as 1 hr on a specific day haha.

ilovemulch

Bronze

Post by ilovemulch » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Knock wrote:
MM326 wrote:
Did your status checker say under review before getting this email?
Yep. Submitted 10/18? UR 10/22, JR1 not received, complete email 11/04

Edit: Just checked my H status checker, and while I received a complete email 11/04, my status has remained UR 10/22
[/quote]

Knock - same thing happened to me. Status said UR 10/13, then got complete email 10/21 but status has remained UR since 10/13. There is no way in heck I'm getting a JR1 considering H is such a hail mary/shot in the dark for me...

Wannabelawyer101

New

Post by Wannabelawyer101 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:57 pm

oxford_don wrote:
Agreed. What are peoples thoughts on where to take the call? I work in a small office with little privacy and am considering asking to come home for an hour to do the interview. I hate the idea of giving a public performance for my co-workers and don't think the coffee shop next door would be much better.
The more privacy, the better. But also use a landline. I was afraid of my cell signal dropping.

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:I see you are new to TLS and the acceptance threads. You must have looked through last year's thread before applying?
I've been on TLS longer than you :p I also posted in this thread early on, but I uploaded the avatar only a few days ago.

off-topic post--sorry for the hypocrisy

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

InterArma

New

Post by InterArma » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:53 am

tkgrrett wrote:
philat87 wrote:
mgoblue11 wrote:So for those of you who have already had your JR1, I'm wondering if I could get some general feedback on how you thought it went.

When I got off the phone, I was very happy with the conversation, but I've basically been self-doubting into despair since then. What everybody said about JR held true for me - seems like an incredibly nice guy, but the interview is very fast-paced and kind of abrupt. I was worried that my answers were overly long and meandering. I guess I'm just concerned that I didn't make a strong enough impression for someone with bubble numbers (3.8x, 177).

Anybody feel like they completely hit their JR1 out of the park? Or, alternatively, atom-bombed their chances for a JR2?
I don't think anybody's really happy with their JR1. :lol: Mine was pretty abrupt too. JR seemed pretty chill but mostly he just asked one line questions, so it wasn't a chatty sort of interview or anything. My answers were probably long and a bit rushed. But whatever, I can't do anything more about it, so I'm trying to forget about it. Although I guess obsessively logging into TLS isn't helping.

Oh, and one thing: the call lasted 5:37. The number is indelibly printed on my brain at this point from staring at my recent call list. *facepalm* I'm not sure how long that is compared to the average JR1.
Mine was about the same length and I had the same feeling. Felt like I didnt effectively get any of my points across and at times it seemed like he was rushing it along. I really felt like it wouldve been bad to pause and think so I just jumped into the questions as they came. I had an outline of answers in front of me but I deviated from the specifics quite a bit. But phone interviews are just more stressful to me in general than face to face interviews.
At first, I felt like my phone interview went okay, but as more time passes I've come to accept that it was pretty much a boondoggle. I'm usually good at public speaking and I don't have any trouble in interviews, but it just wasn't my day. I could stress out about it, but I feel like the rest of my app is very strong, so I'd hope that a 4 minute interview will not be the thing upon which my admission/rejection ultimately turns.

I'm curious, blue, as to why you feel you're a "bubble" applicant, though. Your LSAT is above the 25th percentile for admitted students. Is your GPA on the low end of 3.8x?

mgoblue11

New

Post by mgoblue11 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:30 am

InterArma wrote:
At first, I felt like my phone interview went okay, but as more time passes I've come to accept that it was pretty much a boondoggle. I'm usually good at public speaking and I don't have any trouble in interviews, but it just wasn't my day. I could stress out about it, but I feel like the rest of my app is very strong, so I'd hope that a 4 minute interview will not be the thing upon which my admission/rejection ultimately turns.

I'm curious, blue, as to why you feel you're a "bubble" applicant, though. Your LSAT is above the 25th percentile for admitted students. Is your GPA on the low end of 3.8x?
mid-3.8s, so slightly below median. In another year I would be confident with a slightly-under-median GPA and an over-75th LSAT, but I'm coming straight out of undergrad (I bet if you're a skilled cryptographer you can figure out which one) without significant work experience during a year when JR seems very interested in work experience. On the other hand, I have good softs including jobs during the school year, so I'm holding out a sliver of hope for the JR2.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:49 am

mgoblue11 wrote:
InterArma wrote:

mid-3.8s, so slightly below median. In another year I would be confident with a slightly-under-median GPA and an over-75th LSAT, but I'm coming straight out of undergrad (I bet if you're a skilled cryptographer you can figure out which one) without significant work experience during a year when JR seems very interested in work experience. On the other hand, I have good softs including jobs during the school year, so I'm holding out a sliver of hope for the JR2.
You will get a JR2.

mydogteddy

New

Post by mydogteddy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:52 am

Hey Everyone!

Just had my JR1! To reiterate what everyone has been saying, JR was very relaxed and chill, questions were to be expected but with a much appreciated focus on my specific app! : )

Total length was about 6 minutes, seemed quick but I supposed that's average. I'm very happy with how it went, feeling pretty great right now!

Good luck everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:59 am

mydogteddy wrote:Hey Everyone!

Just had my JR1! To reiterate what everyone has been saying, JR was very relaxed and chill, questions were to be expected but with a much appreciated focus on my specific app! : )

Total length was about 6 minutes, seemed quick but I supposed that's average. I'm very happy with how it went, feeling pretty great right now!

Good luck everyone!
Congrats Teddy! :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting!

MM326

Bronze

Post by MM326 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Good luck everyone!
Had mine as well. It was relatively casual, he primarily targeted questions about my application. Pretty much what everyone else has been saying.

Let the waiting/stressing continue! :(
Last edited by MM326 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Out of Order

New

Post by Out of Order » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:13 pm

About how long did it take to go from "application received" to "complete" or "under review"? I'm sure it will be a little longer now that they're getting more applications than it did in early September, but I submitted a week ago, and every other school I've applied to now has me at the latter two.

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:07 pm

MM326 wrote:

Good luck everyone!
Had mine as well today. It was relatively casual, he primarily targeted questions about my application. Pretty much what everyone else has been saying. Mine was about ten minutes, and it went by super fast.

When you say he targeted questions about your app, do you mean he asked you specific questions about your resume, PS, etc. or that he tailored the standard why law, why Harvard questions around your app?

I am glad both of your JR1s seemed to go well, MM and mydogteddy!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

123kl

Bronze

Post by 123kl » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:48 pm

ahhhh I'm under review a week after my application was received. I didn't even know I was complete yet. Freaking out.

cnc2114

New

Post by cnc2114 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:57 pm

Calla Lily wrote:
MM326 wrote:

Good luck everyone!
Had mine as well today. It was relatively casual, he primarily targeted questions about my application. Pretty much what everyone else has been saying. Mine was about ten minutes, and it went by super fast.

When you say he targeted questions about your app, do you mean he asked you specific questions about your resume, PS, etc. or that he tailored the standard why law, why Harvard questions around your app?

I am glad both of your JR1s seemed to go well, MM and mydogteddy!
+1

pdiddy89

New

Post by pdiddy89 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:33 pm

sorry this question may have been answered earlier in the thread, but I couldn't find it.

how long does it typically take to go from under review to getting a jr1?

I went UR on 11/5. I'm not saying i think I will get a jr1, but if I do, when ought I expect it to be?

oxford_don

Bronze

Post by oxford_don » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:37 pm

[]
Last edited by oxford_don on Mon May 12, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MPeterson

Bronze

Post by MPeterson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:17 pm

Went under review 11/1, got JR1 e-mail 11/5. Good sign?

Edit: And submitted 10/27.

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:43 pm

MPeterson wrote:Went under review 11/1, got JR1 e-mail 11/5. Good sign?

Yes, a JR1 is a good sign.

ilovemulch

Bronze

Post by ilovemulch » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:52 pm

If you don't get a JR1, does that mean you are outright rejected? In other words, did everyone who gets waitlisted have a JR1 and not make the cut to the JR2? Because I'm assuming to get accepted you need a JR1 and if you're going to get in off the waitlist, that must hold true also...so is it that you would have already had one around now/when your app first went complete? Or way later in the cycle once all decisions are made and they are then reviewing waitlist and selecting some for further review/JR1?

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:55 pm

ilovemulch wrote:If you don't get a JR1, does that mean you are outright rejected? In other words, did everyone who gets waitlisted have a JR1 and not make the cut to the JR2? Because I'm assuming to get accepted you need a JR1 and if you're going to get in off the waitlist, that must hold true also...so is it that you would have already had one around now/when your app first went complete? Or way later in the cycle once all decisions are made and they are then reviewing waitlist and selecting some for further review/JR1?
The latter- it seems that those who aren't 4.0/180 *sigh* CAN get JR1s much later, it's just less likely.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:45 pm

MPeterson wrote:Went under review 11/1, got JR1 e-mail 11/5. Good sign?

Pretty good sign... JR1 = probably at least 85% chance of acceptance at this point in the cycle.

oxford_don

Bronze

Post by oxford_don » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:45 pm

[]
Last edited by oxford_don on Mon May 12, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:49 pm

oxford_don wrote:JR1 tomorrow. Don't think I will sleep much tonight.
GL Don! Just remember its "Hahhhhvuhd" not "Harvard." You don't want to look like you didn't research how to pronounce the school's name.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Knock wrote:
oxford_don wrote:JR1 tomorrow. Don't think I will sleep much tonight.
GL Don! Just remember its "Hahhhhvuhd" not "Harvard." You don't want to look like you didn't research how to pronounce the school's name.
Very true. You don't want to sound like a pretentious douche or anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”