Harvard 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sicsofs

New

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Post by Sicsofs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:40 am

complete 2/3, UR 2/7, and held on 3/22. I know I should be hoping for a WL at this point, but with my stats (so embarrassed that i would only share if i got in) i think they would have done that before or rejected me. The hold blew my mind. So in my mind, i am in until i am out. I feel a nod coming soon. I believe in you JR, I believe.

Bulldog05

New

Post by Bulldog05 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:17 am

I've been following this thread for weeks but haven't posted. Dinged this morning. UR 1/31. Good luck to those still waiting.

billyanks2

New

Post by billyanks2 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm UR 3/15, Complete 3/24 (submitted application on 1/31), I'm amazed (and less than hopeful) to hear that people who went UR over a month before me are just hearing now.

I've got jobs to decide on within the next two weeks... I hope some movement happens soon. I think my plan is to mulligan, take a job for two years, apply in september of the second year.
Last edited by billyanks2 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misterbingley

Bronze

Post by misterbingley » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Anybody know when the first combo JR1/JR2s of last cycle were reported?

Weirdlog

Bronze

Post by Weirdlog » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:06 pm

misterbingley wrote:Anybody know when the first combo JR1/JR2s of last cycle were reported?
Mid-April, I believe.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Weirdlog wrote:
misterbingley wrote:Anybody know when the first combo JR1/JR2s of last cycle were reported?
Mid-April, I believe.
Combos? I know they are a delicious snack especially the pizza ones, but please elaborate on this JR1/2 combo. I have never heard of this type.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Sicsofs wrote:
Weirdlog wrote:
Mid-April, I believe.
Combos? I know they are a delicious snack especially the pizza ones, but please elaborate on this JR1/2 combo. I have never heard of this type.
If they are crunched for time, he will make the JR1/2 in the same call.

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:20 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Sicsofs wrote:
Weirdlog wrote:
Mid-April, I believe.
If they are crunched for time, he will make the JR1/2 in the same call.
So i have heard of a couple JR1 holds. But if they get to the JR 1/2 combo time, is it basically just a JR2. Could you possible screw it up enough for him to change his mind on the phone.

hoping

Bronze

Post by hoping » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Mid-April, I believe.[/quote]

Combos? I know they are a delicious snack especially the pizza ones, but please elaborate on this JR1/2 combo. I have never heard of this type.[/quote]
If they are crunched for time, he will make the JR1/2 in the same call.[/quote]

So i have heard of a couple JR1 holds. But if they get to the JR 1/2 combo time, is it basically just a JR2. Could you possible screw it up enough for him to change his mind on the phone.[/quote]
yup---the jr1/rejections phone calls start at the same time...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Sicsofs wrote:So i have heard of a couple JR1 holds. But if they get to the JR 1/2 combo time, is it basically just a JR2. Could you possible screw it up enough for him to change his mind on the phone.
Common sense says definitely. Why would a busy person waste their time like that if it was already decided?

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:31 pm

hoping wrote:Mid-April, I believe.
Combos? I know they are a delicious snack especially the pizza ones, but please elaborate on this JR1/2 combo. I have never heard of this type.[/quote]
If they are crunched for time, he will make the JR1/2 in the same call.[/quote]

So i have heard of a couple JR1 holds. But if they get to the JR 1/2 combo time, is it basically just a JR2. Could you possible screw it up enough for him to change his mind on the phone.[/quote]
yup---the jr1/rejections phone calls start at the same time...[/quote]

Really, that would be the most depressing day ever. To get the man on the phone ready to admit you only to have you fumble at the goal line. That might be the very essence of choking.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Sicsofs wrote:Really, that would be the most depressing day ever. To get the man on the phone ready to admit you only to have you fumble at the goal line. That might be the very essence of choking.
I think that's the wrong way to look at it. There are probably people who are rejects going into the call but he will admit if he is super impressed. Then there are the people who are admits going into the call who can lose it if they are terrible.

Since you don't know which you are, it's impossible to know how much the call influenced your decision.

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:37 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Sicsofs wrote:So i have heard of a couple JR1 holds. But if they get to the JR 1/2 combo time, is it basically just a JR2. Could you possible screw it up enough for him to change his mind on the phone.
Common sense says definitely. Why would a busy person waste their time like that if it was already decided?
Well maybe i am not understanding the JR1 process. I read the interview on here in which he says its a 10-15 minute conversation just to get a feel for you, talk resume, and so on. Knowing that 800 of the 1000 get admitted, at this stage in the game the "interview" seemed like a formality since its not a formal interview. I would just figure at this stage in the cycle it would be a Ding, WL, or JR1/2. Sorry kids, i am still new to all this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:38 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Sicsofs wrote:Really, that would be the most depressing day ever. To get the man on the phone ready to admit you only to have you fumble at the goal line. That might be the very essence of choking.
I think that's the wrong way to look at it. There are probably people who are rejects going into the call but he will admit if he is super impressed. Then there are the people who are admits going into the call who can lose it if they are terrible.

Since you don't know which you are, it's impossible to know how much the call influenced your decision.
Ah, i got you. I would definitely have to be in the earlier of those scenarios, but that would be just fine by me.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 pm

my JR1 was pretty much just the following questions...

why do you want to be a lawyer?

what kind of law are you interested in?

why harvard?

it's really hard to screw up that badly...i stumbled through it without having any good answers (didn't realize i was getting a JR1 cause my UG screwed up my e-mail forwarding).

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:52 pm

dkt4 wrote:my JR1 was pretty much just the following questions...

why harvard?

it's really hard to screw up that badly...i stumbled through it without having any good answers (didn't realize i was getting a JR1 cause my UG screwed up my e-mail forwarding).
That's what i thought it was supposed to be like. Thanks bro and congrats. It looks like you have had a sick cycle.

arkansawyer

Bronze

Post by arkansawyer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Well maybe i am not understanding the JR1 process. I read the interview on here in which he says its a 10-15 minute conversation just to get a feel for you, talk resume, and so on. Knowing that 800 of the 1000 get admitted, at this stage in the game the "interview" seemed like a formality since its not a formal interview. I would just figure at this stage in the cycle it would be a Ding, WL, or JR1/2. Sorry kids, i am still new to all this.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

may

New

Post by may » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Sicsofs wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Ah, i got you. I would definitely have to be in the earlier of those scenarios, but that would be just fine by me.
It could also be to gauge the interest of the applicant, especially if it comes really late in the cycle. Take this case for example: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/underwhere108 The applicant waffled over whether she would pick Harvard over Columbia and subsequently did not get an offer on the end of the JR1. I think gauging continued interest might also play a role.

Also, I read some cases where the JR2 was a second phone call later in the day.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Well I am certainly still very interested. :)

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:Well I am certainly still very interested. :)
Ya Know!!! I get financial constraints. But short of $$$$ at a T10 and no money at H, who says no to Harvard. Seriously. Who does that? When i see em "I'm gonna thank em, I'm gonna buy the album, I'm gonna shoot a bootlegger", the way i feel about those people.

Kiwi917

Bronze

Post by Kiwi917 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 pm

why harvard?

Mine was essentially the same as this. I thought it went fine, save for a little awkward rambling at a couple points - but no JR2 for me. I like to think I didn't screw up that badly, but JR might disagree... I knew I was a very borderline candidate, though, and was shocked to get an interview in the first place.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:

why harvard?

Mine was essentially the same as this. I thought it went fine, save for a little awkward rambling at a couple points - but no JR2 for me. I like to think I didn't screw up that badly, but JR might disagree... I knew I was a very borderline candidate, though, and was shocked to get an interview in the first place.
I guess those are some pretty borderline stats, technically, but this late in the game i don't see them having a bunch of 176 pluses just hanging around . Hey it aint over til its over. I still gotta put you at better than even money.

chiedisevuoi

New

Post by chiedisevuoi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:28 pm

A question, folks:

I went from a JR1 --> weeks of silence --> LOCI --> held --> sent in extra material --> my status is now "under review" again on the status checker.

But now I can't remember if the status checker ever said "held" (or, i.e., what it did say when I was held). Would it have been something other than "UR" when I was held? Even though knowing what my status means is not of any consequence to whether I will be accepted, I'm curious...

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:28 pm

chiedisevuoi wrote:A question, folks:

I went from a JR1 --> weeks of silence --> LOCI --> held --> sent in extra material --> my status is now "under review" again on the status checker.

But now I can't remember if the status checker ever said "held" (or, i.e., what it did say when I was held). Would it have been something other than "UR" when I was held? Even though knowing what my status means is not of any consequence to whether I will be accepted, I'm curious...
Once you get held, the UR date changes to the day you were held, IIRC.

arkansawyer

Bronze

Post by arkansawyer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:52 pm

A question, folks:

Haha, I bet I wasn't the only one to look at my status checker after reading this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”