Duke NOT Priority Track Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Re: Duke NOT Priority Track

Post by theturkeyisfat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:He's pretty close IMO. Mid-law will all get outsourced via the internet (could stay on-shore but will go at extremely low cost to people graduating from TTTT's or pseudo-paralegals.) All that will remain are your local criminal attorneys and maybe some local civil and then Biglaw because when you're talking billions of dollars in a M&A deal or Pharma patent what's a few million in legal fee's to have the absolute best.
Right community legal services will not go away. But most small-mid size firms that don't specialize just can't compete with the larger firms. Look at every other sectors, it's always consolidating. Biglaw is not going to go away because it directly caters to the finance and commerce centers. Think Walmart. Big or small, barely any mid.
so does this mean that the legal market will shrink, or that it will just become polarized? and if that means it will shrink, what does that mean in terms of choosing a law school (shoot for biglaw or take $$...) I'd appreciate your insights.

I'm freaking out, man (not really, but I just wanted to say that).

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:10 pm

forward wrote:Let's entertain ourselves until they begin RD review, or the apocalypse hits - whichever comes first.

There once was a process at Duke,
called RD admissions, a fluke
I wish I hadn't applied,
A decision not til I've died,
This wait is making me puke.
OMG a limerick!!!! you're the best

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Finally an update! Hoorah!

UR 10/12 --> 2/8

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:15 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:
so does this mean that the legal market will shrink, or that it will just become polarized? and if that means it will shrink, what does that mean in terms of choosing a law school (shoot for biglaw or take $$...) I'd appreciate your insights.

Actually I want to make sure you know I don't have any insights, I am just making my own assessment, so don't take what I say as what will happen. My opinion, purely. (and could be quite wrong).

I just think the bimodal salary distribution is going to progress worse (like it has been for the last few years). So you can either work small firm for 40-60k or big firm at 130k+. There is still advancement from small law, but you probably won't be able to crack biglaw if you don't crack it out of school. I think if you go to payscale, and/or gov. data, mean experienced law salary is about 90-100k. I think if you don't make biglaw, you will be looking at that as a career potential (discounting of course the possibility of making it big on your own).

Here is the salary progression from the other thread:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
Here are some charts re: salary data:

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:16 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:He's pretty close IMO. Mid-law will all get outsourced via the internet (could stay on-shore but will go at extremely low cost to people graduating from TTTT's or pseudo-paralegals.) All that will remain are your local criminal attorneys and maybe some local civil and then Biglaw because when you're talking billions of dollars in a M&A deal or Pharma patent what's a few million in legal fee's to have the absolute best.
Right community legal services will not go away. But most small-mid size firms that don't specialize just can't compete with the larger firms. Look at every other sectors, it's always consolidating. Biglaw is not going to go away because it directly caters to the finance and commerce centers. Think Walmart. Big or small, barely any mid.

It may not shrink right away, but when people start to realize that certain schools for the most part are a scam at sticker, I believe fewer people will drop applications to schools, which will hurt MidLaw and below. The sector will be canabalized by BigLaw firms, causing shrinkage to a certain degree. The debt repayment for kids paying sticker at TTT schools is ridiculous right now, kids will opt for other options. $200k debt at a 75-85k a year job is suicide.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Post by theturkeyisfat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:21 pm

i know this is a digression, but just wondering...

what do you think this will do for people's chances at biglaw jobs from schools in the 19-25 range?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:23 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:i know this is a digression, but just wondering...

what do you think this will do for people's chances at biglaw jobs from schools in the 19-25 range?
It wasn't good, and it probably will stay about the same. I can see biglaw firms taking the same top of the class students. If they have to expand, they will hire more at the schools they recruit the most - T14.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:26 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:i know this is a digression, but just wondering...

Put more emphasis on you graduating towards the top. In all honesty, schools in that range, you will be fine regionally. Might be a bit of a push nationally. Just do well at the top for maximum benefit/select a school that does well in a region you want to practice in. Below 19-25, you will start to flirt with the "not what you know but who you know" mantra for biglaw, but your merits will still take you far.

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:14 pm

In via email! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

artemis178

New

Post by artemis178 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:55 pm

/
Last edited by artemis178 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:18 pm

In as well by email! Status updated today to UR 2/8, I checked the status checker and it said "Decision made" and when I checked my email I was in.

Submitted early September. Below Median LSAT / above 75% GPA.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Oh man. 11/1 to 2/7

ashleyryan

New

Post by ashleyryan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:24 pm

OMG IM SO ANXIOUS!#!#EJKTLJWRKLTJKRLJTRELK

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:36 pm

whitman wrote:Oh man. 11/1 to 2/7
+1

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:23 am

RJ127 wrote:It may not shrink right away, but when people start to realize that certain schools for the most part are a scam at sticker, I believe fewer people will drop applications to schools, which will hurt MidLaw and below. The sector will be canabalized by BigLaw firms, causing shrinkage to a certain degree. The debt repayment for kids paying sticker at TTT schools is ridiculous right now, kids will opt for other options. $200k debt at a 75-85k a year job is suicide.
Lol, you only say that because it makes sense. People have been proclaiming that law school isn't worth it for like 15 years, that the lower ranked schools would have to change their business model, etc. It just hasn't happened, and if the legal hiring meltdown that's been going on for three years hasn't convinced people that $200k for a 2nd tier law school, I don't know what will.

theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Post by theturkeyisfat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:25 am

suspicious android wrote:
RJ127 wrote:It may not shrink right away, but when people start to realize that certain schools for the most part are a scam at sticker, I believe fewer people will drop applications to schools, which will hurt MidLaw and below. The sector will be canabalized by BigLaw firms, causing shrinkage to a certain degree. The debt repayment for kids paying sticker at TTT schools is ridiculous right now, kids will opt for other options. $200k debt at a 75-85k a year job is suicide.
Lol, you only say that because it makes sense. People have been proclaiming that law school isn't worth it for like 15 years, that the lower ranked schools would have to change their business model, etc. It just hasn't happened, and if the legal hiring meltdown that's been going on for three years hasn't convinced people that $200k for a 2nd tier law school, I don't know what will.
Well law school applications were apparently down around 12% this year, so people might be waking up to reality.

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 am

Still UR 11/8. Anyone else in similar straits?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

123kl

Bronze

Post by 123kl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:52 am

wiseguy33 wrote:Still UR 11/8. Anyone else in similar straits?

+1

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:46 am

I have finally progressed!!! UR 2/8.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:22 am

+1

It looks like they're doing it by dates, so we could go today. Let's hope!

Duke, don't break my heart after making me wait this long.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:24 am

10/18 still. ready for the waitlist. just do it doook.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

meepmeep123

New

Post by meepmeep123 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 am

forward wrote:
+1

It looks like they're doing it by dates, so we could go today. Let's hope!

Duke, don't break my heart after making me wait this long.
+1 11/8

artemis178

New

Post by artemis178 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:39 am

I submitted 1/11 and got updated on 2/7 so I don't think they are necessarily reviewing apps in order. Sorry for those who are still waiting.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:46 am

hipstermafia wrote:10/18 still. ready for the waitlist. just do it doook.
You are going to get in, soon.

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 am

hipstermafia wrote:10/18 still. ready for the waitlist. just do it doook.
10/12 me too...just want the cord to be cut....:(

by the way...do they update through out the day? or just in the morning?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”