GULC Waiting Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Emma1

Re: GULC Waiting Thread

Postby Emma1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Peg wrote:Ugh, the wait is killing me.

How many of you torture yourselves by imagining life at GULC? Imagining your room at Gewirz Student Center, imagining your classes, studying in the GULC library, walking around Capitol Hill because it's right there, taking the train into the Union Square station every morning, getting externships in DC, shopping for groceries in DC, and all of that?

Because this is how I torture myself.

If I end up getting dinged, it will not be pretty.

Have you taken a look at lawschoolnumbers.com. I wish you the very best but you should prepare to be be dinged or waitlisted.

JenBunny

Postby JenBunny » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:38 pm

I submitted on 12/13, most recent update on 1/5 (only the 2nd update) and nothing since then (including no email for interview). Any ideas what that means? I am compulsively shopping to deal with the stress of waiting and my bank account can no longer take it!

onepass

Postby onepass » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:39 pm

3-4 times before a decision is reached? What if your status has changed 6-7 times? I thought that I was going to be an auto-deny but I'm beginning to suspect I'm headed for the waitlist.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:52 pm

onepass wrote:3-4 times before a decision is reached? What if your status has changed 6-7 times? I thought that I was going to be an auto-deny but I'm beginning to suspect I'm headed for the waitlist.

I think I remember reading that on the fence candidates they pass on to faculty for review. Did you get an interview invite?
Last edited by ArchRoark on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

onepass

Postby onepass » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:01 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
onepass wrote:3-4 times before a decision is reached? What if your status has changed 6-7 times? I thought that I was going to be an auto-deny but I'm beginning to suspect I'm headed for the waitlist.

I think I remember reading that on the fence canisates they pass on to faculty for review. Did you get an interview invite?

Yes, I did the interview two days ago!

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Perch wrote:

How many of you torture yourselves by imagining life at GULC? Imagining your room at Gewirz Student Center, imagining your classes, studying in the GULC library, walking around Capitol Hill because it's right there, taking the train into the Union Square station every morning, getting externships in DC, shopping for groceries in DC, and all of that?

well said...on that note, any other 1/11s out there?

Yes :-)

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Union Station ;-)

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:13 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:

Union Station ;-)

I think she got Union Station and Judiciary Square messed up. I didn't want to correct her. :wink:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:44 pm

law4vus wrote:
Perch wrote:
JTMan wrote:
I think I'm on the giving up side

im getting there...ED and my three weeks are nearly up. bad sign or does it seem that GULC takes the full three weeks this cycle (and then some?)

ED'd around December 13 or so...had group interview in early Jan. Still "complete" at 1/4. No telling when I'll get a decision.

I'm in a similar boat. Considering ED turn around timeline and that my status checker was last updated over a month ago, I'm considering emailing them just to see what's up.

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:51 pm

law4vus wrote:
msridiculous447 wrote:

Union Station ;-)

I think she got Union Station and Judiciary Square messed up. I didn't want to correct her. :wink:

I only did it because I got myself very very lost so many times between those two stops this past summer. I feel a sense of haughty entitlement after negotiating the area without dying. :mrgreen:

androstan

Postby androstan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:35 pm

ED'd, app received 11/30 but held for December LSAT.

App complete 1/7, still sitting on 1/7.

What does it mean!? I <3 GULC/DC.

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:42 pm

androstan wrote:ED'd, app received 11/30 but held for December LSAT.

Same here exactly. Maybe they haven't gotten to the December LSAT-taker pile yet except for auto-admits

androstan

Postby androstan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:54 pm

iwanta170 wrote:
androstan wrote:ED'd, app received 11/30 but held for December LSAT.

Same here exactly. Maybe they haven't gotten to the December LSAT-taker pile yet except for auto-admits

Are you on LSN?

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Yep I'll PM you my page

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Did those of you who interviewed send your interviewer a thank you note or email? I have no idea what the protocol for these things are, this is like my second interview for anything in my life.

onepass

Postby onepass » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:40 pm

I sent a thank you e-mail. I was thinking about also sending a note but thought that would be a bit of overkill.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Did those of you who interviewed send your interviewer a thank you note or email? I have no idea what the protocol for these things are, this is like my second interview for anything in my life.

Email.

My interviewer was pretty nice and is willing to talk to me again if I want to. I know other people who are having a second lunch with their interviewers. But for most people, just email as it is simple and professional.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks!

I was thinking an email would be most appropriate, glad my social skills aren't super rusty. :lol:

Hopefully we hear back soon... I want that beautiful little envelope in my mailbox!

Perch

Postby Perch » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:45 pm

how in the world did so many people get an interview? it's all initiated by the admissions committee, right?

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Is the interview a necessary step before acceptance, or is it just for marginal admits? Any sense what portion of admits get interviewed?

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:49 pm

somewhere wrote:Is the interview a necessary step before acceptance, or is it just for marginal admits? Any sense what portion of admits get interviewed?

General consensus has been that interviews (alum interviews, not group interviews) are for borderline applicants, mostly splitters. You definitely don't need to be interviewed to be admitted.

Perch

Postby Perch » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:50 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
somewhere wrote:Is the interview a necessary step before acceptance, or is it just for marginal admits? Any sense what portion of admits get interviewed?

General consensus has been that interviews (alum interviews, not group interviews) are for borderline applicants, mostly splitters. You definitely don't need to be interviewed to be admitted.

and how about the group interviews?

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:51 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:

I didn't realize there was a difference between alum and group interviews. What are the group ones for, then (meaning, the consensus with those)?

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:51 pm

Ugh Perch you beat me by like a minute lol

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:55 pm

I didn't have a group interview, but reading back through the thread a bunch of people above both medians were invited to group interviews, which made people think that it was more of a way to gauge applicant interest.

This is all complete speculation though, based on everyone's experiences so far this cycle.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”