Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Fordham2014Evening

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Fordham2014Evening » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:12 pm

schooner wrote:
Fordham2014Evening wrote:Hey all,

I am an evening student who just wrapped up 1L last month. I wanted to check in and see if any of you had questions with regard to being an evening student or working through law school. Somebody was fielding similar questions last year and it was really valuable to me, so I'd like to pay it forward.

Thank you for taking questions! I'm curious --

Are you planning to stay in your current field, or are you shooting for a law firm job when you graduate? If you want to practice law, how does on campus interviews work for PT students at Fordham? Are you planning to get legal experience before you graduate (and if yes, how)?

You're very welcome.

My plans are ambiguous right now regarding whether to stay at or flee from my current employer. I fully intend to participate in OCI, and make a decision based on offers. At Fordham, evening students may choose to participate in OCI after either 1L or 2L. I elected to wait until the summer after 2L, so I have no further information. My understanding is that OCI is exactly the same for evening students as it is for day students.

My current employer offers me quasi-legal experience. I am unsure whether I will try to get more substantive legal experience before I graduate because I don't think it's necessary to accomplish my goals. However, should I accept an offer from OCI then I will likely quit my job when it begins, and pursue internships and substantive clinics during my 4th year to gain more experience. The vagueness with regard to my employment is intentional - I hope this answer helps, though.

cr1stina

Postby cr1stina » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Is anyone having issues with Fordham's financial aid section on my.fordham.edu?

I see the merit scholarships I was offered, but I don't see the grant...I emailed them last Friday but I haven't heard anything back and am starting to worry..

lawschool567

Postby lawschool567 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Did anyone else get an email from Fordham stating that they were continuing to review the WL pool and inquiring about interest level?

Lotus24

Postby Lotus24 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:59 am

I am an evening student who just wrapped up 1L last month. I wanted to check in and see if any of you had questions with regard to being an evening student or working through law school. Somebody was fielding similar questions last year and it was really valuable to me, so I'd like to pay it forward.

Hi there,

I've been accepted to the Evening program off the waitlist. I'm super excited! I currently live in D.C. and will be moving up to NYC for school/work. I'm curious about the evening program-do most students in that program have full-time jobs? Do any have part-time? I ask because I'll be figuring out my moves in terms of whether to pursue full-time or part-time work with my previous employer in NYC, who I maintain a great relationship with, or whether I should wait until after the 1st semester...I am planning to transition to the Day program after the first year as well, do you find that many evening students take that route?

Thanks for answering any questions!

mabad

Postby mabad » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:19 pm

lawschool567 wrote:Did anyone else get an email from Fordham stating that they were continuing to review the WL pool and inquiring about interest level?

ha..NO! and I wish I had..howeved I did sent them a rather desperate email on the 14 prett much just saying that i'd do whatever it takes to go to fordham..so...i think they know.

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Hello all,

Finished 1L as a full time day student about a month ago and now looking forward to next year. If anyone has questions, I am happy to answer them if I can as I looked on here a good amount last year and found the current student's responses to be highly informative.

Briefly I will say that I am extremely happy with my choice to attend Fordham, probably more so than I was at this time last year. The people really are terrific, students and professors both are pretty easy-going and yet very intelligent. I also am pleased with the CPC and the multitude of extra-curricular options there are.

Plus, you get to call it F.U. Law. C'mon now.

Who's got questions?

Lolek

Postby Lolek » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:12 pm

OnceUponAMemo wrote:Hello all,

Finished 1L as a full time day student about a month ago and now looking forward to next year. If anyone has questions, I am happy to answer them if I can as I looked on here a good amount last year and found the current student's responses to be highly informative.

Briefly I will say that I am extremely happy with my choice to attend Fordham, probably more so than I was at this time last year. The people really are terrific, students and professors both are pretty easy-going and yet very intelligent. I also am pleased with the CPC and the multitude of extra-curricular options there are.

Who's got questions?

How were the professors for you? (specifically in regards to class level of difficulty, etc.)

Do a lot of people commute?

What are you doing this summer?

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:10 am

Lolek wrote:
OnceUponAMemo wrote:Hello all,

Who's got questions?

How were the professors for you? (specifically in regards to class level of difficulty, etc.)

Do a lot of people commute?

What are you doing this summer?

I think overall the professors I had were terrific. Everyone jives a little bit differently, but I think our faculty are very talented and approachable. I had lunch or dinner with every single professor this semester at least once and they are happy to help. Given that, I did have 1 professor who was fairly horrific and a couple that I was not a fan of. Some of my peers though loved these professors and a few I liked were disliked by others, so it really is about people's personalities. About difficulty level, the curve dictates grading overall for the most part. That said, there are certainly some professors that try to write a very difficult test in order to separate students and make grading easier. Conversely, there are some tests that everyone comes out feeling great about. I personally would rather have a harder test as then you know generally what you may have done wrong and how to improve, on an easy test the prof is splitting hairs and forced to choose whoever writes the language most appealing to them which seems like a very subjective system of grading. In general, professors give grades to the highest percentage point allowed by the curve as well.

About commuting, it sort of depends on your definition of what a commute is. The majority of people live around Manhattan with the biggest concentrations in the upper west side, mid town/port authority area, and lower east side. I personally live in NJ though and have friends that live in Harlem, Queens, and Brooklyn. There are relatively few people that live on campus, as no one really drives though, it's easy to go to events at school meet other people outside of class.

About this summer, without giving away too much info, I'm interning at a public defender's office (one of my top choices) and getting a decent stipend. I found CPC to be very helpful in getting jobs and I was done with the search very early on. I also only applied to a small number of places before getting this offer and so I did not interview much or go through a prolonged process. The only people who had any genuine issues getting a job they were happy with for 1L summer are those that slept on the process or put all their eggs in a single basket.

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:14 am

I got a PM with a bunch of great questions and have some semi-detailed and hopefully informed responses that I think might be helpful to others to add. I am cutting and pasting the questions and answers here if anyone is interested (with personal info deleted). Any others should feel free to post or PM with questions.

1 -How competitive did you find the students? Just went to the admitted student day a few days ago and the students interrupted each other to during the career planning session to fight over Fordham biglaw percentages.

2 -What activities would you recommend students get involved with? Are there any activities that I can participate in prior to orientation in order to meet people? And do most people make most of their friends in their sections?

3-Do most students type notes on computers or hand-write them? I have a MacBook Pro- should this work well? Is MS OneNote a better program to type notes on than MS Word for law school?

4-Is 33-40% a reasonable estimate for the % of students in the first year class who will successfully receive biglaw job offers? The numbers on the Fordham website for the class of '10 seem to indicate this but I'm wondering if you think these numbers are accurate.

5-How does the Socratic method work at Fordham? Do profs typically call on one person and make them answer questions for the whole class period or do they only require you to answer questions for a short period of time?

6- Is it difficult to find paying internships for the summer after 1L year? What are you doing this summer?

7- What advice can you offer in terms of doing well your first year?

8- Is there anything you can think of that you wish you knew prior to coming to the school? (e.g., things that you wish you had spent more time on (or less), or something about on campus recruiting that you wish you knew)?

9- Do students tend to form study groups? Did you form one and would you recommend doing so?

Hey,
Hey,
Let me just preface all of this by saying all of these responses are largely anecdotal and based solely off of what I've noticed at Fordham. I am also largely pleased with the school and feel great about my choice so if you choose to take my positivity with a grain of salt, I wouldn't blame you.

1. That said, let me answer your competition question first. That story about those kids could not be further from the truth about kids at Fordham and honestly I kinda wished I saw that so I could fully put them in their place and laugh at them. If they were in my section they would have been laughed out of the room. I think students here are very bright and often self-motivators, who want to do well and work pretty hard to do well. However, the students are extremely down to earth and not out to get each other or super competitive and full of themselves. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple crazies out there and a few kids who have had a couple too many drinks from the ego punch bowl, but truly, the students are so easy to get along with and it is a very laid back atmosphere. It is as competitive as you want it to be, but you won't feel too suffocated by the OCI-firm herd mentality much at all in my experience.

2. I would recommend you get involved in whatever activities interest you. I realize that might sound somewhat flippant, but there are so many informal activities and groups that it is very easy to get involved. There are a couple of those big group sign-up days and I still am on way more list serve's than I have any interest or capacity in participating in. For IP, CLIP (Center for Law and Intellectual Policy (I think)), is a organization run by some of the IP professors that had a few open houses. I personally know absolutely nothing more than that about them, but it is an option. The best way to meet people right away would be Public Service Day (not sure if that's the name, but it's close), or the SBA organized orientation bar nights. Public service day is a day of events you can volunteer for organized by PIRC, the Public Interest Resource Center. Every night of orientation there are bar specials for local bars. I went to a couple of these and they were a pretty good time. In retrospect, I would go to more, you certainly don't need to pay much attention to the school organized orientation events. They try, but these are fairly to completely useless. I would get involved in 1 or 2 other activities to meet people in other sections, but the truth is you will likely spend the vast majority of 1L year with the people in your section.

3. Most students by far type notes, but there are a few teachers that don't allow laptops in the room. Also after I had one of these professors first semester, a lot more students took hand-written notes 2nd semester. I think it's just personal preference and am much more comfortable and can take quicker notes if I type. About having a MacBook, I have, and currently use a regular MacBook and haven't had a single problem. In fact, I think more people had problems who had PC's than MacBooks and I bet the majority of people had Apple computers. Also, I never used OneNote, but I don't think it could possibly make any difference what note taking software you use. I used notepad 1st semester, then switched to regular word 2nd semester, again personal preference. I would say not to switch to a new system that you aren't comfortable with. It would be annoying to try and learn a whole new system of shortcuts and functions while typing notes and reviewing.

4. So this is an interesting question. I am starting to look into all the OCI stuff right now. At a panel the other night, they said about 40% of the class gets a position through big law. That might very well be accurate. In my experience talking with a bunch of 2L's and my counselor at the Career Planning Center, I think the number is generally top 33%ish. There are plenty of stories about those who are below that, but nailed the interview, but to be comfortable going in to OCI, I think being in the top 33% is the general benchmark. I should also add that I think our CPC counselors are pretty knowledgeable and have the student's interests at heart. They also try to be very upfront and provide us with a lot of resources that other schools might not make so available. Of course, getting a job comes down to individual effort, but I have been very pleased with the support from CPC thus far, now I'm just hoping it continues through the fall!

5. Cold-calling is very teacher specific. The vast majority of teachers do cold-call, but are not excessively harsh and generally are just doing so to foster class discussion. I have never seen a cold call that lasted a whole class, even the teacher's with prolonged questioning don't last longer than 30-40 minutes. This is not 30-40 minutes of rapid fire questioning though. It's a professor working through a case and coming back to the same person for a series of 5 or 6 questions. I wouldn't sweat the cold-calling though, it's a little nerve-wracking the first time, but once legal writing comes along and people just don't have a clue what they are talking about, you will realize it truly does not matter.

6. Finding paying internships is definitely difficult for 1L year, although I think this is true for pretty much every law school in the country. Fordham does do a decent job of providing stipends for the summer though. The Stein Scholar program provides $4,000 stipends for public interest students accepted into the program and the Fordham Student Sponsored Fellowship provides $4,000 stipends to students who help put on the yearly auction. There are also some independent scholarships available. I will note though that these stipends do not cover judicial internships and not every person who puts in the work for FSSF gets the stipend. Most do, but I think they overstated the stipend and made it sounds more like a guaranty. I do have a couple friends with paid positions, but the majority are on a stipend or unpaid.

I'm going to combine my responses to 7, 8, and 9 into a single response as they are pretty similar for me. For what advice during first year, I would look up arrow and megatttron's guides here on TLS. I can't offer much more than they did. I did pretty well (solidly in top 25% to avoid specifics), but am no where near high enough to give the best advice in this regard. I do have a couple friends who are at the very top of the class though. In general, the one thing I would do differently that may have made a difference is review more throughout the year. I should have reviewed weekly at least to make sure I understood material and then for anything I could not articulate in my own words decently, I think it would be good to go to office hours and hit the supplements. I know some people on TLS advocate against using supplements and I can honestly say this advice is terrible. Maybe for the few people who can internalize and dominate issues based on class alone, supplements are irrelevant, but for the rest of us supplements are key. Also I found being in a study group and doing as many practice tests as possible to be very helpful. Students do easily form study groups so I would not worry about that. Talking through issues with others makes you realize topics that you are less than clear on. Make sure not to over worry about memorizing each case, as this is unlikely to help you on the exam.

jtgnyc

Postby jtgnyc » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:03 am

OnceUponAMemo-

Thank you so much for your generosity and time. You just made me completely confident in my choice of Fordham in the fall!

Best of luck this summer!

Fordham2014Evening

Postby Fordham2014Evening » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:29 pm

Lotus24 wrote:

Hi there,

I've been accepted to the Evening program off the waitlist. I'm super excited! I currently live in D.C. and will be moving up to NYC for school/work. I'm curious about the evening program-do most students in that program have full-time jobs? Do any have part-time? I ask because I'll be figuring out my moves in terms of whether to pursue full-time or part-time work with my previous employer in NYC, who I maintain a great relationship with, or whether I should wait until after the 1st semester...I am planning to transition to the Day program after the first year as well, do you find that many evening students take that route?

Thanks for answering any questions!

Some students have full-time jobs, some have part-time jobs, and some have no jobs at all. Most students in the evening program do transfer to the day program after their 1L year, but many do not. The students who have non-legal part time jobs, and those who do not work, are generally the ones who transfer. Many students who started intending to transfer to the day program and began work as paralegals decided to stay in the evening division and gain experience+money through law school. It's really up to you. Personally, I am a huge proponent of gaining work experience throughout law school because I think it makes you far more desirable to employers. I worked full-time throughout my 1L year and will continue to do so. I found there was no correlation between my classmates' grades and whether or not they were working.

lawschool567

Postby lawschool567 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:07 pm

In off the WL! Full time. PUMPED!!!

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Officially withdrew from the waitlist today - good luck to those still waiting.

youarereadingthis

Postby youarereadingthis » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:23 pm

It's official. I'm attending Fordham Law day division! I'm looking for a place now. I was at admitted students day last week and enjoyed it so much, it just feels right. Our class is going to be awesome and despite the little quarreling about the percentages during the career planning session, I have a very good feeling about the people I've met and am looking forward to our first semester together.

I'm also reading Whose Monet? (our summer reading) and enjoying the thought provoking issues it brings up.

I'm very excited to be part of this school and look forward to the next three years.

:mrgreen: Sorry for this campy post, but I'm so happy with my decision and excited for this next stage. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: See you all soon. Cheers! :mrgreen:

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:34 pm

youarereadingthis wrote:It's official. I'm attending Fordham Law day division! I'm looking for a place now. I was at admitted students day last week and enjoyed it so much, it just feels right. Our class is going to be awesome and despite the little quarreling about the percentages during the career planning session, I have a very good feeling about the people I've met and am looking forward to our first semester together.

I'm also reading Whose Monet? (our summer reading) and enjoying the thought provoking issues it brings up.

I'm very excited to be part of this school and look forward to the next three years.

:mrgreen: Sorry for this campy post, but I'm so happy with my decision and excited for this next stage. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: See you all soon. Cheers! :mrgreen:

I would be happier if I got more money... but ultimately, I chose Fordham because I liked the community a LOT better (over BC).

youarereadingthis

Postby youarereadingthis » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:07 pm

Gemini wrote:
youarereadingthis wrote:It's official. I'm attending Fordham Law day division! I'm looking for a place now. I was at admitted students day last week and enjoyed it so much, it just feels right. Our class is going to be awesome and despite the little quarreling about the percentages during the career planning session, I have a very good feeling about the people I've met and am looking forward to our first semester together.

I would be happier if I got more money... but ultimately, I chose Fordham because I liked the community a LOT better (over BC).

Although it may be intangible, I really believe Fordham's sense of community and unique identity in NYC is really it's greatest asset. After attending the undergrad institution, I believe Fordham's alumni network is far more tight knit than any other school in the city. Plus, in NYC, Fordham University and Fordham Law carries far more prestige than many higher ranked schools in other parts of the country.

In my opinion, regarding the US News and World report, the school is severely underrated on a national level due to its high school-esque facilities and appearance. I believe the "ranking" of the school will jump to the top 20 once the new building is completed (sadly in 2014 right after we graduate). I think the law school building is the chief obstacle in its brand recognition, as well as attracting more competitive students from all over the nation with higher lsat scores.

I chose this school over Vandy with little hesitation for these very reasons (though I could understand and respect those who would choose Vandy over Fordham for the very same reasons I cited).

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:15 pm

youarereadingthis wrote:
Gemini wrote:

Although it may be intangible, I really believe Fordham's sense of community and unique identity in NYC is really it's greatest asset. After attending the undergrad institution, I believe Fordham's alumni network is far more tight knit than any other school in the city. Plus, in NYC, Fordham University and Fordham Law carries far more prestige than many higher ranked schools in other parts of the country.

In my opinion, regarding the US News and World report, the school is severely underrated on a national level due to its high school-esque facilities and appearance. I believe the "ranking" of the school will jump to the top 20 once the new building is completed (sadly in 2014 right after we graduate). I think the law school building is the chief obstacle in its brand recognition, as well as attracting more competitive students from all over the nation with higher lsat scores.

I chose this school over Vandy with little hesitation for these very reasons (though I could understand and respect those who would choose Vandy over Fordham for the very same reasons I cited).

I chose Fordham over Vandy last week! I definitely see what you mean about community. I was there for one day last week -- totally lol'd again when you brought up the percentages spat -- but I could really feel that it was a very special place. I'm so excited for classes to start and to meet you all NEXT MONTH!

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:08 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
youarereadingthis wrote:
Gemini wrote:

I chose Fordham over Vandy last week! I definitely see what you mean about community. I was there for one day last week -- totally lol'd again when you brought up the percentages spat -- but I could really feel that it was a very special place. I'm so excited for classes to start and to meet you all NEXT MONTH!

Congrats to you all and I look forward to seeing you on campus last year. The community really is terrific and alumni will go out of their way (at least the one's I've met) to talk with you and help out.

For NY, Fordham is a terrific choice and please don't let the rankings overly influence any opinions. I chose Fordham over Cornell for a host of reasons and know many here who chose it over other T-15/20 schools. Also about Whose Monet, you should read it, and if it helps your nerves or whatever, answer all the questions that are included after each chapter. But don't go crazy with it, they told us we would have a test on it or something (which apparently did happen to the class 2 yrs ago), but we never did. Some people showed up to orientation with about 50-100 post-its in the book and were ready to gun from day 1. This was useless and highly amusing to the rest of us.

Congrats on your decision and have a great summer of relaxation!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:27 pm

I dont know how that's amusing lol. I don't wanna be a gunner (as a matter of fact, I believe I'm too lazy to be) but seeing people so prepared kinda intimidates me.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Just in because of my June LSAT 167, 3.7 10 k scholarship

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 pm

What was the percentages spat? I couldn't make it to the ASD :|

quantumk

Postby quantumk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:47 am

Do people actually get rejections, or do all people who are not accepted just become waitlisted?

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:45 pm

NYC Law wrote:What was the percentages spat? I couldn't make it to the ASD :|

While the Career Planning director was talking, one student asked a kind of confusing question about how Fordham students fared at OCI and at getting BigLawl jobs. (I think. I was a bit zoned out while he talked.) Career Planning director didn't really answer the question, mainly because she didn't really understand what he asked.

Then, a girl asked pretty much the same question. Much more clearly and much more belligerently. CP Person basically said, "The percentages are on our website, you can see how many people got Big Law jobs there." Said girl (who has probably never explored that much of the CP website) then got all flustered and said that she wanted more than those percentages! Who's hiring Fordham grads? Which offices of these big firms! GIVE ME MOAR DETAILZZZ!

Once the (IMHO, very clearly marked) list on the website (that you'd find if you did any kind of research) was pointed out, gunner girl asked a question or something, and some dude also visiting that day burst into the conversation saying something along the lines of, "Does it really matter who is hiring whom? We're here to learn and to gain knowledge. The jobs will happen in the end." Everyone looked at him in shock and awe - who would dare interrupt the CP session but a gunner - and laughed and reacted with much disdain.

That's how I remember it, at least. My quotes obviously aren't direct. We all went and had a BBQ and beer next, so everyone was happy in the end, I think.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:48 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
NYC Law wrote:What was the percentages spat? I couldn't make it to the ASD :|

While the Career Planning director was talking, one student asked a kind of confusing question about how Fordham students fared at OCI and at getting BigLawl jobs. (I think. I was a bit zoned out while he talked.) Career Planning director didn't really answer the question, mainly because she didn't really understand what he asked.

Then, a girl asked pretty much the same question. Much more clearly and much more belligerently. CP Person basically said, "The percentages are on our website, you can see how many people got Big Law jobs there." Said girl (who has probably never explored that much of the CP website) then got all flustered and said that she wanted more than those percentages! Who's hiring Fordham grads? Which offices of these big firms! GIVE ME MOAR DETAILZZZ!

Once the (IMHO, very clearly marked) list on the website (that you'd find if you did any kind of research) was pointed out, gunner girl asked a question or something, and some dude also visiting that day burst into the conversation saying something along the lines of, "Does it really matter who is hiring whom? We're here to learn and to gain knowledge. The jobs will happen in the end." Everyone looked at him in shock and awe - who would dare interrupt the CP session but a gunner - and laughed and reacted with much disdain.

That's how I remember it, at least. My quotes obviously aren't direct. We all went and had a BBQ and beer next, so everyone was happy in the end, I think.

:mrgreen:

Looks like the odds are high of an easy curve next year.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:12 pm

:lol: :lol:

Gunners: start the tension between people before law school even starts. CHECK

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”