Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cr1stina

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby cr1stina » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:34 pm

In regards to aid, my parents are pretty poor and my brother is in college but I also included half a years worth of my own income working at an investment bank (though I don't make a crazy amount) and I received 10k need aid plus 20k/ yr in merit aid.

If anyone wants more specifics they can pm me.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm still looking at around 120k in loans, I'm not sure if I'll need less though since I've never lived in NYC and I'm hoping to also find a place for under 1700/month

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:45 pm

cr1stina wrote:Edit: I forgot to mention I'm still looking at around 120k in loans, I'm not sure if I'll need less though since I've never lived in NYC and I'm hoping to also find a place for under 1700/month

Very possible with a roommate.

Perplexed Penguin

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:00 pm

cr1stina wrote:
Edit: I forgot to mention I'm still looking at around 120k in loans, I'm not sure if I'll need less though since I've never lived in NYC and I'm hoping to also find a place for under 1700/month

You could probably live for around 800 + food a month if you are ok with living on the upper west side with a roommate and if you want a little bit more of a commute you could live for 600 + food in the Kingsbridge area of the Bronx. Keep in mind that the 1 and 2 stop at Lincoln center but if you can suck up walking 10 blocks you can go to Columbus circle and add the A, C, B, D lines to your options, which opens up a huge chunk of the city to you. Living around the law school would be one of your more expensive options and you can cut the cost way down with a $109 a month metro card.

cr1stina

Postby cr1stina » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:
cr1stina wrote:

You could probably live for around 800 + food a month if you are ok with living on the upper west side with a roommate and if you want a little bit more of a commute you could live for 600 + food in the Kingsbridge area of the Bronx. Keep in mind that the 1 and 2 stop at Lincoln center but if you can suck up walking 10 blocks you can go to Columbus circle and add the A, C, B, D lines to your options, which opens up a huge chunk of the city to you. Living around the law school would be one of your more expensive options and you can cut the cost way down with a $109 a month metro card.

Yeah...I'm really keeping my options open. I'm just getting scared about the roommate situation. I'm planning to fly up there (from FL) sometime end of July since I keep being told that things go so fast but I just don't know how to find roommates and coordinate with them as well when searching for a place and being pressed for time.

Does anyone have any tips on this? I've browsed craigslist but I would much rate find someone that is a law student.

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:03 pm

I'm pretty sure there is a link provided by Fordham to students who are looking for roommates. Also, here I go with a shameless plug: If anyone is interested in maybe living in BK area, I am looking for one roommate. I already have one other so it will be three of us in total. The neighborhoods in bk we are currently looking at are Park slope/prospects heights/ fort greene/ clinton hill area.

:P

Perplexed Penguin

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:14 pm

Well it was worth dreaming for a week. I got all of my financial info and will have to withdraw.

Lolek

Postby Lolek » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:Well it was worth dreaming for a week. I got all of my financial info and will have to withdraw.

I did my FAFSA a while back already. I just got my admitted student info email for Fordham.

Where do I file for financial aid? I think I read somewhere in this thread they have their own form on there?

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:31 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:I'm pretty sure there is a link provided by Fordham to students who are looking for roommates. Also, here I go with a shameless plug: If anyone is interested in maybe living in BK area, I am looking for one roommate. I already have one other so it will be three of us in total. The neighborhoods in bk we are currently looking at are Park slope/prospects heights/ fort greene/ clinton hill area.

My neighborhood

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
Zarathustraspoke wrote:I'm pretty sure there is a link provided by Fordham to students who are looking for roommates. Also, here I go with a shameless plug: If anyone is interested in maybe living in BK area, I am looking for one roommate. I already have one other so it will be three of us in total. The neighborhoods in bk we are currently looking at are Park slope/prospects heights/ fort greene/ clinton hill area.

My neighborhood

Mine too! (And may continue to be if I get off this waitlist :evil: )

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:43 am

How does merit aid work? Do they usually let you know if you've been offered anything upon first being accepted, or does that come a little later or in the mail?

neptunestar

Postby neptunestar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:30 am

fakemoney wrote:Just got in off the waitlist. Not sure for which program (Pretty sure it's the evening). But after a grueling, grueling wait, I'm pretty excited.

How did they notify you about getting in off the WL?

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:35 am

Last edited by fakemoney on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:02 am

Stringer6 wrote:

My neighborhood

Any good pointers on where to look? I have a car that I plan on keeping for the weekends but I plan on riding my bike into the city whenever the weather permits...

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:24 am

Any good pointers on where to look? I have a car that I plan on keeping for the weekends but I plan on riding my bike into the city whenever the weather permits...

You'll probably have to move your car every few days if you live in any of those neighborhoods.

Cheapest neighborhoods will be prospect heights near the crown heights border and clinton hill. park slope most expensive obviously. how much are you looking to spend? if you want to live in a nicer area, you'll probably pay 2500 at least (for a 3 br). you could probably get a place for cheaper if you lived on the border of bedstuy and clinton hill or on the border of crown heights and prospect heights. you could probably get a reasonable place in South Slope, but i'm not too familiar with that area.

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:33 am

LS-boundNYC wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

My neighborhood

+1 and love it.

Zarathustraspoke-- check out Rapid Realty for those areas. My agent last year had a really good sense of what we wanted and he was able to show us a lot of places that didn't require broker's fees.

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:34 am

fakemoney wrote:How does merit aid work? Do they usually let you know if you've been offered anything upon first being accepted, or does that come a little later or in the mail?

I got notice a few days after acceptance via email.

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:35 am

aaaaaah wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

My neighborhood

+1 and love it.

Zarathustraspoke-- check out Rapid Realty for those areas. My agent last year had a really good sense of what we wanted and he was able to show us a lot of places that didn't require broker's fees.

Thanks.

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:38 am

Stringer6 wrote:

You'll probably have to move your car every few days if you live in any of those neighborhoods.

Cheapest neighborhoods will be prospect heights near the crown heights border and clinton hill. park slope most expensive obviously. how much are you looking to spend? if you want to live in a nicer area, you'll probably pay 2500 at least (for a 3 br). you could probably get a place for cheaper if you lived on the border of bedstuy and clinton hill or on the border of crown heights and prospect heights. you could probably get a reasonable place in South Slope, but i'm not too familiar with that area.

2,500 per person??

Yea I use to live in crown heights so I am pretty familiar with the area. I'm gonna go this weekend and check out the neighborhoods/prices/convenience/etc. Ideally I would like to be not too far from one the bridges so that i can ride to Fordham and save myself some mula on metrocards during spring/summer/fall

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:07 am

Zarathustraspoke wrote:2,500 per person??

lolol i REALLYy doubt it...i think he meant 2500 for a 3 bd

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:16 am

Yea I use to live in crown heights so I am pretty familiar with the area. I'm gonna go this weekend and check out the neighborhoods/prices/convenience/etc. Ideally I would like to be not too far from one the bridges so that i can ride to Fordham and save myself some mula on metrocards during spring/summer/fall

You mean like the 59th street bridge? Astoria/LIC is either cheaper or much nicer for your $ and a hell of a lot closer. Having lived in both neighborhoods (albeit not in BK for a long time now), I think Astoria/LIC gets you more bang for your buck and is closer.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:24 am

How close is Astoria to Fordham? I'm not a frequenter of Ast/LIC so I'm not even sure what trains go there.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:27 am

2,500 per person??

2500 total.

of the neighborhoods you listed, i guess fort greene would be closest to the manhattan bridge. i wouldn't recommend driving though.

Astoria is nice. Long Island City is nice but pretty expensive.

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:32 am

akcorps wrote:

You mean like the 59th street bridge? Astoria/LIC is either cheaper or much nicer for your $ and a hell of a lot closer. Having lived in both neighborhoods (albeit not in BK for a long time now), I think Astoria/LIC gets you more bang for your buck and is closer.

No. I was talking in regard to the manhattan/brooklyn bridge. I haven't really lookd at any places other than those I listed above. I have heard that LIC/Astoria might be a god bet but I have one roommate who is pretty much sold on bk. I think bk is a solid bet if we can find a third roommate. I'll see how this weekend goes in terms of searching. I will probably end looking in LIC/Astoria as well I just rather be in BK because I know the neighborhoods better...

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:33 am

Gemini wrote:How close is Astoria to Fordham? I'm not a frequenter of Ast/LIC so I'm not even sure what trains go there.

By public transportation I believe there is a bus that get's you to Fordham in less than 30 minutes.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:34 am

Zarathustraspoke wrote:
Gemini wrote:How close is Astoria to Fordham? I'm not a frequenter of Ast/LIC so I'm not even sure what trains go there.

By public transportation I believe there is a bus that get's you to Fordham in less than 30 minutes.

:shock:

e: I see no connecting bridge that goes into the city from Astoria. Also, you basically have to get from Astoria--> East side --> West side. Not fun.
Last edited by Gemini on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”