Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
adevotchka
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby adevotchka » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Gotti wrote:$75 a month!?!?!?!? JESUS why is nyc so fucking expensive :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:


I remember living in LA and paying 40/mo for a way nicer gym than my NYSC here (at 89/month). If you just need something basic (weights/cardio) it looks like Fordham's fitness joint might do the trick. I'm actually going to see if I can head over next week and scope it out. My concern isn't really about the equipment but rather whether or not it gets inundated with people at a certain time. Even at my gym I have to wait for a damn cardio machine if I go right after work and it blows.

fakemoney
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby fakemoney » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:20 pm

You can get a membership at Planet Fitness for 10-20$ a month (I'm pretty sure that's the standard rate for all of NYC). Not a lot of amenities and frills -- plus they have no barbells, nor any dumbbells above 60lb. Their gimmick is that they try not to attract the hardcore bodybuilding crowd. However, they do have a ton of cardio equipment and resistance machines. And most locations are open 24-hours 4 or 5 days out of the week. Not a bad option for most gym-goers.

akcorps
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby akcorps » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:22 pm

adevotchka wrote:
Gotti wrote:$75 a month!?!?!?!? JESUS why is nyc so fucking expensive :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:


I remember living in LA and paying 40/mo for a way nicer gym than my NYSC here (at 89/month). If you just need something basic (weights/cardio) it looks like Fordham's fitness joint might do the trick. I'm actually going to see if I can head over next week and scope it out. My concern isn't really about the equipment but rather whether or not it gets inundated with people at a certain time. Even at my gym I have to wait for a damn cardio machine if I go right after work and it blows.

I used to go to a Crunch location that limited you to 30 minutes on the cardio equipment. It would get so crowded people would wait by you if you were getting close to the time limit.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Gotti wrote:$75 a month!?!?!?!? JESUS why is nyc so fucking expensive :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Because it's New York. It is what it is.
And as I said, that's for all-access to a lower-end chain. I posted to give perspective. See Zara's post about Ludlow Fitness - you can also find much more expensive options. You just have to look around.

fakemoney - I've seen Planet Fitness out on the Island, in Queens and in CT but never in Manhattan. Will have to look but I've lived here for a long time!
It's pretty standard to pay at least $50/mo here.

EDIT: fakemoney, I take it back! It appears they have a branch in Harlem.

akcorps
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby akcorps » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:27 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Gotti wrote:$75 a month!?!?!?!? JESUS why is nyc so fucking expensive :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Because it's New York. It is what it is.
And as I said, that's for all-access to a lower-end chain. I posted to give perspective. See Zara's post about Ludlow Fitness - you can also find much more expensive options. You just have to look around.

fakemoney - I've seen Planet Fitness out on the Island, in Queens and in CT but never in Manhattan. Will have to look but I've lived here for a long time!
It's pretty standard to pay at least $50/mo here.

Agreed. Go to a NYC rec center if you want really cheap (and really gross for the most part). I used to go rock climbing at the one on 59th street, but its closed for renovations :( When it gets up and running again, its a small organization that runs a climbing gym in the rec center. Friendly and like $15 for access and gear for day.

EDIT: meant to say people should check it out when its back up and running. Its close to the school and a lot of fun. Their website used to be: http://www.cityclimbersclub.com/ but it looks like they haven't updated in a while. I hope they come back when the rec center reopens.
Last edited by akcorps on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adevotchka
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby adevotchka » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:29 pm

akcorps wrote:I used to go to a Crunch location that limited you to 30 minutes on the cardio equipment. It would get so crowded people would wait by you if you were getting close to the time limit.



akcorps wrote:
adevotchka wrote:
Gotti wrote:$75 a month!?!?!?!? JESUS why is nyc so fucking expensive :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:


I remember living in LA and paying 40/mo for a way nicer gym than my NYSC here (at 89/month). If you just need something basic (weights/cardio) it looks like Fordham's fitness joint might do the trick. I'm actually going to see if I can head over next week and scope it out. My concern isn't really about the equipment but rather whether or not it gets inundated with people at a certain time. Even at my gym I have to wait for a damn cardio machine if I go right after work and it blows.

I used to go to a Crunch location that limited you to 30 minutes on the cardio equipment. It would get so crowded people would wait by you if you were getting close to the time limit.



Oh crunch. It's got to be the most overpriced gym I've seen to date in NYC. Speaking of overpriced gyms, Fordham recommends to e-mail Equinox about their student discount. I'm guessing it brings the price down to 150/month or something.

FWIW, I have a friend who works out at the Columbus Hill NYSC and they've given very good ratings--say the facilities are good, it's roomy with a lot of machines and studios, and it never gets that busy. Likewise, I've been pretty satisfied with my NYSC membership to date, the facilities are really nice, there's a sauna, personal tvs at the machines, and it usually isn't that busy except for 6-8 pm. If Fordham's facilities suck then I plan on keeping this.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:32 pm

adevotchka wrote:
Oh crunch. It's got to be the most overpriced gym I've seen to date in NYC. Speaking of overpriced gyms, Fordham recommends to e-mail Equinox about their student discount. I'm guessing it brings the price down to 150/month or something.

FWIW, I have a friend who works out at the Columbus Hill NYSC and they've given very good ratings--say the facilities are good, it's roomy with a lot of machines and studios, and it never gets that busy. Likewise, I've been pretty satisfied with my NYSC membership to date, the facilities are really nice, there's a sauna, personal tvs at the machines, and it usually isn't that busy except for 6-8 pm. If Fordham's facilities suck then I plan on keeping this.

I was an Equinox member when it was across the street from my old place and the dues were under $100/mo. Now? No effing way. My "home" NYSC is UWS but I go to 3 of them, regularly. Try to go on off times but rarely wait for a machine/treadmill. My ONLY complaint is that the one I usually go to has switched over to 90% machines - I like a nice weight room. But for $75/mo, I'll live. :lol:

fakemoney
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby fakemoney » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:32 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Gotti wrote:$75 a month!?!?!?!? JESUS why is nyc so fucking expensive :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Because it's New York. It is what it is.
And as I said, that's for all-access to a lower-end chain. I posted to give perspective. See Zara's post about Ludlow Fitness - you can also find much more expensive options. You just have to look around.

fakemoney - I've seen Planet Fitness out on the Island, in Queens and in CT but never in Manhattan. Will have to look but I've lived here for a long time!
It's pretty standard to pay at least $50/mo here.

EDIT: fakemoney, I take it back! It appears they have a branch in Harlem.


Another one here:

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:33 pm

fakemoney wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
Gotti wrote:$75 a month!?!?!?!? JESUS why is nyc so fucking expensive :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Because it's New York. It is what it is.
And as I said, that's for all-access to a lower-end chain. I posted to give perspective. See Zara's post about Ludlow Fitness - you can also find much more expensive options. You just have to look around.

fakemoney - I've seen Planet Fitness out on the Island, in Queens and in CT but never in Manhattan. Will have to look but I've lived here for a long time!
It's pretty standard to pay at least $50/mo here.

EDIT: fakemoney, I take it back! It appears they have a branch in Harlem.


Another one here:

--LinkRemoved--

Yeah - I wasn't adding that into the mix because I don't really think of Inwood as Manhattan.
(No offense to Inwood.)

akcorps
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby akcorps » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:35 pm

adevotchka wrote:Oh crunch. It's got to be the most overpriced gym I've seen to date in NYC. Speaking of overpriced gyms, Fordham recommends to e-mail Equinox about their student discount. I'm guessing it brings the price down to 150/month or something.


I can think of many others that are waaay more overpriced. David Barton, Reebok Sports Club, Equinox, Clay, etc. etc. Crunch was (at that time) cheaper than NYSC for me, but its obnoxious. At least one location advertised showers that showed your outline to the people on the floor (they called them peek-a-boo showers, see here: http://www.crunch.com/Locations/New%20Y ... treet.aspx)

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:35 pm

lol people complaining about the price of gym memberships ? haha

wait till you get hungry one day in the caf and spend $7.25 on a damn quesadilla. gotta love NYC

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:45 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:lol people complaining about the price of gym memberships ? haha

wait till you get hungry one day in the caf and spend $7.25 on a damn quesadilla. gotta love NYC

Hey, you!
I've had hella day - about to go for a run, then heading over for an evening of brain-crushing study. You on 6 or in LALSA?

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Lwoods » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:46 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:lol people complaining about the price of gym memberships ? haha

wait till you get hungry one day in the caf and spend $7.25 on a damn quesadilla. gotta love NYC


gem and I met up near Fordham and were having trouble finding a cheap place to eat, so I asked a doorman if he knew of any place. "Not in this neighborhood; go up about 10 blocks". :lol:

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Planet fitness? No thanks...see the fitness thread a few pages back for a lengthy discussion about how wack it is. But I guess beggars can't be choosers, right? :lol:

akcorps
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby akcorps » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Lwoods wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:lol people complaining about the price of gym memberships ? haha

wait till you get hungry one day in the caf and spend $7.25 on a damn quesadilla. gotta love NYC


gem and I met up near Fordham and were having trouble finding a cheap place to eat, so I asked a doorman if he knew of any place. "Not in this neighborhood; go up about 10 blocks". :lol:


The Whole Foods salad bar is now what I consider to be cheap in that neighborhood. Or you can grab something a block over by John Jay. I seem to remember cruddy looking NYC take out joints over there.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:58 pm

akcorps wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:lol people complaining about the price of gym memberships ? haha

wait till you get hungry one day in the caf and spend $7.25 on a damn quesadilla. gotta love NYC


gem and I met up near Fordham and were having trouble finding a cheap place to eat, so I asked a doorman if he knew of any place. "Not in this neighborhood; go up about 10 blocks". :lol:


The Whole Foods salad bar is now what I consider to be cheap in that neighborhood. Or you can grab something a block over by John Jay. I seem to remember cruddy looking NYC take out joints over there.

Yeah, you're better off walking south on 9th.

User avatar
afc1910
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby afc1910 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:21 pm

.
Last edited by afc1910 on Tue May 10, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Lwoods » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:23 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
akcorps wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:lol people complaining about the price of gym memberships ? haha

wait till you get hungry one day in the caf and spend $7.25 on a damn quesadilla. gotta love NYC


gem and I met up near Fordham and were having trouble finding a cheap place to eat, so I asked a doorman if he knew of any place. "Not in this neighborhood; go up about 10 blocks". :lol:


The Whole Foods salad bar is now what I consider to be cheap in that neighborhood. Or you can grab something a block over by John Jay. I seem to remember cruddy looking NYC take out joints over there.

Yeah, you're better off walking south on 9th.


When my friend from hs first moved to NY, she moved into the Archstone at 50th & 8th... and she kept referring to 9th Avenue as Restaurant Row. I never spent much time in Hells Kitchen (I spent most of my college life below 14th street and my post-college life off the 6 train), so maybe that's what the locals really call it, but I just found it funny. "It's just 9th avenue!" :wink:

akcorps
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby akcorps » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:32 pm

Lwoods wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:When my friend from hs first moved to NY, she moved into the Archstone at 50th & 8th... and she kept referring to 9th Avenue as Restaurant Row. I never spent much time in Hells Kitchen (I spent most of my college life below 14th street and my post-college life off the 6 train), so maybe that's what the locals really call it, but I just found it funny. "It's just 9th avenue!" :wink:

I think this is from another time, but still applies somewhat to the restaurants that cater to the Broadway show goers. Apparently 9th used to be full of butchers, green grocers, and cheese shops and was the place to go for specialty foods. You can still find some butchers and the like, but I think its just a ghost of what used to be there.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:34 pm

afc1910 wrote: There is a halal truck,a taco truck, and a breakfast cartby Fordham.

this is all you needed to say. i'm sold :mrgreen:

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:35 pm

8)
Last edited by MrSoOoFLy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:38 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:I'm still at home in Long Island... going to drop off a late lunch for my gf and then head to the law school caf; I'm probably going to do a 12 hour study session with a break at midnight to pick up one of my friends in the day program from soho and kidnap him to Fordham to study for the last half of it.

Cool cool. Tell the gf I said hi! :D I'm going for a run, then meeting study buddy in the cafe for an evening of Tortage.
See you there!

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gemini » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:34 pm

1- you guys are all talking about gyms but can't you just use Fordham's? Does anyone know the state of their gym? Do they have mats, balls, dumbbells?

2- The lack of a whole food area by LC concerns me, as I'm planning on living SOMEWHERE in the neighborhood.

3- 12 hour study sessions???? :shock:

bartleyrat
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby bartleyrat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:07 pm

i used to live midtown west...if you're looking for cheap and relatively convenient gym i'd check out http://www.midcitygym.com/ def more of a weights gym, and its in a basement (think rundown high school gym) but does the trick

play2win
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby play2win » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:05 am





Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”