Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hipstermafia

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:10 pm

2011Cycle wrote:Is Fordham on rolling admissions? Have any regular decision candidates received a final decision? thanks

yes, and yes.

2011Cycle

Postby 2011Cycle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks

went complete 10/4

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:37 pm

2011Cycle wrote:Thanks

went complete 10/4

good luck!!

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Sent my app in yesterday. Sadly, I have to wait for my LSAT score to update before I can go complete, but at least that much is done. Congrats to everyone else who got in, and good luck to those still waiting!

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:29 pm

2011Cycle wrote:Is Fordham on rolling admissions? Have any regular decision candidates received a final decision? thanks

Yes to part one, and part 2 requires a little more explanation. Applying by a certain date automatically makes you and a non-binding early action candidate (NOT the same thing as early decision). So, anyone who has received a decision had to have applied "early action" since the deadline for that isn't until sometime in October I think. Basically it just guarantees you a decision by some time in December.

2011Cycle

Postby 2011Cycle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:47 pm

JennBNYC wrote:

Yes to part one, and part 2 requires a little more explanation. Applying by a certain date automatically makes you and a non-binding early action candidate (NOT the same thing as early decision). So, anyone who has received a decision had to have applied "early action" since the deadline for that isn't until sometime in October I think. Basically it just guarantees you a decision by some time in December.

Thanks.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:43 pm

username99 wrote:What made it so pain-in-the-assy last yr?

Similar to last year, there were people who applied as early as possible and there were some who got in right away. For the majority, however, there was quite a long wait. I think they might have been late on their EA decisions as well, but I don't completely remember.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:47 pm

username99 wrote:What's the general consensus for what numbers are needed?

For those of you who don't know about it, lawschoolnumbers.com can be a helpful source of info as far as numbers go. The data is self-selective, though, so take it with a grain of salt. You can also see when large batches of acceptances, denials, and WLs came out.

Here is the graph from last year:

http://fordham.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

Don't be fooled, however, by the LSAT numbers listed on the Fordham info page. Use the numbers from Fordham's website:
http://law.fordham.edu/admissions/admissions.htm

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:18 pm

For those who applied, how long did it take for them to acknowledge receipt of your app?

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:21 pm

msch0i wrote:For those who applied, how long did it take for them to acknowledge receipt of your app?

I applied 9/5, got the status checker 9/14, acknowledged as complete 9/17. Unfortunately I'm still one of those who doesn't have a decision yet. :wink:

NYC1010

Postby NYC1010 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Taking the LSAT on Saturday, coming from top 15 Liberal Arts college, did my Junior year at top 5 University, have around a 3.5 GPA...

What do you guys think the lowest LSAT score i'll get in with is? 166? 168?

Also, do you all trust this predictor?

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm
Last edited by NYC1010 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:10 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
username99 wrote:What's the general consensus for what numbers are needed?

Use the numbers from Fordham's website:
http://law.fordham.edu/admissions/admissions.htm

This is the correct answer for sure. Day division medians for the class of 2013 are 166, 3.62; evening division medians are 164, 3.52. The day division medians have been consistent for the past few years. The evening division's medians have increased for two main reasons: 1) admissions standards are generally higher today, and 2) the evening division was cut in half last year to adjust for the USNews alteration of its ranking system, mainly that evening division LSAT and GPAs are now counted toward the overall medians in USNews' scoring. If you followed the rankings last year, you saw that GW, which adjusted its evening program accordingly, shot up the rankings to no. 20, while Fordham slipped to 34. Unfortunately that's just how the game goes.

username99

Postby username99 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:17 pm

167/3.47...chances?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:41 pm

NYC1010 wrote:Taking the LSAT on Saturday, coming from top 15 Liberal Arts college, did my Junior year at top 5 University, have around a 3.5 GPA...

What do you guys think the lowest LSAT score i'll get in with is? 166? 168?

Also, do you all trust this predictor?

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

I think it's a year or two behind in the numbers, but it's a fairly good indication of how you will do, imo. Assuming of course you're the typical applicant with average softs/no disciplinary history.

NYC1010

Postby NYC1010 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:12 pm

softs? please explain---rather new here

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:13 pm

NYC1010 wrote:softs? please explain---rather new here

softs = non-quantitative items like extracurricular activities, awards, recommendations, etc...

NYC1010

Postby NYC1010 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:18 pm

softs = non-quantitative items like extracurricular activities, awards, recommendations, etc....

Yeah mine are average... Wondering if i should even send recs to fordham, considering they don't require them and i read an interview with the assistant dean who said they found most all recs generic....

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:22 pm

NYC1010 wrote:
softs = non-quantitative items like extracurricular activities, awards, recommendations, etc....

Yeah mine are average... Wondering if i should even send recs to fordham, considering they don't require them and i read an interview with the assistant dean who said they found most all recs generic....

I did. I feel like it can only help. If they don't want to read them, or think they're generic, they'll probably just toss them? BUT if they're really good, then they could help...

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:36 pm

NYC1010 wrote:

You should absolutely send in recommendations. Don't fall for the "optional" trap on any application. You have to remember that admissions people look at you application as representative of your best ability. So make sure there are no mistakes and you don't take advantage of everything available to you. While it is mostly a numbers game, a lot of you will have similar numbers. You need to have something that sets you apart and recommendations are a way to do that.

NYC1010

Postby NYC1010 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:25 pm

You should absolutely send in recommendations. Don't fall for the "optional" trap on any application. You have to remember that admissions people look at you application as representative of your best ability. So make sure there are no mistakes and you don't take advantage of everything available to you. While it is mostly a numbers game, a lot of you will have similar numbers. You need to have something that sets you apart and recommendations are a way to do that.

I'm not so sure---clearly i can see why recommendations are beneficial in the application process, but Fordham seems to dislike them... My recommendations would only be average, as i have not firmly established relationships with specific professors. They would certainly be positive, but not glowing. See below:

Interview with Stephen Brown, Associate Dean of Admissions at the Fordham University School of Law

Applicants often have difficulty choosing and approaching potential recommenders. Can you offer some general advice regarding letters of recommendation?

Fordham does not require letters of recommendation. We find that they are usually too generic to be of use, and often the recommender barely knows the applicant. If there is a perceived weakness in the application, however, it can be useful to have a recommender explain it. If there are real strengths or things that the recommender an so to add to the student’s story – that is a plus

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:50 pm

NYC1010 wrote:

I'm not so sure---clearly i can see why recommendations are beneficial in the application process, but Fordham seems to dislike them... My recommendations would only be average, as i have not firmly established relationships with specific professors. They would certainly be positive, but not glowing. See below:

Interview with Stephen Brown, Associate Dean of Admissions at the Fordham University School of Law

Applicants often have difficulty choosing and approaching potential recommenders. Can you offer some general advice regarding letters of recommendation?

Fordham does not require letters of recommendation. We find that they are usually too generic to be of use, and often the recommender barely knows the applicant. If there is a perceived weakness in the application, however, it can be useful to have a recommender explain it. If there are real strengths or things that the recommender an so to add to the student’s story – that is a plus

He never says that if they are generic to not sent them. Like previous poster said, don't fall for the 'optional' trap. If they don't read them, no harm done. If you don't submit them and they start to wonder why... harm done.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:51 pm

NYC1010 wrote:

I understand your point, NYC1010, but I think HEP is right. Yes, Dean Brown has said that he finds a lot of recommendations to be generic and not useful. BUT, think about this: You apply to Fordham and get waitlisted. When your file gets re-read in April or May, Dean Brown and company say, "What separates him from the other 500 applicants on the waitlist?" All you have is your application, LSAT score, transcript, and maybe an LOCI. The adcomms are gonna want to see something else. At this point those generic reccos are going to help you, even if they just provide a slight bump in the right direction. Just the fact that you made an effort to obtain those reccos might push you over the edge, in the end.

Remember that admissions is, mostly, a game. You might as well play with a full deck.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Rock, as per usual, makes some excellent points here.

Bottom line, if you don't, it just looks lazy (or worse...)

NYC1010

Postby NYC1010 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm

Good points----totally hear ya. Appreciate the advice. Hopefully i can just get a 169 or above on saturday and my acceptance will be more or less guaranteed.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:45 pm

Got the status checker/went complete today. Reading about several people on here getting a decision rendered status without receiving any e-mails isn't helping with my work productivity..

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”