GULC Waiting Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bob77

New

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Post by bob77 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:54 pm

fatduck wrote:
bob77 wrote:wow, cognitive dissonance much? sorry if i came off as snarky, but i don't think it's unreasonable to be offended. how are people supposed to make informed decisions if schools are doing this sort of thing (i.e., tripping over themselves to perpetuate the us news rankings)?

EDIT: not to mention blatantly manipulating data
not even sure where to begin. first of all, "i'm considering expressing interest in remaining on the list, so that they will accept me" is pretty presumptuous. second, you do realize that yield protection is better for applicants, right? if georgetown just admitted everyone they wanted to attend, with no regard for whether that candidate was likely to accept the offer, they would have to waitlist more applicants who are likely to be admitted, because class size is limited. or, the more fucked up option, they risk having to reneg on admissions decisions or overcrowd their class. you're effectively saying that candidates who don't have HYSCCN numbers should have to wait longer for their admissions decisions (and have to waste money on seat deposits at backup schools) so that you can get the satisfaction of rejecting an offer of admission from georgetown (probably on April 1st, when you submit your deposit to NYU or wherever). awesome. i'm glad you value yourself so highly.

the downside to yield protection? overqualified applicants who get waitlisted at a school they really want to attend have to write a LOCI to get admitted. cry me a river.
i wasn't being presumptuous--i've been auto-admitted at both berkeley and nyu, i think it's a reasonable conclusion that gtown is interested. this is a forum that is valuable in large part because of its culture of candidness. i wasn't trying to be a jerk, sorry i hurt your feelings.

and no, i am effectively saying everyone (HYSCCN is not some netherworld) should have to wait longer because a legal community in which the us news rankings were less influential and alternative, legitimate resources like leiter's were more influential by way of law schools shunning us news (as opposed to, say, manipulating their data) would be much more valuable for all of us. you literally completely ignored my point, which is silly, dude.
Last edited by bob77 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:54 pm

Lou9 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
bob77 wrote:wow, cognitive dissonance much? sorry if i came off as snarky, but i don't think it's unreasonable to be offended. how are people supposed to make informed decisions if schools are doing this sort of thing (i.e., tripping over themselves to perpetuate the us news rankings)?

EDIT: not to mention blatantly manipulating data
not even sure where to begin. first of all, "i'm considering expressing interest in remaining on the list, so that they will accept me" is pretty presumptuous. second, you do realize that yield protection is better for applicants, right? if georgetown just admitted everyone they wanted to attend, with no regard for whether that candidate was likely to accept the offer, they would have to waitlist more applicants who are likely to be admitted, because class size is limited. or, the more fucked up option, they risk having to reneg on admissions decisions or overcrowd their class. you're effectively saying that candidates who don't have HYSCCN numbers should have to wait longer for their admissions decisions (and have to waste money on seat deposits at backup schools) so that you can get the satisfaction of rejecting an offer of admission from georgetown (probably on April 1st, when you submit your deposit to NYU or wherever). awesome. i'm glad you value yourself so highly.

the downside to yield protection? overqualified applicants who get waitlisted at a school they really want to attend have to write a LOCI to get admitted. cry me a river.
I really want to like you. I really like your lobster dog and I like ducks, but I just can't figure out why you are bothering having this argument. The person got waitlisted, let them be bitter for a day or two.

On to more important things... like analyzing my complete dates! I believe I've already had 3 this month and 2 in January.
yea i actually just came back to this thread to edit that post because of how pointless this argument is, but then you went and quoted me :D

mango2281

New

Post by mango2281 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:35 pm

beachviolet11 wrote:anyone update from 2/3 to 2/11?
+1

1/27 -> 2/3 -> 2/11
No email, no ASW. Eeeek!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:40 pm

mango2281 wrote:
beachviolet11 wrote:anyone update from 2/3 to 2/11?
+1

1/27 -> 2/3 -> 2/11
No email, no ASW. Eeeek!
live to fight another day!

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Does anyone know when the first deposit deadline is? Maybe some waitlist movement would happen around then?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

restless

New

Post by restless » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:09 am

Complete 1/25 --> 2/09 --> 2/11. I know I shouldn't read into this, but I'm driving myself fucking crazy with these adcomm mind games.

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:56 am

restless wrote:Complete 1/25 --> 2/09 --> 2/11. I know I shouldn't read into this, but I'm driving myself fucking crazy with these adcomm mind games.
+1000 (on the driving myself crazy part)

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:40 am

My application was updated to complete on 2/11 as well, but I don't know if this is the second or third update. I'm really slipping on my OCD. :lol: I submitted on 1/31, so it's possible that it's only my second.
It's a huge reach, but I'm a non-trad applicant, so I'm hoping they find me interesting. Like, really interesting. :? At least they haven't dinged me yet. Limbo is not such a bad place to be in this case.

BuckeyeGirl

New

Post by BuckeyeGirl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:56 pm

12/6 -> 2/1 -> 2/8 -> 2/11

No email, no ASW. Come on Gtown....tomorrow?!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:44 pm

Preferred waitlisted on Friday. Apparently there is a "preferred group" within the "preferred waitlist." Interesting...

"The Committee has designated you as part of a small select group within the Preferred Waiting List that will be given priority as spaces open up in the entering class."

3.76/170, early January applicant, FWIW. Best of luck to you all still waiting!

orwell88

New

Post by orwell88 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi everyone,
So I told myself that I wasn't going to get too involved in waiting to hear back from law schools and that I would just let things happen. But of course that was a promise I could not keep, so here I am avidly reading others' posts and making one myself! My application was also updated to "Application Completed" on 2/11 and I believe that that was my 3rd or 4th update. I got an invitation to a group interview (which I did not attend) and one for an interview with an alumni (which I did). As of yet, I haven't heard anything regarding a decision. I don't know if there is any meaning to this sequence of events, but if there is meaning to be found, I figure this would be the place where I could have help finding it! My numbers are 165/3.95. Best of luck to everyone else waiting to hear back!

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:34 am

Have any 2/11ers been able to generate a username on the admitted students website?

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 pm

any movement out there today?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GoldenGopherHopeful

New

Post by GoldenGopherHopeful » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 pm

I've only had two updates: 1/10 --> 1/28. GULC was a pretty big reach for me with my GPA, but others who went complete at the same time I did have already heard about WL or dings. Is there anything positive to be inferred from this, or have they just stuck me in a pile and forgotten about me?
Last edited by GoldenGopherHopeful on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:16 pm

GoldenGopherHopeful wrote:I've only had two updates: 1/10 --> 1/28. GULC was a pretty big reach for me with my GPA, but others who went complete at the same time I did have already heard about WL or dings. Is there anything positive to be inferred by this, or have they just stuck me in a pile and forgotten about me?
I got the preferred waitlist (put in a priority group in the preferred waitlist, too) 2 days after I got my 2nd update. So yeah, I would feel somewhat safe if I were you.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:26 pm

bender18 wrote:Have any 2/11ers been able to generate a username on the admitted students website?
nothing here...I think we're all screwed haha

GoldenGopherHopeful

New

Post by GoldenGopherHopeful » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:35 pm

jrose5 wrote:
GoldenGopherHopeful wrote:I've only had two updates: 1/10 --> 1/28. GULC was a pretty big reach for me with my GPA, but others who went complete at the same time I did have already heard about WL or dings. Is there anything positive to be inferred by this, or have they just stuck me in a pile and forgotten about me?
I got the preferred waitlist (put in a priority group in the preferred waitlist, too) 2 days after I got my 2nd update. So yeah, I would feel somewhat safe if I were you.
I'm a pretty big splitter so I'm not so sure I'm safe, but thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dinamika

New

Post by dinamika » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:50 pm

I just got dinged. Good luck to the rest of you. I'm relieved I don't need to waste all my time anymore refreshing this forum.

GoldenGopherHopeful

New

Post by GoldenGopherHopeful » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:52 pm

dinamika wrote:I just got dinged. Good luck to the rest of you. I'm relieved I don't need to waste all my time anymore refreshing this forum.
I'm sorry to hear that - would you mind telling when you went complete/were last updated?

dinamika

New

Post by dinamika » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:58 pm

GoldenGopherHopeful wrote:
dinamika wrote:I just got dinged. Good luck to the rest of you. I'm relieved I don't need to waste all my time anymore refreshing this forum.
I'm sorry to hear that - would you mind telling when you went complete/were last updated?
I think the complete date was 1/18 and I was last updated 2/11.

restless

New

Post by restless » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:21 pm

Dinged as well. My first one yet, a little sad... Oh well. Went complete in the second week of Jan. Most recent update was 02/11 after 3 changes. Good luck to everyone else still in the running!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

squirrelgirl

New

Post by squirrelgirl » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:25 pm

Updated to Completed 2/14. I'm pretty sure this is my third or fourth update. I was previously at 1/31.

adamdroog

New

Post by adamdroog » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Just updated to 2/14. Too many updates to remember, 6 or 7 I think. I interviewed a couple weeks ago.
Last edited by adamdroog on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoldenGopherHopeful

New

Post by GoldenGopherHopeful » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:39 pm

If I haven't been offered an interview, does that mean it's a ding?

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:41 pm

GoldenGopherHopeful wrote:If I haven't been offered an interview, does that mean it's a ding?
no, plenty of applicants are accepted without an interview. it's usually reserved for borderline/YP applicants

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”