Fordham 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JenDarby

Diamond

Re: Fordham 2011

Post by JenDarby » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:35 pm

bartleyrat wrote:Just got in- can't wait to start. Excited to join the class of '14
Congrats!! The fact that they are still admitting people makes me feel less awkward about just submitting my photos. Everything else I had done well in advance of the deadline, but I really don't enjoy going and having my picture taken....

OnceUponAMemo

Bronze

Post by OnceUponAMemo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
OnceUponAMemo wrote:Both textbooks and supplements. Your book lists will probably be online in the next couple weeks as teachers start uploading assignments and a syllabus on TWEN.
thanks

can you estimate how much you spent on books per semester?

I can try. It depends a bit on professor as some will assign huge textbooks that run anywhere from 110-140 new, or about 50-60 used, in addition to supplements such as hornbooks or civ pro rules etc. that might add another 30-40 or so. About commercial supplements, I always had at least 1 per class, sometimes more as exams approached and I realized I had no clue what I was doing (don't overly worry if this happens to you, it's natural and you can still do well).

All in all, I think if you buy new books it will be about $400/semester, used will be closer to $200. Also, please do not sell you books back to the bookstore after class is over. You will get a pittance compared to what you spent and you can sell most of the books used online for decent money.

I'm looking forward to welcoming you all to school in a few weeks.

rypar2341

New

Post by rypar2341 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Has anyone received their schedule yet? When I try to view it online, it says that I am not registered for this term.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:35 am

OnceUponAMemo wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:
OnceUponAMemo wrote:Both textbooks and supplements. Your book lists will probably be online in the next couple weeks as teachers start uploading assignments and a syllabus on TWEN.
thanks

I can try. It depends a bit on professor as some will assign huge textbooks that run anywhere from 110-140 new, or about 50-60 used, in addition to supplements such as hornbooks or civ pro rules etc. that might add another 30-40 or so. About commercial supplements, I always had at least 1 per class, sometimes more as exams approached and I realized I had no clue what I was doing (don't overly worry if this happens to you, it's natural and you can still do well).

All in all, I think if you buy new books it will be about $400/semester, used will be closer to $200. Also, please do not sell you books back to the bookstore after class is over. You will get a pittance compared to what you spent and you can sell most of the books used online for decent money.

thanks!

qazokm

New

Post by qazokm » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:09 am

I've heard something about Fordham telling people to switch to Windows 7 - is this true?
Does this mean I can not use my MacBookAir?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:38 am

qazokm wrote:I've heard something about Fordham telling people to switch to Windows 7 - is this true?
Where did you hear that?

OnceUponAMemo

Bronze

Post by OnceUponAMemo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:52 am

Stringer6 wrote:
qazokm wrote:I've heard something about Fordham telling people to switch to Windows 7 - is this true?
Where did you hear that?
Here is an email we got from Fordham IT a few weeks ago. Basically if you use XP, you have to upgrade.
Greetings,

Please be advised of the following information as it relates to the usage of Exam-4 for your upcoming 2011 Fall Semester.

If you are using a PC laptop computer which uses Windows XP or a previous version of Microsoft Windows as its operating system, you will have to upgrade to Windows 7 in order to use exam-4. Windows Vista operating system will continue to be supported.

If you are using a Mac Laptop which uses Mac OS-X Tiger (10.4), or a previous version of the Mac operating system you will have to upgrade to Mac OS-X Snow Leopard (10.6). Mac OS-X Leopard (10.5) will continue to be supported.

These changes come not as a result of a Fordham Law School decision, but from a vender decision that they feel will allow them to better support their product.

We are taking this time to notify our student community in consideration of the fact that this (if you are affected) is a major change that will require a upgrade of your present operating system. In some cases, if your computing device is older, and will not support the commercially available operating system upgrades, you may have to purchase a new computing device (laptop) to continue to use Exam4 for your final exams.

The Fordham Law School Help Desk is available for consultation relative to this change, but will not be able to upgrade your laptop's operating system. Please be aware that the rental of a laptop that will conform to the new exam-4 requirement through a third party vendor is an available option.

Please stop by (Stack 6) or call (1-800-761-2934) the help desk if you require more information.

NOTE TO MAC USERS:::: As of this date we are unable to advise as to the compatibility of Exam-4 with the yet to be released (Late July/2011) Mac OS-X LION (10.7) Operating System. Please be aware that at present Mac 10.7 is not supported with Exam-4. If you decide to upgrade your Mac device to this operating system you may not be able to use for your electronic exams this Fall/2011.

We will continue to update the student community as news relative to this becomes available.

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:41 am

Greetings,

These changes come not as a result of a Fordham Law School decision, but from a vender decision that they feel will allow them to better support their product.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:14 pm

OnceUponAMemo wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:
thanks

$400 a semester? Only $800 a year? Why in the world would they have $1712 as their Books allowance under the Cost of Attendance?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:15 am

so are people worried about getting Macs now? I'm planning to get a new laptop soon and am thinking maybe i should just go for a lenovo to be safe...

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:21 am

Stringer6 wrote:so are people worried about getting Macs now? I'm planning to get a new laptop soon and am thinking maybe i should just go for a lenovo to be safe...
<---glad I bought my mac laptop in June, RIGHT before the update happened. :)

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Anyone thinking of doing the flex schedule???

It looks kinda cool... plus no class on Friday :D
I just think I'd end up sleeping in every day and never getting any work done

And what is this, no civ pro first semester??

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:43 pm

NYC Law wrote:Anyone thinking of doing the flex schedule???

It looks kinda cool... plus no class on Friday :D
I just think I'd end up sleeping in every day and never getting any work done

And what is this, no civ pro first semester??
What are you talking about?? And you got your schedule already??? :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:45 pm

No, they just sent out an email offering a 'flex schedule' that has all classes past 1pm for full time day students, with the schedule (but the schedule isn't finalized for any other section).

As we anticipate your arrival in a few short weeks, we are excited to share with you an innovative section assignment option for our “night owl” full-time day program students (Sections 9 & 10).

All classes in this new "flex" schedule start no earlier than 1:00 p.m. It will also keep classes to a Monday through Thursday schedule with these sections being the only day sections with no Friday classes.

We have approximately 80 spots for this flex schedule. Below is the fall schedule layout for reference. Please use the link below to express your interest/non-interest in this option. Signing up for this section does not guarantee assignment - as we will put all those interested through a lottery. We will contact you in the very near future if you are among those that have been assigned this section assignment.

At this time, no other sections are finalized and therefore we do not have those schedules available for you. However, it can be anticipated that those sections will run anytime between the hours of 9am – 5pm, Monday thru Thursday, and 9am – 3pm on Fridays.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/fordhamschedule

Please submit your response no later than 5 pm EST on Wednesday, August 3.

We are looking forward to seeing you next month!

Sincerely,

Kathryn Espiritu
Director of Admissions

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:51 pm

i just took that survey. not interested. but i wish had that schedule in college.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Stringer6 wrote:i just took that survey. not interested. but i wish had that schedule in college.
Same here. I just got that email, and although its very tempting, I'm not really interested in having class till 10pm.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:56 pm

Gemini wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:i just took that survey. not interested. but i wish had that schedule in college.
Same here. I just got that email, and although its very tempting, I'm not really interested in having class till 10pm.
+1... So tempting, but I know myself too well. I'll just end up sleeping until 12:30 each day and won't study.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:02 pm

oh hellz no i definitely asked for the flex schedule. that shit is tight! class is only till 10pm on Monday!

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:05 pm

Would we get the same amount of classes? Because it IS weird that there's no Civ. Pro, considering the fact that I thought this was a year long course.

Also, at the ASD's, didn't they talk about some new, original class 1Ls will take??

OnceUponAMemo

Bronze

Post by OnceUponAMemo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Gemini wrote:Would we get the same amount of classes? Because it IS weird that there's no Civ. Pro, considering the fact that I thought this was a year long course.

Also, at the ASD's, didn't they talk about some new, original class 1Ls will take??

Couple quick things:

No one has Civ Pro in the fall. It is a 1 semester course at Fordham and you'll take it in the spring if you are FT, in the fall of your second year if you are an evening student. For people that switch from evening into FT, civ pro is completed during your 1L summer. Legal Research and Writing is the only full length course, although the classroom research component is completed in the first 6 or 7 weeks of school and the final brief is due right before spring break in the Spring, usually mid-march. There are 2 course loads you may have and they are very similar. For half of the FT students, you will take Criminal Law, Property and Contracts in the Fall and Torts, Civ Pro and the Con Law replacement, statutes and regulations, in the Spring. The other half of sections will have the same schedule except with torts and contracts switched. Criminal Law is a 3 credit class. Torts, Property, Civ Pro and Contracts are 5 credit classes. Con Law is 4 credits. Legal Writing is 3 credits for the year and this grade is applied to your Spring Semester GPA.

The big change in classes this year is that you guys will not take Constitutional Law as 1Ls. Instead Con Law will be a required class that you can take whenever you want over your 2L or 3L years. This class is being replaced with some statute/regulation class. The idea was to have something practical that you can use during your 1L summers as no one really uses Con Law unless you are working for a non-profit free speech advocacy group such as the ACLU. Even there, many 1st year Con Law classes do not cover free speech or the 1st Amendment as a whole since it is too big and would take too much time.

About the flex schedule, I did not choose to do it as I knew I would never really get work done and I am happy with that choice. That said, I have a friend in it who said the section definitely seemed easy and the section was full of slackers in his words so it was by comparison somewhat easier to get a good grade on the final. That might just be this person's inner-gunner coming out, I don't know them that well, but it might be informative to some of you. In reality, I don't think it makes all that much of a difference, the sections are pretty random, and there will be a lot of people in every section that work very hard. I would go with whatever position you think fits you the best, despite how often I was jealous of friends going out on Thursday night.

Hope it helps.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:26 pm

OnceUponAMemo wrote:
Gemini wrote:Would we get the same amount of classes? Because it IS weird that there's no Civ. Pro, considering the fact that I thought this was a year long course.

Couple quick things:

No one has civ pro in the fall, you'll take it in the spring if you are FT, in the fall of your second year if you are evening. For people that switch from evening into FT, civ pro is completed during your 1L summer.

About the flex schedule, I did not choose to do it as I knew I would never really get work done and I am happy with that choice. That said, I have a friend in it who said the section definitely seemed easy and the section was full of slackers in his words so it was by comparison somewhat easier to get a good grade on the final. That might just be this person's inner-gunner coming out, I don't know them that well, but it might be informative to some of you. In reality, I don't think it makes all that much of a difference, the sections are pretty random, and there will be a lot of people in every section that work very hard.

The big change in classes this year is that you guys will not take Constitutional Law as 1Ls. Instead Con Law will be a required class that you can take whenever you want over your 2L or 3L years. This class is being replaced with some statute/regulation class. The idea was to have something practical that you can use during your 1L summers as no one really uses Con Law unless you are working for a non-profit free speech advocacy group such as the ACLU. Even there, many 1st year Con Law classes do not cover free speech or the 1st Amendment as a whole since it is too big and would take too much time.
ha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

youarereadingthis

New

Post by youarereadingthis » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:44 pm

I'm definitely not interested in the Flex schedule. Night classes sound like a pain.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 pm

youarereadingthis wrote:I'm definitely not interested in the Flex schedule. Night classes sound like a pain.
I'm leaning towards this opinion as well. I am reminded of having a 9pm final during the NBA finals and having to excuse myself multiple times to run to the campus pub and catch up on the game. It was a drag.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:13 pm

From what I can recall, in the email they sent us, the sample schedule did not include Contracts. So that's why I was asking.

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:35 pm

I wish this flex schedule would go the other way - I'd love to be able to take some daytime classes as an evening student!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”