Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Stringer6

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:35 am

By public transportation I believe there is a bus that get's you to Fordham in less than 30 minutes.

not bad, depending on how often the bus comes

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:36 am

Just in case you missed it, I posted:

I see no connecting bridge that goes into the city from Astoria. Also, you basically have to get from Astoria--> East side --> West side. Not fun.

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:39 am

Gemini wrote:Just in case you missed it, I posted:

I see no connecting bridge that goes into the city from Astoria. Also, you basically have to get from Astoria--> East side --> West side. Not fun.

You can get to the 59th street bridge from Astoria.

Time is rough estimate depending on where you will live http://maps.google.com/maps?hq=http://maps.google.com/help/maps/directions/driving/mapleft.kml&f=d&dirflg=d&ll=39.300299,-98.789062&z=4&utm_campaign=en&utm_medium=ha&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk-dd&utm_term=directions%20from
Last edited by Zarathustraspoke on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:47 am

Gemini wrote:How close is Astoria to Fordham? I'm not a frequenter of Ast/LIC so I'm not even sure what trains go there.

You can take the N to 57th and walk like 10 min., or transfer to the 1/2.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:50 am

aaaaaah wrote:
Gemini wrote:How close is Astoria to Fordham? I'm not a frequenter of Ast/LIC so I'm not even sure what trains go there.

Transferring to the 1/2 wouldn't be worth it, plus you'd spend more money on the train... This sounds like an alright idea, but it would be terrible during the winter.

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:50 am

I edited my post above, check out the link.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:52 am

OK, so Astoria/LIC is close to the 59th Street bridge (down by Queensborough Plaza which has a nice new greenway for walkers and cyclists). As for getting to Fordham, the last time I checked the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges connect you the East Side of Manhattan so I am not sure why living further away and still being on the East Side makes any more sense.

Trains to Astoria include the N, Q mainly with the E, and R along Steinway. Astoria is about 20 minutes away from 59th and 7th ave on the N,Q trains. LIC/Queens West is mainly accessible by the 7, N, Q, and F trains depending on where you live in LIC.

LIC is more expensive, but really very nice if somewhat empty, but certainly no more expensive than Fort Greene which is and always has been astronomical. If someone is telling you that they have an apartment in Ft. Greene for under 1900 they are really in Clinton Hill or Downtown Brooklyn (I will accept it if they live on Myrtle Ave near the projects or under the overpass, too, but I don't think of that as being Ft. Greene).

A word of wisdom to those looking in BK, do not live off the G line, you will regret it.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:55 am

Transferring to the 1/2 wouldn't be worth it, plus you'd spend more money on the train

?

A word of wisdom to those looking in BK, do not live off the G line, you will regret it.

lol

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:57 am

Stringer6 wrote:

lol

Yeah, 4 years of that short bus style transportation shit was enough for me.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:00 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:I edited my post above, check out the link.

Eh, I think I'd rather just live on the West side. Plus, that map said to take the Q from Astoria into the city. It's definitely outdated. Q's last stop is 57th st in the city.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Gemini wrote:
Zarathustraspoke wrote:I edited my post above, check out the link.

Eh, I think I'd rather just live on the West side. Plus, that map said to take the Q from Astoria into the city. It's definitely outdated. Q's last stop is 57th st in the city.

Only on the weekends. Your info is outdated, actually. It used to be the N and W in Astoria with the Q only going as far as 59th. Then they re-routed the trains when they had the last big reshuffling of the lines. Now, the N and the Q go to Astoria on weekdays and the Q stops at 57th on weekends. I took the Q this morning.

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:16 pm

I've been living in South Park Slope for the last year and taking the R -> D -> Herald Square. The D to Fordham would be a few more stops plus a walk. I personally wouldn't want to do that. It's already 45 minutes to 34th St. At night, this can get worse and take upwards of an hour on really bad nights. With the study schedule that I know we're all really excited about, I would be pretty cautious of anything that requires a transfer...I'll have to think deeply about even staying in Brooklyn.

Lotus24

Postby Lotus24 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:02 pm

I applied late in the cycle: (early Feb) and still haven't heard a decision!!! I checked in a few weeks ago via email and they said I should have a decision soon.

Why would it be taking them so long? Should I just assume it's a no?

:(

save the world

Postby save the world » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Lotus24 wrote:I applied late in the cycle: (early Feb) and still haven't heard a decision!!! I checked in a few weeks ago via email and they said I should have a decision soon.

In the same boat. :(

Lotus24

Postby Lotus24 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:30 pm

save the world wrote:
Lotus24 wrote:I applied late in the cycle: (early Feb) and still haven't heard a decision!!! I checked in a few weeks ago via email and they said I should have a decision soon.

Well at least I'm not alone...Is this part of their wait and watch strategy to see who's putting down deposits? I think their first deposit deadline was April 15th, so they must have some idea by now of who's going and who's not from their first couple acceptance cycles. Fordham is my first choice, I'm wondering if I should write them and tell them so? I checked in on the application a few weeks ago but now that I have all the information from my other choices I want them to know how much I want to go there!

patallica22

Postby patallica22 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Gemini wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:

Transferring to the 1/2 wouldn't be worth it, plus you'd spend more money on the train... This sounds like an alright idea, but it would be terrible during the winter.

Living uptown is another option folks.... you can in many cases find a room in Harlem or Wash Heights(and if you're lucky even Morningside) that are cheaper than Astoria/LIC or Ft. Greene/Boreum Hill etc. Even if you're way up in the Heights, and have to take the C, it would at most be a 30 min subway ride and 15 minutes walk from the Park.

Also, subway in nyc is same price no matter if you're taking one ride or transferring 10 times.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

patallica22 wrote:Living uptown is another option folks.... you can in many cases find a room in Harlem or Wash Heights(and if you're lucky even Morningside) that are cheaper than Astoria/LIC or Ft. Greene/Boreum Hill etc. Even if you're way up in the Heights, and have to take the C, it would at most be a 30 min subway ride and 15 minutes walk from the Park.

Also, subway in nyc is same price no matter if you're taking one ride or transferring 10 times.

I keep thinking about doing this, but the problem is that I would be really far from everything else that I do in the city. A friend of mine lived in Inwood and he complained about how he take to take a backpack full of crap everywhere because it took so long to get home. I guess I am just lazy and because I don't know the lay of the land uptown I just put it off.

The price is the same, but transferring creates the opportunity to have your commute lengthen significantly and unpredictably. For three years I had to transfer twice, three trains total, to get to work and it was a real hassle. You cannot put a price on getting somewhere without a transfer.

save the world

Postby save the world » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Lotus24 wrote:
save the world wrote:

Well at least I'm not alone...Is this part of their wait and watch strategy to see who's putting down deposits? I think their first deposit deadline was April 15th, so they must have some idea by now of who's going and who's not from their first couple acceptance cycles. Fordham is my first choice, I'm wondering if I should write them and tell them so? I checked in on the application a few weeks ago but now that I have all the information from my other choices I want them to know how much I want to go there!

It may be. I'm not too sure - they could just be slow like some other schools at getting decisions out. I just emailed regarding the status of my application, they said it is still under review and that it takes 6-8 weeks from the time it was complete... It's been 7 weeks today. I guess I'll find out in the next week. Perhaps their second deadline is May 1st?

patallica22

Postby patallica22 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:05 pm

akcorps wrote:
patallica22 wrote:Living uptown is another option folks.... you can in many cases find a room in Harlem or Wash Heights(and if you're lucky even Morningside) that are cheaper than Astoria/LIC or Ft. Greene/Boreum Hill etc. Even if you're way up in the Heights, and have to take the C, it would at most be a 30 min subway ride and 15 minutes walk from the Park.

I keep thinking about doing this, but the problem is that I would be really far from everything else that I do in the city. A friend of mine lived in Inwood and he complained about how he take to take a backpack full of crap everywhere because it took so long to get home. I guess I am just lazy and because I don't know the lay of the land uptown I just put it off.

The price is the same, but transferring creates the opportunity to have your commute lengthen significantly and unpredictably. For three years I had to transfer twice, three trains total, to get to work and it was a real hassle. You cannot put a price on getting somewhere without a transfer.

I hear ya, and as a commuter student living in Queens while going to NYU, I definitely feel your pain on transfers...

That being said, if you live anywhere in the heights or west harlem, your transfer issue is nil as long as you don't mind walking a bit....Also, the time it takes you to get from either of those place to the UWS is almost invariably less that it will be from anywhere in Brooklyn or Queens.

It is certainly is a hassle to socialize somewhere downtown and then commute up to Wash Heights or Inwood... but is probably no different worse than it will be to have to do the UWS-Downtown-Queens/Brooklyn triumvirate

Lotus24

Postby Lotus24 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:20 pm

save the world wrote:
Lotus24 wrote:
save the world wrote:

It may be. I'm not too sure - they could just be slow like some other schools at getting decisions out. I just emailed regarding the status of my application, they said it is still under review and that it takes 6-8 weeks from the time it was complete... It's been 7 weeks today. I guess I'll find out in the next week. Perhaps their second deadline is May 1st?

I submitted in early Feb so it's been 10-11 weeks for me now. Do you think its appropriate to write an email saying Fordham is my first choice? Or is that preemptive?

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:22 pm

neptunestar wrote:
fakemoney wrote:Just got in off the waitlist. Not sure for which program (Pretty sure it's the evening). But after a grueling, grueling wait, I'm pretty excited.

How did they notify you about getting in off the WL?

is fakemoney a flame? I haven't heard anybody else say this.

patallica22

Postby patallica22 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:26 pm

It may be. I'm not too sure - they could just be slow like some other schools at getting decisions out. I just emailed regarding the status of my application, they said it is still under review and that it takes 6-8 weeks from the time it was complete... It's been 7 weeks today. I guess I'll find out in the next week. Perhaps their second deadline is May 1st?[/quote]

I submitted in early Feb so it's been 10-11 weeks for me now. Do you think its appropriate to write an email saying Fordham is my first choice? Or is that preemptive?[/quote]

Why preemptive? If it's your first choice, they should damn well know it...especially at point in time where I'm sure you have to make decisions based on other school notifications.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:39 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
neptunestar wrote:
fakemoney wrote:Just got in off the waitlist. Not sure for which program (Pretty sure it's the evening). But after a grueling, grueling wait, I'm pretty excited.

I'm also wondering how you wouldn't know to which program you've been accepted?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Lawst wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
neptunestar wrote:

I'm also wondering how you wouldn't know to which program you've been accepted?

Yes, fakemoney is either a flame or terribly confused. You have to choose one of the two programs, when you apply. If you get WL'd or dinged from one program you can ask to be considered for the other.

ETA: :lol: And also, the status checker and email both say which program (yes, I did save mine. YES I DID.)

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:24 am

Last edited by fakemoney on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”