Harvard 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Harvard 2011 Applicants

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:11 pm

law_monkey wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:The numbers on this round of JR2's also seem to especially high. I don't think they have really dipped far down at all, which is scary...
Nope. Pretty much everyone with sub-Harvard stats just got placed on hold/rejected. For a school of such reputed brilliance they sure have predictable strategy! :wink:
Well actually this makes perfect sense. HY divide up the pool of high numbers, the top numerical qualities. So without knowing the pool, what's the point of letting sub median applicants taking up seats (and therefore may force a late app to go to CLS ( :shock: ). So they hold everyone who historically could fit well but have lower numbers, to keep them around, and some will be in if the high numbers from the rest of the pool can't yield the rest of the class. So I predict, a little bit after the app deadline passes, many holds will be WL/dinged, and some will remain "held". Then a slow stream of JR1's out of that pool will go out until they fill the rest of the class.

I am still predicting a much softer pool this year, and a more cautious approach (actuarial formula impacted by last year's flood of applicants), so I am hoping for a more active March/April for us who got the hold.

There are only a very small # of seats for 170ers, so I am not holding my breath.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:20 pm

law_monkey wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:The numbers on this round of JR2's also seem to especially high. I don't think they have really dipped far down at all, which is scary...
Nope. Pretty much everyone with sub-Harvard stats just got placed on hold/rejected. For a school of such reputed brilliance they sure have predictable strategy! :wink:
I was just saying that even with Harvard's stats, these numbers seem to be absurdly high. Any other school is, comparatively, dipping a bit lower (or at least it seems that way).

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:21 pm

r6_philly wrote: Well actually this makes perfect sense. HY divide up the pool of high numbers, the top numerical qualities. So without knowing the pool, what's the point of letting sub median applicants taking up seats (and therefore may force a late app to go to CLS ( :shock: ). So they hold everyone who historically could fit well but have lower numbers, to keep them around, and some will be in if the high numbers from the rest of the pool can't yield the rest of the class. So I predict, a little bit after the app deadline passes, many holds will be WL/dinged, and some will remain "held". Then a slow stream of JR1's out of that pool will go out until they fill the rest of the class.

I am still predicting a much softer pool this year, and a more cautious approach (actuarial formula impacted by last year's flood of applicants), so I am hoping for a more active March/April for us who got the hold.

There are only a very small # of seats for 170ers, so I am not holding my breath.
pretty much agree with all of this. Except that I will definitely be holding my breath. i'll be holding it alright. holding it hard. and holding it long. holding it until HLS gives me the sweet release I need. wait.. what are we talking about again?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:24 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
I was just saying that even with Harvard's stats, these numbers seem to be absurdly high. Any other school is, comparatively, dipping a bit lower (or at least it seems that way).
Yeah I know. I was just making a joke to lighten the mood in a somewhat formidable thread. Hence the wink. :D

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:31 pm

glitched wrote:
r6_philly wrote: Well actually this makes perfect sense. HY divide up the pool of high numbers, the top numerical qualities. So without knowing the pool, what's the point of letting sub median applicants taking up seats (and therefore may force a late app to go to CLS ( :shock: ). So they hold everyone who historically could fit well but have lower numbers, to keep them around, and some will be in if the high numbers from the rest of the pool can't yield the rest of the class. So I predict, a little bit after the app deadline passes, many holds will be WL/dinged, and some will remain "held". Then a slow stream of JR1's out of that pool will go out until they fill the rest of the class.

pretty much agree with all of this. Except that I will definitely be holding my breath. i'll be holding it alright. holding it hard. and holding it long. holding it until HLS gives me the sweet release I need. wait.. what are we talking about again?
Club 170 > Harvard

SOLIDARITY!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:36 am

apparently the december LSAT had 16% less takers, and 2010 had 10% less people take the LSAT overall...I would hope this would be good for us!

December LSAT test-takers drop 16.5% from last year; first time test-takers down 22%

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:37 am

The Stig wrote:apparently the december LSAT had 16% less takers, and 2010 had 10% less people take the LSAT overall...I would hope this would be good for us!

December LSAT test-takers drop 16.5% from last year; first time test-takers down 22%
Woo! I hope so =).

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 am

The Stig wrote:apparently the december LSAT had 16% less takers, and 2010 had 10% less people take the LSAT overall...I would hope this would be good for us!

This is what I've been saying all cycle.

dustinsc

New

Post by dustinsc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 am

I had an interview 1/19 and got an acceptance phone call 1/24. I should be ecstatic, but the fact that I would have to pay full price for Harvard is giving me doubts about whether or not I want to go. I have a $120,000 scholarship to UCLA, and it looks like I'd be making about the same out of school going there.

Anyone else having the "pay full price for Harvard or scholarship somewhere else" dilemma?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:47 am

dustinsc wrote:I had an interview 1/19 and got an acceptance phone call 1/24. I should be ecstatic, but the fact that I would have to pay full price for Harvard is giving me doubts about whether or not I want to go. I have a $120,000 scholarship to UCLA, and it looks like I'd be making about the same out of school going there.

Anyone else having the "pay full price for Harvard or scholarship somewhere else" dilemma?
This is incorrect. Please do some research man.

dustinsc

New

Post by dustinsc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:54 am

Knock wrote:
dustinsc wrote:I had an interview 1/19 and got an acceptance phone call 1/24. I should be ecstatic, but the fact that I would have to pay full price for Harvard is giving me doubts about whether or not I want to go. I have a $120,000 scholarship to UCLA, and it looks like I'd be making about the same out of school going there.

According to this site, UCLA's median starting salary is $160,000. I believe that was also in some UCLA materials I had (although I don't want to go through them to find out. That is exactly the number that the gentleman at Harvard quoted to me when we talked about finances in my interview. So if you've got better numbers, I'd love to see them.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:57 am

dustinsc wrote:
Knock wrote:

According to this site, UCLA's median starting salary is $160,000. I believe that was also in some UCLA materials I had (although I don't want to go through them to find out. That is exactly the number that the gentleman at Harvard quoted to me when we talked about finances in my interview. So if you've got better numbers, I'd love to see them.
No one has significantly better numbers, that's the problem. The reality is that the law schools are reporting extremely biased and skewed data, and you should not put any stock into those numbers. This is a very common discussion. Please read around TLS. Here's a thread I could dig up quickly, read it over: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=145436. Romothesavior's posts are highly credited.

dustinsc

New

Post by dustinsc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:12 am

Knock wrote:
dustinsc wrote:
Knock wrote:

No one has significantly better numbers, that's the problem. The reality is that the law schools are reporting extremely biased and skewed data, and you should not put any stock into those numbers. This is a very common discussion. Please read around TLS. Here's a thread I could dig up quickly, read it over: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=145436. Romothesavior's posts are highly credited.
Good thread; very enlightening. I'll keep that in mind as I weigh my options.

The problem is that I still have the dilemma. There's no guarantee that a Harvard education will financially make up for the significantly higher debt. I'm looking for thoughts from someone who might be in a similar situation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:22 am

CMDantes wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Under Review since 12/7.

Since then: crickets.

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:42 am

Any other early January submitters still not UR yet? My status checker looks the same as it did the day after I sent the app.

djfe4president

New

Post by djfe4president » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:59 am

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Well actually this makes perfect sense. HY divide up the pool of high numbers, the top numerical qualities. So without knowing the pool, what's the point of letting sub median applicants taking up seats (and therefore may force a late app to go to CLS ( :shock: ). So they hold everyone who historically could fit well but have lower numbers, to keep them around, and some will be in if the high numbers from the rest of the pool can't yield the rest of the class. So I predict, a little bit after the app deadline passes, many holds will be WL/dinged, and some will remain "held". Then a slow stream of JR1's out of that pool will go out until they fill the rest of the class.

This is the best response I have ever seen referring to Harvard's hold.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:35 am

dustinsc wrote: The problem is that I still have the dilemma. There's no guarantee that a Harvard education will financially make up for the significantly higher debt. I'm looking for thoughts from someone who might be in a similar situation.
I may be unqualified to comment since I am not facing a similar situation (well at least not at Harvard, yet), but stop searching for guarantees or anything that's close to it. This is only the first step to a legal career, a lot of things can and will happen along the way that could drastically change the outcome. You are simply able to play the odds and hedge your bets right now, the dice are still sitting on the table waiting to be thrown.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:37 am

dustinsc wrote:There's no guarantee that a Harvard education will financially make up for the significantly higher debt.
Since when?

Edit: If you want a sure thing, let LRAP work its magic by demanding that your employer(s) pay you under 60K or whatever for the first several years after you graduate.

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:44 am

dustinsc wrote:
Knock wrote:

Please go to UCLA where I can have your spot at Harvard and thus turn down money from schools ranked with/above UCLA

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Hmm seems there will be no movement today. Since the day is basically over.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:03 am

Nulli Secundus wrote:Hmm seems there will be no movement today. Since the day is basically over.
Lolwut

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:07 am

dustinsc wrote: The problem is that I still have the dilemma. There's no guarantee that a Harvard education will financially make up for the significantly higher debt. I'm looking for thoughts from someone who might be in a similar situation.
+1

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:10 am

CastleRock wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:Hmm seems there will be no movement today. Since the day is basically over.
Lolwut
--ImageRemoved--

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:16 am

Nulli Secundus wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
Lolwut
--ImageRemoved--
I think you should position your post above the zone, that'd be more sarcastic.

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:04 pm

almightypush wrote:
+1
1) This probably isn't the right thread for this conversation.

2) This conversation has been had many times on TLS so you could probably find a lot of relevant threads about people making similar choices.

3) I think a lot of people are, or could be, in a similar situation. I may be going out on a limb here, but I think most people who get into Harvard could get a full tuition scholarship at a T30 school. But the fact remains that most of them go to Harvard. It's a personal choice, and it really depends on your ambitions and your goals, what you want to get out of law school, the amount of importance you place on prestige, etc.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”