GULC Waiting Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby jrose5 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Flips88 wrote:
jrose5 wrote:Wait, maybe I am worrying prematurely... I went from Complete 1/28 -> Complete 2/08. I never actually went to UR... will G-Town show UR as a status?

Congrats to the new admits!!


No UR status. just "Application Completed [date]" updates. No standard for how many it takes to get a decision


Oh. Ugh. Back to worrying then. Thanks for informing, though....
:(
2 Complete updates... ~10 days apart (1/28 and 2/08)... I wonder if this means anything... probably not.

User avatar
hotthaichick
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:59 am

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby hotthaichick » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:05 pm

jrose5 wrote:Wait, maybe I am worrying prematurely... I went from Complete 1/28 -> Complete 2/08. I never actually went to UR... will G-Town show UR as a status?

Congrats to the new admits!!


Yeah sorry for the confusion...I meant my dates were Complete 1/18->2/3->2/7

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby jrose5 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:07 pm

hotthaichick wrote:
jrose5 wrote:Wait, maybe I am worrying prematurely... I went from Complete 1/28 -> Complete 2/08. I never actually went to UR... will G-Town show UR as a status?

Congrats to the new admits!!


Yeah sorry for the confusion...I meant my dates were Complete 1/18->2/3->2/7


Ah ok. So you had 3 complete dates before you heard anything. I'll start panicking when I get my 3rd complete and no ASW...

Congrats on G-Town!! I only hope to be in the same position in a few days'/weeks' time...

ej2053
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby ej2053 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:08 pm

jrose5 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
jrose5 wrote:Wait, maybe I am worrying prematurely... I went from Complete 1/28 -> Complete 2/08. I never actually went to UR... will G-Town show UR as a status?

Congrats to the new admits!!


No UR status. just "Application Completed [date]" updates. No standard for how many it takes to get a decision


Oh. Ugh. Back to worrying then. Thanks for informing, though....
:(
2 Complete updates... ~10 days apart (1/28 and 2/08)... I wonder if this means anything... probably not.


There's no standard, but it generally seems to take at least three, often four updates before they make a decision.
I'm on my fourth update with no email or asw.

melamine
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby melamine » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 pm

tarakit wrote:So... do most people have interview requests, or is this just for "marginal" candidates? I had an interview request today (numbers are 169/3.96), and LSP has me at 75%. Should I be concerned?


it might be just for marginal candidates - it might also be for candidates where they want to see how interested they actually are in going to georgetown... that said, i say don't second guess, and just do the interview - especially if they can find someone in your area.

Asleep
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:29 am

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby Asleep » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:42 pm

.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby super6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:24 am

I've just been complete since 1/5. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
I'm 170/3.6 which is median LSAT and slightly below median for GPA so I would at least like to think that doesn't make me an obvious reject.

dcgirl9
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby dcgirl9 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:43 am

I just went to my third complete today...1/5 -> 1/28 -> 2/9. anyone else? not feeling so good if 2/7 was a batch of acceptances!

lfp
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby lfp » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 am

dcgirl9 wrote:I just went to my third complete today...1/5 -> 1/28 -> 2/9. anyone else? not feeling so good if 2/7 was a batch of acceptances!


We're in the exact same boat. Same exact dates. Are you applying for full or part time?

dcgirl9
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby dcgirl9 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 am

Full-time...its a reach school for me, too. so anxious now (and terrified of my email)

lfp
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby lfp » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:28 am

Any idea on the amount of time before one would receive an email after an update, if a decision is actually going to happen? Is this the sort of thing where I should dread my email today, or a week from now? Hm...?

User avatar
dink3500
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:19 am

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby dink3500 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:33 am

lfp wrote:
dcgirl9 wrote:I just went to my third complete today...1/5 -> 1/28 -> 2/9. anyone else? not feeling so good if 2/7 was a batch of acceptances!


We're in the exact same boat. Same exact dates. Are you applying for full or part time?


Yup I am in a similar boat, i have no clue how this is going to turn out 1/21 -> 2/1 -> 2/9
With the last two being so close I am kind of worried.

RicketyCricket
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby RicketyCricket » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:15 pm

lfp wrote:Any idea on the amount of time before one would receive an email after an update, if a decision is actually going to happen? Is this the sort of thing where I should dread my email today, or a week from now? Hm...?

They've been sending out emails the afternoon they make a decision, I think.

840e
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby 840e » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:42 pm

.
Last edited by 840e on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulsung123
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby paulsung123 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Went from 2/3 complete -> 2/8 complete with no ASW access

time to panic??

shoop
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby shoop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:09 pm

If ten (10) anxious GULC applicants who haven't heard anything yet PM me promising to think happy thoughts for me to get a JR2 on Monday, I promise I'll withdraw my GULC app and open up a seat the same day I get into HLS. I am approximately 50% kidding.

Hang in there! My acceptance came out of thin air... my status checker still says "Application Complete 1/31/2011" and I got into the ASW earlier this week and my letter was postmarked 2/3. I'm not saying that no news is definitely good news, but it seems to be possible that you can think there's no news when in reality your good news is in the hands of USPS!

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:14 pm

paulsung123 wrote:Went from 2/3 complete -> 2/8 complete with no ASW access

time to panic??


If you only had 2 updates, wait for a 3rd aka do not panic now.

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Asked to do a group video interview next week in LA....I don't know that I can make it. Is this something I need to make time for? He said it would not disadvantage my application, but I'm not sure thats true.

User avatar
Siamsa414
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby Siamsa414 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:49 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Asked to do a group video interview next week in LA....I don't know that I can make it. Is this something I need to make time for? He said it would not disadvantage my application, but I'm not sure thats true.


I just got the e-mail too, and I decided to attend. Basically, I took the interview as an indication that they want more information about me for some reason--either there's something they want to clarify, or they want to gauge my interest, or they just think I sound like a charming and fascinating person. (Right.)

If they feel they need more information about me, I don't want to turn down the opportunity to provide it. I don't think you will be actually penalized for declining the interview, but they will be deciding just on what they already know about you, and not on extra information you could provide in an interview.

User avatar
R.R. Raskolnikov
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:52 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Asked to do a group video interview next week in LA....I don't know that I can make it. Is this something I need to make time for? He said it would not disadvantage my application, but I'm not sure thats true.


I had to turn a group interview down due to my job, but they came back at me within the next week about interviewing with an alumni in the area, which I am in the process of setting up. I assume if the "want to learn more information" about me, it means I'm borderline and need the interview to push me in the door. It's certainly a chance to make an impression so it's probably worth making time for if you really want to get in.

Has anyone done one of these alumni interviews? Any details, tips, etc?

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:53 pm

I almost turned it down due to my job, but I told my boss this was important and I am going no matter what now. I really want to get in and I think if I have the chance to interview it would get me in. Others have said about 75% of people who do group interviews get in...

talkingdonkey
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby talkingdonkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:55 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:Asked to do a group video interview next week in LA....I don't know that I can make it. Is this something I need to make time for? He said it would not disadvantage my application, but I'm not sure thats true.


I had to turn a group interview down due to my job, but they came back at me within the next week about interviewing with an alumni in the area, which I am in the process of setting up. I assume if the "want to learn more information" about me, it means I'm borderline and need the interview to push me in the door. It's certainly a chance to make an impression so it's probably worth making time for if you really want to get in.

Has anyone done one of these alumni interviews? Any details, tips, etc?


I did a one-on-one with an alum. Most of the questions were of "why law school" and "why GULC" variety, almost none of them dealt with anything on my resume. I got the impression it's more to flesh out your interpersonal skills and why you're interested in Georgetown than a review of your work/academic experience.

As far as dress, I went to mine right after work so I wore a suit, but I've heard of some that are more casual. Of course, since it might differ person to person, I'd err on the side of being overdressed.

pimpsdontcry
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby pimpsdontcry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:32 pm

going to the group interview next week as well. who's signed up fro 12 o'clock?!

2ndAmendment
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby 2ndAmendment » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:41 pm

talkingdonkey wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:Asked to do a group video interview next week in LA....I don't know that I can make it. Is this something I need to make time for? He said it would not disadvantage my application, but I'm not sure thats true.


I had to turn a group interview down due to my job, but they came back at me within the next week about interviewing with an alumni in the area, which I am in the process of setting up. I assume if the "want to learn more information" about me, it means I'm borderline and need the interview to push me in the door. It's certainly a chance to make an impression so it's probably worth making time for if you really want to get in.

Has anyone done one of these alumni interviews? Any details, tips, etc?


I did a one-on-one with an alum. Most of the questions were of "why law school" and "why GULC" variety, almost none of them dealt with anything on my resume. I got the impression it's more to flesh out your interpersonal skills and why you're interested in Georgetown than a review of your work/academic experience.

As far as dress, I went to mine right after work so I wore a suit, but I've heard of some that are more casual. Of course, since it might differ person to person, I'd err on the side of being overdressed.


I participated in a group interview last week. Dress was supposed to be business casual, but all the guys, me included, wore ties. Some also wore suits. I'm a horrible judge of lady's dress codes, so I'm guessing they were also dressed in business casual attire. I didn't notice anyone in the Hillary-Clintonesque lady suits. Dean Cornblatt asked questions to provoke discussion about the law school admissions process. It wasn't personal at all. I think he wanted to see how we interact in groups when discussing abstract principles that have "real world" implications.

pimpsdontcry
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby pimpsdontcry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:46 pm

I participated in a group interview last week. Dress was supposed to be business casual, but all the guys, me included, wore ties. Some also wore suits. I'm a horrible judge of lady's dress codes, so I'm guessing they were also dressed in business casual attire. I didn't notice anyone in the Hillary-Clintonesque lady suits. Dean Cornblatt asked questions to provoke discussion about the law school admissions process. It wasn't personal at all. I think he wanted to see how we interact in groups when discussing abstract principles that have "real world" implications.


a little more detail please? :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, Houzy, jjcorvino, mav1993, mcvizz, pahuber2 and 26 guests