Harvard 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
apple430

New

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Post by apple430 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:48 pm

DoubleChecks wrote: It varies. Sometimes JR tags an app early on thats gotten some preliminary screening (maybe general sorting? I'm guessing) and interviews the applicant. The app then goes to the 'board of adcomms' lol or whatnot who look at it (possibly twice, i cant remember what he told me last yr). Other times your app will have already been looked at (read: mostly decided on haha) and then he'll interview you and send it to them AGAIN to review. Something along those lines.

Point is, your app gets looked at multiple times by multiple people, and JR can interview you early on in that process or later on, though I am assuming it is always after some sort of preliminary screening (i.e. an app he finds 'interesting' w/ decent numbers or probable in's...etc.)
So, does this mean that the people interviewed in the first batch have only received initial screening or can their, I guess, degree of review differ from person to person?

CreativityKing

New

Post by CreativityKing » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:30 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
It varies. Sometimes JR tags an app early on thats gotten some preliminary screening (maybe general sorting? I'm guessing) and interviews the applicant. The app then goes to the 'board of adcomms' lol or whatnot who look at it (possibly twice, i cant remember what he told me last yr). Other times your app will have already been looked at (read: mostly decided on haha) and then he'll interview you and send it to them AGAIN to review. Something along those lines.

Point is, your app gets looked at multiple times by multiple people, and JR can interview you early on in that process or later on, though I am assuming it is always after some sort of preliminary screening (i.e. an app he finds 'interesting' w/ decent numbers or probable in's...etc.)
Thanks for the info.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:52 pm

75% of those interviewed get in, and the 25% who don't were considered "on the bubble". (Close, not quite). Only 15% get interviews. So one can assume that you've been through some sort of indicative screening already. Whether it's more than that, who knows, but your chances are at least 75% right now.
yeah thats about right...though from what JR said to me, it seemed as if his interview is usually not the last step...so someone else reviews it after him (maybe w/ his notes attached?). if it helps, i was interviewed in the first batch so around this time last yr.

its 800+ accepted out of 1000-1100 interviewed, so odds are pretty good...i mean, you know what questions he'll ask and JR is extremely chill

just dont do stupid things...i heard from HLS adcomms that 1 yr an interviewee put TS or whoever on hold to feed his dog haha

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:51 am

Rumor is that the ratio of accepted/interviewed was down to something like 800/12-1300, which is closer to 60%. It's still definitely a very good sign to get an interview, but it seems like you also needed to perform reasonably on that interview.

CreativityKing

New

Post by CreativityKing » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:01 am

It is hard for me to believe that the decision to let someone in or not is based in large part on a 7-10 minute conversation...just seems like it would be difficult to significantly improve or hurt your standing with an answer to "Why do you want to go to Harvard?" or "Where do you see your career going?"

Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:51 am

CreativityKing wrote:It is hard for me to believe that the decision to let someone in or not is based in large part on a 7-10 minute conversation...just seems like it would be difficult to significantly improve or hurt your standing with an answer to "Why do you want to go to Harvard?" or "Where do you see your career going?"

Thoughts?
I work at a newspaper, and we have staff that does fact checking. They call up and ask a series of questions to make sure everything is authentic. I would think they could find out in 5-10 minutes whether or not you wrote your PS and whether their perception of you is accurate or not. Many jobs also do phone interview/screening before bringing you in. Basically they like what they see from your materials, but they are fact checking to see if some awesome consultant crafted your app, and if you are indeed the person they want you to be. This may be a bigger deal for someone coming from a background/UG they don't now a lot about.

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:04 am

CreativityKing wrote:It is hard for me to believe that the decision to let someone in or not is based in large part on a 7-10 minute conversation...just seems like it would be difficult to significantly improve or hurt your standing with an answer to "Why do you want to go to Harvard?" or "Where do you see your career going?"

Thoughts?
I was also flipping out after my phone interview. Bear in mind that JR probably knocks many out in a row and likely jots down some notes and moves onto another applicant. A fellow HLSer told me that JR mentioned a candidate who replied "I don't know" to "Why do you want to go to Harvard?". As long as that's not how your phone interview went, I would breathe easy and feel good about getting an interview this early.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:44 am

Problem: I just went under review at Harvard and if I receive a quick jr1 I may have trouble getting it in time. I have fall break coming up and will be heading to the ozark mountains(arkansas). I'm not sure if my phone will get data on the specific place I will be and I doubt our cottage will have internet. How soon after the email is the interview typically?

CreativityKing

New

Post by CreativityKing » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:00 am

invisiblesun wrote:

Thoughts?
I was also flipping out after my phone interview. Bear in mind that JR probably knocks many out in a row and likely jots down some notes and moves onto another applicant. A fellow HLSer told me that JR mentioned a candidate who replied "I don't know" to "Why do you want to go to Harvard?". As long as that's not how your phone interview went, I would breathe easy and feel good about getting an interview this early.

Haha fortunately I came up with a better answer than "I don't know" for that question. Nothing to do now but sit back and wait for the next six weeks or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

biryou84

New

Post by biryou84 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:58 pm

aaa
Last edited by biryou84 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mydogteddy

New

Post by mydogteddy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 am

Just got my "application complete" email. App submitted 9/15, went "under review" 10/6. Is it a bad sign that I've yet to receive a JR1 email?

vsl89

Bronze

Post by vsl89 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:48 am

mydogteddy wrote:Just got my "application complete" email. App submitted 9/15, went "under review" 10/6. Is it a bad sign that I've yet to receive a JR1 email?
+ 1 Same situation, although my #s are not competitive...LSAT below 25%

EDIT: I should note that some people have received complete emails before JR1s based on past threads,but that appears to be the case only marginally.

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:00 am

same here tracker said complete as of 10/5 but application email today no JR1 yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:13 am

er doctor wrote:same here tracker said complete as of 10/5 but application email today no JR1 yet.
+1

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:17 am

vegenator wrote:
er doctor wrote:same here tracker said complete as of 10/5 but application email today no JR1 yet.
+1
Did it change to under review or stay at complete?

vsl89

Bronze

Post by vsl89 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:18 am

r6_philly wrote:
vegenator wrote:
+1
My status said under review since 10/06 and has stayed there despite the complete email today

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:20 am

r6_philly wrote:
vegenator wrote:
+1

Whoops, my bad. Mine went from complete to "Under review" on 10/5. Got my application complete email today. No JR1 (yet?). :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:22 am

vegenator wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
vegenator wrote:
+1

Whoops, my bad. Mine went from complete to "Under review" on 10/5. Got my application complete email today. No JR1 (yet?). :wink:

And my status checker stayed at "under review" even though I got the complete email.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:26 am

So based on ONE week of evidence, can we tentatively say they submit apps for review and pick people for JR1 on Fridays? Maybe if you are not picked the first week you get sent to the next week's pool. If you don't get picked until a certain time they will put you on hold for the last round of decisions.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:39 am

I never went complete. Went straight from app received to under review.

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:46 am

mydogteddy wrote:Just got my "application complete" email. App submitted 9/15, went "under review" 10/6. Is it a bad sign that I've yet to receive a JR1 email?
hm yeah, also got the email today although my status has been "under review" for at least a couple days.
ugh, i hope it just means that they've been a little slow with sending out emails.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:44 am

I think the next group of JR1s will be tomorrow.

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:47 am

CastleRock wrote:I think the next group of JR1s will be tomorrow.
+1

CreativityKing

New

Post by CreativityKing » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:00 pm

I got the complete email this morning...had my interview a couple days ago.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Just got JR1. Went under review 10/13

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”